[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the Secret of Monkey Island /v/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: guybrush-threepwood-3.jpg (8 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
guybrush-threepwood-3.jpg
8 KB, 200x200
What is the Secret of Monkey Island /v/?
>>
>>332963561
that you were Monkey Island all along
>>
The second best adventure game ever made
>>
A non-existent MacGuffin which Ron Gilbert pretends exists, so that hopefully he is paid one day to make a sequel that reveals it
>>
cannibalism
>>
That it has a portal to hell?
>>
the monkey wrench
>>
>>332963561
All was imagined by a child
See the ending of Monkey Island 2
>>
>>332966223
There is the hint that it all might be a dream but Elaine also says that its all a ruse by Lechuck.
>>
>>332963561
Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game
>>
>>332966223
see the ending of mi2 to realize that isn't actually true
>>
>>332966762
Monkey Island is a theme park
Guybrush is a child
LeChuck is her brother
etc

Ron Gilbert left the company after that game so he made a convoluted ending to finish off the serie

as >>332964690 says, is non-existent by the time of mi1 but it was kind of set down in the ending of mi2

At least that's what I like to think
>>
>>332964616
What's the first?
>>
>>332968051
Maniac Mansion or Monkey Island 2
>>
>>332968184
>Maniac Mansion or Monkey Island 2
yes.
>>
>>332968184
What about The Dig? Or Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis?
>>
File: 1434607473280.gif (1 MB, 285x285) Image search: [Google]
1434607473280.gif
1 MB, 285x285
>>332963561
That the game is actually terrible and nostalgia has blinded you to the truth.
>>
>>332968778
How so?
>>
>>332963561
It was revealed on a 90s magazine that sent fan letters to game developers that the secret of MI was always the root beer, which is the only means to exorcize the undead.

There are literally no other mysteries in the game beyond that, people just love to theorize about shit.
>>
File: broken_sword.jpg (14 KB, 250x187) Image search: [Google]
broken_sword.jpg
14 KB, 250x187
Why the entire series is called Broken Sword?
>>
>>332967375
That was a ruse by Lechuck
>>
>>332966223
Doesn't explain why Elaine is still waiting for him after he fell into the hole and that his parents appeared to be dead.

Not to mention Chuckie having a demon aura when nobody is watching.

Monkey Island 2 ending is most likely Lechuck getting Guybrush into some sort of mindtrap and Monkey Island 3 would have been about Guybrush escaping that dream and beating him for good at the end.

The theme park references are most likely just themes that get thrown around because Ron Gilbert liked it.
>>
>>332971831
Speaking of Ron.
New game looks alright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnjqcITQ6wY

>Hi Ron, this looks almost exactly like the game I paid Double Fine to make!
kek
>>
>>332972567
I hope it turns out good.

I want atleast one old dev to succeed nowadays. Atleast one time.
>>
>>332963561
Root Beer?
>>
Also: The Secret of Monkey Island has changed every now and then.

First it was Root Beer when the game was still a single title with no sequel planned.

Lechucks Revenge brought something new that never got revealed.
And later after Ron left Lucas Arts he said that if he would make Monkey Island 3 nowadays it wouldn't be like the version he originally had in mind.
>>
File: CMBO2nEUAAAjExR (1).jpg (11 KB, 239x259) Image search: [Google]
CMBO2nEUAAAjExR (1).jpg
11 KB, 239x259
>>
File: I the Madman.png (46 KB, 346x220) Image search: [Google]
I the Madman.png
46 KB, 346x220
>>332972730
The Cave was alright.
Too bad replaying it was a chore because it was made with a "shared family computer" mindset.
Too bad no one played it...
>>
>>332973252
Thats what i heard about it.

Being alright i mean. For many people thats not enough.
>>
>>332968698
the dig is the worst adventure game lucasarts ever released. except for the soundtrack it had nothing going for it. They should have just stuck to comedy.
>>
>>332970841
the first game had a different name. only when it became a series it was renamed Broken Sword 1
>>
It was all in Guybrush's head. Play the first game with that in mind and see how it all adds up. even with the pirates you're insult fighting with, if you ask them why they talk funny they something like "come on, Guybrush, play along".
>>
what the next game Lucasarts will release? :^)
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.