[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is more choice better than less choice? What if you make
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7
File: 1448284285956.jpg (238 KB, 709x1017) Image search: [Google]
1448284285956.jpg
238 KB, 709x1017
Why is more choice better than less choice? What if you make your character wrong?
>>
>>333256643
>What if you make your character wrong?
That's one thing I always find offputting about rpgs, especially older ones. I get invested in the story then find out I made a shitty character and have to start over again and it sucks
>>
>>333256643
>What if you make your character wrong?
The fuck does that mean? You can't make a 'wrong' character in Fo1 and 2. All builds a viable.

The only arguably 'wrong' thing you can do in them is not getting your Agi to 10. And even then, if you're playing a non-combat character 6-7 is probably fine.
>>
File: 1458474511951.png (518 KB, 1366x1536) Image search: [Google]
1458474511951.png
518 KB, 1366x1536
>>
>>333256643
more choice is only better if the difference it makes is significant
like having 20 filler skills that dont actually affect anything since the only way to get through the game and enjoy it is to dump all your point into one of the 5 useful skills, thats just bad design, youre putting shit on an equivalent scale when the magnitude of their usefulness throughout the game isnt anywhere near equivalent
"filler" is bad, dont do that
>>
>>333257230
>2 AP
What can you even do with that?
>>
File: 1455696265737.gif (1 MB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1455696265737.gif
1 MB, 250x250
>>333257230
>2 AP
>Big guns: 170%

How does it even work?
>>
>>333256872
You can make plenty of wrong chars in FO1/2. A lot of skills are pretty much useless.

>>333257751
Jet?
>>
>>333256643
Why is choice better than no choice? What if you make your character wrong?
>>
File: 1310671996285.jpg (11 KB, 297x275) Image search: [Google]
1310671996285.jpg
11 KB, 297x275
>>333256643
>>What if you make your character wrong?
That's the question your parents obviously forgot to consider before making you.
>>
>>333256643
>more choice

The thing about this its like the tests for IQ to just a person overall based on IQ test alone which is pretty general, but it doesn't show its personality, instead you throw in some personality test among with actual hands on task test to determine its character.

Now ? comparing Fo4 and older Fo ? its like just a simple IQ test, where it will be able to improved and broken when the person keeps training for that specific task.
>>
>>333257829
Nah, psycho, gives +3agi and makes meleeing more comfy
>>
>>333258261
Holy cow since when are we able to make children according to our whims and min max him
>>
>>333258341
Why not both? Or do they not stack? I never used drugs in 2.
>>
>>333256643
Then you use your brain to figure shit out if thw game you are playing isnt shittly made.

Because at the core that is what rpgs really are, choice and consequence.

Stats either open or close choices to the player and sepending on how high or low a chosen stat is the consequences of may change or alter tje outcome of things.

So in a well made game more and different stats are considered better since it makes the experince more varied and interesting, which helps make an experince entirely ones own, that only you can have depending on ones choice of level up/upgrade path.

On the other hand most devs would rather coddle the player since review score are an end all be all for the most part and most game reviewers are emotional sacks of shit who suck at vidya, then level sytems are toned downed to make it so that a player can be superman esque and do everything no matter what invalidating stats tobthe piint of pointlessness since the shitty reviewers have suprisingly vast fan bases who hinge on their every word.

So more choice is generally better as it allow a wider varitey of choices and consequences to be experienced by a player. So then it allows for a greater sense of personal investment to the player as they see the impacts of all the choices happen before them which depending on how varied stats are will help any experince be unique to ever player adding a t
>>
>>333258371
We should be, luddites are the ones moaning with 'muh natural'.
>>
>>333258261
Savage
>>
>>333256643

More choice is not necessarily better. Neither is less choice inherently worse.

What it is all about is complexity. You could make a complex game with few choices, and you can make a simple shallow game with lots of choices.
>>
>>333256643
Your decisions only matter if you can make bad ones. Having useless skills twists my nipples though.

Age of Decadence did it well aside from Hybrid builds.
>>
File: sundown.jpg (267 KB, 707x1000) Image search: [Google]
sundown.jpg
267 KB, 707x1000
The chance that I'll make my character wrong isn't that much of a big deal next to being able to make that character in the first place.

Common sense and putting some thought into what you want to get out of a character or a playthrough are usually enough to prevent any major mistakes.
>>
>>333258535
This guy gets it. I know some people like false choices, because avoiding them makes them feel superior, but those choices don't really add much. Having lots of actual choices though, that's pretty cool.
>>
File: ouch.gif (8 KB, 328x235) Image search: [Google]
ouch.gif
8 KB, 328x235
>>333258261
>>
>>333258261
Oh
Snap
>>
>>333256872
>The only arguably 'wrong' thing you can do in them is not getting your Agi to 10. And even then, if you're playing a non-combat character 6-7 is probably fine.
Arguably wrong.
Even for combat 5 is entirely fine. there is enough to raise it later.
>>
You can play Fallout 1/2 with the shittiest build you can make realistically and do fine.

Playing evil in Fallout 2 is probably the hardest way to play, no matter the character you build.
>>
>>333258535
>More choice is not necessarily better. Neither is less choice inherently worse.
No, less choice IS inherently worse. It is just that, in contrast, more meaningless choice is not better than having only a few choices.

If you previously had 5 viable choices, only having 3 choices now is objectively bad.
having 27 choices where it is divided in 3 subsets of 9 minutely different choices is what is bad about the quest for more choices.

> You could make a complex game with few choices
No. complexity is entirely caused by the number of possible deviations. There can be no complexity with only a few options. The differences´ quantity is just as important as the quality.
>>
>>333258535
More is not ALWAYS better. Take that screen of the old fallout games. What's the difference between 98% and 99%? Is there even a difference? How much or how might must a stat be for the increase to feel legitimately different from previous performance?

Stat systems like FO1/2 and even ME1 were bullshit because sure there was "more", but the numerical values were fucking pointless.
>>
>>333262278
>complexity is entirely caused by the number of possible deviations. There can be no complexity with only a few options. The differences´ quantity is just as important as the quality.

But that's just the point.

If a game gives you 9 options, but those options don't lead to any meaningful difference or give any sort of useful information or result, then they were pointless.

I'd rather have 3 options with more distinct differences and outcomes than 9 options with very little difference.
>>
File: image.jpg (573 KB, 1500x1714) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
573 KB, 1500x1714
Honesty who cares about in depth customization? Literally adds nothing except making the character creation more complicated and isn't needed. Simpler the better
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.