[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Worth it as a all-purpose controller?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 11
Worth it as a all-purpose controller?
>>
>>332794019
Its hardly been mentioned since the release so I doubt it.

Xbox 360 remote is the only way to go.
>>
>>332794019
not good enough for most multiplayer games, especially mmorpgs, rts and fps.

great for most single player games, though.
>>
only works in steam

mostly meant to replace kb+m in games that do not support controllers

for everything else, a 360 will always be better
>>
>>332794282
>not good enough for most multiplayer games, especially mmorpgs, rts and fps.
I guess it's "not good enough" compared to a KB/M, but compared to a standard controller as the 360 one, it's a step up or a step down?
>>
>>332794019
>no dpad
Of course not.
>>
https://m.youtube.com/?reload=7&rdm=1pj07e665#/watch?v=ZSBgw00g44A this might help
>>
>>332794509
comes down to personal taste. It has the potential to be much better than any console controller, assuming you're willing to a) tinker with the keybinds/settings, and b) use it enough to get well used to it.

the right touchpad is the the controller's key component. If you manage to make good use of it then you'll have a great experience with almost any game
>>
File: 1337220481789.jpg (17 KB, 210x240) Image search: [Google]
1337220481789.jpg
17 KB, 210x240
>>332794019
I guess you could say it works pretty Wells.
>>
>>332795320
I swear to fucking god, Carlos, if I ever see you on the street, I am going to gut you like a fish.
>>
>>332794019
I hear a lot of luke-warm to bad reviews of it.
>>
Can it function as a Mouse and maybe keyboard outside of steam?

With my VR on the way I want to possibly usher in a new era of comfy by using my computer while in bed
>>
File: vkb.png (53 KB, 800x449) Image search: [Google]
vkb.png
53 KB, 800x449
>>332796652
it can function as a mouse, but as far as I know, you cannot get steam's dual input keyboard outside of big picture, unfortunately
>>
>>332794019
So this controller has sub average reviews and can only be used with steam games and not games on origin likes mass effect? Who is buying this drm subpar piece of shit?
>>
>>332794202
xbox 360 for anything but emulation and platformers. I use ds3 for those. I did almost buy this with darksouls 3 prepurchase though.

>inb4 wasting money on pre-purchase/shit peripherals

im not a poorfag.
>>
>>332797239
you can add any non steam game to your steam library and play it with the controller.

whether the controller is worth it or not is up to you
>>
File: 1358115883378.gif (1 MB, 288x198) Image search: [Google]
1358115883378.gif
1 MB, 288x198
>>332797239
>games on origin
>>
>>332794019

I don't like it, the weird ass mounds they have on the handles are fucking uncomfortable as all hell.
>>
>>332797067
Pressing the stick brings it up outside big picture
>>
>>332797893
oh, I wasn't aware of this, thanks.

still a bit unfortunate that you have to have big picture running
>>
>>332797893
>>332798579
So it can be a KB/M?
>>
>>332799295
yes, as long as you have steam big picture running in the background
>>
>>332795073
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUowjOEpr54
Woodsie's review is better. He used it for longer, has tried a wide variety of games and lists the actual issues that the controller has
>>
>>332797067
Yes you can, you press the stick and it pops up the keyboard. You can also rebind it to any key. Look for [kb] in the bind menu
>>
>>332798579
Only steam is required. You can edit keybinds by right clicking a game while the controller is on. No big picture is required EXCEPT for editing the desktop binds
>>
>>332799591
>>332798579
>>332797067
Odd how this rumor is being passed around. I guess the early days of Steam Controller and Big Picture have made those.
>>
>>332794019
You have my brothers name

Also it's a good ass controller
>>
>>332794019
Couch gaming at its best. Handles are too big for my gf, but for me it's perfect. Racing games with gyro are a really good experience
>>
Alright, so final word. Should I buy it?
Its either this and some VR games, or a bunch of VR games
>>
>>332801238
If it's Oculus, go for it as it doesn't come with a controller unless you order it seperately (correct me if I'm wrong. If it's Vive, do not. It has controllers that are specifically for that purpose.
>>
>>332794019
Yes, it's much better but it DOES require configuration. Depending on the game it may be harder or easier to get a good profile, but if you have it it's both faster and more accurate than a typical controller.

It's easiest to work with in games that support mouse and controller input at the same time.
>>
>>332801601
Well It is vive, but the idea was that Ill use remote desktop, turn the desktop to above me rather than in front, and browse from a couch or a bed. I cant operate a Keyboard and mouse from a recline comfortably, and the Vive wands dont work with that sort of thing either Virtual Desktop. So the Steam controller is the idea
>>
>>332797446
how
>>
>>332802667
Then it'll work. I don't see a better alternative.
>>
NO, DON'T BUY IT.

I was one of the first to even get this little piece of shit. I regret it still everytime i look at it on my shelf. Lump of shit.
>>
>>332794019
Would you play a fighting game with that d-pad? Let alone any game..

It's trash.
>>
>>332804172
What were your problems with it?
>>
>>332804323
https://youtu.be/BUowjOEpr54?t=301
>>
>Worth it setting up Dinput tier

Wii U Pro
Dual Shock 4

>No hassle comfy option tier

Xbone Lunar White

>God's own controller (if you are rich as fuck and can spend $150 on a controller) tier

Xbone Elite

>Cheap gimmicky garbage tier

Steampad
>>
File: 1412121306918.jpg (31 KB, 500x379) Image search: [Google]
1412121306918.jpg
31 KB, 500x379
>>332795320
Die in a fire Carlos
>>
>>332804323
You tell me, Tamthony Church
>>
>>332795073
>aa batteries
>doesn't use a fucking lithium ion battery
How fucking retarded do you have to be. Why are americans so shitty at making fucking controllers.
>>
>>332804336

Feels cheap as fuck for one. The back buttons are very hard to not push accidentally. In fact I simply hate the way they are designed. The pads feel ok, but they just don't work as well as you think they would. The face buttons are super small and their placement is horrible. Your hand never feels like it is "resting" well in the controller ESPECIALLY when you use them. Same goes for the analog sticks. They just feel cheap.

Overall it just feels really bad in your hand and to top it off, just doesn't work well. The only thing it is "ok" for is slow paced isometric or top down games that don't require fast or precise clicking. That severely limits the uses for it. If you were standing next to me I would just give it to you. I cant see any reason to ever use it.
>>
>>332804539
Dual Shock 4 and Steampad is the only good controllers though.

Take your M$ and Shitendo gear and sove it up your ass.
>>
>>332804539
If you have 150 to spend why not get a modded ps4 controller instead. Xbox controllers are fuckhuge
>>
The gyroscope works really well for aiming and shit, but if you don't take the time to configure it it can kinda blow. For most things I would prefer a KB/M
>>
I used one recently and its absolute garbage for anything that isn't Civ.

The joystick emulation is awful, playing any third person game was a chore.

The settings for XCOM 2, THE OFFICIAL FUCKING SETTINGS, bug out and sometimes it will randomly end your turn or double click which can result in you throwing a grenade backwards.

Another half assed Valve product. Not sure what they were going for with this.
>>
File: 1414576243976.jpg (69 KB, 283x359) Image search: [Google]
1414576243976.jpg
69 KB, 283x359
>>332804867
Watts did you just say to me?
>>
>>332805425
I'm absolutely convinced you never spent any time configuring it and getting used to its differences, because camera control is simply brilliant compared to a stick once you get it right, but it does take time, especially if you don't have a decent starting config.
>>
Burch get?
>>
>>332794019
Got a rumble pad 2 for about a decade and it's still holding well.
I will probably get a steam controller if it breaks one day.
>>
Not bad for $60 cuck bucks, I do prefer my Xbone controller though
>>
>>332805045
Wouldn't even wipe my ass with that piece of shit if this were some parakek universe where people used these things as toilet paper ...even then, people would would probably get more out of it like that than using them for what they are intended.
>>
>Emulation
Wii U Pro Controller with WiinUSoft (xinput drivers)

>Console Port
Xbox 360 controller

>Everthing else
Mouse + Keyboard
>>
>>332806121

I trusted all the people that said the exact same thing you said.

>it just takes getting used to anon!

No, It is just a bad controller. I used it for around a month, and tried a BUNCH of different games and settings. Sure you can get used to its flaws and work around it being a piece of shit, but why would you when there are much better options available, like I don't know.... Everything else on the market.

Xbox controllers are still one of the best.

I guess if you really want a valve controller, really like changing batteries, don't mind shitty plastics and build quality, the occasional seemingly random signal loss, hate sony/microsoft/logitech, and have $60 to burn.

Maybe, just maybe, then I could easily recommend asking a friend to buy it so that you can borrow it for a weekend to decide to think about possibly spending money on one.
>>
>>332807045

I echo this anons statement.

Last time I came here I got a huge list of game to try out to "get used to it" and it did nothing that a normal control didn't do and in most cases did things worse.

Also who the fuck sells a controller in 2016 without a rechargeable battery? What the fuck.

It's a bad product that fills no niche and does nothing well.
>>
>>332807045
I still don't understand why people call the plastic cheap? Do the developers deliberately have to put weights inside it. Does the plastic have to be matte for it to look expensive?
>>
>>332805425
Holy shit please live in Oregon.
>>
>>332807561

The controller just feels like it would break. When I compare it to the Wii U pro controller and the 360 controller that feel strong, sturdy, and comfortable to hold there is no excuse.

Like I could honestly probably break the controller in half if I tried rather easily.
>>
>>332807698
Ah. I understand that point, now that I've thought about it.
>>
>>332807561

Plastics come in many types and grades anon.

This plastic is VERY CHEAP. They used cheap plastic to keep production costs down and profits up.

>>332807698
Truth. I could easily snap this thing in half just by turning both sides if I wanted.
>>
>>332797446
>im not a poorfag
Having money doesn't mean you have to spend it like a retard.
>>
>>332807045
I've used it extensively and I don't suffer these issues.

You're probably overestimating how much time you've put in. A lot of scrubs do that.
>>
File: Mr Space.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Mr Space.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
I have a steam controller. It's pretty decent as far as controllers go and the customization is nice. It works particulary nice with emulation. However i can't recommend simply because there are way better controllers out there.
>>
>>332807405
Except objectively better for fps controls and makes sims/strategy playable on controller
>>
>>332808585

When I was playing XCOM 2 with it it would consistently double click which resulted in me throwing a grenade backwards into my own men on two occasions.

You should be playing an FPS with a fucking KB + M anyways.

The only game it worked reasonably well with was Civ V.
>>
>>332808010
They used cheap plastic because their is two high quality trackpads built into the controller and they sold it at a competitive price.

It feels fine anyway, no less cheap feeling than the wii controller pro from last gen, and that controller was great.
>>
>>332808762
That sounds like a defective controller or a personal problem. I don't experience that.

>you should play with m+Kb anyway

No thanks, I don't want to use a keyboard and mouse when laying in bed. Steam controller works just fine. I'll use mkb when sitting at my desk.
>>
>>332797753
Nice name queer
>>
>>332809032

I tried it with two different controllers and other people reported it as well. It's a shit controller problem.

Stop shilling anytime.
>>
The PS4 pad is the best right now if you can't see why you are literally a casual and I don't mean to just insult but you would literally have to be a casual/noob/newcomer to think otherwise. There are obvious reasons.
>>
I wish I could try one. I can't imagine it being better than a DS3 in anyway. And it looks like it's designed for slow paced single player rpgs and fps.
>>
>>332794019

It works. It's OK for browsing the internet.

As a controller it doesn't work very well. It does combine KB+Mouse but not very well. It is a controller but not a very good one. You HAVE to calibrate it each damn time you use it. There's a lot of different combinations of control methods, you could spen hours fucking with the setup to make it kinda work, when you could just use a controller or KB+M and it work as it was designed too.

It's the controller equivalent of a spork. Like a spoon/fork combo. It does do both but does neither as good as the original.
>>
>>332809158
Again, sounds like a defective controller or issue with software. Probably related to steam big picture

I'm not having these issues
>>
>>332809286
You don't need to calibrate it everytime. It saves settings.

Also can use community settings
>>
File: 4.jpg (19 KB, 944x120) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
19 KB, 944x120
>>332794019

Pretty damn good for playing Rocket League (better than xb360). Anything else? Not so much, at least nothing I've come across.
>>
>>332809510

Works on my machine :^)

Is not a valid discussion point you cunt.
>>
File: Steam_Controller___.gif (56 KB, 300x240) Image search: [Google]
Steam_Controller___.gif
56 KB, 300x240
>>332799803
it took a while to figure out the basic thing of the steam controller.
Its really simple too.
So long you don't have to leave the pads, because the config is good, it is amazing.
Shitty configs leaves the pad and have your fingers going all over the place.
>>
I've gotten use to it with hl2 and hitman

I won't go back to a normal controller unless I want a dpad. Otherwise I find the steam controller objectively better.

I can sprint, jump, shoot and reload while simultaneously aiming, never having to take my thumb of the right trackpad
>>
File: victory.png (124 KB, 365x404) Image search: [Google]
victory.png
124 KB, 365x404
>tfw you get this at a discount if you pre-order dark souls 3
>>
>>332810127
Not saying it is. Sounds like some issues need to be patched. But the problem your having isn't normal and indicative of the entire controller.

I had my first psp arrive dead, therefore psp is a trash handheld.
>>
>>332810389
>psp is a trash handheld.

This is not an incorrect statement.
>>
>>332810445
Maybe not, but it isn't bad because mine came defective.
>>
>>332798579
You dont need big picture running I don't think, just steam.
>>
ps4=Xbox one>Steam controller.

It feels cheap and plasticy, but it's comfortable and responsive. Doesn't work with fighting games, but for rpg games it's adequate, still, I wouldn't get it over the xbox one or ps4 controller.
>>
>>332810445
Kek, better than DS no doubt
>>
>>332810997
That's a laugh
>>
File: gabeknows.jpg (177 KB, 600x569) Image search: [Google]
gabeknows.jpg
177 KB, 600x569
>>332805986
>THE OFFICIAL FUCKING SETTINGS
Yeah, they allow that. Which is a fucking shame.
Very few games gets proper official settings.
Most of them get random shit slapped together so it can say its like that.
>>
If you try to use the steam controller the exact same way you'd use any other controller, you'll hate it. You're also fucking worthless and don't deserve what is definitely the most innovative non vr controller on the market.
>>
>>332794019
It's pretty good. Though you really have to put more time and autism into it than most anons would be willing to. Also as far as I can tell from people's community settings, every one is using garbage settings for mouse, gyro, and virtual joy. Like holy fuck every config I need to go in and unfuck the right pad. People complain about virtual joy, and it is unintuitive, but they should just be using mouse-joy anyway if they can't use mouse. That being said I have found a decent joystick move configuration that is workable when I want it. A lot of people try and stick to pad emulation when they should just use keyboard binds instead because muh prompts (mgsv). As for the build quality, it's plastic. It feels lighter because the lack of conventional motors but it doesn't feel any more or less breakable than other pads. desu every pad I've ever used has felt shitty toy like quality this is no different. All in all I got it for playing total war in bed and it's pretty good. This and ds4 are great for bed gaming. In the end it's not the best but its definitely not as bad as some would have you believe.
>>
>>332807045
>>332807405
Really. The steam controller is trying to be a jack of all trades but fails at it. Just makes you want to use a standard controller (with real analog sticks) or a mouse/keyboard.
>>
>>332805087
Because proprietary lithium ions are good until you have to replace them.

Buy rechargeable batteries. They've gotten better like all technology, and will continue to improve.
>>
>>332805425
Disregard idiots who say the controller feels cheap. I can't get it to creak no matter how hard I twist it.

Also the steam controller has a good analog stick, better than the DS4 and 360, but probably not the xbone.

Everything else is correct or subjective.

It's really only good for 3rd person shooters or games specifically designed for it that don't exist.
>>
>>332805087
>Buy wireless something or phone
>Use it for 2-5 years
>Battery reaches its "low" point of 25-20% capacity
>Its literally degrading even faster per charge now
>It reaches the point where it can't hold charge anymore or for enough time for use
>90% chance that replacing battery is impossible unless you want to fuck with soldering and ordering questionable chinese wares of ebay
>Voltage incompatibility still might fuck you over even if you solder a new one
I think Volvo dodged a bullet. Especially when the battery life of the controller is not questionable in the first place.
>>
>>332807698
>The controller just feels like it would break.

This is youtube comment tier
>>
>>332814716
Shut up Jesus
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.