[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Original xbox
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: ninjagaidenblack_xboxbox.jpg (54 KB, 354x500) Image search: [Google]
ninjagaidenblack_xboxbox.jpg
54 KB, 354x500
Made this thread yesterday too, but i had to leave for work before i got any replies.

I am going to buy an original xbox on monday to play pic related.
>Are there any other, xbox exclusives, that i absolutely must play?
>Also, is there a difference between NTSC and PAL NGB?
>Should i get it with the Fat controller or the slim one?
Someone told me that the og xbox can easily be softmoded, what is need for that? I cant find a good guide on the internet.
Thanks a lot guys.
>>
>>332923054
>>Are there any other, xbox exclusives, that i absolutely must play?
Otogi Myth of Demons. Phenomenal sound track

>>Also, is there a difference between NTSC and PAL NGB?
No idea

>>Should i get it with the Fat controller or the slim one?
Get the "normal" controller fat controller is awkward as shit

>Someone told me that the og xbox can easily be softmoded, what is need for that?
No idea I payed some guy to mod mine. Was worth it though, could use it for way more shit. Could save games directly to the hdd. Would go to the video store hire a game for a day, take it home and save it to the xbox. Take it back the next day and continue to play for free. Could also upload the game to my PC then burn it onto a disk. I had a CD wallet full of games ripped from blockbuster. Had a CD printer as well so all the disks had custom box art. Sold the xbox and all the stuff when I moved interstate, wish I had kept it.
>>
>>332924248
Yo, thnaks for your reply.
By Fat controller, i do mean the original huge ones. They later made some slim ones. And what? The xbox had an hdd? No memcard needed? Nice.
>>
I think you need a copy of a particular game to softmod it OP. I used Slinter Cell to mod mine, but you can also use 007: Nightfire I think. You then put a program on a usb dongle and connect it to your Xbox. When you boot up the game you can then replace the system firmware.

Also:
http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Xbox

I recommend Panzer Dragoon, Spikeout and JSRF myself.
>>
>>332924373
>By Fat controller, i do mean the original huge ones.
I know, from memory they were awful. I had one back in the day but replaced it when they released the slim ones.

>The xbox had an hdd? No memcard needed?
This was back when games were 1-3Gb and the OG xbox had a 5Gb hdd if my memory isnt lying to me. I could only rip one game at a time to the hdd cause it took up almost all the room.
>>
I got one recently as well, probably about a week ago
I recommend getting Ninja Gaiden Black, JSRF, and Conker Live and Reloaded
It's pretty fucking nice, the Xbox reminds me of a beefy Dreamcast with awesome graphics
Get the S controller, the 'duke' is trash.
It has the best versions of 6th generation multiplatform games, such as Burnout, Black, Battlefront 2, etc.
The graphics will impress if you're used to the Playstation 2's graphics
>>
>>332924538
you know what? I think ill buy those 4-5 essentials used. I have the money, and i dont want to look up in dozens of forums now how to mod the xbox and where to get the isos from etc.
i always wanted to play jet set radio. I might jsut finally try it.
Also one last thing, is it true that the xbox has better graphics than the wii? It was way too powerful for its time iirc.
>>
>>332925060
>Conker Live and Reloaded
The original is in my top 10 of all time. I am definitely going to get that one.
>>
>>332925360
>The original is in my top 10 of all time

Don't get live and reloaded.

For the love of god.

Don't get live and reloaded.

Please.
>>
>>332925871
h-hai?
Besides the 150% more ''BLEEPS'', what else is different? The graphics look fucking amazing.
>>
>>332923054
>>332924248
Yes, the original Xbox is very easy to softmod, though you have to be able to hook up your Xbox to your PC's motherboard. If your motherboard is too new, it'll probably lack the proper slot for that.

As for must play exclusives that haven't been ported to modern systems/PC
>breakdown
>crimson skies - highroad to revenge
>gunvalkyrie
>jet set radio future
>kingdom under fire crusaders & heroes
>metal wolf chaos
>otogi 1 and 2
>panzer dragoon orta
>phantom crash
>phantom dust
>splinter cell double agent (in many ways this verison is exclusive)
>steel battalion (if you can afford it)
>voodoo vince
>>
>>332923054
METAL
WOLF
CHAOS
>>
>>332923054
Buy a 360 instead you can also play Ninja Gaiden 2. That's that i did.
>>
>>332927091
isnt the framerate bad when playing xbox games on the xbox 360?
>>
>>332927298
''Cannot remove hard drive or save file will be erased. Noticeably lower framerate during CG cutscenes.''
>>
>>332927298
Depends on the game, Ninja Gaiden 1 works great. The only weird thing I noticed was how some rare loadings took twice as long for no reason.
>>
>>332927659
fuck now you made me re-think this.
Should i get a 360 and get vanquish and bayonetta as well?
Dude you fucked me up.
>>
>>332923054
You absolutely must softmod your Xbox if you plan on using it for any amount of time.

On OG Xboxes the hard drive is locked to the system, so if it dies, that Xbox is done and dead as dead can be. If you softmod, you can clone your hdd (and get way more space than 8GB).

Also, be sure not to get a 1.0 Xbox unless you can re-solder. Ther power supplies in 1.0 Xboxes are soldered very poorly and generally suck. They apparently started fires back in the day and mine was crackling and sparking.

I'm a total idiot and I was able to softmod and HDD upgrade so I have total faith in you. I would check out the original Xbox subreddit for softmod guides.

>>332927863
Vanquish is one of the best games ever IMO, but I wouldn't buy a 360 unless there's lots of multiplats you want for it. The only Xbox I like is the original though so I'm heavily biased. The 360 emulation of the original is known to be poor and spotty with many games (famously, Halo 2 looks like shit).

Whatever you're most interested in though, senpai. The OG Xbox library is waiting for you though.
>>
>>332928202
>I would check out the original Xbox subreddit for softmod guides.
I will do that.
>mine was crackling and sparking.
kek
is there anyway of telling the first xbox's (1.0 i guess) from the ones that came after and fixed all these problems? i guess the date it was produced, right? After 2003?
>the OG Xbox library is waiting for you though.
Can you name me your top 5?
>>
>>332923054
>Panzer Dragoon Orta
>Voodoo Vince
>Vexx
>Matrix: Path of Neo
>>
>>332928202
Guy with a 1.6 mobo, the game expoloit softmod is still doable on a 1.6 right?
>>
>2001+15
>still no xbox emulator
>>
File: metalwolfchaos.jpg (1000 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
metalwolfchaos.jpg
1000 KB, 1024x768
>>332928398
>>
File: Gun_Valkyrie_Art_03[1].jpg (107 KB, 768x768) Image search: [Google]
Gun_Valkyrie_Art_03[1].jpg
107 KB, 768x768
>>332928398
>Anyway of telling first Xbox's from ones that came after
Yup, there's dates and a few other methods of finding out.

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=367210&seqNum=2
Anything that's not 1.0 should be fine. I got a 1.1 as my second Xbox and it had one of the good PSUs.

>Top 5
Phantom Dust - This game is out of control awesome and there's NOTHING else like it. Me and friends play this fairly often. The environment destruction is really cool.

Jet Set Radio Future - You've probably seen people begging for a rerelease but it's an awesome game. Bright colors, simple controls, one of the best OSTs ever.

Gunvalkyrie - Another Sega game that ALMOST made it to Dreamcast but not quite. Ended up being a really strange but really pretty third person shooter. The controls are great but they have quite a learning curve.

Metal Wolf Chaos - Do I even have to say it? Sure the gameplay is basically a poor man's Armored Core but hot damn is it fun and silly.

Just put any Team Ninja game here - Itagaki knew what was up and how powerful the Xbox really was. He wasn't a fan of the PS2 hardware at all and it shows. Ninja Gaiden and DOA3 all have silky smooth framerates, high detail models, and fun fighting.

>>332928515
Yes, it is. Softmod is nothing different for 1.6 as far as I'm aware.
>>
>>332928620

Fucking gay scene. If i knew a shit about programing, i would do it myself.
>>
>>332929151
M8, thanks for your detailed replies. saved them for future reference.
>>
>>332929405
No problem matey. I got an Xbox just last year and I've been in love with it since. The subreddit has been seeing more activity recently and there's even people playing multiplayer games on it through XLink Kai.

If you decide on a 360 instead, that's fine too, but the original hardware (+ new hdd, lol) is the best way to play those games.
>>
>>332928620
>>332929317
literally 1 game worth playing and it's OP's pic

you can probably buy an xbox and the game for $50 tops
>>
>>332927298
the emulation is imperfect to say the least. emulation on the xbox though is fine. been playing Breath of Fire on mine.
>>
>Riddick
>Voodoo Vince
>JSRF
>Panzer Dragoon Orta
>Project Gotham Racing 1 and 2
>Forza Motorsport
>Sega GT 2002
>Phantom Dust
>Buffy
>DOA3
>Halo 1 and 2
>Breakdown
>Stubbs the Zombie
>Brute Force
>Mechassault

You haven't played them, so, don't say a shit until you do.
>>
I am still fucking mad Phantom Dust never got a PAL release.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.