[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Super Metroid a good 2D metroidvania game, or should I play
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: 2831952-super_metroid_cover[1].jpg (3 MB, 2100x1536) Image search: [Google]
2831952-super_metroid_cover[1].jpg
3 MB, 2100x1536
Is Super Metroid a good 2D metroidvania game, or should I play something modern?
>>
File: xW2jQMe[1].jpg (303 KB, 1608x1796) Image search: [Google]
xW2jQMe[1].jpg
303 KB, 1608x1796
>>332961727
>>
>>332961727
Nah, is mostly considered shit.
>>
>>332961727
Played it for the first time when it was released on the 3DS.

I enjoyed very much.
>>
>>332961727
It's not bad. There are some excellent modern options as well, but Super Metroid is pretty okay.
>>
>>332961727
>Is Super Metroid a good
yes
>>
File: Image_143.png (223 KB, 365x284) Image search: [Google]
Image_143.png
223 KB, 365x284
I'd say it still holds up well as a game spectacularly. Has a map and controls that work.

Gravity is a bit odd and later games are more finetuned but its still worth a play.

Besides, if you had wanted to play it you wouldve done so already, so don't bother if youre just asking to be disappointed by expectations.
>>
Super Metroid is the Metroid experience. You can't get much more critically Metroid than Super Metroid.

If you want a sincere Metroidvania you can try Super Metroid, but there are better games in the genre, some older, some newer.
>>
>>332961980
>excellent modern options
like?
>>
Why are they called Metroidvania if Metroid shoots while Castlevania uses a whip in close range?
>>
>>332962090
The sense of disillusionment and exploration within both games completes the name. In both you do a lot of exploration and backtracking to get to where you want.
>>
It's a very good game. Give it a shot.
>>
>>332962090
Castlevania also uses swords, axes, polearms, hammers, etc in the Metroid-inspired Castlevania games.
>>
>>332961727
Internet with all its walkthroughs pretty much ruined this game.
If you have the patience to play it without a guide, its a lot of fun.
>>
>>332962090
Because Metroid and Castlevania 2 tried the whole open world 2D sidescrolling thing. Metroid more better than Simons quest and then Symphony harped off Super Metroid and they both played against each other until Metroid eventually stopped getting games and Konami wanted Pachinko machines.
>>
>>332962090
Because:

a) It was originally just used to describe the more Metroid like Castlvania games
b) People needed a name for the genre of games that are like Zelda, but inferior due to lack of an overworld, this stuck
>>
>>332962172
>disillusionment
Castlevania X Metroid Pachislot with sexualized Samus when?
>>
Personally, I liked Zero Mission more, but I'd say play Super as well. You'd be doing yourself a disservice by not experiencing it.
>>
File: 1422725501114.png (132 KB, 364x354) Image search: [Google]
1422725501114.png
132 KB, 364x354
>modern metroid
lol
>>
>>332962075
A few that come to mind are Environmental Station Alpha, Stealth Inc. 2, Toki Tori 2 (although that's strongly a puzzle game), and Guacamelee. I believe Shadow Complex also falls under that umbrella, though I never really sunk my teeth into it.
>>
>>332962915
Thank you
>>
>>332962915
>toki tori 2

the fuck anon?
>>
>>332963113
While it's not a "metroidvania" in the sense that you get new powerups to unlock new areas, it follows a sort of similar flow in that you acquire new knowledge about how to deal with threats that allows you to move forward organically, and you explore a non-linear place-thing from the 2D perspective.
>>
>>332962798
>what is Axiom verge

maybe if you didnt play league of faggots all day ud realize there's lots of other games
>>
>>332962637
Actually heading that route with the way Nintendo has been treating Samus.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.