[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats more important in game for you world building and immersion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: download (2).jpg (9 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
9 KB, 300x168
Whats more important in game for you world building and immersion or gameplay.
>>
Gameplay. A game could be the sexiest thing out there, with the greatest music, and voice acting that makes Charlton Heston roll in his grave.
But if it's a chore to play and just unfun, then it can fuck off. See: Every softhouse-seal game ever
>>
>>332725421
Yeah but game play without purpose is also rather boring
>>
>>332725695
Yeah, Mario 1 fucking sucked. And everyone hates Tetris and Pong.
>>
>>332725895
They are enjoyable but do they strike in powerful way. I know I'm sounding pretensions.
>>
>>332726049
>but do they strike in powerful way.
Yeah, they're still discussed instead of most world building immersive games that had nothing to last beyond the first time you spun that dialogue wheel, you massive fucking faggot.
>>
>>332725274
Gameplay, though I will overlook some gameplay quirks if the world building is significantly good.
>>
>>332725274
For World building I would 100% say Immersion. OP pic is related. ME3 did a lot of things wrong, but man was its immersion good
>>
gameplay.

Game could be pretty as fuck and get me "into the world" but whats the point of playing if the actual playing portion of it blows?
>>
>>332725274

Immersion. Good immersion can help you overlook awful gameplay, see Silent Hill, but amazing gameplay can (for me) rarely help overlook poor immersion.

That's probably a very uncommon opinion though.
>>
>>332725274
Gameplay is the most important thing in a game.

Immersion and story/ world building is a wonderful thing when done correctly, but without good gameplay it might as well be an interactive movie.
>>
>>332725274
Given that games are more often remembered for their failings than their successes, I'd rather a balance. Better to be playable and average than be remembered as crap.
>>
a game with bad immersion but good gameplay is still playable

vice versa is not
>>
>>332726187
Yeah true but all those games come from very different times. And no adding a dialogue wheel isn't immersion. Games like dark souls can create very interesting worlds.
>>
Gameplay easily. Games that focus on immersion and worldbuilding may be good for one or two playthroughs but they aren't something that I'll stick to. They're like snacks. As opposed to, say, a challenging and deep arcade game that I can play for months without getting tired.
>>
>>332726670
Well as long as the game can actually function I would disagree. Basically every rpg has shut game play.
>>
>>332726724
>Games like dark souls can create very interesting worlds.
Only on the hinge that Dark Souls also is a playable game, unlike just about every other game these days that tries to brag about its world.
>>
>>332726736
That doesn't make it better or worse
>>
>>332726830
>Basically every rpg has shut game play.
Not really.
>>
File: JUarUnj4.jpg (24 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
JUarUnj4.jpg
24 KB, 400x400
>>332725274
Immersion, in my opinion. I completed the Witcher 1 and loved it, despite hating the gameplay. The gameplay is clunky and dated, but I was still having fun because the world was fleshed out and interesting.
>>
>>332725274
MOTHER FUCKING GAMEPLAY
FUN>STORY
>>
>>332726865
True the best games combine both but there is enjoyment in seeing a well designed world play out even with subpar gameplay
>>
>>332726542
What are you talking about? Silent Hill does not have awful gameplay. It fits the game's tone and themes very well, and things like the controls only add to it. It'd only be awful if it was an action game, which it isn't.
>>
>>332726916
Western ones
Eastern one are usually better off
>>
>>332725274
Depends on the game. RPG's will need to have great world building for me to give a shit about what's going on. If they are great I will power on even with shitty gameplay. Platformers of FPS need fuck all immersion, gameplay is king for them.
>>
>>332726908
To whom? To me it sure does. If a game's deep and engaging enough to become a part of my life for months, it's sure as hell better than something I spent a few evenings on and never touched again.
>>
>>332727360
I am not saying you are wrong but something can you a low amount of enjoyment for a long period versus being earth shattering for a short
>>
>>332727183
Ok that's true.
>>
>>332727353
True
>>
>>332725274
Depends. If either one is 10/10 then I would consider it a great game but if both are just meh then I wouldnt really give the game a second look.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.