[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hyper Light Drifter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 207
Thread images: 30
File: 20160405003610_1.jpg (180 KB, 1912x1072) Image search: [Google]
20160405003610_1.jpg
180 KB, 1912x1072
Surprised no one is talking about this. It's stylish, challenging, twitch-based, and (besides the unintentional slowdowns during battles with lots of animations) is a lot of fun. Anyone else tried it yet?
>>
It looks like shit and better snes games play better than it. There's nothing unique about it.
>>
>Nobody is talking about it
>Several threads were made before
>>
Waiting until pay day.
I've liked the look of it for a while.
>>
Finished in 5.5 hours and uninstalled
It was okay, nothing special but it wasn't bad at all, wish it had more content
>>
>A special thanks to Anita and Zoe Quinn

What did Hyper Light Drifter mean by this?
>>
>>333239240
that it's a shit game
>>
File: 20160405005314_1.jpg (148 KB, 1912x1072) Image search: [Google]
20160405005314_1.jpg
148 KB, 1912x1072
>>333239240
Where did they say that?
>>
>>333238965
I`ll buy it for you anon.
>>
>>333239889
I don't think you will
>>
So far I find it too minimalistic and 2deep4you.
>>
>>333240370
I think the story is fairly straightforward. I like the design choice of having no written or spoken words. I forgot how to get to that goddamn bird who lost her eggs, though. I've been searching that goddamn mountain path for like 30 minutes.
>>
>>333239817
Special Thanks. It's in the Credits.txt file in the game's directory as well. They also thank Phil Fish and many other rainbow hair coloured special snowflakes because they belong to the same clique.
>>
File: YW1MmlW[1].png (17 KB, 921x97) Image search: [Google]
YW1MmlW[1].png
17 KB, 921x97
>>333238731
So does a 100% playthrough of this game have a crazy high skill requirement or something? Not a single person on Steam has done one yet?
>>
Anyone doing new game +? I managed to clear the top area but had to stop because the birds give me cancer.
>>
>>333239889

will you buy it for me?

[email protected]
>>
>>333238731

>no one's talking about this
>literally two 500 hundred threads a day since release, even has it's own general

why do shills shill
>>
>>333240817
Not many people played it and those who did got bored inside 5 hours. Guess not a single autist bought the game yet.
>>
File: 1459779721243.png (63 KB, 566x446) Image search: [Google]
1459779721243.png
63 KB, 566x446
>>333240817
that achievement is currently bugged

>>333238731
here have some cloak info OP
>>
>>333240603

>I find the story fairly straightforward

Whatever you thought the story was, you're wrong.

The entire thing is a metaphor for the Dev's battle with his terminal heart disease. Drifter dies at the end because the dev's upcoming surgery doesn't have a high chance of success. The whole game is the dev's way of coming to terms with his really fucking awful illness.

He didn't name the company "Heart Machine" for nothing.
>>
>>333240210
Who says I wouldn't?
>>
>>333240981
>tfw my fuchsia is bugged and I got a second blu-green
>>
>>333241065
What a self-centered prick. Well guess he managed to scam people over kikestarter to fund his heart surgery
>>
>>333241065

Yeah this is the only thing that makes sense. The story is a jumble of metaphors about dying/imminent death with random homages to other things.
>>
>>333241065
This bothered me
If I was dying and my last work would be a video game, I wouldn't skimp and cut corners and blame my illness.
It'd be a fucking magnum opus.
Of course easier said then done.
>>
File: image.jpg (267 KB, 1068x419) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
267 KB, 1068x419
>>333238731
We've had these threads at least 5 times a day
>>
>>333240638
That is a crying shame, I was hoping those faggots would slowly die from the dev world.
Seriously, though. I am frankly amazed there is anyone on the planet dumb enough to take Anita Sarkeesian at face value.
>>
Yeah dudes, it's soooo fun
Just like Zelda and Dark Souls combined!
Bought myself and ALL my friends copied!
You should too!
>>
>>333241297
i got two pinks for some reason

haven't found any others
>>
>>333240603

>design choice of having no written of spoken words

This isn't a good design choice just by default (though it can be great when used correctly), and it's not used to good effect either.

They tried to pull of a "show, don't tell" method of story telling, which IS good. Unfortunately, they thought that "words" = "tell" and that "pictures" = show.

But that's not how it works. What's supposed to happen in the narrative is we're supposed to experience the plot progression for ourselves, events take place that include us, or through our actions we discover more of the story - instead, all we got was exposition in the form of pictures instead of words. From the moment we stepped into town to the moment we descended into the final boss chamber, there was absolutely no plot progression.

The choice to use just pictures makes it a fuck of a lot easier to translate into other languages, and since it's a small team it's a very effective design choice that reduces the workload significantly. However, when you remove the words you're supposed to replace it with actual events, not picture boxes. It didn't help to improve the story in any way, shape, or form.
>>
>>333241536
Silicon Valley and, well, the entire state of California is full of rich, dumb, and naive people, Anon.
>>
>>333241097
Just a little hard to believe someone would be kind.

Steam ID is RileyVace.
I always get people gifts back eventually
>>
>>333241724
Go beg somewhere else faggot
>>
Does anyone have the pictures with the maps of each area and their shards/keys/unlocks?
Thanks in advance.
>>
>>333241646
Willing to bet that if someone could pull the stats from the backers on kickstarter at least 40% would come from California alone.
>>
>>333240638
Well shit. Should this be an indication to not buy this game or can I look past this?
>>
>>333241960
Pirate the gog version. Not worth buying even if it wasn't developed by assholes.
>>
it's fun but the game should realise it isn't dark souls and hide everything from the player
>>
File: Capture.jpg (21 KB, 688x222) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
21 KB, 688x222
>>333241724
This is you, right?

Yeah, no thanks.
>>
>>333241349

>used Kikestarter to fund surgery

This is 100% correct. Personally, I'd probably do the same thing if I was in that situation and had that opportunity, but that doesn't really make it less deplorable.

>>333241382

>random homages to other things

Fucking yup.

Giants? In because he liked Nausica.
Fucked up ending? In because he fucking loved Evengelion.
Anubis shit? In because one of the animators fucking loves Egypt shit.

>>333241423

The whole story is

>drifter's sick
>the illness is catching up to you
>try to beat it
>oops well, you're dead
>at least there's robots and giants and egyptian shit

I mean, it's not the worst, but it certainly wasn't what I expected when I saw the original trailer with fucking Cthulu in a tube.
>>
I wanted to like this game so badly, and seeing the likes of zoenitaphish thanked in the files churns my stomach. Is Transistor any better?
>>
>>333241960
Are you for fucking real dude
>>
>>333242078
just torrent that shit nigga
>>
>>333242070
Undertale isn't a bad game, just all the shit posting on /v/ about it is. And the stupid fan base but that comes with a lot of series.
>>
>>333242076
>You walk past tube robo cthulu in the lab
>He doesn't punch the glass anymore
RIP

But thats not quite the story
It's more along the lines of
>All races and machines were developed in the lab
>Creators (most likely the drifters race) searching for immortality, made an immortality gene but ended up corrupting it to use as a weapon because human nature (this is translated from the tablet)
>Machines were infected with the virus and there was a fuckhuge war
>The drifters are directed by the lab AI (anubis) to find the heart and purge it before the corruption catches up and kills them
>You purge the system and everything resets.
>>
>>333242078

>Is Transistor any better?

Loaded question.

>Is it better than HLD?

Yes.

>Is it a good game?

Meh.

>Gameplay
+ Good core mechanics
+ Customization
+ Effective use of TBS mechanics in an ARPG game
- some shitty powers
- failure is not handled in a good manner
- stopping time is OP

>Story
+ good overall plot
+ fun characters
+ ties gameplay to character development in an organic manner
- illusion of choice
- non-resolution ending

The music and graphics are pretty great, but they aren't as memorable or moving as Bastion was.

It's not truly a bad game - all the core mechanics and ideas are solid. They just made a number of missteps with the execution,so it ends up being a good but pretty flawed experience.

The only thing Hyper Light Drifter got right was the core combat mechanics - everything else just has so many flaws.
>>
>>333242606
It isn't a good game either.
>>
>>333242717
Yes it is

>>333242698
I loved transistor but got completely bored of bastion after a few hours in.
I thought transistors art and music was 10/10 but hated the look of bastion and found the music boring or bland.
>>
>>333242178
I did I hated the game, but sorely wanted to like it
>>
So I wake up in the dude's house, and read the thing on the table. Then I look around town. I go the way I expected the game to want me to go, the crystal area to the west, since the big shiny purple diamond the on map in the dudes house is directly to the left of the town.

And furthermore, after going far enough into the west area, I meet the fucking guy who helped me out, and he tells me to gather all the purple squares, which I do. I come back, and the guy is gone. I go forward even more and come to the first boss I've seen, and I've been beating my head against a wall trying to kill him for the last hour.

I got so frustrated, I decided to look up "Hyper Light Drifter first boss" in YouTube to see if I'm timing my dodges right, or missing some mechanic, only to find out you were expected to go north. Whatever.

I'm tired. I'm done for the night.
>>
>>333243034

Meh, Bastion honestly doesn't have a very engaging combat system - just extremely fluid and customizable (UNLIKE HYPER LIGHT DRIFTER). I can definitely understand why people would drop it for that.

The art is the exact same as bastion minus the big heads - Bastion just goes for a rural look, while Transistor goes for urban. I'll admit I probably shouldn't have put graphics in there as being worse than Bastion - it's literally the same exact animators and character designers.

Sound design is again very similar - Bastion goes for more of a western approach while Transistor focuses on a more modern and electronic approach. I'm sticking to Bastion being better though, especially when the dev's themselves say they enjoy (and enjoyed working on) Bastion's soundtrack more, and the fact that Bastion actually won awards for it's music while Transistor wasn't even in the running for any awards.

Bastion's sound design probably starts off a little slower, but it gets really, really good. Transistor's starts off a little better, but never really gets as good as Bastion.

I mean, how can you not like Spike in a Rail?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQWAcgefsQQ
>>
None of the backer's bosses/monsters are included in the game at all.
Fucking scumbag,
>>
File: HLD_FinalBoss_NoUpgradesRun.webm (3 MB, 500x275) Image search: [Google]
HLD_FinalBoss_NoUpgradesRun.webm
3 MB, 500x275
ez game
>>
>>333243956
east is easiest, west is hardest

that said, i was able to beat west with no upgrades so its still doable
>>
>>333243956

You were expected to go East. East's area is easy enough to defeat without upgrades, the boss is the easiest, and the gun you get is the most useful.

There's a dog in the center of town that the camera fucking focuses on when you enter it. Any time you get closer, he goes towards the east, eventually leading you to the next screen.

I mean, I have a lot of fucking problems with Hyper Light Drifter, but they designed the first part in town perfectly.
>>
>>333238731
>twitch-based used a positive descriptor

ignore the shit controls and 30 fps right?

30 fps is inexcusable and makes the game unplayable. don't settle for less. not even in things you pirate, in things you play at all. how many of you have never played some of the greatest games of all time on nes, snes, genesis, but stomached thsi 30 fps garbage
>>
File: No Upgrade HLD.png (243 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
No Upgrade HLD.png
243 KB, 1920x1080
>>333244196

>ez game

agreed
>>
>>333244238

I hate to sound like a casual, but are there any invincibility frames on the dodge at all? I keep trying to dodge at the right time, but I think I just need to keep my distance more in general.

>>333244339

Now that you mention it, there was a dog. I didn't follow it, because I wanted to explore the town first. I peaked my head out south, got the first money point thing, which I couldn't figure out what it was for at the time (I first thought they were going to make a heart container). Then I went back into town, looked around again, went inside where I woke up, and looked at the table and saw the map, which I thought was pointing west because of the purple thing.
>>
>>333238731
Pixel art is 3/10 at best
Looks clustered and smeared together
hard to look at.
>>
>>333244621
no not at all, not even when you're hit
>>
>low-fidelity pixel art
I fucking hate this trend so much. These games could be so much more visually appealing with higher-res pixel art.
>>
>>333244789

That's good to know. The way he moves, and turns transparent and flickers through the dodge makes it look like it he should phase through stuff. I guess I'm too used to Momodora IV.
>>
>>333244621
no iframes, dash is strictly for getting out of the way. with the western boss, time your dashes with his sound effect, and remember to dash away, not towards or around. also, it sounds counter-intuitive, but try to work a slash or two in between his, it seems to stall him just long enough to dash away safely and the damage builds up
>>
Didn't they forget to include like 90% of the kickstarter content that they got money for?
>>
File: transistor.jpg (230 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
transistor.jpg
230 KB, 1920x1080
>>333244146
Nah the art styles are totally different, bastion has this really gross colour palette where everything is oversaturated and eye raping while transistor is consistently fucking beautiful and uses softer colours and better use of lights. Transistors overall setting of electronic victorian is also way fucking cooler too.

I don't remember any of the music in bastion standing out before I got bored.
Meanwhile transistors very first song alongside that opening sold me on the game inside 10 seconds and that almost never happens in videogames.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfAuWjCXwnw
>>
>>333244924
the drift slash from sword shop can phase through enemies
it eats lots of stamina though
2 damage
>>
>>333243956

Dude, the dog was literally right there. If you didn't pay attention, that's your own damn fault.

Not that you should've had any problems with the west boss anyways, he's easy as fuck. I suck at action games in general (took me hours to beat Dark Souls first boss) and this guy took me 4 deaths.

100%-50% Health:
>Dash x2, Attack x2, Dash x2, Attack x2, Dash x2, Attack x3, Dash, Wait and avoid bullets
>Repeat ~6x or so

49%-0% Health
>Dash x3, Attack x2, Dash x3, Attack x2, Dash x3, Attack x3, Dash, Wait and avoid bullets
>Repeat ~6x or so

Just make sure he crushes 4 of the Crystals on his first rampage, and you've practically won it already.
>>
>>333244924
no you're used to every single video game ever, since the 1980s, flashing your character to indicate a moment of invulnerability

shit like this is why the game is just outright bad, not the lack of iframes, but the inappropriate visual message

I deleted the game immediately when the left stick was used for aiming and the right stick left unused. Just indicates a horrible, terrible game designer who doesn't understand games at all.
>>
>>333245013
>I don't remember any of the music in bastion standing out

leave
>>
So now after the dust has settled. /v/ was once again right about a game. Hyper Light Drifter is the SJW indie pixel pile of shit game pandering to furrys that we all expected. Its just a huge EVA ripoff.

I just want to thank my homies from the last days who united with me and backed up against the SJW shill propaganda.

keep up the good fight and take care of yourself. The indie developer warchest is huge granted by jewmoney from kikestarter so the Shills are everywhere and everyone. Dont trust anyone even yourself.
>>
File: Transistor_red.jpg (226 KB, 1911x1043) Image search: [Google]
Transistor_red.jpg
226 KB, 1911x1043
>>333245013
I listen to transistor's soundtrack every week its so fucking good
>>
they should've hired a real artist to at least LOOK at the game before they shipped it out

jesus fucking christ has the artist never even heard of linear perspective or what had to go through the game after a few shots of bourbon because it was pissing me off so bad
just glad I didn't pay for it fuck
>>
>>333244932

Yeah, I found a rhythm with him before I gave up, with:
dodge --> dodge --> 2 swipes --> dodge --> repeat
but the best I was able to do was get him to around 40%. It was always the fucking adds that got me. If it was just one-on-one, it wouldn't have been a problem.

>>333245079

Yeah, I already said I saw the dog, but I didn't follow him right away because I had to explore the town first. Then I looked around south for a bit, and checked the map in the house you woke up in.

>>333245182

I'm not using them, but doesn't mouse and keyboard let you walk and shoot?
>>
>>333244621
I did west first too anon and its 100% do-able.
You kite the boss into attacking his minions while they're still trapped in crystal so it doesn't become a clusterfuck later and then just play around his pattern.
If it's still too hard for you then go get some upgrades then come back, get chain dash first then either bullet reflect sword or charge sword after.
>>
>>333245361
>If it was just one-on-one, it wouldn't have been a problem.
bait him into killing all his minions before he has a chance to summon them
>>
File: phil-fish.jpg (16 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
phil-fish.jpg
16 KB, 600x300
>>333238731
>2d 8-bit indie game
>i-its stylish
>>
>>333241065
Npice. beats the That Dragon Cancer guy.
>>
>>333245289
It just sells the setting and tone so well.
>>
>>333245361

If the west is really that difficult for you, then you can easily defeat the frog boss first (he really is pretty easy, even gets stunned by his own minions) which unlocks the shotgun.

Which gives you a 5 damage attack that you can unload on the West boss in between his attacks

>Dodge
>Dodge
>Sword Swipe
>Shotgun

Literally does ~18 damage in one of his tantrums.
>>
>>333245454
>That Dragon Cancer

Jesus fuck that was disgusting.

Making money off of your dead child.

At least Heart Machine guy is trying to continue living - he's literally working (and scamming) for a living. Dragon Cancer fucking monetized their child's death.
>>
>>333245813
Liberals, not even fucking once.
>>
File: 1422892703856.jpg (110 KB, 2000x1028) Image search: [Google]
1422892703856.jpg
110 KB, 2000x1028
Yeah it was fun for about thirty minutes as that was the combined length of the boss-fights. So on a ratio of 0.5 to the total length of 4.5 I can say that the ratio of fun to total game-time is about 1/9. Not worth even pirating.

A great example of a good game to pirate or maybe even buy is the Talos Principle, now that's a game I'm really having a good time in.
>>
>>333245183
Overrated post
>>
I really enjoyed it, but then again I went in expecting a Zelda clone with an interesting artstyle. In that respect, I was very well rewarded.

Collecting shit was fun, and there were a few sections that had me scratching my head briefly and feeling very clever when I found how to get to them. Getting the extra 4 triangles in the East zone gave me a cool mini-dungeon with an arena fight and a neat new gun at the end, and it felt like a good reward for slogging my way across the map back and forth for so long.

Had kinda hoped we'd get to fight the EVAs, though.
>>
File: 1432849498001.png (13 KB, 418x359) Image search: [Google]
1432849498001.png
13 KB, 418x359
well I liked it
>>
>>333246020

>Boss Fights were fun

Sorta. Some were, some weren't.

>Great bosses

White Beard was fucking great - I just wish that he got extra health/strength when he destroyed his minions to make it a choice whether or not to deal with him + minions or hulked up White Beard.

Harvey Birdman's DDR contest was fucking awesome, even if it ended up being pretty easy once you figured them out.

Grim Ripper in the South was fast paced and fun - one of you is going to eat shit within 15 seconds of him spawning.

>Boring bosses

Pepe is beatable in 30 seconds and can be hit stunned so bad that he can't attack you.

Mr. Bullet Hell was fucking boring - if you rush him you can kill him before he even starts his second attack sequence.

The Archer AND the Sorcerer are both so fucking boring that I don't even have a name for them AND I had to look them up since I remembered there were 4 south bosses but 2 of them sucked.

>That's it? Bosses

Literally Heart Cancer was actually pretty good for the first form of the final boss. Unfortunately they fucking FORGOT TO INCLUDE THE NEXT TWO FORMS. Seriously, just when it's speeding up and I'm having fun with the boss, the fucking fight's over.
>>
>>333246673

>hugging ledges to hear the robot beep makes you feel clever

whatever floats your boat
>>
>>333246020
I dropped talos principle in the middle of egypt because I was so fucking bored.
Yeah I get that the puzzles are good but running around placing random objects back and forth is just not fun, portal was way better because fucking around with gravity and physics is actually fun.
>>
>>333238731
>challenging
?
>>
File: 1420769926529.jpg (26 KB, 600x375) Image search: [Google]
1420769926529.jpg
26 KB, 600x375
>>333246673
>Collecting shit was fun

>hugging walls constantly is fun and challenging
>>
File: 1432394757338.jpg (29 KB, 704x396) Image search: [Google]
1432394757338.jpg
29 KB, 704x396
>>333247060
But the puzzles in portal are so fucking braindead, like holy shit.

At least Talos makes you think, and I love the themes.

Makes me feel like a smart gamer, portal makes me feel like a dumb dumb gamer with pretty effects ooo you did it :DD.
>>
>>333247219
I don't care about the puzzle difficulty as much as I care about the game being fun and creative, jumping down a pit and catapulting from a wall is great. Dropping cubes on the heads of turrets or firing them along orange slime is great.
Talos principle you could turn into a board game and absolutely nothing would change and that just sucks.
Theres probably some fan test chambers that are hard as balls anyway.
>>
>no puzzles
>combat is boring because enemies only have one attack pattern and are limited to 3 or four in an area
>most difficulty just comes from the game throwing a bunch of fucking enemies in one room
yea this game was a disappointment, hopeful the sequel is a large improvement

>>333244994
I believe co-op and bossrush were left out
>>
File: 1457347400237.gif (996 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1457347400237.gif
996 KB, 500x281
>>333247561
>Fan test chambers
>Aka community shit
>Not in the base game

P l e a s e. I guess it's fine if you can derive enjoyment out of silly stuff, even though it's very simple. I just can't get on a level like that.

Besides, you'd have to be nuts to say that the puzzles in Talos are NOT creative, because a good puzzle is always creative.
>>
>>333246673

Can't agree with most of that.

>Zelda Clone with interesting artstyle

If you stripped away the interesting combat, actual puzzles, good story, alternative weapons/tools, plot progression, and meaningful upgrades, and then added a dash mechanic, then yes, it's pretty much a Zelda clone.

>Collecting shit was fun

The only shit to collect was either poorly hidden in a path with little to no indication (a blue rag doesn't indicate a hidden path if the previous 15 blue rags were placed identically next to complete dead ends), required you to hug the empty ledges until you got close enough for your companion to light the way (which is just wall hugging with an extra button), or it's in a random enemy with no indication whatsoever. On top of it there's virtually no indication that you've found a the secrets in the area, and the map itself is very poor in explaining what area you're in.

It all has simple solutions too.
The companion could easily have been upgraded with sensors to help you find the secrets, or even just indicated that there's still some on the screen that you haven't collected.
There could also have been a currency system with measures that prevent grinding (like depreciating currency from the same enemies), or they could even have just had more elite enemies and less mooks and have all the elites drop chips. All the mooks were fucking piss poor and boring after you saw them the second time - there's maybe 2 enemies that have alternate attack patterns.

>Good rewards for extra triangles

I like extra levels, but what they offered was just more mook fights - they weren't challenging, just boring and tedious.

>Good gun

If it's your first gun of the type, it's decent - but the two best guns in the game are gained from the North boss and the East boss, and there's no reason to ever switch from them.
>>
>>333247737

>sequel
>doesn't realize the game's story is literally about the dev accepting his imminent demise shortly

...anon...
>>
>>333240971
Who the fuck do you think made the maps and >>333240981 - I have like 60 hours into it already, either that achievement is broken or there is like one gearbit that nobody can find.
>>
>>333247775
Running back and forth placing objects and that's it isn't fun anon.
That 1 second aha moment is not worth running back and forth like a delivery boy for 5-10 minutes.

Portals core mechanics are actually fun to just play with, all it needs are harder puzzles.
>>
>>333247928
So the game is an allegory about life?
>Full of broken promises
>Short
>Generally not enjoyable except for a few short parts.
>Extended effort yields minimal rewards
>You can never really communicate with anyone properly.
>Then you die

Nice, I like it more now.
>>
>>333247737
>>333244994

From the previous thread:

>co-op campaign
>competitive mode
>challenge mode + co-op challenge mode + online challenge mode
>ravenous mire
>burning cavern
>Vita port currently being internally questioned
>Wii U port currently in limbo (doesn't matter whose fault it is, Heart Machine promised it in their stretch goals when they weren't 100% certain it would work)
>B-Side OST Remixes will not be featuring Baths (the creator of the trailer music) or Luke S.

Challenge Mode was supposed to include
>Boss Rush
>Speed Running
>Leveling up

But apparently they said they included it and are happy with how it is.

I'm still pissed off because I backed it only when it reached Co-Op stretch goal BECAUSE I wanted the Co-Op with my girlfriend. Now they're not even certain it'll ever be in.
>>
File: Tease.jpg (145 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
Tease.jpg
145 KB, 960x720
>>333248052
I don't even understand the 'delivery boy' premise, sounds like something an idiot would do. Might as well say that portal has 'delivery portal' premise where you have to deliver portals after the 'aha' moment.
>>
>>333238731
Oh god it's gonna be another meme game shitposted to death like Undertale.
>>
>>333248087

Shit, that actually makes the whole thing easier to stomach. In a dark humor kinda way.

I like it.

Seriously though, Dev's got terminal heart problems and may not even last through the development of all the ports - a sequel's 100% not on his agenda
>>
>>333248195
You pick up a jammer or a crystal or a fan and just run around placing them on shit until eventually it works.
Thats not fun. Flinging yourself from a 20 story high wall, landing on a bounce pad and catching a cube in mid air is fun.
>>
>>333248276

Not really.

Most of the backers are pretty pissed off that they missed some important stretch goals (co-op, challenge mode, and ports in particular), and most of every one else think's the story's pretty lackluster and the whole game feels unfinished and buggy.

The only reason it's even getting attention is because it looks half decent for a pixel shit game and the core combat mechanics feel good.
>>
File: Cute.png (1 MB, 725x899) Image search: [Google]
Cute.png
1 MB, 725x899
>>333248392
We're at an impasse, then. I like the puzzle-elements of puzzle games, while you like the excitement.

Doomed to never comprehend each other, let us settle the discussion on a positive note.
>>
File: Mickey & Donald 3_00000.png (27 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
Mickey & Donald 3_00000.png
27 KB, 256x224
>>333248492
>is because it looks half decent for a pixel shit game

kek, not true at all
>>
File: 1498062153528770964.jpg (32 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
1498062153528770964.jpg
32 KB, 800x450
>>333248558

it does look half decent for a pixel shit indie game, but that's because shit like pic related is it's competition

compared to actually good pixel art games, it's fucking awful - it doesn't hold a candle to things like metal slug
>>
>>333248558
Most people glorifying pixel-shit like this probably have never played actually decent pixel stuff.

It's just 'retro' to them.
>>
>>333248537
I suppose

>>333248558
>>333248735
>Confusing professionals with indies
wew
If indies knew what they were doing they would have jobs.
>>
>>333247820
>interesting combat
>good story
sorry bro

Also the railgun is okay, the pistol is better unless you are REALLY fast at weapon swapping so you can make all three hits of your combo have shotgun blasts in them, in which case the railgun is probably better for the pierce/2 damage in one hit.
>>
>>333238731
>THAT ART STYLE

I am moderately disgust'd.
>>
i backed the kickstarter one hundred years ago, so i guess i already own the game? havent downloaded it yet tho
>>
>>333248959
sometimes, actually most of the time it's hard to tell whats the background and what isn't honestly the art style makes the game difficult to enjoy
>>
File: cg_winterstarlight.gif (9 KB, 192x320) Image search: [Google]
cg_winterstarlight.gif
9 KB, 192x320
>>333248778
There are many hobbyists who do better work than what you see in this game.
>>
File: shitvel knight.jpg (208 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
shitvel knight.jpg
208 KB, 1280x720
>>333248959
same. i fucking hate how every indie pixelshit uses the same tiny feet so quirky art style

pic related
>>
>>333249143
Is that an example because i prefer drifters art to that.
>>
I've played this game for 6 and a half hours and have only beaten two bosses.
Everyone is saying the game is shorter, but I don't see how people are beating it so quickly. The game has multiple points where you'll probably be dying repeatedly, it takes a while to git gud and multi dashing, and exploring every nook and cranny to find as much stuff as possible takes time.
>>
>>333249261
Shovel knight really drives me up the wall. Its a game that could have easily used better graphics, but that style it uses really makes me remember why I don't miss nes games.

>>333249264
It just means you never played good looking games before. Which is the current target audience for Drifter.
>>
File: legend of princess.png (54 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
legend of princess.png
54 KB, 640x480
>>333249143
this was made by one (1) guy

his stuff puts most indie games to shame
>>
>>333249373
You said hobbyist stuff and posted what I assume is hobbyist stuff, I know what good pixelart looks like, I played metal slug.
>>
>>333249418
Oh I know of Derek Yu. The guy barely completes his games. And he's just now getting close to releasing the one game he's been working on and off for five years. He's lazy as fuck.
>>
>>333240981
>that achievement is currently bugged
Oh. How many hours can I expect 100% item collection to take?
>>
I give it a solid 5/10.

It's shallow, simple, does nothing creative or interesting, but at it's core it can be fun.

So, no better than the average AAA game.
Awesome.
>>
>>333249418
But

His games lack direction, they're unpolished, and they're often unfinished.

Say what you like about indie games but atleast most of them are fucking finished.
>>
>>333248087
Did you wake up this edgy or were you cucked this morning?
>>
>>333240981
Wheres the white set at?
>>
>>333242698
>The only thing Hyper Light Drifter got right was the core combat mechanics - everything else just has so many flaws.

Too bad you have a shit taste. I appreciate your effort
>>
>>333245447
you have obviously no idea what style is supposed to mean
>>
File: 1459739505484.webm (3 MB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
1459739505484.webm
3 MB, 800x450
Honestly, /v/ should be loving this game.
It's fairly challenging with plenty of "git gud" sections
There's no hand holding, tutorial is really short and very little is explained to you. How do you get past those pillars with the weird symbol on top? Figure it out faggot
There's tons of secrets, and an observant person will be able to find 90% of them. Just actually pay fucking attention to floor tiles and small ledges you might be able to dash to.
Some of the invisible platforms you can "scan" and reveal are bullshit though.
>>
>>333249418
looks like a zelda ripoff

I have to say that the HLD style looks a lot more distinguish and unique
>>
File: HLD_FinalBoss_NoUpgradesRun0.webm (3 MB, 500x275) Image search: [Google]
HLD_FinalBoss_NoUpgradesRun0.webm
3 MB, 500x275
endboss with no hits and no upgrades, ez

it was actually kinda hard though]/spoiler]
>>
File: ss+(2016-04-05+at+03.53.05).jpg (197 KB, 1464x1080) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-04-05+at+03.53.05).jpg
197 KB, 1464x1080
How the hell do I get that.
>>
>>333251943
use the pulse rifle found in the north and shoot it
>>
>>333251943
Railgun
>>
>system req: 1.2 ghz
Might just get it because there's fuck-all else I can play on this craptop.
>>
>>333251812
how so much damage, why are you switching weapons mid combo? is this some DMC tier cancelling
>>
>>333251981

Fuck so can't get it yet? Fuck this then. Why could this game just be linear?
>>
Don't know If i want to spend my steam bux on this or gungeon desu senpai, I've heard bad things about HLD though, and all the kickstarter shit goals that they decided to not put in is kinda pissing me off when I think about it, as none of it will likely get in from what ive heard about the developer
>>
>>333252057
The 1st shotgun has a real long cooldown before you can fire it again normally.
You can bypass this by using a sword combo and switching weapons.

Meanwhile I just used the 2nd shotgun which fires fucking fast
>>
>>333252057
shotgun has huge cooldown, burn it by canceling with sword combo and then swapping weapons
>>333252170
i would have used that but i didnt pick up anything extra in the no upgrades run
>>
>>333252073
its an optional secret you fucko
>>
>>333251123
East

>>333251758
That game was literally a zelda 2 ripoff, but it was very fun and novel for what it was.

>>333252073
Because linear games suck

>>333252165
It depends how much you like link to the past with more combat and less puzzles.
>>
>>333251812
was gonna pass up on this game but this shit looks like ys and i love ys, assuming most of the shit its been getting is cause

>ree kickstarter
>ree indie
>ree pixel art
>>
>makes a shitty game
>dies
I'm glad everything worked out well in the end.
>>
>>333249418
>legend of princess
Noitu Love 2 is Konjak's best work so far.
>>
>>333252482
Go for it. Must slower start and not nearly as good a soundtrack as Ys, but at least "no story" is an improvement on Ys stories.
>>
>>333238817
Wow. Every single argument you said is bullshit.
>>
>>333241349
How's that wrong?
>>
>>333241586
Huh, I agree actually.

And I enjoyed the game.
>>
>>333252404
>Because linear games suck
wrong

just fucking wrong, just because a game is "open" doesn't mean it's better than a linear game.

most "open" world games, including this one, lack any fucking thought or direction

there's literally no reason to lock that area off with the lazer gun. That means if you did the order "wrong" and you have to first remember that it exists in the first place, backtrack, kill everything again and then get the shit optional thing.

It's just bad game design, probably just a last minute addition since theres I've only seen I think three of them. It's the only gun that works that way too. The only thing that works like this are the key doors which I just ignored for the majority of the game because the "reward" for going through that bullshit isn't worth it
>>
>>333252991
It's a flaw but the game's still enjoyable. It's very telling that the plot is 95% indecipherable until you find all the monoliths, then translate their language and just read words. They tried to show rather than tell, and ended up having to resort to telling anyways.

Still, by the attempt they cut out a ton of extraneous shit that slows the game down, so I think it's still better for it.
>>
>>333253119
>Secrets are "bad game design"
Top kek. It's like you've never played zelda before.
>>
>>333247056
>>333247113
You guys are idiots if you didn't see the tells.
>>
>>333253119
so this..is the power...of the modern gamer...whoaa...
>>
>>333251704
This was my first boss. Took me an hour or something to beat with no upgrades, except for double dash.

Shit got intense. Loving the game so far.
>>
>>333253268
It's not a "secret" you fucking retard

Don't even fucking compare it to zelda because it's vastly different. The "secrets" in zelda are placed in the overworld not in the middle of a dungeon. They also typically give a good reward.

Besides slowly unlocking and discovering the overworld is a key attraction in zelda. Beating a dungeon and then backtracking with your new tool to unlock is fun. That is not the case in this game.

>>333253309
I did backtrack for that area and what was my reward? IIRC one enemy and a shitty key. Fuck off it was just a shitty element, nothing about it was difficult.
>>
>>333253797
And the keys unlock doors in hidden areas that have colors that affect gameplay.
>>
>>333253797
>A shitty key
>He doesn't know
>>
>>333253868
which suck ass and not worth the effort

why the fuck would I waste time collecting these shitty cloaks when I've already beat the game. It's not hard and the cloaks aren't actual gameplay changers just make shit easier. The only gameplay changer is the kickstarter character that plays differently.
>>
>>333254000
You sound like you only play games to say you've beaten them. Some people continue to get enjoyment out of them, if that's not you, you should probably stop.
>>
>>333238731
So /v/, what's all the kickstarter-locked content? I fucking hate that this is a question I have to ask these days
>>
I'm not going to support the game if the devs can't even hold their end of the bargain.
A lot of the stretch goals didn't make into the game.
I don't support liars when I see them.

Todd I will never buy Fallout 4
>>
>>333254085
yea sure have fun collecting your cloaks so your replay value is OUT OF THE ROOF it's literally like playing an entirely different game

I play games for fun. Collecting cloaks, "secrets" or money isn't fun just tedious and a waste of time.
>>
>>333254171
The alternate drifter. Apparently others will get it down the line. I hope it gets fleshed out, because right now the only difference is basic attacks, which are cool and useful in different ways than the normal drifter's, but isn't a huge difference in the long run.

Also rather than kickstarter-locked, it's whale locked, you had to be over a $75 backer to get it.

>>333254254
I play the game because the gameplay is fun, if I wasn't having a good time trying to find stuff and figure out what the cloaks do, I would just not be playing it, which it really sounds like is what you should be doing.
>>
>>333254326
Ok well thanks for your great input. I'm glad we could agree that it was shit game design and you really provided some good counter arguments
>>
>>333254406
I feel like it's pretty simple conventional wisdom, if you aren't having fun with a game, stop playing it. All you're doing here is attempting to declare your tastes are fact, that none of the secrets should exist because they are 'dumb'.
>>
>>333254507
As opposed to you stating your taste is a fact? I provided reasoning as to why my opinion was reasonable

You merely changed the subject multiple times and then resorted to itjustnotforyou.

Yea fuck off kid
>>
>>333254652
Your 'reasoning' is that you don't find it fun, and that therefore it is not fun for anyone. That's called trying to establish your tastes as fact.

Or are we going back to where you said an open world game is not by nature better than a linear game? That I agree with, though in this case I don't feel the game should have been linear, it would be shit like that.
>>
Having to wall-hug all the time just incase you miss something is so fucking annoying.

Also, I'm 3 bosses in and have found 1 single key. Where the fuck are they all?

And another question, if by some miracle you find all 8 purple things, does the 8-piece door give you something incredible?

And lastly, how are you guys switching capes?
>>
File: HLD_Map_1.0.png (2 MB, 3268x2312) Image search: [Google]
HLD_Map_1.0.png
2 MB, 3268x2312
>>333254990
There is a lot of hidden stuff.

Capes can be switched back at your home in town, top left wall has three terminals, left is droid, middle is sword, right is cape.

Pretty much every wall you can walk through is marked in some fashion, problem being the marks are pretty generic and are often nothing, but at the very least it's not 'just hug every wall forever or you'll miss everything' simulator.
>>
>>333254990
>Having to wall-hug all the time just incase you miss something is so fucking annoying.

Pay attention to floor tiles, there's one in particular, a bunch of white rectangles with notches in them in a pile, that almost always indicates a walk through wall.

>Also, I'm 3 bosses in and have found 1 single key. Where the fuck are they all?

Pay attention to your surroundings is really all I can say, look for small ledges you can dash to objects you might be able to walk behind, and switches.

>And another question, if by some miracle you find all 8 purple things, does the 8-piece door give you something incredible?

Matters on what section you're in, East and South 8 triangle doors both lead to new guns that are pretty cool. North leads to a monolith, West leads to a cloak that no one knows what it does yet.

>And lastly, how are you guys switching capes?

You swap cloak/sword/droid at home
>>
>>333255302
>>333255192
The floor tiles can't all be the same, surely? There's like 8 distinct floor types. Got a screenshot of what you're talking about?
>>
>>333255192
Do I have to do something to activate the terminals at home? They're not on.
>>
>tfw the 800 dash challenge was all for naught in NG +
>Still that black cape is sweet
>>
>>333255837
You just have to get some other color set first.
>>
What does discovering monoliths do?
>>
I'd like to play it but it just keeps black screening on me. So fuck you I guess.
>>
>>333256114
That art is fucking sweet.

>>333257209
If you find them all you get a cloak that gives +1 hp
>>
File: WhiteRectangles.jpg (2 MB, 3848x3256) Image search: [Google]
WhiteRectangles.jpg
2 MB, 3848x3256
>>333255586
Sure, here's some examples from all over where walk through walls are indicated by the while rectangles on the floor
>>
>>333257209
>>333257309

+ Backstory if you decipher them.
>>
>>333257291
from http://pastebin.com/3Ytxmw5R
"If you get a blackscreen, try opening the "options" file in the HLD install directory using notepad and change CreateTexturesOnDemand=0 to CreateTexturesOnDemand=1."
>>
>>333257498
Well shit, that actually worked. Why didnt the dev fix it though.
>>
How do I get back to the starting arena from the north?
>>
>>333258051
secret path past the 2 left dungeons
>>
>>333258108
You mean the dungeon to the left of the warp point?
>>
>>333258226
yes, take the left path and then its south of the town
>>
>>333258281
Thanks, I'll check it out.
>>
>>333249545
Derek Yu did Spelunky.

Konjak did Legend of Princess, Noritu Love, and is forever stalling on Iconoclasts
>>
>>333250427
I've got 26 hours on the game (because I'm not too hot on combat with shonky controls)

If you wait a week you can probably just follow the map people are putting together ( /vg/ has it). It has everything except the gold-chips so far.
>>
what do i get for finding all keys/monoliths?

do cloaks/swords carry over into NG+
>>
>>333258974
keys are needed for cloaks (there's only one gate that needs the full 16 keys), and the monoliths give you another cloak
>>
>>333258051
You can always teleport?
>>
>>333259631
I meant the area in which ou start the game.
>>
>>333259937
Ah, cool.

I haven't been back to there yet.
>>
>>333238731
Fuck off shill.
>>
>>333260017
>>333259937
if you go to the top area of the North, then head down the left-hand branch. You come to a point where you use a minteleport pad to move furhter left, and then down... rather than use the mini-pad, there a a building, with a gap and a U shape of trees. You can just across in the corner, and walk through. Then you walk through a second hidden passage south again. This puts you at the top of some stairs down.

If you kill yourself in the starter area (whether during intro, or revisit) you can get that early death steam achievement.

once you reach the start area, you can follow it all the way round to the monolith room, and another mini-pad out
>>
>>333241960
Pirate it
>>
>>333247219
>makes me feel like a smart gamer
Its all just basic laser and button puzzles...
>>
>>333260473
I've made it to the monolith room, some of them are activated, probably the one I discovered prior to that point.

Are the monoliths placed in a certain order based on the area? I could use that to see how much of them I'm missing.
>>
>>333248537
I think you're just too dense and think that Talos Principle's puzzles are hard. Go play Riven so you can have something to actually be proud of.
>>
It thanked anita sarkeesian and zoey quinn in the credits

What the fuck is wrong with you fucking faggots
>>
>>333252813
dev detected
>>
>202 replies
/v/ is shit at detecting obvious shills nowadays.
>>
>>333260851
Phil Fish and Kanye West are in there too. The views/faggotry of the devs don't affect what they've made, so their views/affiliations are irrelevant.
>>
>>333260910
you're the only shill here cooper
>>
Literal pixelshit. Not figurative, literal.
Thread replies: 207
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.