[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You know what? After all these years, I finally reached an epiphany
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 34
File: Final_Fantasy_7.jpg (120 KB, 1022x800) Image search: [Google]
Final_Fantasy_7.jpg
120 KB, 1022x800
You know what? After all these years, I finally reached an epiphany that Final Fantasy 7 truly is the greatest game of all time. There are literally no flaws to anything. Is the best of all time in some areas? No, but there is absolutely NOTHING in the game where someone could easily dock points off. Even the lego blocks have their charm. Especially the way the characters were animated with them.

>Amazing storyline
>Fun hugely customizable materia system
>Tons of minigames
>Long 30+ hour game
>Tons of secrets
>Storyline that just keeps developing the more you play and when you play it again
>Masterful music
>Memorable characters
>Huge lore and good difficulty

Seriously, if someone would tell me pull out a 10/10 game, I would easily make FF7 as my choice.
>>
yeah i guess
>>
>>332723012
I am willing to pay 60 dollars for Chapter 1 already.
>>
>>332723012
>>Fun hugely customizable materia system
It's one of my favourite games, but the materia system is pretty silly.
>>
>>332723012
I feel pretty similar about Yoshi's Island.
>>
>>332723012
>>332723012
The sword on the cover art is impractical, stupid, and doesn't make any sense to use it wouldn't cut anything you would be whacking mobs with a giant beam of metal.
>>
>>332723313
Getting bashed by a giant slab of metal still hurts and can kill.
>>
>>332723313
You're a fucking idiot for every reason
>>
>all those horrid translations
>dumb blonde girl with a single shoulder plate
>villian can fly with one wing
>boobs and sexism
>>
>>332723628
Yes but then why is it a sword make it into a war hammer or something.
>>332723656
You are just mad you are BTFO weeb.
>>
>>332724229
Because it's bad (90's definition) and x-treme!
>>
>>332723012
It's pretty vanilla. All the reasons you gave aren't very special since they can be found in plenty of other games in the genre, and what FF7 does, it doesn't do it extraordinarily well.

>Graphics and visuals aren't very appealing and lack polish, even compared to other JRPGs for the PS1
>Boring, flawed battle system
>Music, while good, sounds like it's from an SNES game
>Slow, drawn out pacing when progressing through the game
>>
>>332724489
Just because it's a Jap game doesn't mean the swords need to be so huge it doesn't cut anything.
>>
File: dont-care.jpg (99 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
dont-care.jpg
99 KB, 600x450
T-truly a masterpiece
>>
>>332724874
The graphics were great for 1997
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (62 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
62 KB, 1280x720
>>332725361
This is the game "Alone in the Dark" from 1992 for MS-DOS. FF7 looks slightly better (only because of pre-rendered backgrounds). The graphics aren't bad, but not "great".
>>
>>332725361
This what delusional FF7fag think
>>
>>332723012
>There are literally no flaws to anything
lol
there's no variety in weapons like in FFI-VI, they are just upgrades bought on shops, and sometimes you can get them earlier by drop chance or stealing
the Materia system isn't as customizable as the job system
3 fucking party members in-battle instead of 4
no designated healer after Aeriz dies
it set most of these flaws as standards for the franchise and when FFIX tried to bring them back the generation who was introduced to the franchise by FFVII didn't like it so it kept getting worse
and to the present day it brought people that like airships being replaced by cars because if you try to say to them that it doesn't fit they bring the "B-BUT FF ALREADY HAD MACHINES AND CARS AND SHITZ IN OTHER GAMES SO IT MAKES THAT OK FOR THEM TO PUT CARS IN THE GAME!!1!"

tl;dr no
>>
I feel the same way about Banjo Kazooie, I've never played FF7 though.
>>
>>332726286
>"B-BUT FF ALREADY HAD MACHINES AND CARS AND SHITZ IN OTHER GAMES SO IT MAKES THAT OK FOR THEM TO PUT CARS IN THE GAME!!1!"
how is this a criticism? FF had flying whale spaceships
>>
My biggest gripe with FFVII is probably that there are too many half-baked mini games thrown in there. I could do without the submarine game and the RTS defense game in particular.

Still a great game though.
>>
File: these wounds they will not heal.gif (999 KB, 500x339) Image search: [Google]
these wounds they will not heal.gif
999 KB, 500x339
>>332725020
Almost as good as the sequel.
>>
File: When God created the OP.jpg (298 KB, 553x798) Image search: [Google]
When God created the OP.jpg
298 KB, 553x798
>>332723012
Nice falseflag thread faggot. Let me guess, are you upset over this thread >>332720413 that you have to make another thread so you can vent your butthurt by jacking off to people shitting on a game you hate?
>>
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 257x244) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 257x244
>>332723012
>30 hours
>long
>>
>>332723012
>good difficulty
Ya lost me. The difficulty is a joke and that's by the low difficulty standards of jrpgs.
>>
>>332726757
>Using an underage tier /b/ image
>>
>>332726986
>making an underage tier /b/ thread
>>
>>332726595
>Someone confused and conflicted and doubting their own abilities, a real human trait

VS

>Xx_I don't care about da planet im just in it 4 da munny_xX
>>
>>332727059
>abloobloobloo muh sis left me 10 years ago so I won't make friends anymore wah wah wah
>>
>>332727280
Still a more realistic human trait over Edge Strife learning that the planet he lives on is literally dying and his response is "I don't care...". The only thing that could have made it more edgy is if he put a tooth pick in his mouth.
>>
>>332727423
Just because you're a whiny crybaby faggot manchild doesn't mean everyone else is, nor does it mean Squall is relatable to anyone but the lowest functioning autists.
>>
>>332723313
>it wouldn't cut anything
Actually it would... The weight of the blade would help force it through flesh more efficiently than a normal blade.

Before you blabber on about something else nonsensical, look up the guillotine. It is a blade designed to be huge thus helping to sever necks in a single blow rather than the multiple attempts it would normally take an ax. It made executions a lot more feasible than they used to be.
>>
File: 1426899518926.jpg (20 KB, 258x245) Image search: [Google]
1426899518926.jpg
20 KB, 258x245
>>332727557
>FF7 doesn't have the most autistic fan base
>>
File: Zhanmadao.jpg (104 KB, 859x555) Image search: [Google]
Zhanmadao.jpg
104 KB, 859x555
>>332723313
You're right, but ridiculously huge Japanese swords have existed IRL.
>>
>>332723012
Deus ex is better simply because it isn't weebshit
>>
File: 1458264841312.png (196 KB, 400x480) Image search: [Google]
1458264841312.png
196 KB, 400x480
>>332727693
>assblasted 8fag got BTFO
>>
>>332727979
Found your vid m8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT_FTIBfgaw
>>
>>332728076
>implying I give even half a shit about the remake
>>
>>332727693

>FF7 having the most autistic fanbase

>when Minecraft and Sonic exist

You got me to reply.
>>
>>332723987
>>all those horrid translations
this guy are sick
>>dumb blonde girl with a single shoulder plate
dis immediately
>>villian can fly with one wing
the only time he flies he actually has like 5 wings
>>boobs and sexism
i wouldn't have it any other way
>>
>>332727423
How many normal people are jumping up to do something about issues like global warming that will supposedly end our world? In the beginning, Avalanche is nothing but a group of conspiracy theorist nut jobs to Cloud. Dismissing their motivations is something a normal person would do until you have concrete proof that something is happening to the planet.

>>332727557
Squall is just a strong introvert. News flash, so is half of the human population. That doesn't make him an autist. Of course, /v/ has been misusing autist for many years now so what should I really expect.
>>
File: 1454202450485.png (30 KB, 256x264) Image search: [Google]
1454202450485.png
30 KB, 256x264
>>332728182
>>assblasted 7fag got BTFO
>>
>>332723012
Nigga, you high.
>>
>>332728298
Not to mention Cloud had his mind fucked over from being experimented on and watching his best friend die. But no, he's the emo faggot while the guy who's still crying over his sister leaving him 10 years later and has absolutely no other character flaws is the most "realistic" one.
>>
>>332723012
I don't like playing as terrorists.
>>
File: 1361432679676.jpg (24 KB, 414x419) Image search: [Google]
1361432679676.jpg
24 KB, 414x419
>>332728328
>8fag still trying to fight a losing argument by completely deviating from the main topic
>>
>>332727625
But Cloud is a human and no human has the strength to swing it to cut something unless it was a overhead slash which is ineffective.
>>
>>332728454
>he's the emo faggot

Yes, he is. His mind being "fucked over" and seeing his friend die has nothing to do with the edginess and stupidity of saying "I don't care" when you face the direct threat of the world you live on dying. It's like if someone pointed a gun at his head and he said "Zzzzzz....don't care, just give me my money...."
>>
>>332728596
Hojo experimented on him
>>
>>332728298
He wasn't just a strong introvert though, he went out of his way just to be an asshole to everyone who wanted to be friends with him, especially Quistis. Say what you will about Cloud but at least he never told Tifa to go talk to a wall.
>>
>>332728726
see >>332728298

Also I don't see how the guy who refuses to shake hands or make friends with anyone is any less of an emo faggot.
>>
Xenogears > FFVII, even in spite of its relative lack of gameplay variety and non-game second disc. FFVII is a fine game, but Final Fantasy lost its way after that and now it's a walking corpse.

Xenoblade is now the series to look up to, XCX shits all over the retarded combat in the FFXV demo.
>>
>>332728924
Global warming isn't the same thing as what goes on in FF7. It's a different issue in nearly every aspect. By Cloud saying "I don't care about the planet" he's acknowledging that there was an issue to care about to begin with. If he doesn't care about the planet dying, then why doesn't he just off himself there and then? He's already chosen suicide anyway. Or could it be that he was just acting out like an edge lord?
>>
File: image.jpg (126 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
126 KB, 1280x720
>>332728789
Even becuase of this week shit he isn't tall enough to swing it around as a normal sword. If he was as large as The Purserer I would let it slide.
>>
>>332723012
You're not wrong, you know. I replayed it last month on PS3 and it holds up probably better than most games I've ever played.

The story really is brilliant, not everyone's cup of tea but it's potent, unapologetic and deep on many levels. The materia system is huge and you can break it like in Bravely Default but the abilities are distributed better meaning you can only really break it near the end of the game anyway. The minigames all have a shitton of polish to them and are mechanically sound. It's brilliant.

The only questionable things I've found upon replay is that some non-optional stuff is programmed weirdly, for example Fort Condor is very exploitable and the rewards for it are bugged to hell and back. The dolphin jumping game and Shinra march are very confusing and unclear due to just no explanation and very weird positioning. There's also a little TOO much missable stuff - I know it'd take an absolute moron to miss Ifrit when it throws this giant red materia in front of you but the fact that there's literally no way to get it again after the boat is something Final Fantasy very rarely does. The characters' mechanical growth is also fucked with it being exceedingly difficult to ensure even one reaches their maximum natural HP, which is bullshit. There's other stuff, like Vagyrisk claws, but really those only bother extremists. You could easily argue those things are intentional aspects of a higher difficulty.

All in all, FFVII isn't quite as overhyped as people think it is.
>>
>>332729190
Weeb* fucking mobile.
>>
>>332728596
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xogheZdAO18

Given more advanced metals to work with and whatnot, you can make the blade a bit lighter, but that shouldn't be necessary. Cloud was supposed to be stronger than an average guy, and an average guy can lift Cloud's sword. Also, again, the momentum from the overhead slash for a blade of that weight would cut through stuff. Efficient cutting methods matter more for a blade that doesn't weigh enough.
>>
>>332729171
Why does anyone carry on when they lose something they care about?

Because you have to. Because it's human. What are you, a computer? Can't you work that our for yourself?
>>
>>332729171
Global Warming is still a thread to the planet just like Shinra sucking the lifestream out of the planet for profits.

>Or could it be that he was just acting out like an edge lord?

DING DING DING we have a winner! His whole edgelord lonewolf badass mercenary persona was just something he made up for the mental gymnastics he made to fool everyone (including himself) into believing he's a hardened SOLDIER first class veteran. You should know this if you've played the game.
>>
>linear pseudo-RPG snorefest
>greatest game
What is with all the fucking FF shilling today, Square? Jesus fuck, I've seen 4 threads already hyping up FF.

Fuck off and go make a real RPG like Ultima.
>>
>>332729312
But it can be easily blocked with a kite shield and i thought this was fantasy not sci if. Also when RPG characters don't wear a helmet it bugs the shit out of me.
>>
>>332729492
Why do people not understand that there exist good games

I don't get it this is the videogame board

Haven't you fucking played it?

I am losing what little faith in humanity I have left
>>
>>332729171
>"I don't care about the planet"
That does not confirm that the planet is about to fucking die... If someone comes up to you and mentions landfills, and you say you don't care about the polution/planet, are you admitting that landfills are going to destroy the world? Hell fucking no you aren't. Humans are blissfully ignorant to the problems that occur around them. This is human nature, and very few people choose painful truth over blissful ignorance.
>>
File: chrono_trigger_cross-1565476.jpg (453 KB, 3840x1200) Image search: [Google]
chrono_trigger_cross-1565476.jpg
453 KB, 3840x1200
>>332723012
It's a good game, maybe even the pinnacle of the franchise, but there are other games from other franchises which have done what FF7 tried to do and far better, and even before FF7 came along. A good example would be Chrono Trigger, another Squaresoft game.
>>
>>332729586
/v/ loves the Soules series and classic RPGs like fallout 2.
>>
>>332729534
Yes this is fantasy. That means that Cloud is now feasibly capable of wielding an even heavier blade that will be capable of smashing through a shield. Even more so since Cloud is swinging it around faster than the speed of gravity.

Acknowledging that this is fantasy just makes your arguments that much more invalid.
>>
>>332729856
Fantasy doesn't have to disregard realism in arms even in fantasy physics exists. And isn't the buster made out of pure iron or some bullshit.
>>
>>332729171
Why didn't Squall just off himself after losing his sister? I mean it clearly affected him to the point where he was hostile to anyone who wanted to be his friend. If he wanted to desperately avoid feeling the pain of loss again why not just commit suicide?
>>
>>332729639
>Chrono Trigger
It didn't do anything better. It was just a basic RPG from gameplay perspective, and the story was even more lacking than VII. The only reason people think that it is rated better is because this is /v/, and /v/ is full of non-self aware hipsters. There is a reason VII is getting a remake and Chrono Trigger isn't.

>inb4 anon ignores the first thing I said and falsely turns this into a "popular =/= better" argument
>>
>>332729990
>Fantasy doesn't have to disregard realism in arms even in fantasy physics exists.

That's my point though anon. The buster sword is actually feasible based on real life physics, so it is beyond feasible once you add in the fantasy aspects.
>>
>>332730039
Because he wasn't a weak homosex like you
>>
>>332730039
Because he didn't say "I don't care about living"
>>
>>332730345
It's feasible if you it as a chop weapon which is restarted for a sword. And if we are applying real life physics to this someone can just use a shield to block it than Clould will fall down.
>>
>>332730209
It certainly had better gameplay than VII which was very barebones even by FF standards, and the time travel gimmick was fun to explore and mess around with in order to unlock the different endings. And sure the story wasn't as chock full of long-winded melodramatic cutscenes but it was still fairly interesting and could even be touching here and there. Not to mention the graphics were among the best on the SNES and certainly much more visually appealing than FFVII's blocky lego people.

Look, I like FFVII and consider it to be far better than many games even from the same series, but it isn't anywhere near the pinnacle of the genre like the fanboys claim it is. I supposed neither is CT, but it's certainly near the mark.
>>
>>332730525
Retarted*
>>
>>332730441
>>332730478
Instead he was just a weak homosex who can't make any friends because he's still crying over his sister leaving him.
>>
Have there even been any updates to the remake? It seems like this is going to take eons to get released.
>>
File: ffx2.5.gif (2 MB, 300x186) Image search: [Google]
ffx2.5.gif
2 MB, 300x186
>>332730984
Not since the latest trailer. It being episodic turned many people away. I guess you could say they're trying expand on the story but let's not forget Square's latest attempts at expanding on FF10's story.
>>
>>332730525
Based on real life, a shield is used to deflect light blows, and is not intended to deflect a blow of that magnitude. If you want to use real physics, use real physics. Quit trying to bend everything to magically fit your argument.
>>
>>332730545
>but it isn't anywhere near the pinnacle of the genre like the fanboys claim it is
See, this point I can agree with.

>I supposed neither is CT, but it's certainly near the mark
This is the problem though. CT is the exact definition of what people complain about with IX. IX is viewed as a throwback to everything that came before it, but it supposedly does nothing to stand out. CT is this x2. Also, my problem with CT's story is my problem with TLoU's story. It doesn't really do anything with the characters other than having them exist as who they are at day one.
>>
>>332731549
Depends on the type of shield a shield from the high Middle Ages which is metal with the knight wearing plate might deflect the blow. But why do you keep defending this restarted design cloud would like way better if he used a hand and half sword.
>>
>>332731950
>cloud would like way better if he used a hand and half sword
Then he would have definitely been forgotten rather than being iconic.
>>
>>332731868
The problem with IX's gameplay is that not only does it do absolutely nothing new, it's even more torturous to play because of how slow the battles are. CT's battles are quick and speedy by comparison, and at least it brought dual techniques to the table. It's not much, but it's at least something new that has never been done before (not to my knowledge, anyway).

>Also, my problem with CT's story is my problem with TLoU's story. It doesn't really do anything with the characters other than having them exist as who they are at day one.

Linear development isn't always good characterization though. VIII's characters underwent development but their personalities were still so unlikable and hilariously exaggerated they were hard to relate to.
>>
>>332723012
>Even the lego blocks have their charm.
No, that was awful even back in 1997. It's the only thing they needed to fix to make the game perfect.
>>
>>332732073
>>332732073
So the only reason the FF fan base likes himis because of the buster that's just saying he's a shit character.
>>
>>332729312
That's a predominantly aluminium alloy sword and it weighs 75-80 pounds according to the video, and it still weighed enough that a strong person couldn't use it properly. You can see the guy they get in to test it out they have to basically hold it up for him and then just drop it because he can't swing it properly, it's so heavy. If they had made it accurate in terms of metal, it quite possibly could have weighed closer to 150 pounds or more. By comparison, most real swords weigh about 5 pounds, and virtually never more than 10. It's understandable for Cloud to wield it because he's genetically modified, but no human would be able to use it successfully.
>>
>>332732073
That's like saying people only like Link because of his green hat and fairy.
>>
File: 1416019260306.gif (2 MB, 318x239) Image search: [Google]
1416019260306.gif
2 MB, 318x239
>>332723012
when you're right you're right
>>
>>332723012
>Amazing storyline
Not really. Most of the first disc was chasing after Sephiroth's trails, most of the second disc was irrelevant side filler. The story could have been much better were it not so rushed and had actual talented writers.
>>
>>332734883
but it was the FF with the best storyline at that time, no other FF had good character development before 7, maybe 6 is close, but still doesn't compares
>>
>>332723012
the forced minigames are shit, but the optional ones are fun
>>
>>332723012
>Amazing storyline
Idiot
>Fun hugely customizable materia system
You don't know what fun means
>Tons of minigames
Which is shit
>Long 30+ hour game
If 30 hours feel long, it's pretty obvious it's not a good game
>Tons of secrets
You don't know what tons mean
>Storyline that just keeps developing the more you play and when you play it again
Idiot
>Masterful music
Idiot
>Memorable characters
Idiot
Idiot

You're an idiot and should kill yourself. This game is shit.
>>
>>332735431
Oh wow, one-worded answers of calling him an idiot. You didn't even bother to explain why. Boy I bet OP sure does feel silly now.
>>
>>332735431
>You don't know what fun means
>first it was "fun is just a buzzword"
>now it's just "you don't know the meaning of fun!"
my god, what will come next?
this class of autism should have a special name
>>
>>332723160
>silly
elaborate
>>
>>332725361
Quake was released in 1996. FFVII doesn't even compare
>>
>>332735431
Oh look an aspie.
>>
>>332735865
How about /v/tism
For when autism just isn't enough
>>
This is bait
>>
>>332723012
I thought the story and characters were trash.

But everything else is pretty accurate.
>>
File: 1447159736913.jpg (71 KB, 500x521) Image search: [Google]
1447159736913.jpg
71 KB, 500x521
this thread is as close to pure 100% unfiltered as possible.
>>
My normie friends with whom I played ff7 as a kid are excited for the remake.

> Hey anon, my wife gifted me a ps4 for Christmas. I really enjoy ps4 because it's like you are playing a movie. Sure the difficulty might not be here anymore but I don't have more than two hours a week to play video games so it's OK. What do you think about it? did you get ff7 on iPad so you will be ready when the remake come.

Who know that feel?
>>
>>332723012
I fucking HATE those minigames. Only neat ones were the snowboarding and the motorcycle, and even those controlled poorly.
>>
File: Suikoden2_NA.jpg (30 KB, 250x245) Image search: [Google]
Suikoden2_NA.jpg
30 KB, 250x245
You know what? After all these years, I finally reached an epiphany that Suikoden 2 truly is the greatest game of all time. There are literally no flaws to anything. Is the best of all time in some areas? No, but there is absolutely NOTHING in the game where someone could easily dock points off. Even the 2d sprite have their charm. Especially the way the characters were animated with them.

>Amazing storyline
>Fun hugely customizable rune system
>Tons of minigames
>Long 30+ hour game
>Tons of secrets
>Masterful music
>Memorable characters

Seriously, if someone would tell me pull out a 10/10 game, I would easily make Suikoden 2 as my choice.
>>
>>332736668
>I really enjoy ps4 because it's like you are playing a movie.

Well it depends on what PS4 games you're playing, really.
>>
>>332723313

You've never been in SOLDIER. Your opinion does not patter.
>>
>>332737139
>implying Cloud has
>>
>>332723012
Go to bed FF7 fantard.
>>
>>332736825
It's funny because it's actually true about Suikoden 2. While FF7 enjoys babby's first status, Suikoden 2 doesn't.
>>
You know what? After all these years, I finally reached an epiphany that Link's Awakening truly is the greatest game of all time. There are literally no flaws to anything. Is the best of all time in some areas? No, but there is absolutely NOTHING in the game where someone could easily dock points off. Even the lego blocks have their charm. Especially the way the characters were animated with them.

>Amazing storyline
>Fun hugely customizable equipment system
>Tons of minigames
>Long 6+ hour game
>Tons of secrets
>Masterful music
>Memorable characters

Seriously, if someone would tell me pull out a 10/10 game, I would easily make Link's Awakening as my choice.
>>
>>332723012
Xenogears was more interesting.
>>
>>332736825
>>332737269
More of this
>>
>>332730984
I wonder if they'll get the first episode out by 2017. Real reason why they announced it so early in the first place is A) because that's what SE does and B) because they REALLY want the Japanese audience to buy their PS4s.
>>
>>332737269
Best Zelda game
>>
>>332736825
>>Amazing storyline

I've never played a Suikouden game but I was under the impression the story in those games were pretty barebones. Am I wrong?
>>
>>332736825
If only they replace the shitty war battle with the one in V

That's my only problem with the game
>>
>>332737363
Newfag, it's not even that funny.
>>
The whole thing is one big flaw. What a fucking overrated turd.
>>
>>332737404
Suikoden 2 had a great story, the rest though yeah they aren't anything special.
>>
>>332737396
>buy their ps4
It's coming to PC too, so no logical reason to do that
>>
File: GodHandCoverScan.png (704 KB, 709x1000) Image search: [Google]
GodHandCoverScan.png
704 KB, 709x1000
You know what? After all these years, I finally reached an epiphany that God Hand truly is the greatest game of all time. There are literally no flaws to anything. Is the best of all time in some areas? No, but there is absolutely NOTHING in the game where someone could easily dock points off. Even the lego blocks have their charm. Especially the way the characters were animated with them.

>Amazing storyline
>Fun hugely customizable equipment system
>Tons of minigames
>Long 6+ hour game
>Tons of secrets
>Masterful music
>Memorable characters

Seriously, if someone would tell me pull out a 10/10 game, I would easily make God Hand as my choice.
>>
File: zTJ8aJT.jpg (86 KB, 500x628) Image search: [Google]
zTJ8aJT.jpg
86 KB, 500x628
>>332737506
>>
Here's a flaw; it uses that completely outdated turn based combat system that only exists today because weebs have Stockholm Syndrome for it.
>>
File: 1448517184293.jpg (78 KB, 340x314) Image search: [Google]
1448517184293.jpg
78 KB, 340x314
>>332723012
> good difficulty
You lost me
>>
>>332723012
I'm playing it for the first time right now and just got Cid and the Tiny Bronco. I'm digging the environments a lot. Those pre-rendered backgrounds let them create some really striking moments.
>>
>>332723160
The materia system is outstanding. The problem are with players who get it into their heads that one type is best.

>lol who even uses the materia? just get the stat buff ones and attack spam the whole game. ez
>the only materia you even need is Enemy Skill, it does everything better than all other materias
>KotR trivializes the game, why would anyone use anything besides OP summons?

And so on. But the materia-combos are so much fun. Remember when you figured out Final Attack + Phoenix? Or Added Effect + Hades on your weapon? And who here didn't max out the exact same materia that Sephiroth used in the flashback and equipped Cloud with the lesser Murasame to make him Sephiroth 2.0 at one time or another?

>>332723313
The sword would be impractical if the protagonist wasn't a genetically modified super soldier. Everyone who's used it in that series has been a SOLDIER. Why use a foot of steel when you're strong enough to Super Mutant Behemoth a giant lamp post with concrete on it as a weapon?
>>
Only thing I'm looking forward to with the remake is maybe instead of some playdoh person on the cover we'll get Nomura art.

7 isn't that great though.
>>
>>332737714
ahh, i never get tired of this bait, it's truly one of the best baits there is, and i'm certain there are actual people on /v/ who got to the point where they believe it, truly incredible how a little bait can grow so strong
>>
File: 1433264714058.jpg (54 KB, 419x368) Image search: [Google]
1433264714058.jpg
54 KB, 419x368
>>332723012

I'm 33 y-o, so when FF7 released I was 15. I bought a PSX because of this game (owned FF1, FF2 and FF3)

This game was... oh my God it was...simply magical at the time. We had never seen anything like this before.

Of course if you're a piece of shit born in the 90s, you can't relate to this game because "hur dur the characters models have 20 polygons". The cutscenes were awesome, superb pre-rendered backgrounds, plenty of gameplay (snowboarding, anyone?), perfect music, top-tier story...like OP said this is indeed a 10/10, easily.

I pity you younger guys because you'll never experience ground-breaking games that blow standards out of the water like we used to have in the 80s and 90s

Have fun with Final Fantasy 15 and the whole emo boyband Bentley-driving bullshit
>>
>>332723012
>boring shitty combat
>graphics that aged worse than an nes game
No thanks
>>
VII was the pinnacle of the series but definitely the beginning of the end.

XV looks like it's going to be VII for this generation of kiddies.
>>
>>332737539
>Japan
>PC

Yeah.
>>
File: 1446547594247.jpg (30 KB, 514x578) Image search: [Google]
1446547594247.jpg
30 KB, 514x578
>>332738183
This is my feeling exactly

for FF8
>>
Took a whole five posts for the thread to devolve into shitposting because people just can't fucking accept that there might be someone who likes FF7 the best out of all other JRPGs.

Fucking babies man.
>>
>>332738385
And my feeling too

for FF10
>>
>>332738441
Yea those people that play exactly 5 jrpgs
>>
File: 1367469774350.gif (253 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1367469774350.gif
253 KB, 500x281
>>332738441
That's /v/ for you.
>>
>>332738385
100% honest, I stopped playing Final Fantasy games at FF8. I tried the demo that came with a magazine and thought the sword/gun was too cringy. Also, the main character was kinda gay-lookin.
Wasn't the Dreamcast out by then anyway?
>>
>>332738549
Yeah it came out around the same time. Also you weren't missing out on much.
>>
>>332738484
>>332738523
For the record, I think FF7 is the best FF by far and usually end up replaying it at least once a year.

I'd say it's the best RPG, but I've got a real soft spot for BG2 and Diablo 1.
>>
>>332738682
Well I think it's the best of the series but there are other series that have better RPGs like say Deus Ex or Chrono Trigger.
>>
>>332723012
FF7's battle theme is one of the worse ones in the series.

I don't like FF7 at all, but I will concede that it's a very good JRPG.
>>
>>332738839
I'm glad that we are in agreement then. Chrono Trigger was a pretty amazing game but I didn't play it until Emulators became a thing mostly because it didn't involve the master sword or captain falcon, which were my primary distractions at the time of the SNES.

Deus Ex always seemed a bit up it's own ass for my liking. Hyper-stylised games like that tend to put me off unless it's obviously purely for enjoyment.

I can't really say I enjoy Cyberpunk Dystopia, though i'd say it barely qualifies as cyberpunk. A few augmentations does not a Neuromancer make.
>>
>>332738907
However it's boss theme is also one of the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVBM3bX7xdw
> dat guitar intro.

There's also the JENOVA theme to add to that, which is epic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6GrZYE2il0
>>
>>332738907
I feel it's one of the better ones actually, but that might be because it reminds me so much of Dave Brubeck's Blue Rondo A La Turk.
>>
File: Undertale-HD-Wallpaper.png (43 KB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
Undertale-HD-Wallpaper.png
43 KB, 3840x2160
You know what? After all these years, I finally reached an epiphany that Undertale truly is the greatest game of all time. There are literally no flaws to anything. Is the best of all time in some areas? No, but there is absolutely NOTHING in the game where someone could easily dock points off. Even the lego blocks have their charm. Especially the way the characters were animated with them.

>Amazing storyline
>Fun hugely customizable routes system
>Tons of minigames
>Long 20+ hour game
>Tons of secrets
>Masterful music
>Memorable characters
>Huge lore and good difficulty that gives you a bad time

Seriously, if someone would tell me pull out a 10/10 game, I would easily make Undertale as my choice.
>>
>>332739340
> all these years.
>>
>>332737269
This one is 100% pure objective fact though.
>>
Its far from perfect

But its better than 6 in every way
>>
File: Majora.jpg (45 KB, 500x344) Image search: [Google]
Majora.jpg
45 KB, 500x344
You know what? After all these years, I finally reached an epiphany that Majora's Mask truly is the greatest game of all time. There are literally no flaws to anything. Is the best of all time in some areas? No, but there is absolutely NOTHING in the game where someone could easily dock points off. Even the ugly 3D models have their charm. Especially the way the characters were animated with them.

>Amazing storyline
>Huge amount of masks and an intriguing mask system
>Tons of minigames
>Long 20+ hour game
>Tons of secrets
>Masterful music
>Memorable characters

Seriously, if someone would tell me pull out a 10/10 game, I would easily make Majora's Mask as my choice.
>>
>>332739718
> its far from perfect
> but its better than all the others in every way.

ftfy.
>>
>>332739823
Nothing wrong here, you are entitled to your opinion good sir.
>>
>>332739532
>implying i'm not reading the future
>implying Undertale 3 will be as good as the first 2
>>
All of those points apply to Morrowind as well. And Morrowind is a far better game.
>>
>>332739840
>but its better than all the others only in character development
ftfy x2
>>
>>332740147
> but its better than all the others in character development and in gameplay.
ftfy x5.
>>
>>332740115
Kill yourself you delusional Morrowfag.
>>
>>332740115
This
>>
>>332740235
>but it's not because X and V shit all over it
ftfy x50
>>
>>332740273
Let the anon have his opinion, it's understandable why someone would like Morrowind so much. Better than fucking Skyrim at least.
>>
File: images.jpg (4 KB, 121x92) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4 KB, 121x92
>>332740336
> Implying 10 is good.
> 5 is an excellent game and you are entitled to your opinion.

ftfy x100
>>
>>332740452
>implying X is bad and doesn't have the best combat in the series
>implying V doesn't have the best character customization in the series
>implying VII would be as famous as it is if it wasn't for the most overrated death of a character in a videogame
ftfy x100^5
>>
>>332740721
X is bad because it's a cutscene-heavy halllway simulator.
>>
File: Laughing Traps.jpg (56 KB, 231x208) Image search: [Google]
Laughing Traps.jpg
56 KB, 231x208
>There are literally no flaws to anything
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (49 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
49 KB, 1280x720
>>332740721
> implying the characterisation in X is in any way redeemable.
> 5 was an excellent game and you are entitled to your opinion, though customization?
> Aeris needed to die in order to make the plot go fast. I don't see what the problem is.

ftfy x10000000000.
>>
File: 250px-PMTTYD.jpg (34 KB, 250x349) Image search: [Google]
250px-PMTTYD.jpg
34 KB, 250x349
>Amazing storyline
>Huge amount of badges and an intriguing badge system
>Tons of minigames
>Long 20+ hour game
>Tons of secrets
>Masterful music
>Memorable characters

OP, you were way off.
>>
Aeris dying was the best thing that could have possibly happened for the plot of FF7.
>>
>>332740945
>implying Yuna isn't a better character than Aeritz and most of the characters in the game don't have good character development
>implying making a character die is a correct way to advance a plot and not a cheap way pandering to muh feels most of the time
>>
>>332741856
Worked for Game of Thrones, like a dozen times.
>>
>>332741856
How is Yuna a better character than Aeritz?
>>
>>332741856
At least Aerith had a personality besides "being pure and kindhearted"

Though apparently Yuna is different in X-2 which I've never played.
>>
>>332744252
Aeris was pure and kindhearted, yes. She was also a dirty whore.
>>
File: wp3-1.jpg (257 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
wp3-1.jpg
257 KB, 800x600
>>332744309
>>332744309
>Aeris was pure and kindhearted, yes. She was also a dirty whore.

So basically exactly like Yuna?
>>
>>332744420
> Yuna.
> pure.
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>332744474
She was in X. She didn't start slutting it up until X-2.
>>
>>332744617
So, what you're saying is, Yuna is basically just a shallow clone of Aeris.
>>
please stop this meme

I never played it when I was younger, and I got it on psn the other week, got bored in about a hour and a half, its nostalgia, yes yes call this bait, but lets face it, unless you've played this as a child, it isn't that good

It's filled with cringe writing, bad pacing, and just boring plot, once again all made x100 better if you have nostalgia
>>
>>332723012

>badly stereotyped characters (barret and cid)
>easy to abuse materia system which results in broken battles
>marshmellow graphics, sub-par even for its time
>badly organized menus, by disc 3 you can get killed just from taking too long trying to find the command you want
>pacing of the story could be better

i love ffvii op dont get me wrong but its far from a perfect game. these are just some of its problems from the top of my head. they do sort of add to its charm though.
>>
>>332745046
>>332745057
If you were reading the thread you'd spot the bit where I call idiots like you babies because you can't accept that people can like things.
>>
>>332744783
When you put it that way, yeah pretty much.

>>332745046
Go to bed kid, the grown ups are talking.
>>
>>332745683
> when you put it that way.
Yeah, sorry about that. I got frustrated.
>>
>>332745539
>>332745683
you're allowed to like things anon, but that doesn't change the fact that the only people who like it are nostalgiafags and/or people pretending to like it who are not to 'fit' in

>>332745683
take for example, retreating from the actual fact of giving evidence on why it's a good game and going straight to "uh.. go to bed lol??" he knows it's purely nostalgia etc but nobody wants to admit it

it is a fun cute game though, but not -perfect- far from it
>>
>>332745057
Don't talk shit about Barret, he's easily the best characterized and most human person in the game.
>>
>>332746640
What evidence do I need to provide? Reviews? Go look at the metacritic page. I don't have to prove shit to underage cancer like you trying too hard to fit in here anyway.
>>
7, 8, 9, 10 and it takes a while to warm up to 12 are all easily the best final fantasies. The others before them were too basic albeit still great games. 7 is special though, there's something extra-ordinarily spiritual about it. To those born in the late 80's and early 90's...the reunion is Coming. This game was made especially for us.
>>
>>332745539
and if you read my post youd see that i say ffvii is one of my favorite games as well you inept shiteating mongrel. i love it but accept its flawed.
Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.