[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck is up with Path of Exile's skill tree? Can
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 5
File: 7pr5E9ba.jpg (1 MB, 3965x3715) Image search: [Google]
7pr5E9ba.jpg
1 MB, 3965x3715
What the fuck is up with Path of Exile's skill tree? Can someone explain this shit to me?
>>
>>333250501
Protip: It's not a tree
>>
it's really bad.

A lot of skills slots that don't feel like they do anything at all.
>>
File: smugiki.jpg (22 KB, 473x357) Image search: [Google]
smugiki.jpg
22 KB, 473x357
>he plays arpgs
>>
Your starting position on the tree is dictated by your class.

Connecting lines between clusters are typically core stats int/str/dex

Clusters are themed around a certain attribute denoted by the icon in the middle.

Larger nodes can be/are build defining abilities that are usually a give/take, as in you can't crit anymore but enemies can't evade your attacks, or you can have 2 totems but you can't directly attack yourself, etc.

It's really not that bad.
>>
The good:
- It's (almost) classless

The bad:
- Its structure makes no sense.
- Its complexity isn't beneficial in any sense, it's just there to look cool and attract autists to the game.
- It's not really a skill (usually understood as an active special move) tree, ust a bunch of +X% modifiers and passives.

For a classless system Titan Quest did it much better.
>>
>>333250772
That actually helped a lot.

>>333250682
First one I've played, and I'm really enjoying it honestly.
>>
>>333250772
This. Its scary to look at until you start to read into it more. Find neat clusters you want for the spec you're making and try to make a path to get what you need. The rest will follow, it becomes super simple when you dive in and yolo for a bit.
>>
>>333251072
>The good:
>- It's (almost) classless
This is bad.

There's no fucking point in having classes if you're not going to reinforce any archetype.
>>
>>333251209
>There's no fucking point in having classes
yep. could've stopped your sentence there
>>
>>333251209
the ascendancy expansion added a lot of reason to go certain classes
>>
>>333251209
This isn't true anymore. Starting class is a huge factor now with ascendancy classes.
>>
>>333250501
We call it the skilldrasil.
>>
>>333250501

How about stop playing shitty fucking video games?
>>
>>333250501
looks like some sphere grid gone horribly awry
>>
>>333251391
>>333251451
Ah that's right, haven't played in over a year.
>>
I wish more games had skill trees like this, am i the only one that loved the sphere grid?
>>
Looks like a shitty copy of FFX Sphere Grid
>>
>>333251451
>ascendancy classes
Just started playing, and am level 14. What the hell are ascendancy classes?
>>
>>333252035
after you complete the labyrinth you can ascend

read up on it
>>
Step A: Get the character planner and find the skills you want (totem damage for example)
Step B: Level up to those nodes.

There's not that much freedom, going anywhere for any reason isn't going to work.

The rest of the game is grea though.
>>
>>333252035
Now and then you'll find these challenges in certain dungeons. Complete all six challenges and you can access the Labyrinth. Upon completing the Labyrinth you can choose one of three (one for the Scion) Ascendancy classes. You get two points per completion, once per difficulty for a maximum of six points. I'd suggest reading up on the ACs available to your primary class and choosing beforehand.
>>
File: FFX Sphere Cancer.gif (148 KB, 2200x2000) Image search: [Google]
FFX Sphere Cancer.gif
148 KB, 2200x2000
>>333250501

Gee, let me think what this reminds me of...

...oh wait, they ripped this straight out of Final Fantasy X. Sphere Grid was fucking cancer.
>>
>>333252452
>gif
>not having laughingtidus.jpg fade in slowly
>>
>>333251072
>Its complexity isn't beneficial in any sense, it's just there to look cool and attract autists to the game.

1st difficulty: I don't know what I'm doing
2nd difficulty: breezing through with OP skills
3rd difficulty: can't survive beginning because of not having minmaxed skill tree

There are very few specific builds for certain characters that can make it in late game
>>
>>333252552
>There are very few specific builds for certain characters that can make it in late game
Not true at all. Perhaps not every build, but there's definitely hundreds.
>>
>>333252552
they buffed literally every skill last patch

you can do whatever
>>
>>333252793

I didn't really mind not making it in late game because I don't think every exile is good enough to face Goddess McQuadTits. If they've really buffed everything so that people aren't left out then that's kind of a shame I think.
>>
Dude sphere grids lmao
>>
I'm playing PoE for the setting/story.
>>
>>333253929

Me too. And I'm too shit at late game to do that properly. And all the Youtube videos are about builds, loot and grinding. They skip everything else.
>>
>>333252452
>all the effort that was put into that
>they still leave that Kimhari there instead of fixing the typo
>>
>>333253929
>>333254046
I've clocked 376 hours into the game as of today, and I still have no idea what the story is about. I know I'm an exile and that one guy in act 2 spits at the thought of exiles.
I have no idea who Piety really is, or why I help/defeat her over and over again
>>
>>333250682
aRPGs are the ultimate form of escapism for those who really, really hate their lives.

Surprised they're not big in japan.
>>
>>333254046
Find some really OP build to carry your through? As I understand, you can make a more or less passive build where you drop a totem or two and just run around while they kill shit. Normal seems really easy to me, anyway. Or maybe try Summoning witch?
>>
>>333251163

Its scary to get into
Its actually fairly straightforward to make mediocre builds
Its hard to minmax

A lot of people keep saying small increases dont matter. But they do. And at some point in the tree it is all about pro con situations. Do you want more of this defence, or rather more dps. Does a certain node give you a breakpoint in dps, does a certain less efficient pathing on the skill tree net you more stats so you do not have to use gear with stats?

Its a nice take on skill trees, albeit not my favourite.

My favorite will for the foreseeable future still stay Ragnarok Online. The simplicity that hid the complexity is what i always loved. 6 stats with a max of 99 points allocated, and each goddamn point had to be tought trough well.
>>
>>333254427

Protip, you get most of the story by reading the shit in certain areas, reading fluff on items and talking to people.

Protip, piety is literally a whore.

>>333254780

Totembuilds are easy as fuck to survive with. Current meta builds are Bladefall, either with poison or totems or self cast. Literally anything bladefall is great.

I also have fallen in love with ED/Contagion, the xp is amazing. And if you have some currency, literally any voltaxic build carries hard.
>>
>>333254926
Maybe I should have been a little clearer. I just have no interest of the story in the game at all, I'm just in it for the grind and progressing as far as possible in maps.
I find it hard to give a crap about the story in any game. I like literature and movies, but when it comes to video games I'm only interested in the gameplay. If a game is too focused on the story and forces it upon me I will find myself giving up the game pretty fast. Some people will accept a decrease in quality of gameplay if the story can make up for it, but not me, I'm just looking for the most enjoyable and satisfactory gameplay.
>>
>>333250501
it's more like a passive tree. Take FFX's sphere grid and remove the skills and there ya go
>>
take every node that gives health or resistances on the path to resolute technique. ignore everything else as defense is the only stat you can ever build

enjoy your stay
>>
>>333254926
What about Necromancy? Is spamming minions viable? I remember that was silly strong in D2. Maybe augmenting them with some auras or curses. I'd really like a build that isn't just using one skill over and over, some variety is always nice. Are Vaal skellies as cool as they look?
>>
>>333250501
It's just a boring sphere grid
>>
>>333256107
Summoner builds work, they got too many buttons for my liking though.
Vaal skellies is great on more glass cannony builds, because they're pretty great at tanking anything that doesn't spam aoe.
>>
>>333255287
That's one of things I like about PoE, the story/lore is there, but it's completely non-intrusive so if you don't care, it doesn't really bother you at all.

I wouldn't mind D2-style cinematics, though. You can skip those as well if you don't care.
>>
>>333256107

Its funny, summoners are one of the most active builds you can play. To the point where you run out of keybinds and gem slots.

Vaal skellies are cool, but only usefull on bossfights, other minions can be pretty enjoyable if you are into summoning builds. But they are a tad inferious to meme builds.
>>
>>333250501
it is not a skilltree, jackass, that´s what´s up.
>>
>>333257001
Well, I'm just looking to have some fun, I'm not even sure I'm going to get to the highest difficulty before just rolling another character to try other things. I'm not really a hardcore ARPG player. I like how my summoner plays so far, with varied summons and buffs.
>>
>path of health nodes and poor optimisation
>>
>>333257143

If you are trading, look into getting vaal haste, vaal summon skellies and maybe eventually a +2 minion levels helm.
>>
File: fucking Venetians.jpg (258 KB, 717x930) Image search: [Google]
fucking Venetians.jpg
258 KB, 717x930
>>333250501

Whatever your thoughts are on the games themselves, Titan quest/Grim Dawn remain as the best skill trees in all of ARPGs

So much build variety and fun while still being easy to use and simple to understand, no bullshit maximum good times.
>>
File: u_nwah.png (8 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
u_nwah.png
8 KB, 320x320
>1hp build
>energy shield only, immune to chaos
>energy shield bleeds
>>
>>333250501
It's sole purpose is the illusion of depth.
PoEbabbies will defend it with their lives but really it's just a shallow connect-the-dots mini-game
>>
>>333257284
Thanks for the advice, I'll check it out.
>>
>>333251072
>- It's not really a skill (usually understood as an active special move) tree, ust a bunch of +X% modifiers and passives
No, it is not a skill tree, period, but a bunch of passives and percentiles that are essential nonetheless.
the skills come from the crystals in your gear.

You complaint is as retarded as claiming that vampire bloodlines is a shit shooter.
You hold it responsible for not being what it is not supposed to be.

Do you get mad over the fact that toilet paper makes for shit writing material too?
>>
>>333257468

summoning so fucking slow
and there is no way in hell to survive the toughest difficulty

every boss after act3 merciless will totally wipe you out, even with the best gear in the game (i have it all)
summoning is totally worthless
>>
>>333257486
The complaint about BL having shit combat is an absolutely viable one. It's a game, it has combat, combat sucks major dick. And no, it's not "good for an RPG", it's fucking terrible, System Shock 2 has better combat and System Shock 2 combat is a fucking mess. Bloodlines combat is Morrowind tier bad. Well, okay, maybe that's too far, but you get what I'm saying.
>>
>>333257632
Act3 merciless bosses will wipe out anything that isn't specifically built around hardcore. You're full of shit.
>>
>>333257632

Pretty much >>333257998

Also, if you invest into summon resists a bit trough jewels, or auras, you can deal fairly well with bosses. Fuck, killing bosses on my animate weapon dude was the easiest i have ever done them.
>>
Can someone explain to me the difference between % increased shield and % more shield again? % more shield was near the immune to chaos damage last I played.
>>
>>333259145

More is a multiplier, increased is well just an increase.

So first you add together all increaseds then multiply it at the end with more. And yes, the MORE ES is behind CI.
>>
>>333250501
it's useless and only serves the purpose of tricking new players into gimping the shit out of their character and only finding out until level 50. it's basically just stack health or energy shield nodes
>>
>>333259145
More is always much, much better than increased because it multiplicative instead of additive.
If we assume you have 100 damage if you have 5 sources of 20% increased damage you end up with 100 x (20% + 20% + 20% + 20% + 20%)which is 200 damage. If you have 5 sources of 20% more damage you end up with 100 x 20% x 20% x 20% x 20% x 20% which is about 250 damage.
>>
>>333250501

It's a time sink trap. No respecs in PoE so enjoy picking the wrong shit as a new player, getting 100 hours in and finding out your character is objective shit and needing to start over.
>>
>>333260770
PoE is built around leveling new characters. That's why it has a new league every few months. All games are time sinks.
>>
>>333252452
yeah but the devlopers of PoE are actually not retarded and the sphere grid functions like one
>>
>>333260770
That's wrong though, if you read the skills you're taking and plan ahead it is now very hard to fuck yourself into a corner so bad you need to respec more than 10-15 points (you get something like 18 free). Most of the trap options are gone, and even the "subpar" skills are more than good enough to clear all the content a new player will be reasonably expected to reach. If they take a bunch of es nodes then wear no es and try to use blink arrow as a primary damage skill. Well, that's on them.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.