[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Oh shit nigger, time to check how you're progressing on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: 1459112515109.png (43 KB, 442x756) Image search: [Google]
1459112515109.png
43 KB, 442x756
Oh shit nigger, time to check how you're progressing on your game! You did work on it right?
>>
>>332740956
spent last night texturing my 3D model. Shit takes time yo.
>>
>>332740956
I am distracted by somewhat recent video games so work is going to slow down even more.
>>
After a year, I finally have a computer capable of running Game Maker. Can't wait for my awful idea-guy garbage to briefly become actual code just to collapse back into idea-guy garbage within a few days.
>>
>>332740956
why do I have a feeling these threads are made only to promote Lumberyard [TM]
>>
>>332740956
I'm a shitty animator who has documents full of ideas, game maker examples, and a decompiler. I'm pretty much the worst human alive because I still haven't done anything worth showing.
>>
>>332741239
>After a year, I finally have a computer capable of running Game Maker
wat?
is the current version's system requirements gone through the roof, or have you been stuck on some 386 Win 3.1 machine up to this point?

>Can't wait for my awful idea-guy garbage to briefly become actual code just to collapse back into idea-guy garbage within a few days.
yeah, getting tired of your project is a real threat. I'd suggest writing a good, detailed document of your game idea; what is it all about, what do you do in it, etc. Then determine and list all the major, important elements it needs to be a working game, and next the secondary "would be cool, but don't necessarily need" parts. Chop these items into even smaller chunks, just to make working on appear them less taunting.
>>
Does anyone have low level experience with unity?
I want to make a GUI using the built in Graphics.DrawTexture() function to manually draw directly to the screen instead of unity's shitty GUI canvas shit

But I have no idea if it's possible to optimise it at all since unity hides the even lower level setting of texture and material so it's impossible to batch draw calls

What's the best way to go about creating a GUI without resorting to a second camera that needs its own set of draw calls?
>>
File: 1459136139642[2].jpg (44 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1459136139642[2].jpg
44 KB, 720x720
>Times I've started making a game in the last decade: about 20
>Times I've ended up with at least a working, playable prototype showcasing what I want in the finished game: 4
>Games I've finished: 0

I think I'd rather listen to dadrock while walking around the room pretending to be able to dance. Time better spent.
Or maybe go to the gym. Hahahahhahah. Yeah, as if. But I could. If I wanted. I totally could. And its time better spent.
>>
>>332742074
I know that feel all too well, I've been using Game Maker since 2004.
>didn't even bother to read the documentation until 2013
>>
>>332742034
Well you can run code directly on the GPU using shaders. You could potentially write a shader to do that. It'd probably be more work than using OpenGL and a game library though.
>>
>>332239439

I need feedback
>>
>>332742947

How much programming experience do you have? Some of the things you're suggesting aren't exactly simple
Also be careful whenever you use the word 'random' - when it comes to games, 'random' conditions are almost always controlled and constrained in some way to ensure it's still playable and fair to the player. A lot of time and effort goes into how to control randomness, and it can be a real pain to QA test as well

Your game description makes you come off as an ideas guy, unless you already have the technical knowhow to achieve all of that yourself
>>
Did ok, made some progress, fixed some design challenges and coding errors. Now I just need to make the game fun and balanced, which is the hard part.
>>
>>332743543
>Now I just need to make the game fun
shouldn't that have come earlier?
>>
Is it viable to draw in a piece of paper, scann it and the edit the virtual image in gimp/photoshop? Or is the best option to buy one of those things were you can draw things directly on the screen?
>>
>>332743375
Don't look into the 'random' part too much, it's no more than the game picking a premade level for you to play on. The rest I've done in some form or another in the past- it's not bits of programming I need help with.

I just would like to know what the endgame should be.
>>
>>332743804
>Or is the best option to buy one of those things were you can draw things directly on the screen?
Yes this is the best option

>Is it viable to draw in a piece of paper, scann it and the edit the virtual image in gimp/photoshop?
You can do it, but it seems inefficient to me.
>>
>>332743897
Thanks, anon. Guess I'll have to buy one anyways
>>
>>332743804

Depends entirely what for
There will likely be some kind of distortion or compression from scanning in a picture and it will look off when scanned in unless you're drawing on top of it
it's a good idea to get a graphics tablet
>>
>>332744239
You don't have to

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/08/20/cuphead-artist-shares-hand-drawn-animations

The Cuphead developers drawn every frame of their animations by hand, then scan them and put them in photoshop like you proposed. And their game looks beautiful.
>>
>>332741818
My old computer couldn't compile code really. It could barely run a browser.

>I'd suggest writing a good, detailed document of your game idea
Yeah, I think this is the next step. I already have tried to cut it down to as basic an idea as possible, but now the next step is cutting it down to what is feasible with my current knowledge of programming. Which is probably overstated, so we'll see how far that itself gets cut down again.
>>
>>332744335
Yes, I'm counting on that there's gonna be some sort of distortion. But I thought I could fix it in photoshop

>>332744521
Wow, that's good news. Thanks
>>
>>332745386
Anything is possible once you really understand your pipeline, but it always takes practice. If you learn how to translate your ideas from scanned paper, great, you're in league with many game artists (Street Fighter sprites, for example). If not, and instead you use a tablet you are also in league with many game arists. There are many ways to solve a problem.
>>
>>332744521

'put them in photoshop' can mean a lot of things
They clearly clean up the art, potentially even just tracing directly over it so whatever was drawn and scanned is effectively completely separate to what actually gets used for game assets
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.