[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why won't another competitor enter the console market? Nintendo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 13
File: sega-dreamcast-2-header.jpg (28 KB, 560x293) Image search: [Google]
sega-dreamcast-2-header.jpg
28 KB, 560x293
Why won't another competitor enter the console market? Nintendo is irrelevant at this point so it's really only Microsoft and Sony's battle. I feel like more competition will force companies to actually try again. We might even see a renaissance of new, unique IPs and the abandonment of HD re-releases and remakes.
>>
>>332691408
Because of the joys of the free market, aka the place where the biggest and oldest company holds a monopoly over the market. If a new console even tried to enter the market, they'd have to overcome a generation of players used to only two controller configurations and UI. Even if they managed to secure even a tiny portion of the consumer base from Xbox or Sony, one of them would just buy them out anyway.
>>
File: 1446950443029.jpg (66 KB, 970x545) Image search: [Google]
1446950443029.jpg
66 KB, 970x545
>>332691408
But there is another. You can buy prebuilts from several companies, or build your own. The library is already larger than all of the other 'current gen' consoles combined and its an open platform that will let you install your own programs like Kodi or Retroarch.
>>
>>332691831

So it's a overpriced PC with no exclusives?
>>
they would never be able to compete against sony/MS because they have such large fanbases already

it'd be a huge bomb.
>>
>>332691752

Nice tinfoil hat.
>>
>>332691831
>seriously shilling SteamOS
it's almost like you don't understand why consumers buy consoles
>>
Too risky.
>>
>>332692048
so what you're saying is it will be Sony and Microsoft (and maybe Nintendo) from here on out?
>>
Breaking into the console market now would be a nightmare.

You'd be up against two brands with amazing hardware manufacturer connections, and three brands that have established fan-favorite exclusive franchises.

A new console would have to rely on mostly new IPs, which is a huge HUGE risk in this day and age.

People are, as you should know from being on /v/, very loyal to console brands. Thats another thing they would lack.

Its currently an age of sequels and remakes, right now companies are largely banking on the good graces of the past to sell their terrible games of the present. This, too, would be absent.
>>
>>332691924
What exactly makes it over priced? If you build it yourself you can save $200, or invest that into better hardware. If its because the prebuilts are priced like other prebuilts well no shit they're going to be overpriced.

>>332692107
Does anybody in the console industry remember why people bought consoles? They're all practically PCs now requiring software updates, patches, game installs, etc. Why is it a problem to simply take the 10 foot interface and not require you to buy a locked down device?
>>
>>332691408
emtering the graphics war is financial suicide
>>
6th gen was the last gen were budgets were reasonable enough and games just got made because someone had a good pitch and a budget while there were enough mercenary independent developers around seeking work. The entry was so low that a group of 30 devs working at Microsoft's campus said "We have a pitch for a new Crimson Skies to help push Xbox Live" and J Allard said "Here's the $5 million you need. Make a good game" (FASA didn't even make it, amazingly enough).

These days, you have to invest an insane amount of money to get one AAA 1st party game. Not even Samsung could come in and disrupt with the cost of entry being so damn high in manufacturing the console and setting up the studios, software SDK's and more.

>>332692261

Microsoft might go OEM and have the Xbone fork of W10 become a standard home theatre operation system instead. The leave hardware to companies that want to manufacture it like Samsung, LG, Dell, Razer etc. but that's probably the only way that anyone could break the market at this moment without going overboard on costs
>>
File: Steve-Carell-sad.jpg (86 KB, 1200x627) Image search: [Google]
Steve-Carell-sad.jpg
86 KB, 1200x627
>>332692406
This makes me very unhappy
>>
>>332692436
cmon anon. you know this song and dance
>>
>>332691408
>Why won't another competitor enter the console market?
why would anyone want to?
>>
>>332692686
I highly doubt that. Microsoft has been trending towards bringing their hardware projects in house. Xbox may become more of a standard Windows 10 PC, but it will still be something exclusively sold by Microsoft.
>>
>>332692938

Sony has proven there's still life in the console market with record sales and bone has beaten projections and been profitable despite the disastrous launch. At the same time, the consumers have been constantly complaining about Sony's services and Microsoft being Microsoft. It's a potential goldmine for a company with the right product and the right price to step in and fuck both them up.

>>332693183

That's what they said with Surface but it's always a play to get other OEM's on board. Samsung dropped Android from it's flagship tablets based off Surface taking a big chunk of market out of Google and Apple (Also Google have been complete shit lately on their software and consumers aren't happy). Xbox will be the same with the next one where they will make their own standard model but they will push an Xbox fork of W10 to OEM's because it's a successful business model.
>>
>>332692636
The problem is that right now there is only one company that can provide SOC chips that combine both an x86 cpu core, and a capable GPU core and that's AMD. Their capacity to produce custom chips already consumed by Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo. That leaves the potential competitors either forced to using more expensive discrete PC components like Valve's Steam Machines, or less capable ARM SOCs like Nvidia's Shield.
>>
>>332693503
>Sony has proven there's still life in the console market
they sold because of brand recognition (see all the sales before the console even had games)
>been profitable
barely.
anyone with enough money to start a project like this isn't stupid enough to do it.
>>
>>332691408
Nintendo is bad only because it's family friendly shit that comes out to it & with it.
And other devs entering would be a waste of time and money, because you can't beat the experience unless you create something new that could top everything that already is.
Something else than that would just be reinventing the wheel.
>>
The barriers to entry are ridiculously high. Remember, it took Microsoft near 10 years years before the Xbox division saw one quarter of profit. There are few companies on earth that could justify such a thing. There is just very little reason for hardware manufacturers to make their own console, especially considering console gaming is slowly dying.

In terms of software, another competitor wouldn't change much. Competition and innovation in games has little practical relationship to hardware differences. All the developers / publishers are competing on the software-level whether they make hardware or not, and they all have an incentive to make games people want to play. The problem is the games people want to play and appealing to the lowest common denominator.
>>
File: 1453794357140.jpg (6 KB, 250x167) Image search: [Google]
1453794357140.jpg
6 KB, 250x167
>>332691408
OP, nothing would make me happier than the Dreamcast 2 being announced. But it's been nearly 20 years...Time to let go...
>>
>>332694325
That's why Valve's approach may actually work. They're not pushing it hard, they're just kind of putting it out there letting it pick up momentum slowly but surely.
>>
>>332694267
No, Nintendo is bad because they have shitty hardware that's only capable of playing Princess Peach themed Monopoly, or whatever crap they're managing to milk out of Mario's corpse
>>
>>332691408
Sony and Microsoft are losing millions dick-slapping each other, and only one gets to register any profit after several years of that. It's always been Sony or Nintendo every time. None of that sounds enticing to someone trying to break in.

The console market is terribly insulated and hyped up to the point where everyone is willing to declare brand loyalty and shout down any new ideas, so again, there is no reason for someone to try jumping in with something new. They'd just get ignored.

Everyone fed up with the current console situation is using Steam, GOG, or other PC gaming services.

Basically, there's no market. Anyone looking to release a new console would need to basically create an entire market just for themselves - and the Wii already tried that. Maybe if someone was prepared to handle that separate sort of market they could work well, but you aren't going to see a company even waste their time with competing with the Playstation/Xbox.
>>
>>332695038
Nintendo's hardware isn't bad, you just have to understand that they make toys for children. Ruggedized systems are always going to have compromised performance.

Nintendo today is like Tiger Electronics was 20 years ago. Its a niche that they occupy well. They just need to stop trying to pretend that they compete on equal footing.
>>
File: bd4jb.jpg (28 KB, 620x456) Image search: [Google]
bd4jb.jpg
28 KB, 620x456
>>332691752
>implying we have an actual free market
>>
>>332694325

Xbox came in well below the sunk cost Bill Gates staked in the project for the original huge and Xbox Live is the reason they invested so heavily in "cloud" and server technology. The only reason the project is continuing is because it's a stepping stone into other markets much like the PS2 was for DVD technology.

>>332694950

Valve's approach completely flopped and most of the vendors selling steam machines have pulled them or only offering them "On order". There is no "Slowly" or any momentum, it failed. Even Valve's own games don't work properly on steam machines.
>>
>>332696386
Have you actually tried playing a game in SteamOS / Steam for Linux? Obviously they work and they haven't flopped completely because developers continue to release games for the platform. Just yesterday there was a live stream showing off the upcoming release of Tomb Raider for Linux which will be the first big SquareEnix game on the platform.
>>
File: apply gun to teeth.jpg (116 KB, 682x1023) Image search: [Google]
apply gun to teeth.jpg
116 KB, 682x1023
>>332694665
I feel you.
I grew up with a Mega Drive + Master System connector.

Sega for life. We used to beat kids in school who had a Nintendo instead of a Sega.
When I got a Game Gear, I used to boast so hard because muh colour screen > Green-and-black Game Boy.

The Xbox is/was the Sega replacement but fuck man, Sega's Japanese division should've been hanged.
>tfw Sega Japan was too proud to admit they didn't know shit compared to Sega USA
>tfw Sega never accepted Microsoft's offer to make the Dreamcast a DirectXbox - Windows machine, which would've saved i

It hurts so much.
>>
>>332696386
http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-steam-machine/pd

Nothing about 'on order' here. Its pretty clear that Valve picked the vendors they thought were the most promising and only chose to promote them.

You can always build your own SteamOS device and console style mini itx cases are becoming increasingly common.
>>
>>332697345
>>332697612

Sound drivers still are bugged to fuck. Frameskips everywhere in DOTA 2 and TF2 on AMD and Nvidia cards. Performance is fucking terrible. SteamOS taking off because Square is bringing a 2012 game to Linux? Steamfags are this deluded or Gabe is hiring more marketers than customer support these days
>>
Quite frankly the margins aren't very good. Anyone who tries pricing a console above $400 usually shits the bed. There is tremendous pressure to pack as much power into that $400 package as possible, where taking a loss is considered normal.

The gaming consumer base, though, is starting to figure out that they can get pretty close or surpass console performance with slightly more expensive mid-range PCs and make the money back with less expensive games and free online.

So you have a situation where the dedicated player pool is actually contracting while costs are rising exponentially for increasingly marginal gains in performance which leads to putting more cost burden onto the end user.
>>
>>332697723
>Sound drivers still are bugged to fuck.
No problems for me.

>Frameskips everywhere in DOTA 2 and TF2 on AMD and Nvidia cards.
Sure you had the right drivers installed? Nvidia should have no trouble. AMD on the other hand uses FGLRX by default on SteamOS which was just discontinued. In the near future the AMD driver will switch to the new open source driver which offers better performance and fewer problems.

>Performance is fucking terrible.
I highly doubt you actually tested it yourself, but in any case Vulkan is out now and delivers better performance even in games not designed for it. Valve, Epic, and other developers are releasing Vulkan updates for their engines.

>SteamOS taking off because Square is bringing a 2012 game to Linux?
No, because SquareEnix and other major publishers are bringing a lot of games to Linux. The library of released games passed 2000 today and there are more on their way.
>>
>>332697363
get over it faggot
you're sad and everyone in your life knows it
>>
>>332698353
>I highly doubt you actually tested it yourself, but in any case Vulkan is out now and delivers better performance even in games not designed for it. Valve, Epic, and other developers are releasing Vulkan updates for their engines.

VK is a specific SDK that has to be applied to games. None of Valve's games on Linux use it yet. Your attempt at shilling is notable, but futile as Steam OS has already flopped and no one is interested in it outside of the most deluded of Steamfags
>>
>>332691408
>Why

Because as much as bait like you doesn't like to admit it, Nintendo isn't irrelevant. Companies cannot compete against the big three unless they are large themselves. Unless they are Apple, they would probably have to fail a generation just to prove that they can compete.
>>
>>332698353
>No problems for me, so there must not be for anybody, and if it were it'd be their fault
Jesus christ it's sad to see posts this dumb. Steam machine flopped, because no one but hardcore shills like you care about it or even know what it is outside /v/. Anyone who wants to break out of console gaming and play PC games (gasp) builds a PC
>>
>Nintendo is irrelevant

Pretty much true, specially when we are talking about the console market, but there will be a lots of triggered drones here.
>>
>>332698535
The only contacts in my life has been my mailman/package deliverer and my grocery deliveryman.

I inherited a load of money after the Ukraine plane crash because both my parents, along with most of my known family members died.

Haven't been outside for weeks.
>>
>>332698792
get over it faggot
you're sad and everyone in your life knows it
>>
File: Big 3 Profit comparision.jpg (36 KB, 273x720) Image search: [Google]
Big 3 Profit comparision.jpg
36 KB, 273x720
>>332691408
>>
I remember reading about Samsung or Apple trying to enter the vidya market

I wonder what happened to that..
>>
>>332698561
> None of Valve's games on Linux use it yet.
The keyword being 'yet'. The Dota2 Vulkan branch is in closed beta and will be released soon.

Clearly Steam for Linux / SteamOS has not completely flopped if the numbers of Linux users even without SteamOS continue to grow at about the same pace as Steam as a whole approaching the two million mark. Publishers clearly see value in supporting the platform in light of the EOL of desktop Windows in the not too distant future.
>>
>>332698982
>THIS is the year of Linux!
Drones saying the same thing for 20 years. Grow up.
>>
File: r1LNfUg.png (124 KB, 951x759) Image search: [Google]
r1LNfUg.png
124 KB, 951x759
>>332698982
>if the numbers of Linux users even without SteamOS continue to grow at about the same pace as Steam as a whole approaching the two million mark

Tell me more about the "year of Linux gaming", marketer
>>
>>332691752
remember when everyone thought "man, Sony isn't going to last in the console market. they make stereos and tvs!" and "microsoft? they make computers to RUN the games, not MAKE games themselves. Halo on Mac is gonna be awesome!"
>>
>>332691408
Nintendo will be irrelevant when Mario, Kirby, Zelda, etc. Are on other consoles. Until then Nintendo/PC master race
>>
Nintendo is more relevant to /fig/s now thanks to Amiiboos financially saving them. They banked on the flavor of the month casual audience to buy wii-u's after the wii gimmick, and they didn't. They bought smartphones and play shitty iOS shovelware instead of buying another gimmick console to play Mario and Weegee. That smartphone has the benefit of double as something with additional uses, after all.
>>
>>332691408
Microsoft's more irrelevant.
>>
>>332699104
And every year for 20 years it has been the year for Linux for quite a few people. Desktop Windows user just want to sit with their eyes closed and hands over their years repeating "This is not happening" but its time to face facts. Linux dominates every aspect of the computer industry except for desktops and in less than 4 years Linux will win by default when desktop Windows is EOLd by Microsoft.

Even Microsoft had to admit the dominance of Linux by partnering with a Linux company and introducing Linux compatibility for Windows systems to avoid losing developers.
>>
>>332699323
>I love to eat the same shit!
>>
File: a very surprised neko-chan.jpg (30 KB, 250x298) Image search: [Google]
a very surprised neko-chan.jpg
30 KB, 250x298
>>332699253
>Atari? Atari IS the video game market!
>Sega? Sega and Nintendo are THE big two! They'll always compete! They're the largest and neither will ever fall with the money they have!

Man.
>>
>>332699369
Depends

If we talk about the console market, they are far more relevant than Nintendo.

Fucking Wii U will be killed this year.
>>
>>332699174
Do you understand what that means? Use of Linux as the exclusive platform of Steam users is growing at just about the same rate that Steam as a whole is growing.

To be counted as a Linux user in the Steam survey you have to be running a Desktop GNU/Linux distribution (SteamOS doesn't count), and you have to not be dual booting, running a VM, or using Wine to play Steam for Windows games. If Valve ever revises their survey process to look at users with more diverse sets of devices and adds SteamOS into the percentages the Linux percentage will jump.
>>
>>332699456
well, to be fair, no one thought sega would fall with their arcade stuff AND the home market for as long as they had it. helps that the genesis was popular as FUCK because the master system sold like shit save for the EU.

the wii u is nintendos first big home console flop, but that is because its practically a wii add-on. if the NX does as bad as the wii u, i don't think i'll care anymore and ive been playing nintendo games since the late 80s because they were fun at one point.
>>
File: 1453770358824.jpg (87 KB, 636x477) Image search: [Google]
1453770358824.jpg
87 KB, 636x477
>>332698792
buy a snake
that'll cheer you up
>>
>>332691408

There's no point. Why even bother. Nintendo is still in because they make so many games every gen. Microsoft is about to get rid of the Xbox probably and Sony is benefiting from Microsoft screwing up. There's no holy grail of unique IPs that are waiting for you. The reason you keep the getting the same shit is because everyone doesn't want to risk going bankrupt releasing new IPs one after another these days.
>>
>>332701109
Orr they're running out of new ideas for IPs
>>
>>332701109
So few people really seem to understand what Microsoft is doing. They're not killing the Xbox, they're trying to remake the PC in the Xbox's image.
>>
>>332701995
They've been saying that since the 360. At this point they've failed, or at the very least, consumers don't want it.
>>
>>332695739
>ITT: games made for everyone to enjoy = children only
>>
>>332702195
Have you seen the near celebratory threads in here when Microsoft announced Xbox One games coming to Windows? How many people in those threads understood that they would be Windows 10 UWP games locked to DirectX 12 and lacking the ability to be modded?
>>
>>332700591
Nintendo games are currently amazing, and on part with the SNES days. If you think otherwise, you clearly weren't playing games at the time.
>>
>>332701328
You know damn well that's not the case. The problem is, where do get money to throw around for these HD console games. They don't come cheap and if you're one of the companies that shits out games left and right, chances are, your games look like complete ass and belong on handhelds, not consoles.
>>
>>332702515
Microsoft has teased major games coming to PC for a decade, and their recent moves were just as weak. If it does happen soon it will be a function of their console market weakness. When things were good for the 360, Microsoft PC games were so terrible there's an argument to be made they handicapped the platform intentionally. I agree with you, but that excitement still just points to the fact that people want good games on their PC.

Just look at the XBone marketing launch. Microsoft was giggling they were so pleased with themselves, finally they'd made a console that merged gaming and cable TV, a true home entertainment console - that's what everyone wants right? And then every consumer flocked to the PS4 whose only feature is "plays games!".
>>
>>332697363

>We used to beat kids in school who had a Nintendo instead of a Sega.

you're either lying or mentally retarded
>>
>>332691408
Except that's stupid you retard.

Why do you think there are so many HD releases and remakes? Because they entail far less risk, people buy what they are familiar with and a new IP is a HUGE risk, especially with the retardedly high budgets that are expected of games today. More competition doesn't change this.
>>
File: Steam-Machines.png (502 KB, 1852x647) Image search: [Google]
Steam-Machines.png
502 KB, 1852x647
are you stupid? they already have
>>
>>332702785
I think that AAA games killed the industry on home consoles. It's pretty damn hard make a game sell without burning a lot of money on marketing.

>>332702867
To be fair, sony is on "wii" fluke as now.

Both microsoft and Nintendo fucked up, but microsoft seems to give up now and for nintendo, they seems to have something for E3.
>>
>>332692436
Where are you getting this save $200 bs from? I could just get a windows key for $13 from a wholesale distributor and actually be able to run a good library of games. If you really need a good console interface, use big picture.
>>
>>332691408
because consoles are a dying breed and companies with the money to do it like Samsung or Apple know that there's no money in consoles so they don't bother. Why waste money on something with a sliver of a profit margin, if any at all, when you can just make phones with a $500 profit per device+sell millions more than consoles. It's extremely hard to join into the console market too, imagine someone bringing their own mobile OS to compete against Android/iOS, they'd never succeed and the same applies to consoles.

they're slowly turning them into PCs more and more and before you know it they'll all just be services you access on your PC/phone. Xbox, Nintendo, Playstation, the brands will still exist, but they'll exist in the way Steam, Origin, and Uplay do rather than physical consoles. Consoles are too risky and don't bring in much money, Neither MS nor Sony made any profit with 360/PS3 which is why they're so cautious this gen.
>>
>>332703405
>Steam Meme Machine poster is here
Abandon thread boys, the autism rises
>>
>>332703405
>Scan-NC10
holy shit no way someone could be dumb enough to buy that
>>
>>332703626
yet its not ausistic to own and Xb1/ps4 which has 1/10th the games and online fees?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (43 KB, 1252x162) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
43 KB, 1252x162
>>
>>332703739
Are you implying another crash might be coming?
>>
>>332703739
We need another one, to kill Actionvision, EA and Ubisoft.
>>
>>332703462
Black market distributors selling potentially stolen goods don't count. A legitimate license for a good copy of Windows is $199 USD.

>If you really need a good console interface, use big picture.
People don't usually want their console to start randomly upgrading and rebooting in the middle of a gaming session. Lots of people who have tried to set up Windows as an HTPC have been bitten by forced auto updates that break their setup. Windows just isn't good for dedicated TV connected devices and that is by design since Microsoft would rather sell you their own dedicated TV connected device.
>>
>>332703823
yes. It won't be exactly the same as before, will probably affect developers more than hardware manufacturers, but the signs are there.
>>
>>332703735
Yes it is, PC is superior. Is your only moral victory that you might be marginally better than the XBone/WiiU/PS4? kek
>>
>>332704217
Meh, nowdays kids are really stupid to make a crash.

Fuck, battlefront sold a lot, and is a pretty shitty game.

We going need something huge, very huge to make the market crash.
>>
>>332704217
what signs phamilio?
>>
>>332704297
The problem the PC faces is that the current steward of the PC platform has a massive conflict of interest when it comes to the console market because they are after all a console maker. This has come to a head in that right now if you want to run their last version of the OS for desktops your hardware is restricted to an old API and the latest games are denied to you. You only get access to your hardware's full capabilities and the latest games if you run their new tablet OS which is burdened with spyware.

The PC cannot be freed overnight, it will take time and effort and we have less than 4 years to ensure the future of the PC as a gaming platform.
>>
>>332703735
quality>quantity

don't give me that bullshit about Steam Machines having more games

it has a bunch of indie shit, and gets next to no new releases. At least PS4/XB1 get all the new releases, they just lack in a back catalogue
>>
>>332703917
>$200
WTF are you talking about, nigga? It's like $84 for windows 10 home. kek
>>
>>332704806
7 of the 10 most popular games on Steam are available for SteamOS.
That number grows to 40 when you look at the top 100.
That's not even including popular games like Arma 3 having beta versions available but that don't show the icon.
There have even been AAA games like XCOM 2 which launched on the same day for SteamOS that were not released on Xbox or Playstation.
Its not all shit.

Besides, its not like 'indie' automatically makes a game shit. Hyper Light Drifter was a simultaneous launch for Linux today.
>>
>>332705248
>Windows 10 home
As I said, a GOOD version will cost you $199.
>>
>>332704738
>burdened with spyware

Go back to /g/. That's been proven to be bullshit paranoid kiddies spouted
>>
>>332705561
The firewall being defective by design and the forced auto updates certainly aren't bullshit. Even if the keylogger, built in advertising, and data mining that is currently present doesn't worry you be aware that they can automatically update the OS without your consent to add to the capabilities of the spyware.
>>
>>332691408
The console market is dying, why would anybody want to?
>>
Console market is shrinking and dying. PC and mobile are the only segments of the gaming industry that are still growing. Entering the console market now would be like entering the horse carriage market the year after Ford released their first cars.
>>
>>332691408

because it's a massive money sink.

Microsoft has been loosing money on the Xbox brand since Day 1.
>>
>>332702721
on par?
dude, i lived those decades and the SNES had AMAZING GAMES that are still revered today

the wii u? yeah, it has it's 1st party shit, but it has like 5 3rd party games and the rest are junk.

nintendo killed all their 3rd party support after the SNES and it hurt the N64 and GC.
>>
>>332705971
>The firewall being defective by design
What kind of tech illiterate retard actually believes this?
>>
>>332705498
lol. Windows 10 is the most powerful o.s on the market. Your fears and opinions don't make it "bad".
>>
>>332705971
Except none of what you just posted is true, anon. Lets go back to my previous post about paranoid kids spouting nonsense.
>>
>>332692048
People said that about the Atari 2600 though, and look what happened with that.
>>
>>332706856
Atari was dying before Nintendo entered the market. Actually both Atari and arcades were dying. All of gaming was dying. The NES is considered to be the savior of gaming.
>>
>>332707143
>All of gaming was dying
ehhh PC was still going strong and would've even if Nintendo hadn't "saved" the industry, plus Sega/Namco/Taito etc. were the arcade masters back in those days so they probably would've stepped in if Ninty hadn't.
>>
>>332706473
The kind who actually reads security notices? The Windows 10 Firewall is designed to always allow through certain special Microsoft defined addresses. They also designed the update mechanism to allow it to bypass common methods used by users to defeat it by including peer to peer updates.
>>
>>332707632
I love the fact there is someone dumb enough to believe this. It's pretty funny.
>>
>>332708103
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/212160-windows-10-still-phones-home-even-when-ordered-not-to-do-so
http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-has-no-plans-to-change-windows-10-consumer-privacy-settings/
>>
>>332708835
Did you even read your own links? They don't even mention the word firewall, let alone supposedly "defective" firewalls. Learn to read, kid.
>>
cant m$ just patch in all this thigns into 7 and 8 too?
>>
>>332709495
Yes, and they have added telemetry to them. They've also marked Windows 10 as a recommended update now so the only way to avoid telemetry and Windows 10 is to disable all updates.
>>
>>332709474
What's the point of denying that Microsoft won't let you lock them out of Windows 10 with the hosts file on Windows 10? Its well known you need external hardware or that you need to run Windows 10 without direct access to network hardware though virtualization.
>>
The only way a company could jump in RIGHT now is if there were another video game crash. Luckily for us, the current conditions of the industry are literally setting up a crash.

Like back In I think it was '82-'85. The old companies went to the shitter and Nintendo came in and took their place.
>>
>>332708103
>>332709474
Dude, you're arguing with a guy nearly as autistic as Barneyfag, just let it go
>>
Sony is banking on Microsoft not exiting the console market, as there's a possibility that a competitor will enter, one that's not nearly as retarded as either Nintendo or MS.

What needs to happen, though, is for Sony's near-monopoly of the Japanese market to be shattered, or at least contested. Japan's game market is in the shitter, there's no innovation, technical or otherwise. It's just otaku shit and sequels. They don't need to be good games because they'll sell regardless.
>>
File: 1292353.png (571 KB, 960x787) Image search: [Google]
1292353.png
571 KB, 960x787
>>332691752
This essentially. Fucking capitalism stagnating creativity
>>
>>332711469
They sell because of fanservice
>>
>>332691831
Id like to play battlefield 4 on that oh wait... I gotta install some more shit
>install origin
>download game
>nvidia driver error
>fuckmylife.jpg
>>
>>332711592
:trump: I don't think so, good comrade Lenin, if that's even your name honestly who thinks that's a name. "Comrade" I don't even know what that means.
>>
>>332710341
Why would you need to? You're missing the point that all of your fears about "windows 10 is spyware and the 7 isn't" is retarded. If you want to be a leet haxor you don't use windows to begin with. If you want to play vidya and use a PC for normal shit you use windows and windows 10 is the most powerful O.S you autistic fagoo.
>>
>>332711814
Like I said. There's no room for risk in the Japanese game development scene, because why bother? Let's take Dark Souls. That game to be because Sony paid them to make Demons Souls, but it didn't sell very well. Dark Souls wasn't funded by anyone, and only came to be because they had a base to work with. Bloodborne is different from the Souls games, though not by much, however this difference was afforded purely because they were at no financial risk, Sony paid for it. Bloodborne wouldn't exist if FROM had to make it themselves, but it would if someone else funded it.

While it's a sequel, Bayonetta 2 came to be because Nintendo paid for it, and no one else would because of how poorly the first one sold. Wonderful 101, like Bloodborne, is an original idea because they could afford to take the risk, Nintendo paid for it. Same with Scalebound.

Risk is too significant in the Japanese game market to try new ideas. All you can count on are sequels or fanservice games, or hope you've been contracted for work.
>>
>>332712358
I'm not worried about my own system. I'm worried about the amount of data that will leak from my Grandmother's system, or my Aunt's system and their confusion on finding that their systems have been upgraded to 10 without their consent.

Systems that leak data aren't just leaking it to the good guys. If it sends up an odd sequence of numbers that just happens to be a CC# that could be captured through man in the middle attacks.

Your resorting to childish name calling really exposes the weakness of your position.
>>
>>332711948
Battlefield already has Mantle support so its conceivable that it will be updated to use Vulkan. Whether or not it will come to Linux though depends on the publisher who so far is content to cry about how Steam is a evil monopoly but isn't willing to actually try to serve customers that Valve does.
>>
The only companies that could possibly jump into the console market is Samsung and Apple just because they have enough money for R&D, marketing, and releasing a console

The problem is whether or not these companies would be able to generate a fanbase big enough to keep the console in the black

We all saw the failure of the Ouya and it basically killed all future android based consoles and until the next console cycle there won't be anyone entering the console market till then
>>
>>332714042
>>332714042

Samsung or Apple won't be able to win over the Japanese, seeing as 1) the Japanese hate the Koreans ever since they beat them in electronics and 2) Apple is an American company. Sony (and to a much lesser extent Nintendo) will always be relevant for as long as the Japanese market is theirs. It might be insignificant, but the fact Sony has a grip on the Jap market is the sole reason they're a viable alternative, and not "just another console".
Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.