[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why wouldn't the NX use cartridges? The practical difference
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1
File: nintendo-nx-cartridges.jpg (35 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
nintendo-nx-cartridges.jpg
35 KB, 480x360
Why wouldn't the NX use cartridges? The practical difference isn't very big once when you realize optical drives cost like $40 and you factor in the additional costs of supporting unreliable drives, plus cartridges have all sorts of advantages.
>>
>>333139853
Doesn't really matter. Nintendo has a perception problem. Unless they change that, i.e. get the normies back buying their hardware, they will die eventually
>>
Nintebdo are going full digital.
>>
>>333139853
production costs, production time , shipping costs.
>>
>>333140423
No, they aren't. Nintendo are neither that dumb nor forward-thinking. Besides, it would kill them in Japan, their only respectable territory.

Also, cartridges are the ideal transition from physical to digital, as cartridge readers cost fucking nothing.
>>
>>333140626
>Production costs
Are indeed significantly higher, but a large portion of that is traded off because you don't have to pay for an optical drive and most people don't buy dozens of games.

>Production time
Won't change shit.

>Shipping costs
If handheld and home console games use the same cartridges, it would mean lower shipping costs due to fewer SKUs. SD-sized carts cost fuck all to ship anyway.
>>
>>333139937
That's neither original nor relevant to the discussion.
>>
>>333139853
well, wouldn't this drive off a lot of third party companies? especially since the whole point of NX seems to be to be able to be on par with PS4 and get the same games ported to it?
>>
Finally, we will go back to the days of fast loading games.
>>
>>333141069
No-one will buy a new console for PS4/Xbone ports
>>
>>333141069
>whole point of NX seems to be to be able to be on par with PS4 and get the same games ported to it?
What led you to believe this? It's going to be another gimmick system
>>
It is supposed to blend portable and console gaming. You can't portable on a disc very easily. The hoops PSP jumped through to make that happen hurt them a lot.
>>
>>333141445
Would you put it past Nintendo to deliberately use different media so they can charge you for each platform?
>>
>>333141069
Blu Ray's hold how much memory typically ? 25 40 gigs ? with how fast our technology moves discs themselves have become outdated as Flash memory is now extremely cheap and optimal

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-Backup-Flash-SDCZ40-064G-A11/dp/B001T9AT52

Loadtimes will probably be a thing of the past.
>>
>>333141557
>load times
SD cards are no faster than HDDs. No mandatory install is the real benefit.
>>
>>333141274
>>333141410
Its not the point, but you're kidding yourself if you think Nintendo isn't putting this out ASAP to be in the same catagory with Sony & MS again.

And as an idort, if the NX does perform better than PS4, why wouldn't I get 3rd parties on the NX over my other systems?
>>
>>333141545
I don't think there's anything at all to suggest they're going to do that on the NX so I question the point of your comment.
>>
>>333141670
Because you already own a PS4 and you're not gonna pay another $300 to play the same games. That's what fucked the Wii U despite plenty of 360/PS3 ports
>>
>>333141684
There's little to suggest at all what the NX will be. It's all speculation and presumption based on common sense
>>
>>333140891
Except it is, fucking retard.
>>
remember all those stories about Wii and Wii U optical drives shitting out on people?

Oh wait, no?
>>
>>333142684
The Wii's optical drive was pretty notorious for failing.
>>
>>333142684
my wii drive died on dual layers
>>
>>333142684
>dual layered discs

The best part was if you had a problem with anything running, you could send it in, say "it wont read smash" and they'd replace it for free, even if the console was years old
>>
>>333142684
Read multiple people having to send their Wii Us to Nintendo to get their drives fixed.
>>
It's an interesting proposition and one I think I'd be interested in if cutting the HDD and optical drive out of the BOM led to better internal hardware. Might still want a slot to add an HDD later, though.
>>
>>333143535
They're not gonna cut the HDD and risk missing out on that sweet sweet download/DLC money
>>
>>333143676
They could go with internal flash storage for that. Maybe 128GB, 256GB, or something in between.
>>
>>333143908
Yeah, 128gb internal storage with SD expansion would be nice and probably cheaper than a proper HD.
>>
>>333139853
>Why wouldn't the NX use cartridges?

Why do you think 3rd parties hate Nintendo? Not only their consoles are special snowflakes, they even have to adapt the game to whatever retarded thing they're using because they don't want CDs.
>>
>>333140756
>Are indeed significantly higher,
Not really because when you aren't Sony, you must pay an additional license to use blue ray, or spend money to create your own format. Modern card tech are also way less complex and expensive than in the 80's because you literally put everything in a single chip instead of using wired electronic cards.
>>
discs are much cheaper than carts.
what we NEED to do is get away from this idiotic notion that games have run off of the disc they come on. that is such a major limitation to place on games that they have to be completely streamed from the dvd, modern games just have too much going on and need to be installed to the hard drive. the actual form that the media is stored on (dvd, cart or digital download) doesn't matter, it's only purpose should be to get the information onto your hard drive then you can place the disc on your shelf.
>>
>>333144171
are you retarded? modern flash memory rival blue ray already. And from a dev point of view the only aspect of the tech that matter is storage space and reading speed.
>>
>>333144221
Games already DO get installed to the HDD. Are there any Xbone/PS4 games streaming off the disc at this point?

The point of returning to cartridges would make it so that the game COULD be read right off of the physical media again and at a faster rate than the cheapo HDDs Sony and MS toss in their boxes.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.