[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is being a video game developer a terrible job?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: errtgtg.jpg (140 KB, 950x534) Image search: [Google]
errtgtg.jpg
140 KB, 950x534
Is being a video game developer a terrible job?
>>
It'll definitely ruin videogames for you

you start going from "Hey, that's kinda neat" to "Hey, that's kinda neat, I wonder how they implemented that" and "Why the fuck didn't they do X"
>>
mobile?
indie?
tripleA?
>>
There is no job security.

Better off working in another field that benefits from the same skills.
>>
Being a video game developer seems to be hell. You're overworked, comparatively underpaid(compared to regular software development), and are working on some relatively cutting edge stuff. From that standpoint, making video games is already a bad job.

But some people just really want to make a game and enjoy doing so, and that is a good enough reason for most.
>>
shit pay
hyper competitive job applications
long hours
crunch time
frequent layoffs after a game ships

why would you ever want to work for video games?
>>
>>333294287
All of them
>>
Any job is terrible.
>>
being an indie it's pretty comfy if you have good taste and can do everything by yourself like cave story and spelunky

it's shit if you have to put up with other developers ruining your game with their bad taste and shitty ideas, be it indie or a big studio

I'd rather just be a wageslave working a job I don't care about than picking the latter option
>>
File: 1438991590754.jpg (102 KB, 942x1080) Image search: [Google]
1438991590754.jpg
102 KB, 942x1080
>>333294229
this.
>>
I'm an indie dev, I do what I love, work from home, and have no boss. It's the best thing ever
>>
It's another passion job essentially - shit pay, low security, shitty hours

you only do it if you really like it cause any business pays better
>>
File: 1436224005983.jpg (332 KB, 895x680) Image search: [Google]
1436224005983.jpg
332 KB, 895x680
>>333294574
underrated post
>>
>>333294039

what part of game development do you want to focus?

programming? CGI? art department? sales? marketing? the idea guy? writer? the guy the glue all the pieces and create the final product? the jew aka producer? the beta tester? the payed journalist? the shill?
>>
>>333294229
it'll ruin bad games for you
>>
>>333294815
>tfw you spent 3 years making a game and it sells like shit
Just kill me senpai
>>
>>333295836
Shoulda let me fuck the mom
>>
>>333295836

the lesson here is marketing > product quality
much cheaper to viral market a bit than improve a product to a level where it makes a lot more sales
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.