[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this actually the scariest game ever? Only thing I have seen
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: Outlast-Header.jpg (241 KB, 1920x525) Image search: [Google]
Outlast-Header.jpg
241 KB, 1920x525
Is this actually the scariest game ever? Only thing I have seen come close is Siren.
>>
File: Amnesia grunt.jpg (101 KB, 827x1169) Image search: [Google]
Amnesia grunt.jpg
101 KB, 827x1169
>>333084401

I personally only found the game scary because it's filled with jumpscares.

I found Amnesia: the DD super scary for the first two thirds, though
>>
I found Penumbra: Black Plague terrifying. Moreso than Outlast.
>>
>ooga booga jump scares
Penumbra is a vastly superior game.
>>
Possibly. It's the only game that's ever made me throw off my headphones and pause the game out of fear. I'm highly susceptible to jumpscares, but the atmosphere was really good too. My only complaint about the game is the shitty "stinger" sound that you hear every time an enemy spots you. That cheesy violin screech gets way too overused, and the Amnesia chase music is so much more horrifying.

Penumbra is also scary, but I wish it was just sliiiightly more linear. They really improved on the level design with Amnesia.
>>
>>333084401
It's really not scary. The setting is laughable and elements of the game are underutilized (the camera). It relies too heavily on jump scares. The actual gameplay is pretty boring as most sections of the map are just a couple hallways and your only actions are to run around or just hide in a closet.

The only place that really gave off a cool vibe and was legitimately creepy, for me, was when you go outside in the rain and overgrown park area.
>>
Amnesia and Outlast are only "scary" if you are afraid of the dark.

If you aren't, they are boring shit.

>tfw the horror genre as a hole is always going to be 95% "startled you haha gotcha" stuff in movies/tv/games from now on because humanity is becoming more and more dumb so their brain cant process subtlety or atmosphere and comprehend a build up
>>
>>333086415

>penumbra is also scary, but i wish it was slightly more linear

Nigger.

Shoot yourself. Penumbra Overture and Black Plague are both basically straight hallways.

How do you get lost in either of those? No really.

How?
>>
>>333086686
Blame the people latching onto streamers for making trash like slenderman ez money printers.
>>
>>333087193

>yfw that fucking spider boss that is straight up out of The Thing
>>
>>333086957
My sense of direction is abysmal. I had a perfectly okay time playing one of them, but another one (I think Black Plague) confused the fuck out of me, trying to play it when I was 16 or so. Too many same-y branching hallways and corridors, and doors which I could never remember where they opened to. I'm sure I'd be better off playing it nowadays though.
>>
>>333084401
no, the scariest game ever is subnautica.
>>
>>333084401
Outlast is genuinely a terrible game.
>>
>>333086686
Nah, I'm pretty afraid of the dark and Outlast just straight up isn't scary. It only had jump scares and chase sequences to offer, but all the scares are very easy to see coming and you quickly realize it's far easier to run through and tank a few hit than actually hide. It's just not a scary game.
>>
>>333088007

No if you got lost in either of those games, just stick to something you can handle honestly.

I'm not even talking shit.

I genuinely can't fathom how someone could get lost in either Overture of Black Plague.
>>
>>333084401
I'm such a pussy, I can't even get past the first ten minutes of this game.

I get into the building, the lights go off, and I guess I have to use my night vision camera to keep going and I just nope nope nope out and quit.
>>
>>333088396

That's why I said "scary".
>>
>>333086957
You could probably get lost in the gas mask section, holy shit was it difficult to see fucking anything.

I don't get why you guys shit on Outlast, though. Maybe it wasn't scary (sure seemed like that to me, though), but for all intents and purposes it's still an okay game which attempts to have a semblance of a story and fleshed out villains.
>>
File: 1362047648303.jpg (34 KB, 469x348) Image search: [Google]
1362047648303.jpg
34 KB, 469x348
>outlast is the scariest game ever

/veddit/, everyone
>>
File: thyugstkhaoc4kx485dv.jpg (86 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
thyugstkhaoc4kx485dv.jpg
86 KB, 1280x720
>>333084401
>thinks Outlast is the scariest game ever
>clearly hasn't played pic related
What are you, a child?
>>
Is the game where a guy gets his dick cut off?
>>
>>333093267
The DLC, yeah.
It's not your dick that's cut off, though.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.