[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am building a game with levels are that contained in the screen,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: SuperCrateBox_01.jpg (62 KB, 530x353) Image search: [Google]
SuperCrateBox_01.jpg
62 KB, 530x353
I am building a game with levels are that contained in the screen, kinda like Super Crate Box. There is no horizontal scrolling (even though there might be vertical).

I am having trouble looking at level design, to make it interesting, and I was trying to find some inspiration.

Could you guys tell me other platform games that have their level container in the screen, so that I could take a look at how they build their levels?
>>
File: Donkey_Kong_Screen_3.png (4 KB, 224x256) Image search: [Google]
Donkey_Kong_Screen_3.png
4 KB, 224x256
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyGYBkxbnmI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPc_aofezjE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zbg9rs5QZY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4M840sJcdc
>>
>>333034260
All cool examples! There is quite action with swords, so I am not doing 100% pure platformer, but thanks. I will watch and ty to get ideas anyway :)
>>
>>333033617
I loooooove Super Crate Box. Is your game going to be similar in mechanics?
>>
>>333035797
It is going to be medieval, with more RPG elements, like leveling up stats, and MANY different weapon and armors.

Im trying to find a good pace for the game.
>>
Just because you don't plan to scroll horizontally or vertically don't mean you have to make your levels static

Constantly shifting terrain could work rather well for a game that doesn't let the character move further off screen
>>
bubble bobble m8
>>
>>333037247
What do you mean with "shifting terrain"? Could you give me an example?
>>
>>333033617
Snow Bros.

Yoy basically have to fill the screen with platformsnd the goal should be easy, like "survive the most time you can" or "clean the level of enemies".

Don't try to put puzzle elements or a story. This kind of games should be fast to pick and play.
>>
>>333033617
Straima is by far the best single-screen platformer I've played. A fuckton of variety in design and stuff to interact with.
>>
>>333037552
That is exactly the planned level goal. Kill all the enemies that come out.
>>
>>333037435
walls don't have to remain in place forever, they could move about every other wave or increment or whatever the hell you're doing, its a more fluid way of doing separate semi random levels

It's hard to really give you an example because I don't know what sort of game you're going for
>>
File: bub-2.png (266 KB, 620x465) Image search: [Google]
bub-2.png
266 KB, 620x465
Look at Bubble Bobble. Very great game
>>
>>333037580
While cool, I am working with bigger assets, so Im not sure I can have that much variety simultaneously on screen

>>333037930
I see. I understood you, but I wasn't sure, so I wanted to ask, in case something was escaping me. Doing dinamic levels indeed, is key. Thanks for the advice.

>>333038020
I have added it to my references list, with all the other games recommended in this thread. Thanks!
>>
>>333033617
try to always every few levels include a new mechanic or something new/different
>>
>>333038106
Of course, a whole different issue is how to present the level to the players, so that they learn it gradually and intuitively. Im just now looking for ideas on possible levels.

But thanks for pointing it out. It must not be forgotten.
>>
>>333035174
I couldn't find or remember any with a sword-like weapon. Even single screen games with knights use a projectile.
>>333038317
You could have something like the usual construction site with cranes raising and lowering girders. Some could break during waves or something like a pile of dirt could flood through one side.
>>
>>333033617
Pacman
Bomberman
>>
>>333038673
The wave idea I think already saw it in Bubble Bobble. It is noted down, of course :)

Construction cranes would really match well with the medieval tone of the game, but I do not really need those, to move stuff. I can just magically move some platforms :)

>>333038819
The problem with those 2 is that they are top-view, so it is not exactly the same as what Im trying. But Ill keep them in mind. Thanks
>>
>>333038913
Ah, shit. I didn't read that post.
Chandeliers then. Ones that snap can kill enemies/you on the way down. Maybe set a small area on fire.
>>
>>333039107
Not a bad idea. So far I have swords and lances, but I will do ranged weapons soon. Hitting other objects to kill them indirectly, is a cool idea. Thanks!
>>
Escape Goat is pretty cool
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (52 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
52 KB, 480x360
>>333033617
Tumblepop is one of my favorite games ever. Not sure why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1ByGttArvE

I actually love this genre and wish you much luck, OP.

Have you checked out the requisites like Bubble Bobble and Snow Bros. too?
>>
Downwell is a fast-paced vertical scroller and quite good
>>
OP here

>>333043939
Oh wow! I havent played this thing in years. That was indeed a cool game! I will take a look at it. The idea of a centrail "honey pot" where enemies come out is not bad at all...

Noted down (together with Bubble Bobble % Snow Bros, of course ;)
>>
>>333044082
That is a little too fast paced, for what I had in mind, but I will definitely take a look at it.

Thank you for your recommendation!
>>
Extreme Exorcism has action and single screens as far as I know.
>>
>>333044084
Yeah, and IIRC you had to destroy the pot to stop the enemies, then kill everything on screen to move forward.

The game also had some pretty interesting bosses.
>>
>>333044520
>Extreme Exorcism
Bosses is a thing I still have to tackle down. That might be good inspiration. Thanks anon.
>>
>>333044414
I never heard of that one. I will give it a good look. Thanks a lot for the recommendation.
>>
>>333038060
>"""""Game dev""""" never played bubble bobble
doomed
>>
Escape Goat
>>
>>333045089
I had played to it... It just didn't come to mind when lookign for references ;)
>>
>>333033617
Chromrynth? I think thats what its called. Imagine supercratebox but 50x larger. Its pretty fucking insane. If you have any sight problems dont play it
>>
>>333033617
Look up Downwell
>>
>>333047780
>Chromrynth
I did not find it... mind giving me a link?
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.