[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What were games like back in the day? I feel like I missed out
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
What were games like back in the day? I feel like I missed out on a lot of shit being born in late 1997.

I always hear about old games being alright, while most modern games aren't as good, but if any of those are multiplayer they're completely dead by now.

What were some good games from before 2004? Or just good games for sony systems in general, since I never owned one of those until now.
>>
kids born when final fantasy 7 are allowed to be on this board now
>>
>>332989051
the passage of time. what a concept
>>
>>332989051
>kids born when an old game came out are old now
Wow!
>>
>kids born in 2000 are now legally old enough to drive.
>>
>>332989051
>>332989616
>time is linear
>>
>>332988783
Abe's Oddysee and Riven are two good games that came out that year.

Come on, I was born in 1997 too and I don't have any trouble finding old games.
>>
>>332988783
>go to google
>search best games from x
>x being the year

its not rocket science
>>
File: ds9-accession.jpg (53 KB, 400x223) Image search: [Google]
ds9-accession.jpg
53 KB, 400x223
>>332989724
>Existing in the linear
>>
>>332988783
There will come the day when most of the population of this board will be people born on the same year Undertale was released. What an amazing game/year.
>>
>>332989051
kids born after the snes came out are allowed to be on this board
>>
File: XCOMApocalypseDogfight.webm (3 MB, 650x488) Image search: [Google]
XCOMApocalypseDogfight.webm
3 MB, 650x488
X-COM Apocalypse came out in 1997

And I think 3D was just catching on as there were a few 3D games in 1996 but I can't think of any in 1995 or before though there might have been. System Shock and Ultima Underworld were a few years before that and while they were kind of 3D (as opposed to how Doom did it, I think they were actually 3D) they had sprites for the vast majority of things instead of models. 1996 was when models started being used somewhat commonly as far as I know.
>>
>>332989051
kids born in the year 1400 ad are allowed to post here now

feel old yet?
>>
>>332988783
>but if any of those are multiplayer they're completely dead by now
You'd be surprised. A few years ago I tried playing Red Faction (from 2001) online and there were still a handful of full servers. Though you had to download a separate program to manage the server browser and such. There's probably other games from the late 90s or early 00s with active multiplayer too.
>>
>>332988783
Sadly you probably missed out on arcades. Games were great. Turtles in time, tempest, gauntlet, SF/Mk/tekken. Local multiplayer was always the most satisfying.

Swing by /vr/ some time.
>>
File: zelda_oot_ht3-390074_640w.jpg (48 KB, 616x474) Image search: [Google]
zelda_oot_ht3-390074_640w.jpg
48 KB, 616x474
>>332988783
Ocarina of Time is still the best game ever made.
>>
>>332992287
too bad it came out in FUCKING 1998 YOU RETARD!
>>
>>332992485
>What were some good games from before 2004?
Reading comprehension please.
>>
>>332992661
he didn't say 1997, but he posted the pic
im going by that you fucking retard

you want good 1997 RPG? get fucking SaGa Frontier because Squaresoft was dumb enough to release it around the time FF7 hit and it was forgotten because of popular game
>>
The two Thief games from '98 and '00 are great and are still getting fanmade missions 16+ years later.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.