[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If gaming is such a big industry, why can't developers hire
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 12
File: Mrgrgr.jpg (61 KB, 370x370) Image search: [Google]
Mrgrgr.jpg
61 KB, 370x370
If gaming is such a big industry, why can't developers hire competent voice actors like the ones in cartoons and movies?
>>
Profits motherfucker. That stuff costs more money.
>>
>tfw friends tell me I should do voice acting
How do you even get into something like that? I'm not going to go to cuck college for it when I already have a degree.
>>
File: better than Hayter.jpg (133 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
better than Hayter.jpg
133 KB, 1920x1080
>>333118807
>>
>>333118807
even easthier would be to compresth audio better
or get the pillow ofth the mic
>>
File: likeigiveashitqshdfpkejvad.jpg (536 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
likeigiveashitqshdfpkejvad.jpg
536 KB, 1920x1080
>>333118807

They do that sometimes
>>
>>333118807

I don't get it.

Bravely Default has really good voice acting.
>>
sometimes they do
>>
>>333118909
Then why doesn't Disney/Pixar pay a homeless guy 20 bucks to voice the main character of their next blockbuster?
>>
>>333119119
I found it cringey enough to mute partway in.
>>
>>333119184

because if you do that for a movie, people will actually care

you can get away with it in games
>>
Wanna pay more?
>>
>>333119184
An expectation of quality. People go see Pixar movies because they expect them to be good, which makes Pixar a lot of money. Therefore, Pixar has to continually make good movies to maintain that reputation. Nobody expects video games to have amazing voice acting, just decent.
>>
>>333120015
>>333120163
With that outlook I'm surprised we've advanced beyond N64 graphics.
>>
>>333120589
Cause people judge on appearance, not sound.
>>
>Tfw I played Conception 2 before bravely default so I can only hear Agnes as Finne
My data was wiped on my 3ds so I had to start that mediocre rpg over again. That was 4 months ago and I still haven't made it back to chapter 4.
>>
>>333121090
>Play the Bravely Second demo
>Main character has the same fucking VA as Tiz
>>
>>333119119
In the Japanese audio, yeah.
>>
>>333121260
Are you kidding me? Is that supposed to be some kind of joke?
>>
>>333121494

English Edea was better than Mio.
Also English Ringabel fits better to 99.9% of english speakers because the japanese type of womanizer is too different.
>>
>>333121838
Never mind, I fucked up. It's a different guy, but he does sound similar. He voiced Jackal the thief in BD.
>>
It would mean less money that could be allocated towards marketing, which is all that really matters.
>>
>>333121974
Ringabel was perfect.
Edea was hit-and-miss. Some deliveries were fantastic, others were physically painful.
Tiz was typical RPG protag-tier.
Whoever voiced Agnes can go fuck herself.
>>
>>333118807
They hire the same three VAs for everything that cartoons and movies do.
>>
>>333121974
>English Edea was better than Mio.
You don't understand moe.
>>
File: 1436060617798.png (68 KB, 264x264) Image search: [Google]
1436060617798.png
68 KB, 264x264
>>333122520
>You don't understand moe.
You don't know my life story
>>
>>333118807
Because gamers don't deserve quality
>>
https://youtu.be/_dETPa6r0bs?t=121

This was the cutscene that made me give up on video game voice acting.
>>
File: image.jpg (40 KB, 332x443) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40 KB, 332x443
>>333118807
But they do at anon, see Paz in Ground Zeroes and listen to twilight sparkle speak next time you're watching my little pony friendship is Magic ( come on dude we've all done it)
>>
File: Mariostanza.png (16 KB, 243x246) Image search: [Google]
Mariostanza.png
16 KB, 243x246
>>333123049
>( come on dude we've all done it)
>>
>>333122989
Why didn't he just throw the bomb over the side?
>>
>>333118987
Find an agent, ask who is Hiring.
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 419x351) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 419x351
>>333122370
>>Whoever voiced Agnes can go fuck herself

But she was *meant* to be Shrill and unlikable
>>
>>333124780
Just like the game was *meant* to be a pile of shit, right?
>>
>>333123358
Remember, this is Square Enix.
>>
Competently acting for videogames can be harder than for animated movies, as the context of your lines can change dramatically from when you're first recording.

Publishers are also cheap outside of their AAA games.

There's also a lot of studios that just have their audio guy ask the contracted help to read some lines and don't really have the skills necessary to get the most out of an actor.
>>
how fucking hard is it to read a couple lines into a microphone
>>
>>333118807
This thread seems to focus on mostly on Japanese games so it's probably localisation issue.

They may pay top dollar for a Japanese voice actor, but who ever they hired to do the English dub will happily handed it off to unpaid interns and pockets the profit.
>>
>>333124780
She wasn't in the Jap audio though. Her Jap voice is really cute.
>>
>>333127215
For English dubs, they use the same people who do them for anime series. People in /co/ Vocaroo threads often sound more convincing than those buffoons.

Do Japanese audiences care a lot more about voice acting?
>>
>>333127860

It's an older industry there and a decent part time job.
>>
>>333127860
>Do Japanese audiences care a lot more about voice acting?
Yes. In Japan the bulk of an anime's production costs goes to paying the voice actors. They also have entirely different recording methods to the west. In Japan the actors all get together in the same booth and record their lines in a long, natural take as a storyboard for the anime plays in front of them, stopping to correct where needed. In the west, you just get one person alone in a booth reading their lines as the voice director tells them how to sound. Or they're supposed to anyway, it seems most western voice directors don't give a fuck.
>>
Unless you actually understand and speak the language, you probably really can't judge the voice acting on anything other than what's simply pleasing to your ears on a aesthetic level.

Presumedly that's how utter awful shit like the original resident evil voice acting got pass.

>>333127860
>Do Japanese audiences care about voice actor a lot more

I don't know about a lot but certainly more, remember audio dramas are still a big thing over there which haven't really been a thing in America since the 50s.

Same applies to Britain actually not that there's much of a game industry but how radio shows and cartoons radio shows.

Really I think it's just America that phone it in.
>>
1) The standards set by the first generation of games with voice acted dialogue were so low that they're still taking time to climb their way back up.

2) The voice actors themselves are unable to properly understand the role and perform accordingly because the subject matter is so weird and Japanese. This problem doesn't occur with films usually because they can at least relate to the characters on some level. English-language movies hire English-speaking actors who have a background in the culture that produced the movie. That's not the case with dubs.

That's not to say there aren't any good dubs, but that the task of the VA is really difficult and so usually they fail to deliver an appropriate performance.
>>
>>333128768

Wait, what, audio dramas?

You mean like how people used to listen in on the radio over?

What next, are you gonna tell me the Japanese eschew calculators in favor of an abacus?
>>
>>333129168
Heh.
>>
>>333129168
Audio dramas do fairly well, I believe. It's quicker and cheaper than making a whole new anime/game/whatever and it's good for marketing and keeping the series relevant a little while longer. Plus you can bundle them up for special editions of things.

It's basically one of the easiest and cheapest ways to sell waifu merchandise.
>>
>>333118807
the problem isn't the voice actors as much as it is there not being any voice directors or anything like that

people need to be told they're pronouncing shit wrong
they need to be given context of the script
but this is ridiculously rare in the industry

the publisher thinks it's worth more to get <movie celebrity> doing the voice acting than to pay a director with experience/talent
>>
>>333128768
>Unless you actually understand and speak the language, you probably really can't judge the voice acting on anything other than what's simply pleasing to your ears on a aesthetic level.
I speak Japanese and there is not a single English dub of anything ever made that sounds better than the original
>>
>>333129928

Dragon's Dogma.
Oh wait that was the original
>>
because gaming is still a very niche hobby outside of the huge publisher AAA garbage
I bet you if you combined actiblizz, ea, and ubisoft against literally every other western dev put together the top 3 would make up at least 95% of the gross total of western game devs
>>
>>333118807
>If gaming is such a big industry.
It's not. The gaming industry is the worst industry of choice if you want to make profit.
>>
Personally I usually prefer the English dubs over the Japanese. Mostly it's because all nips fucking sound the same to me so it gets to the point where I swear there is exactly 5 voice actors in Japan.

Plus it annoys me when I don't understand something and it's not like subs cover ALL spoken voices yanno? Like, yelling things in battle can be pretty hit or miss whether it gets translated or not.
>>
>>333128768
>Unless you actually understand and speak the language, you probably really can't judge the voice acting on anything other than what's simply pleasing to your ears on a aesthetic level.
This has never been the case. Bad voice acting is very apparent regardless of your understanding of the language. Just look at the Italian dub of King's Field 4, or the Japanese audio for Dungeon Travellers 2.
>>
>>333130417
>Mostly it's because all nips fucking sound the same to me so it gets to the point where I swear there is exactly 5 voice actors in Japan.
What a fucking joke. The west is infested with Yuri "One Voice" Lowenthall and Johnny "One Voice" Yong Bosch, and Michelle "One Voice" Ruff, who are in fucking everything and keep using the same goddamn voice. The west has only a tiny fraction of the number of active voice actors in Japan, which is literally in the thousands.
Meanwhile Japan has voice actors who have more range by themselves than the entire western industry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zdSqNhrhWc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY5JWHd3lcc
>>
>>333132397
>Yuri "One Voice" Lowenthall

THE WORST
>>
>ctrl+f "Laura Bailey"
>0 results
good taste lads, she's my vaifu
>>
>>333133187
AKA she's the prettiest one. She's still be your vaifu if her voice sounded like Satan taking a shit.
>>
File: 165387-199639-keiko-yukimura.jpg (10 KB, 146x249) Image search: [Google]
165387-199639-keiko-yukimura.jpg
10 KB, 146x249
>>333133405
No, I love her voice
I didn't even know what she looked like for a long time
>>
File: 1433395851339.jpg (30 KB, 163x285) Image search: [Google]
1433395851339.jpg
30 KB, 163x285
>>333132397
>Yuri "One Voice" Lowenthall
I know it's petty and retarded but I'm at the point now where I've just stopped buying games with him in them as a lead role.
>>
>>333133656
Not retarded at all, anon
>>
>>333118807
All the good ones are on Western games so they don't have to deal with shitty dub scripts. Nolan North and Troy Baker may be forced to do the same voice a lot, but they do it better than anyone else.
>>
File: TNO.png (209 KB, 313x373) Image search: [Google]
TNO.png
209 KB, 313x373
One of the best things devs can do is hire non-english actors for non-english roles.
>>
>>333134398
In the Bravely Second demo, Magnolia uses French phrases but doesn't speak in a French accent. It's painful.
>>
>>333134132
Nolan North is just a good actor. He was the lead in Resonance of Fate, and that was a JRPG that actually had a solid dub.
>>
>>333134398
But why bother when they can just get Americans to poorly fake accents, and the American consumers will be none the wiser?

In this thread was someone praising Dragon's Dogma when that game's voices were fucking painful to listen to because the entire cast is Americans poorly faking British accents.
>>
>>333123049
>Hey can I bring my boyfriend to the con?
>Sure, what's his favorite pony?
>Colt
>>
>>333135024
Yeah, and that was even he was still relatively unknown. He definitely didn't do that shit anymore. Troy is the same, people loved him as Kanji in Persona but he stopped doing it as soon as he hit the big time.
>>
>>333119119
The english dialogue is a bit corny and they ham it up sometimes but I feel it's all intentional to add to the old school jrpg theme theyre aiming for and comes across as endearing to me.
>>
>>333123049
>watching my little pony friendship is Magic ( come on dude we've all done it)
Get the fuck out.
>>
>>333119359
it's as good as or better than most saturday morning cartoons. OP's character in particular was very enduring.
>>
>>333118987
VOCAROO
O
C
A
R
O
O
>>
>>333135615
Troy's not nearly as good an actor, though. He has zero concept of subtlety. Him and the rest of the jokers involved with the Silent Hill HD Collection butchered the voice acting.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.