[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wouldn't this kind of procedure have a dangerously high
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9
File: stick a needle in your eye.webm (3 MB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
stick a needle in your eye.webm
3 MB, 720x404
Wouldn't this kind of procedure have a dangerously high risk of killing him? I mean, he's puncturing his own brain.

Speaking of which, how would they go about storing the marker codes in his brain while simultaneously preventing him from remembering said codes unless he stuck a needle in his eye.

I'm so confused, /v/.
>>
>>333183595
>Bang, Bang, Pew, Pew

Never forget the almighty finger bang
>>
>>333183595

Uhhhh shock value?
>>
>>333184006
I very much enjoyed the scene, but looking back on it, the context of what's happening in it is all so vague.

I'm not even criticizing it, it's just that I genuinely want to know what transpired there because the text logs to my memory didn't explain anything.
>>
I'm about to play the entire trilogy right now, give me some tips I wanna play on hard.
>>
>>333184309
Just finished playing through the entire series a few days ago, it basically rounded up to:

Dead Space 1: Use the plasma cutter, only the plasma cutter and nothing but the plasma cutter
Dead Space 2: The plasma cutter, only the plasma cutter and maybe a few other guns for dealing with the little fuckers
Dead Space 3: Pick your poison, there's quite a lot of variety and you can't really go wrong.

While I personally never used it, using kinesis to throw severed necromorph limbs does an insane amount of damage and you should use it if you get the chance.
>>
>Wouldn't this kind of procedure have a dangerously high risk of killing him?

Well it does if you mess up the quick time event.
>>
>>333183595
no, the brain can be largely be mashed and you would still technically live.

Subconscious. It also was not THEM, it was the marker signal itself, and the subconscious nature of the knowledge to construct them is the same that is needed to deconstruct them.
>>
>>333185261
I might be missing something here, but how did Isaac obtain the knowledge to know how to build the markers in the first place?

I can't remember anything that actually triggered it, unless it's enough for them to get imprinted in your brain provided you actually survive the necromorph onslaught and are exposed to the marker's influences for long enough?
>>
>>333183595
Here's the way I remember it

Like the other guy said, the marker put the 'blueprint' in Isaac's mind.
Through the audio logs, you can see that the people who built the marker don't actually know how to build it, but are just following the marker's influence.

The needle pokes the part of the brain where the codes are stored, no idea how that works though.

I actually really like the plot of dead space, too bad there's probably never gonna be a 4.
>>
Is co-op necessary to get the most out of DS3?
>>
>>333186608
They'd literally just have to create Dead Space 1 with a valid reason for why it's being continued, and it would sell so much.

I think they just forgot somewhere down the line that Dead Space is supposed to be a horror game where you're alone 90% of the time.
>>
File: 2016-03-05_00002.jpg (295 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-05_00002.jpg
295 KB, 1920x1080
>>333186897
It does have some genuinely interesting optional missions that would be locked if you were to play single player, but it does take out of the game's horror since you're basically steamrolling with your friend.

Pic related, your co-op friend sees it as a toy soldier (because he's getting fucked up by the marker), while you only see it as a corpse box. There's a lot of subtle horror than just that with the co-op missions and it's a shame they didn't develop on it further.
>>
I'm no doc, but i'm pretty sure even if there was a proper medical reason to do that stuff you'd be fucked if you had to perform it on yourself, and with no experience/education too

They just put that in there for shock value, it's a bullshit segment in an otherwise alright game

>>333184309
If an enemy has some part that's glowing, always aim for that, if not, burn them, if you can't, detach limbs
Third game is bland
>>
>>333184556
I know the Plasma Cutter is great but all the weapons had their strengths and weaknesses in different situations

Ripper
Line Gun
Force Gun
Plasma Cutter
Contact beam
Flamethrower

and so forth. Ds2 perfected all the weapons. I'd say the weakest is the little rivet pistol and the javelin gun (the alt. lightning fire consuming ammo was so lame and still is)
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFAuXTrLvv8
>tfw spess walk
>>
>>333187452
>>333187487
I literally could not for the life of me find a use for the flamethrower. Every other weapon just seemed to do its job better.

How do you make it useful?
>>
I think that the space part of DS3 is pretty gud and on par with 1 and 2.
>>
>>333187687
In DS2 the flamethrower was useful for a few scenarios:
-you're using it instead of the force gun
-You're getting mobbed and need a way to deal a lot of damage all over the damn place quickly
-burning the 3 limbed jumpers and stalkers so they take damage even when they back off
-burning up the pregnant enemies and the swarms they spawn
>burning up a brute and cooking it while its frozen in stasis (no aiming for weak points just toast the fucker)

The flamethrower alt. fire was so useless I forgot what it did.
>>
I liked the DS3 bromance
>>
If you're looking to max out your weapon and armour upgrades, consider carrying the more powerful weapons in your inventory even if you're not using them.

The ammunition is quite valuable for the contact beam, for example, and can be sold at any store.
>>
>>333188063
I used to just use the pulse rifle instead for almost all of those uses you mentioned. Don't you usually just dismember the stalkers and the leapers before they jump on you? (and does that brute thing actually work?)

On my next playthrough I'll have to actually entertain using more weapons I guess, because with the plasma cutter I never really felt the need to change it up.
>>
Was it a dream?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RedMFqYvA2M
>>
>>333184309
I just beat Dead Space 3 not too long ago it was a fucking mess don't waste your time with it and the javelin gun with the electric attachment is so OP that it breaks the game
>>
DS3 Awakened was pretty good, also I want DS4 because of the story
>>
>>333187687
The problem with the Flamethrower is that you have to get so fucking close, which is usually bullshit

But if you actually manage to burn enemies they're usually gonna have a harder time attacking you, seeming to stagger and walk slower, (IIRC)
And it's also good when you're surrounded by several enemies, cause FT has a wider spray of damage than just guns and that sort, like the little hoppkinvile freaks in DS2 and 3
It's also great if you encounter that thing that splits itself up into 10 separate monsters, then FT is better than anything
If you're fighting a brute however, i think it was just crappy

Also, i may be misremembering, but didn't DS have some canisters or something laying around you could throw at enemies?
>>
>>333188732
Yeah stasis and explosive containers
>>
File: wejustdontknow.webm (197 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
wejustdontknow.webm
197 KB, 1280x720
>>333187327
>Horror coop where the game fucks with both players differently.

Shit, that sounds amazing, why don't we have more of this?
It's basically the staple of creating an area/thing of safety which you then subvert by doing things to it, like disrupting communication or recognition of the other player.
>>
File: 20160331233420_1.jpg (363 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160331233420_1.jpg
363 KB, 1920x1080
>>333188385
I liked it too, but it sort of made no fucking sense.
First, you have Carver being a total dick to Isaac (makes sense, he has a no bullshit attitude), then him being a little more lenient because they're back-to-back with each other for basically the majority of the game, but then for some reason after the gas chamber scene, he just totally goes from EVERYONE'S EXPENDABLE to I'm sorry for your loss bro

He was still a bro and kind of funny sometimes, especially when he hassled Isaac for being an engineer, but the character development was kind of unnatural.
>>
>>333188476
>>333188476
Pulse rifle got a stellar bbuff in DS2 but I felt OP using it and also, with so many shooty games I actively tried using the weapons that were less like guns and more like the juryrigged mining tools that the devs were so excited to give out
(I actually think they made the pulse rifle shitty in the first game on purpose).

Anyway to answer your question yeah dismemberment slows them the fuck down. Although sometimes the game will toss in leapers mixed with other enemies and they're fast and dangerous its tough to aim at 4 at a time and carefully remove their limbs. If you miss and take the head off I think they just get more aggressive. Flamethrower can cook four of them at once if they run right in front of you for a tail slash. Least I remember doing this and surviving.

Stalkers are a bit easier to manage once you figure them out. Cut the legs when they charge. Using the Ripper alt. fire was satisfying as fuck; watching them hit the floor when you lop off their legs.
>>
>>333188953
Vermintide does it as well with one mission where you're all hallucinating and each and every one of you sees something different, but it's definitely an underrated feature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ_f5yjXh8c

Check out 4:55, when you're playing as Isaac you look at Carver basically walking towards the woman grasping at thin air before you go and grapple him and ask him what the hell he's doing.
>>
>>333189229
There was a trick with the pulse rifle in that game. Usually if you weren't at least reasonably accurate you would end up having to buy ammo. On the other hand, if you were dead aim all the time you'd end up with an inventory full of pulse for a gun that could handle three slots worth of pulse rounds at maximum capacity.

The thing was demanding as fuck to use effectively, but it paid off in the end.
>>
File: 1431520376624.jpg (25 KB, 492x512) Image search: [Google]
1431520376624.jpg
25 KB, 492x512
>>333188953
>co-op horror game with hallucinations
>you sometimes mistake your friend for a monster
>friendly fire is active
>>
>>333188953
Second player character also sees his wife a lot. It's pretty fun when your co-op partner start telling you about a woman calling him to go into optional rooms or telling you what do do and you don't see shit. But by doing it they basically fucked a guy playing Isaac, while your partner has a time of his life tripping his balls off you have to protect him killing endless waves of necromorphs.

Why no one does it. Same reason no one really splits players for any amount of time. GoW still stays a prime example of how to do a co-op game. Different pathways for different players, etc. But the problem is, only one players will see most of this, if anyone. Some people play this games solo. And content is money.

So we don't see this for the same reason we don't see exclusive missable(Chapter 2 in Witcher 2 for example) routes in RPGs. Content is money and publishers try to optimize development, and wasting money on something only half of playerbase will see isn't the best way to do so.
>>
>>333190015
Protecting someone under the effects of marker sickness isn't so bad if you've played the previous two games knowing how vulnerable it made you in those moments when the voices got REAL bad.

I mean, there were a few times when you ended up killing yourself if you weren't careful - Being there to take care of someone going through that was a nice way of looking at it differently.
>>
>>333190015
I'd like to think that if they'd had more of this kind of stuff in DS3, it'd maybe have received more praise well maybe no because they kind of fucked the story because people seem to have liked the return to hallucinations and psychological horror.

You're probably right on the money in regards to the reason why they don't do exclusivee stuff like this, though.
>>
>>333190373
Meh, Isaac is just a short straw. You see marker sometimes and that's it, Carver is the real deal. I played with someone who never played DS before, so I had to protect him for several minutes at a time, telling him to hurry up. After 3rd or 4th botched attempt(man, you need to attack the marker, not the woman) I just sent him a walkthrough on youtube.It's not like I played as a Carver before, I just knew there will be a marker, it's basically a miniature DS2 boss fight.
I'm not saying the concept is bad. I like the concept, it's just handled poorly,. Not enough content. Well, this might be DS3 motto, reuse after reuse, I swear to god sometimes I wondered if it's a new side mission or we somehow looped back to one we already finished
>>333190417
I'd like any co-op game whee there's actually a co-op, not just an extra dude. Putting a psychedelic twist on it is fine by me.
>>
File: javelin to the face.webm (2 MB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
javelin to the face.webm
2 MB, 720x404
>>333190373
I kind of wish I would have intentionally died on the last boss of DS2 if only to have witnessed this.
>>
>>333189179
I just felt like Carver ended up really respecting Isaac when he realized he was actually a huge badass.
>>
I only play dead space for that satisfying helmet on/off sound
>>
File: DS suit up.gif (988 KB, 300x207) Image search: [Google]
DS suit up.gif
988 KB, 300x207
>>333191847
The animation is even better.
>>
I hope we get to play Carver in DS4 again
>>
>>333192069
Man these suit designs were so awesome
>>
>>333188701
Not happening.
EA killed off the IP because the third game didn't meet their unrealistic sales expectations.
>>
>>333192204
I remember John Carpenter (director of The Thing) going on record saying that he'd very much like to make a Dead Space movie.

Probably our only hope for Dead Space 4 is to wait for the movie to happen if it does happen, and if it does well then maybe EA will reconsider.
>>
>>333190015
I can figure that but it sounds more like an issue that can be solved with good/creative design. In your example they seem to have made the mistake of messing up the balance between the characters, unless they were going for something like >>333190373 said.

If content can't be missable, just make it not missable. That sounds silly but it's not like it can't be done, as long as there is proper planning. Being able to play as both characters for multiple playthroughs being an easy example.

Apparently the game Dungeon Siege had this huge map and unique content that was only available to multiplayer but it's not like it was somehow impossible to make a slightly reworked version that was playable single player (which is obviously what mods did.)
>>
FUCK YOU AND YOUR MARKER
>>
File: 1454552417800.jpg (29 KB, 342x342) Image search: [Google]
1454552417800.jpg
29 KB, 342x342
>>333192094
>He thinks there will be a DS4
>>
>>333192179
My favorite design is definitely the Advanced Suit from DS2.
The helmet for it alone is cool enough to make it top-tier.
>>
>>333193251
;_;
>>
>>333192179
overdesigned imo

You couldn't ever actually make the mechanics of that helmet function, for instance.
>>
>>333193406
I thought it was just a welding mask, safety helmet and flashlight all in one thing.

Though, the other soldiers having similar helmets throughout the games kind of discredits the theory, it still stands because all his shit is centered around him being an engineer.
>>
File: 1452623621041.jpg (57 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1452623621041.jpg
57 KB, 300x300
>that failure cutscene
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.