[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
File: Dark_Souls_II_cover.jpg (56 KB, 256x369) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Souls_II_cover.jpg
56 KB, 256x369
What went right?
>>
Powerstance
>>
>>332758896
>free 60% damage increase
>right
>>
Respeccing
>>
Pretty much nothing.
>>
>>332758583
Teleporting from the start
>>
that hexer hood
>>
>>332758583
PC port
>>
>>332758583
The uninstall feature.
>>
File: drakeblood-set-lg.jpg (122 KB, 600x676) Image search: [Google]
drakeblood-set-lg.jpg
122 KB, 600x676
>>332758583
>>
>>332758583
I only played Demon Souls before I played this.
>>
>>332759042
Bait
>>
>>332758583

Hexes and soul vessels. Everything else is kinda eh
>>
>>332758960
It's not free you need 1.5x the amount stat requirements of the weapon to do it, and attacks cost more stamina. And it makes dual wielding viable
>>
>>332758583
Seriously what did it do wrong for /v/ to shit on it, it was my first Ds game. Obviously it improved upon DeS
>>
>>332760427
Warping from the start
Uninspiring bosses
Floaty combat
Soul memory
Weapon degrading tied to fps
Shit world design
>>
>>332759276
You fucked up
>>
I've put about 200 hours into Dark souls 2, and 400 into Dark Souls. I'm currently playing through sotfs (bought it for $10 since I never played any of the DLC) I really fucking hate most of the zones in this game, and I don't remember disliking them this much. Most of them are pure garbage, or at best are ok. Does anyone else feel like the areas were just so bland, uninspired, and boring? There are notable exceptions and some of the later areas are better but 80% of the vanilla areas (I haven't played the dlc) is trash.
>>
>>332760816
Guess I can pick up Dark Souls later and experience the improvements for myself. But I went in blind for II and loved it. Good to know it only gets better.
>>
>>332760427
While far from a bad game on its own merits, it was a step down from DaS in most regards. That said, /v/ is unable to concede that something can be a let-down, but still alright, so DaS 2 is Satan in the eyes of a lot of posters here.

Plus /v/ never learns, you know exactly how much people here hype up shit only to chimp out when it inevitably doesn't deliver (See Skyrim, MGSV etc.).
>>
>>332760816
>Weapon degrading tied to fps
They already fixed this
>>
>>332761032
>>332761181
II is in my top ten of games, including DE:HR and MGS2 but it may be because I played DeS when it first came out, before this game.

I've only ever done DEX-dualweapon runs, though. Tried a mmagic run and it was shit.
>>
>>332761406
Eventually. And only in sotfs
>>
>>332761102
M8 thats just souls in general. Most areas are trash in these games
>>
Just posting to verify im not anthony burch
>>
>>332761610
Might as well play DaS.

DaS2 catches a lot of shit, but if you liked that you'll love the first one.
>>
>>332762410
Well no shit, I am
>>
Alonne Captain armor is the best looking set in the game. Combine it with the smelter leggings and dear god is it sexy af. I doubt it will return for 3 due to lore reasons and not being a common set, but I can still hope.
>>
8 - directional rolls
>>
>>332759276
You did the right thing. DaS2 is better than DaS1 in so many ways that DaS1 is basically skippable.
>>
>>332758583
Being able to two-hand the off handed weapon, powerstancing and the possibility to parry when two handing were pretty nice additions. The rings to appear human or like a white phantom regardless of whether you were hollowed, summoned, etc. were cool too. Other than that not much comes to mind

And what's up with everyone having a name now? They weren't here this morning/eight hours ago
>>
Why can't you power stance with a great shield, and a "two" handed weapon?
>>
>finally able to wield weapons properly in the left hand
>can't backstab

Such a fucked design choice. I really hope they addressed this in 3.
>>
>>332760816
I know it's bait but I'll bite.

>Warping from the start
This is good.

>Uninspiring bosses
Pursuer is way better than any Dark Souls 1 boss. Shame it's easy to kill.

>Floaty combat
?

>Soul memory
This makes the game harder.

>Weapon degrading tied to fps
This is fixed.

>Shit world design
Okay. True. Fucking shameful.
>>
>>332761102
Maybe you don't like videogames.
This is /v/, right?
>>
>>332765540
>The Pursuer
Nigga, that boss gave me so much trouble.

I didn't have any souls experience before, and when I reached that boss oh my god, I was getting my ass kicked left and right.

Then I remember running into that fucker in Lost Bastille twice, I felt retarded typing into google "The pursuer wont stop pursuing"
>>
pros:
>omnidirecitonal movements/rolls(movement part isnt even present in ds3)
>All animations are alot better compared to other games.Not even dark souls 3 can top them as far as i have seen.(smooth dark souls 1 animations dont make them great.they still look awkward.)
>backstab animations look more natural since you throw your opoonents balance off when performing one.Does have an actual transition unlike in DS 1/3.Also DS 2 has different and unique riposte/backstab/guard break animations for mostly every weapon type.
>Soul vessel
>Bonfire ascetic
>Good visual concepts for areas.They are also decently tied up to their lore counterparts.
>Good general lore despite what Miyazakifags say.It standouts good without relying too much on DS 1, unlike DS 3.
>Good and unique characters but with very weak questlines.
Cons:
>Soul Memory
>Bad poise system(DS 1's poise system was bad but they still couldnt improve it in DS 2)
>Absolutely bad level designs.
>No infinite use invasion orbs.
>Some covenants are entirely useless.
>Bosses has good visual designs but they are mostly badly designed in mechanical parts.
>6 player capacity yet, they didnt make a good use of it.Good to see Dark Souls 3 did it right.

That is all i can think of right now
>>
>>332765914
>>332765914
>Then I remember running into that fucker in Lost Bastille twice, I felt retarded typing into google "The pursuer wont stop pursuing"
What a fucking bitch. Let him pursue
>>
File: pcsxr 2014-07-31 18-10-17-471.jpg (238 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
pcsxr 2014-07-31 18-10-17-471.jpg
238 KB, 1200x900
>>332765971
>Cons:
>Soul Memory
It worked way better than having online tied to Soul Level. Every complaint about Soul Memory involves some imaginary scenario that never happens, such as losing 1 million souls and being stuck in a bracket where you're comparatively weak.
>Bad poise system(DS 1's poise system was bad but they still couldnt improve it in DS 2)
Poise was a broken system in 1, it got nerfed for a reason. There's nothing wrong with it the way it is in 2 and 3 now.
>Absolutely bad level designs.
The level designs were the best in the series. You're thinking of world design, which is a nebulous complaint about immersion that doesn't actually apply to critical discussion.
>No infinite use invasion orbs.
This was pretty stupid, but you could at least easily buy more shards with the souls you earned from invading.
>Some covenants are entirely useless.
This applies to 1 more than 2
>Bosses has good visual designs but they are mostly badly designed in mechanical parts.
This also applies to 1 and every previous From game more than 2. Fromsoft bosses never ever have good AI, it's just not something they've focused on until very recently.
>>
>>332761610
>MGS2 fags having bad taste
I'm not surprised.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.