[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Those who actually played this.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 5
File: the_evil_within_game-HD.jpg (527 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
the_evil_within_game-HD.jpg
527 KB, 1920x1080
What do you think ?
>>
>>333048406
It's pretty good, the price went down to like 15 dollars, so you should get it.
>>
I was barely a few hours in when i started feeling like i wished it was over already.
>>
>>333048406
It's good, real fun to play if you find yourself getting immersed in horror games too
>>
im playing this now, its probably one of the most generic games I've ever played next to Unit 13.
>>
It's the only game that gets the GPU temp to 85C at it's not that good looking. MGS V and Witcher 3 run at 70 -75C.
>>
>>333048406
It's Resident Evil 5, go for it.
>>
It feels so uneven, both in tone and quality. It can't decide whether it wants to be survival horror, Resident Evil 4, or Resident Evil 6.
It also runs like shit on everything somehow even though it doesn't even look that great.
>>
>>333048406
Easily the worst horror game I've ever played, and I've played Dead Space 3.
>>
File: 268050_2014-10-14_00145.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
268050_2014-10-14_00145.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
Generally mediocre with a few good chapters scattered here and there, and a couple of good key moments.

The chapter where you go to Ruvik's house wasn't one of them.
>>
I really wanted to like it, but I got super bored after playing it for about 8 hours. I knew I was getting close to finishing, but I just couldn't drag myself through and I never could put my finger on what it was that it lacked.
>>
the bit with the spider lady was alright

everything else was meh
>>
First few hours actually creeped me out
>>
I loved it.

It's a bit janky and the story and characters are hooky as fuck. But it just has something special about it. Gameplay has some really neat nuance to it, also some really great enemies and enviroments.

If you like RE4 you will probably like this, if you dislike japanese cheese and want a "serious" horror game you'll probably dislike it. The Evil Within is a pretty bad title for the game. PSYCHO BREAK fits it much better.
>>
>>333049591
>Psycho Break
>That's the actual Japanese tite
damn that's pretty fucking good
>>
>>333048406
Absolute garbage, it's shit. It had a few good moments, but it's overall dogshit. Getting closer to the end is progressively worse. It's not the RETURN TO SURVIVAL HORROR like it was marketed and I'm still piss mad I bought it day one, even though I got it super cheap on PC

It's not worth it, it's just disappointing, boring dogshit. It's like they wanted to do something else but because it's Shinji and because it's Bethesda they probably thought it was best to make it as close to RE4 as possible, when it's really not. It's just a big mess.

If you REALLY want to get it, wait until it'about $10/£10 MINIMUM or less. I don't recommend dropping any more because it's just a crapfest. I was really disappointed, it could've been entertaining but it failed very quickly in.

Best parts were the horror hospital, the baddy's mansion and the part which looks like it was inspired by SAW.
It really could've been something, even if the safe-room was a seperate room floating in a void.

Severely disappointed. Don't go into it with high hopes if you do decide to play it. Also, if it's anything other than PS3 and 360, get ready for a 50 GB install and then a 5-10GB patch (because the game was abysmal at launch)
If you play on PS3/360, be prepared for frame-rate drops too. It's a horribly optimised game even if you have a decent machine.
>>
I like it. It's kinda weird mix between Silent Hill and RE4. Overall design is pretty interesting, i was weirded out by the black bars when i launched it first time, but got used to it. It kinda fits, makes a interesting style. There were few spooky moments, but overall it feels more like RE.

I would like to have a sequel.
>>
I loved it, purchased while it was on sale for 20$ after it was patched and I had a blast.

Still didn't complete it though because I get extremely paranoid while playing since I've had some "silent hill" type of shit happen to me in real life so I got some kind of PTSD I guess.
>>
Mikami's best work to date, surpasses RE and possibly SH.

If you're into horror games unlike most of the shit eaters on /v/ you'll like it.
>>
>>333049475
Probably too much shit posting on /v/. I thought it was pretty good. Not great but it was fun.
>>
>>333048406
I loved it up until the city level and the stupid blood arena with all the eyeballs, then it got really tedious.
>>
The appeal is definitely inaccessible. The gameplay hit's a beautiful balance that's hard but not quite impossibly so (especially considering the first run is essentially just the tutorial, the game doesn't REALLY start until at least Nightmare difficulty), and while its ideas are hit and miss the game NEVER stops throwing new ones at you, making great use of its crazy setting. However, this is all assuming you can penetrate its needlessly obtuse story, its strange focus on character choice (Sebastian is not the character to play as in this game, he's not the most interesting person in the room here), the stranger still lifelessness of said characters, and a setting that, despite having an in-game explanation, seemingly throws you about at random. It's a diamond in the rough if there ever was one. Some bullshit to dig through and most won't be bothered, but those that do may just find something special, but flawed hidden underneath.
>>
>>333049748
The patch was to give u the graphics options to make the game not look like absolute shit and run at 10fps like it did on ps3 and 360 u console peasant.
>>
>>333049463

>walking through Ruvik's house
>go to open a door
>suddenly he appears in front of you and instantly kills you while you're in the animation
>checkpoint was 10 minutes ago

MIKAAAAMIIIIII

that chapter was fucking cancer
>>
>>333049591
Psycho Break sounds badass

This shit sounds generic
>>
>>333049942

I rarely ever actually post, I usually just lurk. It just wasn't that great, even though it was something I'd watched for a while, ever since they put out the live action trailer.
>>
I've tried playing it on numerous occasions, but always give up a few hours in. its just not that good
>>
Wasn't this Mikami's final game?
>>
anyone know how to fix the godawful mouse lag?

it resolves itself if i uncap the FPS but the game shits its pants if you don't cap it at 30 FPS. i'm missing way too many shots I should be hitting
>>
Very disappointed with it. The only good thing in the game I think is the Safe Haven. How it slowly changed through the game was very well done. I looked forward to the next time I could go there to see the different interactions with the haven and the nurse.
>>
>>333049463

>The chapter where you go to Ruvik's house wasn't one of them.

But that's the best chapter in the game.

>God Tier

7, 9

>High Tier

2, 3, 5, 8, 10,

>Mid Tier

1, 4, 13, 14

>Low Tier

11, 12, 15

>Shit Tier

>>
>>333049939
Do not listen to this person. Seriously.
I can't believe anyone could think it "surpasses RE and possibly SH" -- the horror is so thin, it's horror themed with plentiful body horror and that's about it. Atmosphere and spook factor is practically non-existant. I'll admit it has a few good moments, but they are so few and far between, it doesn't get the blood flowing.
It's nice to have some jokes here and there too but it just falls flat in all regards. There's a very small list of buyer's remorse I have, very small, and this is on there along with Lollipop Chainsaw and Deadly Premonition Director's Cut (loved it on 360)

>>333050089
If u could read as good as u type (I'm insulting you, pal)
>I'm still piss mad I bought it day one, even though I got it super cheap on PC
I do have a friend who does have it on console, which is why I know how bad it is in both regards. Eat shit. If you had friends, you would fathom something so fucking simple.
>>
>>333048406
I love it and I bought full price. Best chapters are early ones + the one with the mansion.
All boss encounters are great, especially Laura encounters are really fucking intense.

Hated the gun turret at one chapter and the shooting rail at another chapter very close to the gun turret one.

Atmosphere and style is great, character design is pretty decent. You should definitely play the two first DLCs as well since they push the horror aspect of it even further.

If you are playing it, learn how to use the matches to maximum effect - burning corpses for multi-kills etc since the game is basically RE4 but with no cool melee moves - instead you have the matches you can use on oil spills, corpses etc to start a fire that sets nearby enemies ablaze.

Story is pretty cool too - but you have to play the two first DLCs to get a full grasp of it.
>>
I'd already assumed /v/ had an incredibly shit taste for games but this is on a whole new level.

>>333050612
Shouldn't you be watching Pewdpie's latest screaming video or something?
>and this is on there along with Lollipop Chainsaw and Deadly Premonition Director's Cut (loved it on 360)

You don't even make sense retard.
>>
>>333050612

I played it on PS3 and it ran fine for me. I don't remember any real frame rate issues. It dropped a little here and there but I never felt it was unplayable, and I beat the game twice.
>>
>>333050206
>>333049734
well, they named it Evil Within so it sounds close to Resident Evil (it's the same literal meaning too?)

I wonder if Psycho Break is a homage to Biohazard (Outbreak) or it was something more original they thought of.
>>
could have used a bit more polish, but it was really good. got 3 playthroughs out of it. with some tweaking i thought it was a better direction for RE than 4 was (not the better game though).
>>
>>333050549
I wonder if Ruviks house was supposed to be the ending or something for a while since it so damn good. Maybe the game at one part was more about that mansion.
>>
>>333048406
It has it's moments that are really good, bogged by some really shitty moments. It's a 7.5/10 overall, it's no RE4 from Mikami, but I understand they had some severe issues with development once he came on board to try and revamp the entire game.
>>
>>333050780
It's you who doesn't make sense. How does pewdiepie have anything to do with it? I don't even watch the cunt
I am making perfect sense, how can you be stupid? Re-read the sentence.
>>
>>333048406
Horrible controls and terrible encounter design.

Typically Japanese where everything is layers under layers so you're only gonna understand anything if you properly pay attention.
>>
Played it through twice, got all the collectibles, enjoyed myself thoroughly. Boy is the lighting engine in that game good.
>>
>>333051379

>terrible encounter design

Huh? If there's anything I thought the game excelled at, it's smart enemy placement and, when the game isn't going full Rambo, giving the player several means to approach situations as they see fit. Smart use of ammo, parts, weapons lying around, stealth, and what else have you is what keeps you alive. Make a good plan, stick with it, see it through, and you'll make it to the next room. Fuck it up and you die. That's more or less how I interpreted encounters in this game.
>>
File: 1260879432678.jpg (30 KB, 186x163) Image search: [Google]
1260879432678.jpg
30 KB, 186x163
Are there a lot of stealth sequences in the game?

I'm basically looking for a reskinned RE4 and I hate mandatory stealth sections.
>>
>>333051842
the game, especially on later difficulties, relies on stealth
the stealth in the game is really poor too
>>
>>333048406
It goes to shit after the chapter with the chainsaw boss in the village.
Up until then you have to use traps and conserve ammo which made it tense.
>>
>>333051842

I'm only up to chapter 10 out of 15 but the first chapter has some shitty stealth with a big bad unkillable and you're required to do some stealth kills a bit at the beginning of the next chapter since you start with no bullets

however once you get some ammo and more guns you can comfortably murder everything (which is basically halfway through the second chapter)
>>
Story and atmosphere are absolute garbage if you're actually looking for horror (although there are a few areas that just look good in general).

The focus on stealth makes for some fun, tense open levels and allows the ammo to be very sparse and feel like more of a reward for good play. People like to shit on it for copying from The Last of Us but I think it's a really solid formula to use for survival horror. The guns are also heavy af so getting headshots isn't piss easy all the time.

Some of the mechanics (matches, the crossbow) feel kinda shitty, and it'll probably take you most of the game's runtime to learn how to properly utilize them.
>>
>>333050898
Psychobreak was just because it's easier to say for Japanese people.
>>
File: 1455615066642.jpg (90 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1455615066642.jpg
90 KB, 720x960
I can say I almost certainly hated it, but I still finished it.

So there must have been something to keep me coming back. It certainly wasn't the story or enemy design.
>>
>>333048406
Mikami took stuff from both Resident Evil 4 betas and made it a full game.
It's ok; the dlc is shit.
>>
>>333052090

I wouldn't say I'd criticize the game for trying to copy The Last of Us; it's that it copied it and did a much poorer job at it
>>
>>333051917
>>333052037

I disagree with both of these. The game hardcaps ammo way too hard to do that as enemies are very resilient, some like fake Ruviks will straight up murder your ass if any distractions are around, and while they do drop ammo they don't drop enough to kill anything else if you're low. I found the game ALWAYS required smart use of your weapons. It's possible to play the system like downing an enemy and lighting a match but even that's a decision, trading bullet use for a match, and the game does not let you hold many of either. Same with the agony crossbow, it's stupid powerful but you can't cheese much of anything with ammo caps/part reserves so stingy. And all this is especially true if you play on difficulties higher than Normal.
>>
>>333052465
Fuck AKUMU mode. I have trouble with Amalgam Alpha on Survivor.
>>
>>333052465
The crossbow's a good reserve weapon since there's no cap on trap parts and making bolts doesn't take any time. I only played on Normal first time through but I got to the finale with >100 trap parts pretty easily.
>>
>>333052465

I'm playing on the default difficulty (Survival) so I guess that's why I feel like I'm always pretty stocked on ammo. I do run low at times (that's mostly cos I'm just missing like a scrub) but I always feel like the game gives me more than enough to get by. I've never really had a situation where I'm like, damn, I have to run away from these enemies because I don't have enough resources to kill them with.

Also I have the harpoon bolts at level 4 and still carry around like 50+ trap parts. That shit makes short work of anything
>>
>>333052743

Guess you manage those better than I do. I never had more than 25 or so on my person.
>>
>>333048406
It's better than RE4.
>>
>>333052090
I really loved matches as a replacement to RE4's knockdown and knife method. They're definitely a mechanic where it's very easy to just not recognize the point of them and how good they are though.

My biggest complaints with the game are that the characters other than Ruvik are a total flatline, the enemy variety isn't great and too often enemy-specific mechanics are just a new instakill attack, and for taking place in a setting where literally anything can happen a lot of the settings end up being really bland and boring.
>>
I really liked it. This game is a prime example of why I don't read reviews or talk on /v/ about games until I finish them.
You assholes get so worked up about the dumbest shit and drill it over and over that it actually ruins my experience
>>
I wasn't a fan until I started upgrading my character and the crossbow, then it turned into a jank yet strangely satisfying horror shooter. Was in my Top 5 OTY
>>
its pretty good
>>
>>333048406
it's special moments where too few and far between. overall it was mostly just frustrating to play
>>
Every new console generation has games like these. Forgettable, shitty, and just a plain mess. I couldn't even tell what the developers were aiming for, it was like a shitty version of last of us and resident evil 4.
>>
Couldn't get into it. The story was just a complete clusterfuck of set pieces one after the other. You're a detective, now there's teleporting patients, now you're running from the butcher, next it's the fucking apocalypse, now you're in a forest that's a hospital that's a village. Naw.
>>
File: clip_e-rotic-help_me_dr_dick.jpg (39 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
clip_e-rotic-help_me_dr_dick.jpg
39 KB, 320x240
it was fantastic until the last part when you are gonna kill the main antagonist and it gets curazzzy
>>
>>333048406
It's a horrible slog. I'm amazed it was made by Shinji Mikami.
>>
>>333056869
>stockpiling ammo to use against the final boss
>it's just a rocket launcher QTE
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.