[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Dark Souls 2 what Devil May Cry 2 is to its own series or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 14
File: desc.jpg (767 KB, 1600x600) Image search: [Google]
desc.jpg
767 KB, 1600x600
Is Dark Souls 2 what Devil May Cry 2 is to its own series or not THAT bad?
>>
>>332804792
It's definetely a step back in a lot of ways, but the game is still very good, it's just that he doesn't live to the hype.
But, it improved the gameplay, a lot, animations got a little bit worse but all the rest got extremely better.
>In the souls series
6/10
>In the general gaming industrie.
8,5/10
>>
No. Not even close. DaS2 does nothing as aggravating as DMC2.

If it had to be compared to a DMC, it'd be 1.

Different tone, at its core the same gameplay.
Damage is generally higher than in other entries.
Has a mildly annoying water level.
>>
It wasn't that bad. DMC2 is a bad game by itself, and a horrible DMC game, DaS2 is a horrible souls game but an okay game by itself
>>
>>332805271
>industrie

Your opinion is 0/10 since you are obviously retraded.
>>
As someone who hasn't played Souls games, what set people off to make the game so disliked by the fanbase? Is something inherently broken in it? Is the level design frustrating or weapon balance broken?
>>
>>332805482
wow rude
>>
Is pic related the Resident Evil 6 of the Metal Gear Solid series ?
>>
no it's definitely not as bad as dmc2
dmc2 was so shitty that it made dmc3 be the worst selling entry
>>
>>332805528
Seems to be mostly level design and literal artificial difficulty

>health bar decreases permanently every time you die

It's like they don't want you to have fun
>>
>>332805674
That seems to be a very obtuse way to punish the player for dying. Seems the type of thing a masochist would like.
>>
File: sales.png (150 KB, 512x402) Image search: [Google]
sales.png
150 KB, 512x402
>>332805621
>dmc2 was so shitty that it made dmc3 be the worst selling entry
It only had the worst start.
Counting 3 and Special Edition (which replaced 3 after exactly a year), it's second best selling game in the series.
>>
>>332805528
more or less, the story is that the game was left incomplete and handed off to a new team to put together. The game certainly has its flaws, but considering what happened and how it turned out, I think it's pretty solid.
>>
>>332805549
Kind of, yeah. Great gameplay but the changes to the rest of the game are just fucking baffling. Also, padding.

>>332805621
Yup, DMC2 is fucking poison and hurt the sales of a fantastic game.
>>
>>332804792
Frustrating enemy placements
Homing attacks from enemies
The game design misunderstood DS1's challenging approach as "spike the fucking difficulty to omega you bunch of assholes".

Overall I liked it. The PVP is way better (Minus soul memory that is retarded as shit). DLC areas have really good PVE although the main game mostly doesn't hold up. Some bosses are pretty nice and the ending boss is actually pretty fun which is an improvement to DS1.
>>
>>332804792

Just as good as the previous games.

>>332805528

Some minor changes, like poise being useless, i-frames are suddenly tied to a stat, enemies having magnetic weapons in the sense that they swivel around and home onto you. Enviroment wasn't as good as the previous game either.

That said, it's still pretty damn good, and I prefer it over the first game due to bonfires not being hidden anymore, and they are also placed out much more evenly. No more fucking Sens Fortress bullshit.
>>
>>332805528
The level design is fine. It's multi-branched and has lots of paths, encourages exploration, etc.
The world design is what people have trouble with.
The game was initially developed by Shibuya, a guy with big dreams. Too big.
He wanted a grand plot and a huge world and halfway through it wasn't going to work, so Tanimura was brought in to take over.
Thanks to Bamco's time constraints, they couldn't entirely start over and they had to scramble the assets and bring about an entire new game out of what was already made.
Hence the whole of Earthen Peak, etc.

The Emerald Herald's backstory and the time travel plot thread were entirely dropped.
Because of this, the intro cutscene and the cinematic trailers make little sense.

The weapon balance is the best in the series.

>>332805674
You haven't even played the game. It's not permanent. You cure hollowing with human effigies which are very common, especially on Scholar edition which places invaders all over.
>>
>>332805970

DLC would be great if the enemies weren't bulletsponges and magic being entirely useless to them.

I feel pity for the poor fuckers who actually use spells in the games. You're constantly fighting the enviroment, many enemies are super resistant to magic, and you're most of the time just better off swinging a weapon instead.
>>
>>332805482
English is not my natural language, i'm doomed to make mistakes.
>inb4 nitpicking faggot will find errors on this post.
>>
>>332806178
Yeah unless you're running an optimized build you won't enjoy some of the DLCs. Thankfully most of the bullshit bosses are optional (Those two tiger fuckers surrounded by reindeer and that katana edgelord Alonne or something).

Yeah spells suck ass even compared to pyromancies. At least with pyromancies you can still run a build with good armor and weapons. Full sorcery relies on wizard clothing and gimmicky weapons.
>>
>>332806526

>Full sorcery relies on wizard clothing and gimmicky weapons.

Which really bums me, because I fucking love pyromancy and spells in general.

I'm just hoping that DaS3 won't be the same.
>>
>>332806850
I've seen people roll spells in nice platemail so it seems it might be different. Maybe closer to DS1 but hopefully not as OP as in DS1 (Fucking WoG still gives me Vietnam flashbacks).
>>
>>332806178
Eh, i think it's fair.
In that point of the game you should already have high damage spells and a good variety of them to help you, also should have good enough agl and experience as a mage to be able to handle hand to hand combat. .
It's far harder for a mage, but it's not exactly unfair, it just requires skills that most mages don't have because mages are casuals
>>
>>332804792
Yes. I've been saying this for a while now. The only reason DaS2 doesn't get as much hate as it deserves is because most people don't understand shit about vidya.
>>
>>332806178
and some DLC areas are outright bullshit, getting to Blue Smelter asshole is a boss in itself with all the bullshit enemies and slows piling on top of you
>>
>>332807506

>doesn't get as much hate as it deserves

The fact that the community is so conflicted proves you otherwise. DaS2 was fine. It's changes to some mechanics and gameplay made it not as good as the first game in some regards, but it did perfectly well in virtually all others.
>>
>>332805674
>permanently
Stupid she-goat.

>>332805795
It's not permanent, you can restore with an item you easily find plenty of.
>>
File: Castlevania 64.jpg (266 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Castlevania 64.jpg
266 KB, 1280x720
>>332808307
>DaS2 was fine
>>
>>332808546
Das2 was the best entry in the series until bloodborne, and still has the best pvp.

Even your precious Das1 looked like shit at times and suffered from horrendous flaws like all of blighttown.
>>
>>332808448
Not only you can restore it with an item but you can become immune by doing the DLCs and a ring to makes the curse far less effective.
>>
Dark souls 2 is no where NEAR being as bad as DMC2 was.

Like... it's acceptable and playable. Even fun in a few places but it's a step back. DMC2 was almost completely unplayable.
>>
File: The staircase.jpg (105 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
The staircase.jpg
105 KB, 1280x720
>>332808692
>DaS2 was the best entry in the series until bloodborne
>>
>>332808546
>>332808810
So... Pic unrelated?
>>
File: (you).jpg (31 KB, 300x392) Image search: [Google]
(you).jpg
31 KB, 300x392
>>332808692
>that horrendous netcode, mile long katanas, and soul level
>best pvp

>just throw a million enemies at the player, that's a good level design
>>
>>332808546

Don't even bring up graphics you butthurt fanboy. Take one single look at Blighttown and its wonderful perfomance that stuck around on PC. The devs were so fucking incompetent a fan on a forum created a small file to fix the game for them before the game was even released.

DaS2 doesn't deserve all the hate it gets, and DaS1 sure as fuck doesn't deserve all the love it gets either.
>>
>>332808983
The netcode follows rules that you can eventually work out (hint, your hitbox is where you were half a second ago, but luckily, so is theirs)

>>332808810
What's wronmg with that staircase?
>>
>>332806271

>inb4 nitpicking faggot will find errors on this post.

You mean, "in this post."
>>
>>332808983
>Dark Souls 1 had even more horrendous netcode and katanas only have absurd range because of that.
>Dark Souls 2 fixes almost all the other problems and the only real problem with it's PVP (despite the netcode) is the Soul Memory mechanic.
>>
File: Hallway.jpg (841 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Hallway.jpg
841 KB, 1920x1080
>>332808946
Yes?

>>332809190
>DaS2 doesn't deserve all the hate it gets

>>332809218
Its a staircase full of giant cocksuckers with massive weapons and infinite poise, "difficulty" on par with ROM hacks. Forces the player to chip away at them with arrows or trade hits.
>>
>>332805271
>improved the gameplay
I love this meme. There's no improved gameplay in DaS2. The only improvement was 360 rolling when locked, but this caused most 1vs1 bosses to become trivial by just rolling in to their sides.
They removed connected attacks between light and heavy attacks, they removed most crazy move-sets and special heavy attacks, and the new engine made the combat few "floaty".

ok, I forgot about double-wielding, that was fun. But desu it felt more like a gimmick and something most people didn't even use.
>>
>>332809389
Only if the player is a fucking moron.
They're far slower than the player and he can easily outplay them even if he's fighting two at the same time, specially with the weapons they're using.
Also it's so easy to separete them that it's a joke, and you don't even have to kill them since you have enough space to run past it.
>>
>>332809546

it amazes me how Dark Souls 2 combat feels the clunkiest while also looking the floatiest.
>>
>>332809389
So your complaint is that a game in a series known for being challenging has a challenging area?

Wow anon
>>
>>332809637
When your best solution is just to run past the enemies in a game designed for fighting enemies, you know you fucked up.

>>332809768
>a straight line full of enemies
"challenge"
>>
>>332809389
Okay so your complaint is that the area is hard? If you complained about the hammer one, I'd agree that guy is broken. But that a late game area has lots of hard enemies?

Fuck out of ehre. Why did you like Das1 then?
>>
>>332809970
I know its difficult for a retard like you to understand but level design doesn't begin and end at how "hard" it is.
>>
>>332809704
>feels the clunkiest
I believe it's because of the lack of connection between between light and heavy attack as I've stated. And also because of shitty animations for some enemies and weapons.

>floatiest
I'm sure the floatiness comes from the engine. Even the literally 100% copied bosses from DaS fells floaty in DaS2
>>
>>332809886
>Full
It's like, 2, easy to divide and easy to kill even if you're fighting agains't both at the same.
Also i didn't say that you could run simply, you're just picking the worst part of my argument and ignoring all the rest.
You stink of bait.
Fuck you.
>>
>>332809389

>that pic
>"challenging"

those are quite literally the easiest enemies you find in Drangleic Castle. The fuck you on about.
>>
>>332809886
>a final area full of elite enemies with infinite poise and strong attacks
Yeah
A challenge
I love drakekeepers, they're strong and kill you dead if you fuck up

That's vanilla Dark Souls 2, anyway, in Scholar of the First Sin it's instead one Path of the Dragon phantom
>>
>>332809546

>being able to break out of backstabs
>backstabs don't grant immunity
>shield breaking

Some pretty danged important gameplay upgrades if you ask me.
>>
>>332806972
WoG was fine once you learned to roll punish it.

Now endless turn-cancelling dead angle WoG, that was something else...
>>
File: gan.gif (1015 KB, 500x470) Image search: [Google]
gan.gif
1015 KB, 500x470
I'm starting a new playthrough of Demon's Souls.
What kind of build should I go for? I'm torn between Quality, Strength, and Luck (the latter i've never attempted before)
However it's mostly a PvE playthrough, so I feel like Luck would be kinda gimping myself most of the way through until I hit 125.
>>
>>332809190

>Style of an area / graphics are the same thing as performance
>>
File: 7wWV43F.png (195 KB, 836x729) Image search: [Google]
7wWV43F.png
195 KB, 836x729
>>332810357
>JOEY FRITZ
>>
>>332810357

Unless you summon someone who attacks the dragon guards or whatever they are standing on the sides.

Then you're fucked.
>>
>>332805528

In addition to what the other people said it also controls differently compared to the others. The turning is less precise and it feels like there are large dead zones leading to a much wider turn radius. Closest example in another recent game I can think of is difference between witcher 3's different control schemes.

Also DaS2 had a lot of boss fights with adds. While the other games have these, most take place in an area where you can utilize the environment to your advantage to separate the enemies (pillars in O&S fight, stairs in capra demon, center torch in maneaters, ramps on outside of room in hemwick witches fight etc.). In 2 the majority of these fights were on a flat plane (throne watcher/defender, royal rat) which made waiting for openings just kinda tedious.

Game is still fun tho
>>
File: DeS vs DaS2.png (1 MB, 1510x593) Image search: [Google]
DeS vs DaS2.png
1 MB, 1510x593
>>332810203
>>332810256
>>332810357
Maybe a visual aid will help? God you DaS2fags are fucking retarded I swear.
>>
People seriously defending DaS2
You realise that there is a difference between being unfair and just difficult?
>>
>>332804792
Ds2 relates to Ds1 just like Matrix reloaded to the original Matrix movie.
>>
>>332805528

>i-frames bound to a stat (ADP)
>soul memory

Only legit complains about the game, which are why it's not the best in the series. All other complaints are usually DaS nostalgia babbies being DaS nostalgia babbies.
>>
>>332810526
Ok, your right. But that's mostly for pvp. And while in pvp DaS2 is better, in pve it's shit.
also:
>backstabs don't grant immunity
Is this only in SotFS? Cause I can't remember it being there when I played.the original version
>>
>>332810695
>Couldn't deal with the dificullty of some areas.
>We are the retarded ones.
Not a DaS2fag btw, DaS1 is far better.
>>
>>332810754
Well then the game must be neither because i've never had trouble with the game on any playthrough, even my first.
>>
File: 1438206766701.jpg (76 KB, 471x478) Image search: [Google]
1438206766701.jpg
76 KB, 471x478
>>332810695
Is this guy seriously posting fucking Stonefang Tunnel in defense of level design
Nothing in Demon's Souls is worse than Stonefang Tedium with its boring ass tunnels and enemies that force you to use thrust / magic attacks
>>
>>332810624
>Fuck my face until I pass out

It really sucks that if you say this as a man most people will just flat ignore you from then on. Its not fair that girls get a free pass to be massive sluts.
>>
>>332810754
>People seriously defending a pretty decent (although not as good as the other ones on it's franchise) from unfair critics.
>We are the ones who don't realise the difference between two completely different things.
>>
>>332810883

No, both versions. You do get a defense buff, but it's not for the entire duration of the backstab.

I've been hit by fucking greatarrows far more often than I'd like during my backstab animation, and chunked for half my health. Fucking Old Iron King DLC.
>>
>>332810695
What's the one to the right, I couldn't identify
>>
tell me, tell me, tell me lies...
>>
File: Bloodborne.jpg (28 KB, 310x346) Image search: [Google]
Bloodborne.jpg
28 KB, 310x346
>>332810695
What DaSII level is that? I can't for the life of me recognize which one it is.
>>
>>332810918
Still better than anything in DaS2. Kind of the point actually.

>>332810902
>straight line full of enemies
"difficulty"

>>332811325
Shrine of Amana
>>
>>332805271
>the game is still very good
it's not good, it's shallow as fuck.
>>
>>332811378

>Royal Guards GUARDING the entrance to their master (boss)
>>
>>332811510
>using fucking lore to excuse level design
DaS2fags man, dumbest motherfuckers on Earth.
>>
>>332811378
>Shrine of Amana
kek. That area is so retarded that It always felt like it was a straight line.
>>
>>332811371
Shrine of Amana
>>
File: 1347288393189.jpg (164 KB, 1350x255) Image search: [Google]
1347288393189.jpg
164 KB, 1350x255
>>332804792
>better than DaS1
-More different spells, better balanced spellcasters (f.ex. making pyro scale with stats), exchanging boss souls for spells is back from DeS.
-Manual aim with crossbows and moving while shooting with bows.
-Dual wielding.
-More weight levels.
-Better crafting system; getting rid of useless infusions and unbalanced shit like non-scaling paths, adding bleed, poison, enchanted (PHY DMG scales with INT) and mundane. Easy infusion changing means more experimentation. Most boss weapons can be infused.
-More ring slots and more different rings (even when not counting +1/2/3 versions)
-More build variety in general
-Weapon durability actually matters
-Getting rid of shitty covenants like Princess Guard and adding new mechanics to old ones.
-Human form mattered in solo play again, though like DaS1 humanity restoration items are still too plentiful.
-Estus flask upgrades instead of being able to break the game by upgrading bonfires to max like in DaS1
-PvP covenants accessible much earlier instead of being hidden in late game for guide using niggers.
-Probably the first From Software game to have working online from launch day.
-Better PC port.

>worse than DaS1
-ADP / AGI stat influences iframes
-worse level and world design
-worse boss fights
-having to run back and forth between level up waifu and blacksmiths instead of being able to level up and repair at bonfires
-covenants mostly have nothing to do with getting your humanity back anymore. this was true in DaS1 as well, but even more in DaS2
-covenants rewards are even more grindy than DaS1

>mixed / YMMV
-Soul Memory prevents low level twinks, but also punishes bad players by counting lost souls as well.
-Story and lore feels a bit directionless, though SotFS adding Aldia as exposition and the new ending somewhat fixed this.

Did I miss anything?
>>
>>332812312
Bonfire Ascetics. I think they're a plus.
>>
>>332812312

Covenants have been shit in all the Souls games, including 3. They're way to barebones, and lack any sense of importance. The punishment system is gone in 2 and 3 and completely encourages you to swap between covenants freely.

I suppose that's opinion based though, I don't like it personally, because I like to personalize my characters as much as possible. Some people like being able to play whatever covenant they want on the fly.

I like the Estus system more in Dark Souls 2, but I don't like the existence of life gems.

ADP/AGI are completely inexcusable.

Weapon durability mattering is something I like a lot, it was shit on PC when durability was gone in just a few swings on most weapons, but it was great in SotFS. Too bad Dark Souls 3 goes back to the durability system from 1.

Soul Memory is garbage cans, but I have no idea whether or not 3's system is an improvement.

Story and Lore in Dark Souls 2 feel interchangeable, because they wanted the lore of the game to be intentionally ambiguous as possible, but then wanted the story to kind of be as well.

Lore should be ambiguous, that's the part people like, trying to piece things together. But for the story, you just need a clear motivation and end goal, quit trying to make that weird as well.
>>
>>332811659
That's Soulsfags in general. People actually defend the garbage that is Anor Londo because it has "a cool atmosphere" too
>>
>>332813806
>Covenants have been shit in all the Souls games, including 3. They're way to barebones, and lack any sense of importance.
Agreed. I'd personally prefer if they just scrapped the covenant system altogether and returned back to DeS' multiplayer.

DeS multiplayer was great because you received both the infinite PvE and PvP items extremely early, then combined it with much more rare resurrection items and much harsher non-human form penalty. Everyone from noobs to late game players had a clear reason for participating in online in order to help advance the game in their own world (reward of instant human form), meaning the online multiplayer supported the single player experience instead of being something you did on the side.
>>
It's honestly not that bad and this is coming from someone who has played all the games besides Bloodborne.
>>
File: 1442522352973.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
1442522352973.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1600
>all those removed features and graphics downgrade
also they wanted to make ds2 open world game. maybe now they can make one now that from software not working for namco anymore.
https://soundcloud.com/hamburgerhelper/hamburger-helper-prod-retro-spectro
>>
I honestly enjoyed it. Most of the covenants were lacking, but it was still a fun game.
>>
>>332804792
The double director conundrum makes them quite awfully similar.
If only DS3 had taunts, crazy combos, and stylishly over the top gameplay
>DMCV brings invasions
>>
>>332806271
>"English isn't my native language"
>proceeds to use the phrase "nitpicking faggot" correctly

You're doing great, kid. You're well on your way to mastering English and make me proud. Don't let the nitpicking faggots get you down, you speak English better than most Americans.
>>
>>332806271
You're fine, that guy was just some loser who needed to nitpick to feel better about himself.
Like that other anon said, you speak English better than some Americans, and even some britbongs.
>>
>>332806271
You're good bro, that other guy is a fucking idiot loser.

To the other guy, you're a fucking loser. Go kill yourself, faggot.
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.