[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did they fuck this up so badly?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 225
Thread images: 41
File: otherm.jpg (72 KB, 466x657) Image search: [Google]
otherm.jpg
72 KB, 466x657
How did they fuck this up so badly?
>>
File: paafekuto binguu.jpg (612 KB, 767x976) Image search: [Google]
paafekuto binguu.jpg
612 KB, 767x976
>>332604774
by being nintendo
>>
>>332604774
By not having Kenji Yamamoto onboard for the soundtrack. Gameplay was fun for the most part, story was balls to the wall dumb, but the shitty OST is the biggest crime the game has under its belt. Nothing but forgettable "atmospheric" crap.
>>
>>332604774
>How did they fuck this up so badly?
It's quite the list, but:

Combat on such a reduced controller became ridiculously easy. Since the dodge button was the move button, there was no penalty to tapping it repeatedly, and so no penalty to constantly being capable of avoiding all attacks.

First-person view mode was laggy to enter and to leave, making missiles a pain against anything but a stationary target. The one boss where they are required was just terrible to fight.

Force, mandatory pixel hunts that locked you into first-person view until you highlighted the correct spot.

Health distribution seemed like it wanted to be a horror element (no health pickups found anywhere) and an easy action game (free recharge whenever you like, items to boost the recharge amount). The game itself seemed to flop between actiony combat and trying to act like a horror game.

THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY literally repeated 15 times in the first 10 minutes. "Baby" wasn't really said at all anywhere else in the game, but it grated on players' nerves to hear it repeated so often is such a short amount of time.

Samus's main motivation is that she disobeyed a man and wanted to redeem herself. Seriously.

Story plot is stupid, complete with Samus idolizing said man for shooting her in the back and leaving her defenseless in front of a deadly Metroid. Seriously.

Story dropped or forgot about plot points several times.

You are given the controller input command at the very start of the game. Every other weapon gets a dialogue prompt when it is unlocked, along with text on how to use it. Power bombs do not get a prompt when unlocked, when they are absolutely necessary, and no reminder in how to use them.
>>
Ruined autistic waifufags' headcanon
>>
>>332604774
Pandering to a japanese fan base in the hopes of upping sales there. How they failed to do even that is beyond me.
>>
>>332607561
This. Sakurai went full retard.
>>
>>332607561
>Since the dodge button was the move button, there was no penalty to tapping it repeatedly, and so no penalty to constantly being capable of avoiding all attacks.
Either I'm extremely bad at the game, or this is a meme. I racked up quite a few game overs playing Other M, and took good amounts of damage fairly often, especially in new sections.
>>
File: Vir22.png (68 KB, 195x195) Image search: [Google]
Vir22.png
68 KB, 195x195
>>332604774
Nintendo thinking they are always right.
We are wrong apparently.
>>
They didn't
>>
>>332608570
You are bad at the game. Not him but though it's possible to get hit still, don't get me wrong, it was a brain dead, retardedly easy dodge system.

Literally just mash the d-pad with good enough timing and you're good to go.
>>
>>332604774
Short answer: casuals wanting cinematic experiences.

Samus personality wasn't even defined in the japanese games but people who imagined her as a dominant amazonian waifu (probably manlets) are obviously mad.
>>
>>332608781
Well alright, I can accept this. Timing is one thing I've always been terrible at in games and real life.
>>
File: 1458564150333.png (2 MB, 1563x3500) Image search: [Google]
1458564150333.png
2 MB, 1563x3500
Sakamoto.
>>
>>332608570
>I racked up quite a few game overs playing Other M
Oh god hahaha. Really?
I think I managed a Game Over once, and that was from literally jumping into a lava pool accidentally and being unable to find a low part of the ledge to jump back out. Maybe at a boss or two. How in the world did you get a game over repeatedly in various different sections?

I will admit that damage isn't completely unavoidable. You're stuck in an shooting pose after firing a shot, so you can be hit then. And while dodging is invincible, you're vulnerable immediately afterwards so dodging into an enemy will cause damage. But I can't see dying to common enemies, especially since you can frequently just backtrack to the last save point to heal yourself to full.

Oh, and that's one other large problem the game had: no exploration. You are constantly forced into moving in one direction, with doors and access hatches mysteriously sealed off. Heck, there will be times when you need to visit an area, run down a story-point dead end, then backtrack to find your previous path locked off... but the way you need to go open for no reason.

You get to freely wander around in NG+, but it's kind of sad to say the best part of the game is after completing it.
>>
>>332609119
It's been so long since I've played it that I've forgotten how often I died though.

I do remember dying a few times to Ridley and the fucking final two bosses where they just straight up didn't even remotely hint as to what you were supposed to do but that's about it.
>>
>>332608570
I genuinely don't know how you managed to struggle that much
The game auto-targets for you so all you ever have to do is time your dodges, which are super lenient and have no punish, so the combats a complete joke.
>>
>>332608570

I got a few game overs but it was never from running out of health in a fight, it was from failing to figure out that I could use the grapple beam I didn't have authorized or the part where you suddenly have access to the power bombs in the Queen Metroid's stomach and have to use them without anything letting you know you have them now.
>>
File: 1433474542221.jpg (662 KB, 1280x1841) Image search: [Google]
1433474542221.jpg
662 KB, 1280x1841
>>332609075
>but people who imagined her as a dominant amazonian waifu
I see this shit brought up all the time, and it makes no sense.

It doesn't matter what you thought of Samus before Other M. The point is that Samus in Other M is such a monumentally shitty character that it retroactively damages the goodwill she built up in two decades of good games. Head canon can be whatever and I'm fine with that, but people forget that when someone says "Other M ruined Samus's character!" it's because even a blank slate can be a net-positive for a series and that ultra-bad characterization is in fact worse than no characterization at all.

>>332609190
ironic arrangement but I actually agree. First three Metroid games are still the best, and I legitimately love the first game with its quirks and weird programming.
>>
>>332608114
That's funny because most of the waifufags are obsessed with other-M Samus.
>>
File: japanese phil fish unimpressed.jpg (2 MB, 3568x2000) Image search: [Google]
japanese phil fish unimpressed.jpg
2 MB, 3568x2000
>>332604774
they forgot that metroid fans just want to play the same game over and over instead of trying something new for the series with a chance of failure
>>
File: 1458883086587.gif (791 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
1458883086587.gif
791 KB, 300x168
>>332609742
>defending other m
>>
>>332604774
Sakamoto's utterly misguided view that people were interested in Metroid for the story.
>>
>>332609742
The series experimented with becoming a first person shooters, online arena shooter, pinball game and playing down the exploration in favor of a mission structure and a larger focus on action-y boss battles only a few years earlier.
People were generally cool with all of that until the past few years where the Metroid fanbase randomly decided to become more divided than the Zelda and Sonic fanbases.
>>
>>332609264
>>332609272
>>332609340
I guess it's because the type of action games I'm used to playing aren't shooters, especially not 3d ones. Not being up close and personal with enemies surely fucked me up more often than not. Not to mention the platforming involved.
>>
>>332609563
>because even a blank slate can be a net-positive for a series and that ultra-bad characterization is in fact worse than no characterization at all.
She was submissive to some douchebag in one game, get over it.
>>
>>332604774
>Nintendo wanting a wider audience
>Sakamoto micromanagement
>Team Ninja (still would've been shit without Sakamoto)
>D-Rockets
Shit should've been cancelled, it was going to be a disaster anyway you put it.
>>
>>332609340
I'll never get why the hell Sakamoto decided that a Metroid title needed to be a light cuhrayzee game. It just doesn't make any real sense.

>>332609563
The Prime games had some subtle characterization of Samus though.

>>332610157
Yeah, Other M basically plays like a shitty Ninja Gaiden, so it wasn't that hard if you're a fan of those games.
>>
>ACfag is back
>Sex Genie is back
>Niggerell is still here
>Barneyfag is back
What an awful time to be on /v/
>>
>>332610104
>playing down the exploration in favor of a mission structure and a larger focus on action-y boss battles only a few years earlier.
Fusion? My favorite Metroid right there and I'd played them all from the original way back in the 80's. Metroid II was a fairly guided experience as well iirc. Certainly more than the original. Even Super makes it fairly obvious where you have to go. But it would seem that the ability to break sequence is literally all the internet thinks is great about the series.
>>
ARMORED CORE IS A SHITTY MECH GAME
>>
>>332610414
Don't forget Arkhamfag.
>>
File: WhyOtherMSucks.png (902 KB, 912x1434) Image search: [Google]
WhyOtherMSucks.png
902 KB, 912x1434
>>332608546
>Sakurai

it was Sakamoto
>>
>>332610194
ebin response lol
>>
>>332610194

>She was submissive to some douchebag in one game
>The game that also happened to put the series in the fucking ground for over 5 years
>>
>>332610414
Care to elaborate on your collection of autists?
>>
>>332610194
She was a stupid, whiny rookie soldier who somehow managed to show no character development between her teen flashbacks and the present day who constantly made terrible decisions, had other characters decide things for her because the players not allowed to have any agency, clinged onto a toxic relationship with her commander because of father issues, spent the first 15 minutes monotonely monologuing about wanting to be a surrogate mother and failed to accomplish anything over the course of the entire narrative.

Other M Samus is one of the worst main characters I've seen in any videogame. There's literally nothing likable or interesting about her and there's a huge dissonance between how the game tries to characterize her and how she actually comes across to the viewer.
>>
>>332609563
it's because even a blank slate can be a net-positive for a series and that ultra-bad characterization is in fact worse than no characterization at all.

to put this in another comparison, this is why I like DMC2 Dante over DmC's Donte.

DMC2 Dante is a damn stoic mute while Donte is a piece of shit edgelord
>>
>>332610597
I was waiting for someone to correct me. I didn't realize my mistake until way later.

Usually I'm pretty good about that.
>>
>>332610194
I did get over it, that doesn't mean the game stopped being shit. I was explaining why it was shit, and why the argument "samus had no character to ruin!" is bullshit.

Other M's biggest feature, its story mode (it had a theater mode just for it) was out-and-out awful trash. No one argues this. It sucks the whole mediocre game down and the fact that there hasn't been a mainline Metroid since then shows you how damaged the brand is (made worse with the Federation Force fiasco).
>>
>>332610414
When did sex genie come back
>>
>>332610704
>Other M Samus is one of the worst main characters I've seen in any videogame. There's literally nothing likable or interesting about her and there's a huge dissonance between how the game tries to characterize her and how she actually comes across to the viewer.
Reminder that one minute she's weak and submissive, the next she's pulling off ridiculously over-the-top GoW-style finishers on enemies.

God, Other M was a mess.
>>
File: 1458693953860.gif (3 MB, 390x357) Image search: [Google]
1458693953860.gif
3 MB, 390x357
>Nintendo remakes Mario games with new graphics 9000 times within 10 years
>But Metroid 1-3 will NEVER EVER get remakes
its just not fair
>>
>>332610414
Who are ACfag and Sex Genie?

>>332609742
There was a ton of variation among the Metroid games previously. Even just the most popular 2d ones, Super, ZM and Fusion, are really different from each other.

Other M just sucked dick.
>>
>>332610839
>But Metroid 1-3 will NEVER EVER get remakes
>Metroid 1
Anon Zero Mission has been out for years
>>
>>332610654
>>The game that also happened to put the series in the fucking ground for over 5 years
>Other M: 2010
>Federation Force: 2016

>Super Metroid: 1994
>Metroid Fusion: 2002

???

damn that pos super metroid killed the franchise I'll tell you what
>>
>>332609190
DELETE THIS

Metroid Prime Pinball is actually one of the best games ever made.
>>
>>332610839
>>But Metroid 1-3 will NEVER EVER get remakes
ZERO MISSION? Come on dude.

Only Metroid 2 really needs a remake anyway.
>>
>>332610704
>Other M Samus is one of the worst main characters I've seen in any videogame.
Are the only videogames you play Metroid games? Because there are far, far worse main characters out there.
>>
>>332610931
>Comparing Metroid vanishing during the 5th generation because Nintendo struggled to translate the series' gameplay onto N64 hardware with the series randomly vanishing after a universally panned game for nearly a whole generation of their hardware despite getting consistent releases and spinoffs for years.
>>
>>332610912
This man knows what's up.
>>
>>332610704
This is why gamers should never be allowed proper art.
>>
>>332610704

>clinged onto a toxic relationship with her commander because of father issues

Don't forget that those father issues shouldn't even exist because she had a relatively fine upbringing with the Chozo (who they also conveniently leave out entirely).
>>
>>332611059
Name them.
I've played loads of story heavy games and while there's the occasional annoying as hell protagonist none of them have been as horribly written as Other M Samus.
>>
>>332611106
they'd already done a mainline metroid game on handheld to that point

who said the 64 needed one? could've done a followup on the then revived gameboy/color

hell even the virtuaboy
>>
>>332609190
Super Metroid isn't Canon to the first two games.

Metroid Fusion is more canon than Super Metroid.

Sakamoto had no business cementing how Samus looked.
>>
>>332610650
You think i'm being ironic but the next game she won't give a single fuck about anything that transpired in Other M and you know it.

>>332610654
>The game that also happened to put the series in the fucking ground for over 5 years
Because it sucked ass as a game, not because it enraged autistic waifufags like this poor soul >>332610704
>>
>>332610990
Damn, he deleted it.

Felt nice that someone agreed with me. =(
>>
>>332610574
I'm not familiar with him.

>>332610671
ACfag is the OP of this thread. He has an obsessive hate boner for Other M, thinks Armored Core is the best game ever, and replies in the most incoherent misdirecting ways possible.
Sex Genie aka TheDude is a fat bald gay man who is a known shill. He is the one making all those NX threads and the one actively trying to defend the PS4K.
Ruggarell is a nigger weeaboo with a tiny penis, he is the one that posts shit like "is sex better than video games" and those blacked threads, and those shitposting threads that just have some anime girl in the OP.
Barneyfag is the guy who has an obsessive hateboner for MLP, and religiously scours every thread in the catalog for even the vaguest MLP reference so he can post his autistic poems about how much he hates MLP and compare it to Barney.
>>
>>332609075
It's not even that, it's that I'm forced to watch Samus act like a moron. Why the fuck am I playing a character who acts like a goddamn moron? There's a disconnect between her moments of stupidity and how powerful she acts outside of dialogue and cutscenes. It's fucking jarring.
>>
>>332610803
Around the time all those fake rumors about the NX started cropping up.
>>
>>332611471
Damn. Thanks i guess.
>>
>>332609742
Somehow I doubt linear hallways and cringey melodramatic cutscenes are what the series needed.
>>
>>332611474
Other M is just too intelligent for you. Try Gears of War or Halo.
>>
>>332611474
>There's a disconnect between her moments of stupidity and how powerful she acts outside of dialogue and cutscenes. It's fucking jarring.
>beat enemy in battle
>cutscene afterwards shows enemy with the upperhand
are you refering to other m or literally every videogame ever
>>
I usually make the comparison from Metroid to Halo.
>Metroids 1-3 = Halos 1-3
Both franchises are in their truest forms uncorrupted by the outside force

>Sakamoto Metroids = 343 Halos
Games that try to force characterization out of the main characters and completely misses the point on what made the franchise good in the first place.
>>
>>332611471
>anyone that dislikes other-m is this acfag

breh.
>>
>>332611356
>not because it enraged autistic waifufags like this poor soul
I couldn't give less of a shit about Samus and if the series dropped her entirely for a faceless marine or some other hunter I'd probably be fine with it if their design was cool.

I care about the protagonist in a game with 2 hours worth of cutscenes being horrible though and trying to handwave how badly she was written because it won't have an influence on Federation Force is dumb. If Other M existed in a void where this was the first time anyone had ever seen Samus she's still be insufferable.
>>
>>332611632
Sakamoto made Super Metroid.
>>
>>332611471
>I'm not familiar with him.
He's a troll who shits up every other DMC thread just to tell people that he personally thinks DMC, as well as other 'cuhrayzee' games have awful combat compared to the Batman: Arkham games, except for Ninja Gaiden.

He's pretty fucking annoying.
>>
>attacking other m
>2016
Oh, Nintendo must've done something good recently. the shitfling squad is out in full force.
>>
>>332611595
Yep. Welcome to the wonderfuly autistic world of pseudo tripfags and posting gimmicks.
>>
File: samus_by_rosvo-d6vl2jh.png (1 MB, 1600x1783) Image search: [Google]
samus_by_rosvo-d6vl2jh.png
1 MB, 1600x1783
Still waiting for a Bimbo Suit Samus character action game helmed by Platinum. With 100% less mole and 100% more bigger tits.
>>
>>332611708
He had Gumpe Yokoi to slap him back into line.
>>
File: 1433460289770.jpg (2 MB, 1500x2306) Image search: [Google]
1433460289770.jpg
2 MB, 1500x2306
>>332611356
I expect there to be no mention of Other M ever again. I think everyone expects this.

If the next Metroid game actually tries to seriously take into consideration the "plot" of the boring-as-shit OM/Fusion arc*, that will truly be the death of the series, because it won't be focusing on what made the games good anymore.

*by this I mean trading the series' "explore bizarre alien locales and lost civilizations, + crazy space pirates" with

>lol space government is evil, we need cutscenes to explain/establish this
>lol military labs everywhere, also evil
>duh metroids are being used for BIOWEAPONS =O
>rehashed enemies because cloning xD
>it's not laziness it's a callback ;)
>>
>>332610941
I really hate how the image just states it as a pinball game when it is literally Prime 1's whole story in pinball form.
>>
>>332611786
>Still waiting for a Bimbo Suit Samus character action game helmed by Platinum.
Fuck you, a Platinum-made Metroid game could potentially be something amazing if it were third-person OTS like Vanquish.
>>
>>332611332
Super Metroid had original Metroid's Tourian, Brinstar, faces for Kraid and Ridly's lairs, the old fashion kill Metroids at the end of the game, a prologue showing the endings for Metroid and Metroid II. Metroid: Fusion felt like the Halo 4 of Metroid. the game came out of nowhere and felt like it mad shit up to exist. Chozo created Metroids now, who the fuck is Adam? He was't in the first three games. I thought I killed the Space Pirates in Super Metroid.
>>
>>332611682
The fact that there have been no-content threads that are basically just "Other M hate" generals around the same time the last 3 nights indicates that this is more than just "someone who dislikes Other M". Most people on /v/ dislike other M, ACfag is obsessed with it.
>>
>>332611474
>nuke the shit out of mother brain
>it turns into a fucking dinosaur and brings samus to her knees
>samus requires aid from a fucking baby to power back up in order to defeat dinobrain
its like history and plot threads repeat!
>>
>>332611356
I had no idea what you were trying to say in your response. You were trying to say Nintendo generally doesn't care about continuity? I agree.

>>332611332
SM not canon? What's the source on that?
>>
>>332611708
It was a team effort. Makoto Kano was more responsible for Super Metroid than Sakamoto; while Yokoi was the General Manager of the group.
>>
>>332611696
You must be ACfag i assume.
>>
>>332611729
Sounds about right.
>>
>Sakamoto has a long storied career full of great games
>makes 1 bomb
>thrown under the bus for all eternity
Well, at least he's still got a large active role at Nintendo and continues to have a hand in more great games. Were this Sega, dude would've ended up Yu Suzuki'd...
>>
>>332612269
>makes one bomb
He made fusion too
>>
>>332612269
Sakamoto just needs to realize he's not a story teller and stick to pure game design.
>>
File: TheDude's real identity.png (787 KB, 1540x1024) Image search: [Google]
TheDude's real identity.png
787 KB, 1540x1024
>>332610414
>Sex Genie is back

Did someone rub his "magic bottle"?
>>
File: 64548fa4.jpg (20 KB, 236x333) Image search: [Google]
64548fa4.jpg
20 KB, 236x333
>>332611918
The world doesn't need yet another shooter. It needs a proper Samus game. Sans the power armor and extreme weaponry.
>>
>>332612321
Which was still good no matter what Super autists say.
>>
>>332604774
On top of basically everything said in this thread so far:

The worst part of Other M? The absolute worst part? There are some good aspects to the game. Dodging around and blasting enemies was fun. Things like grates lying on the floor hinting at hidden stuff or enemies above. Samus running around with no health drops outside save stations and slow missile-recharging indicate a claustrophobia horror theme. It's clear that some people had some good ideas for the game, and were working on putting them together.

But it's clear that there were two or three (or more) ideas for the game design, and rather than focus on just one, they instead tried to shove it all together. And so you have dodging around on a control scheme which forces it into a near-invulnerability state, making combat piss easy. You have all these little environment cues pointing to a spot that gets highlighted by the mini-map. You have no health pickups but the ability to freely restore health. You have a postgame that's more fun than the main game, because you are finally free to wander around and explore where you want and aren't bogged down by pixelhunts and terrible story elements.

And that's really the worst aspect. It's clear that the game could've been made fun. Maybe not a good Metroid game, maybe not even that great of a game, but still something fun and amusing. Instead, we ended up with Other M.
>>
File: unclefester.jpg (32 KB, 233x237) Image search: [Google]
unclefester.jpg
32 KB, 233x237
>>332612409
>>
>>332612321
I'm worried about when he decides to Produce Dread. I'm already afraid since he has been wanting to make Samus an appealing Human character since 2002 and the fact that it would be made by what's left of the Fusion/Zero Mission team and possibly a Japanese third party would make me even more worried about the future of the main series.
>>
>>332612492
I like Metroid 1-3 but dislike Fusion for many reasons. It's a good game but a terrible Metroid game.
>>
>>332612371
I doubt that even. The only thing he has energy for anymore is short mini-game collections a la WarioWare. A large-scale project such as Other M was clearly out of his league, especially with his newfound God-Complex courtesy the runaway success of the Prime Trilogy (which he had nothing to do with).

His two attempts at story games (Famicom Tantei Club 1 and 2) actually tell decent yarns, but they aren't anything special. Other M shows that he has absolutely lost his mind.

>>332612269
take him away from the director's chair and he probably is ok. The autumn years of Nintendo's big developers show that they all grew so convinced of their own genius that they are unable to see how bad some of their ideas are.
>>
>>332612442
That's the thing though, it could still be a Metroid game the same way that the Prime games were. Just make that motherfucker third-person, OTS, have deeper combat than your usual Metroid game, but still with a focus on exploration and item acquisition, supervised by Nintendo, and it could be fucking amazing.

Also, give Samus a new rival character too.
>>
>>332612631
This
>>
>>332612121
>You were trying to say Nintendo generally doesn't care about continuity?
Yeah. And buttblasted waifufags are overreacting hard since the next Samus will have jack shit to do with OM's.
>>
>>332612321
Fusion wasn't a bomb. It outsold Super Metroid and all but three other Metroid game worldwide. It was one of the GBA's best selling games.
>>
NEW METROID PRIME WHEN????????????????
>>
>>332604774
The devs took Samus, who was a total blank slate without any characterisation prior to this game, and tried to make her into a person. They then remembered that none of them know how to write so they gave her a whiny, slipshod character that got lost in a muddled stupid story.

It was also on the Wii which didn't help.
>>
>>332612409
He looks over 40.
>>
>>332612828
Never.
>>
File: 1384483231726.gif (981 KB, 380x214) Image search: [Google]
1384483231726.gif
981 KB, 380x214
>>332607561
>The one boss where they are required was just terrible to fight.
There where I stopped playing and returned the game. I couldn't do it any more. It was just so bad.
>>
>>332612631
It at least beats Other M by a country mile though.
>>
>The mightiest Bounty hunter in the galaxy
>Destroyed the space pirates and fucking exploded Zebes
>Killed all Metroid at SR-388

>goon goes up against her with fucking farm equipment
>actually poses a challenge

Fuck this disrespectful piece of shit to be honest.
>>
>>332607561
>>332604774
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/metroid-other-m/0/0

sakamoto is fucking retarded that's why
>>
>>332612442
>>332612738
>play as Zero Suit Samus
>in a space station
>SA-X has arrived and is chasing after you
>your power suit has been dismantled and in pieces around the station
>SA-X is destroying parts of the station and absorbing parts of the suit, getting power-ups as the game progresses
>You need to avoid SA-X, make your way throughout the station, and outsmart SA-X to beat it without all your weaponry.
>>
>>332612828
If there is to be another, it can't be by Retro. Because they were straight up out of ideas after Prime 1. Prime 2 and 3 were rehashes of things in Prime 1, and Prime 3 was also as railroady/handholding as Fusion was.

Just as Retro took over for Rare in DKC games, someone needs to take over for Prime games.
>>
>>332612697
>His two attempts at story games (Famicom Tantei Club 1 and 2) actually tell decent yarns, but they aren't anything special
I actually played through Famicom Tantei Club 2 the other day and was pleasantly surprised by it.
Sakamoto was the writer on that? How did his skill at writing mysteries, decent characters and creating atmosphere take such a nosedive between the SNES and now?
>>
>>332612631
I really liked Fusion, but I can't disagree. For a Metroid game, it was pretty damn linear.
>>
>>332612879
>who was a total blank slate without any characterisation prior to this game
Official Metroid manga predating nearly all of the Metroid games says otherwise.
>>
>>332613151
The Prime games only really needed one game. Series needs to either go in a new direction or get a hard reboot. But we know none of that will ever happen.
>>
File: metroid_anthonyniggs.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
metroid_anthonyniggs.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>332613153
I suspect:

>no more Team Deer Force/Shikimaru
>no more Gunpei Yokoi as an overseer; notoriously string and demanded perfect and gameplay over everything else
>riding off the wave of celebrity with heralding game devs as "auteurs"

Watching him talk about how he was influenced by Suspiria and Dario Argento while talking about Other M is just fucking painful.
>>
>>332613097
It's hinted in the game that SA-X can actually replicate electronics and even Samus suit so there needs to be no fewer than 10 SA-X in the game
>>
>>332613170
Fusion was linear until it wasn't. Once you've visited the six main areas the world is your oyster. There is plenty of exploration to be had, not only for powerups but also to progress the game. Hell even in the initial parts of the game they tell you to do thing but not how to do it. Games way more hands off then people give it credit for. Plus, best boss fights in the series bar none. Can't hate it for that.
>>
File: SA-X.webm (3 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
SA-X.webm
3 MB, 480x360
>>332613489
>>
File: 1457097824753.png (58 KB, 700x1200) Image search: [Google]
1457097824753.png
58 KB, 700x1200
>>332609190
>>
>>332613283
I still question that manga.
>Chozo discovering SR-388 after Samus was born
>Samus pet and friends
>All these other reject species in the Federation
>Zebetite (Mother Brain's shield) being completely different from the games.
>Adult Samus arc
>Samus coming back to Zebes to save the Chozo
>Sakamoto supervised the manga, not write it.
>Sakamoto, Tanabe, and Nintendo never talk of the manga's existence
>>
>>332609190
maybe good games are just a fluke

or just super metroid was a fluke and prime was the result of blood sweat and tears that nobody else is willing to put in like Retro were.
>>
>>332613283
>weeb shit nobody read
FIFY.
>>
>>332613752
That's pretty sound logic though. Basically fighting fire with fire.
>>
>>332613283
i love in the manga that ridley kills everyone on her colony but lets babby samus live because she tries to befriend him, not knowing what's going on

and ridley finds it so funny he just flies off and leaves
>>
File: 1457062384139.jpg (89 KB, 582x388) Image search: [Google]
1457062384139.jpg
89 KB, 582x388
>>332604774
I'm truly excited for this game. also I want one of the mechsuits to be in the new smash.
>>
>>332613752
At least the Metroids could be stopped with cold ad the larger ones eventually destroyed with bombs. The X are easily several magnitudes more dangerous than the Metroids.
>>
>>332611332
and Other M directly contradicts info from every single previous game, canon or otherwise
>>
>>332614107
>what is this toddler doing here
>it wants to be my friend?
>LMAO check out your parents being wrecked kid
>they don't taste bad either LOL
>>
>>332613635
Is that something that can actually happen in the game? I never recalled running into more than one SA-X, or even being in a situation where it could be possible.
>>
>>332614240
>The X are easily several magnitudes more dangerous than the Metroids.
Yeah but they're generic as fuck. Literally every series with a space theme/setting to it ends up with an X-like universal threat.
>>
File: samushelmet.jpg (957 KB, 930x1558) Image search: [Google]
samushelmet.jpg
957 KB, 930x1558
>>332614240
the X were poorly-conceived.

Like Metroids are supposed to be the most terrifying weapons in the galaxy, or have the potential to be, but X can possess machinery, survive in heat, cold, vaccuum, are immune to every type of weaponry...

How were there even other forms of life on SR388 before Metroids were introduced to magically kill the X?

I know it was just an excuse for gameplay, but this is when Sakamoto started writing "plots" into his games and the whole concept is kind of shallow.

>metroids are shallow!
Yeah, but they require less explanation and the plots of the previous games could fit on postcards.
>>
>>332614429
Fuck you. The Thing is the best and it makes every setting better.
>>
>>332614429
I mean, Metroid's kind of in a generic setting anyway.
>>
File: 1438662969665.webm (3 MB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1438662969665.webm
3 MB, 800x600
Remember the first time you entered Phendrana?
>>
>>332614819
No, because I don't play first person shooters.
>>
File: 1414276084800.webm (3 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
1414276084800.webm
3 MB, 854x480
>>332615002
You sound kind of retarded.
>>
File: metroidstory.png (412 KB, 645x500) Image search: [Google]
metroidstory.png
412 KB, 645x500
>>332613776
Aliens have been in the Federation since the beginning.
>>
File: jpguide1_dustjacket.png (2 MB, 1230x1000) Image search: [Google]
jpguide1_dustjacket.png
2 MB, 1230x1000
>>332614585
this works though when you have weird-looking aliens, garish colors, and nasty-looking bosses.

Fusion and OM were set in generic familiar-looking spacestations, which make their generic, familiar enemies all that more blase.

>>332614535
The Thing is cool. The X are not, because the game never lived up to its potential.

>enemies rarely reform or combine
>the one that does, Mutant SA-X is piss-easy and just hops around
>X, the terror of the galaxy, spends most of its time impersonating small bugs, toads, crabs, and fish

The Thing was unpredictable and interesting. X in contrast were limited by the game and very predictable (and boring).

The flora and fauna of the other Metroid games benefit from having weirder designs and being placed in stranger environments.
>>
File: 1398985689687.webm (3 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
1398985689687.webm
3 MB, 854x480
>>
File: 1410105614904.webm (3 MB, 848x480) Image search: [Google]
1410105614904.webm
3 MB, 848x480
>>
>>332614819
Yeah, it was kind of a "oh shit this looks cool, and where the fuck do I go now" feeling.
>>
>>332611887
God, thank you.

Tons of people always talk about how they want Metroid 5 to continue where Fusion picked off, and I hate that idea so much. I think Metroid needs to get the fuck away from evil space gubmint Weyland-Yutani as fast as possible.
>>
File: 1410819134073.webm (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1410819134073.webm
2 MB, 1920x1080
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mziw3FQkZYg
>>
File: 1419737394530.jpg (223 KB, 984x1069) Image search: [Google]
1419737394530.jpg
223 KB, 984x1069
Confession time I hate that I love the smash 4 zero suit version of Samus. I hate that everything about it is super sexy
>>
>>332615359
Why? I don't get why people hate that the Zero Suit is so sexy, it only ever appears at the end of the game barring Other M.
>>
File: 1420430490006.png (32 KB, 240x416) Image search: [Google]
1420430490006.png
32 KB, 240x416
>>332615359
I hate you too.
>>
>>332615305
>>332611887
>The Federation is noble and good in the Prime games
>The Federation is corrupted in Fusion and Other M
You know, voters should really stop voting fo the political party that wants to research biological weapons and should stick with the one that wants to replicate Samus' powersuit.
>>
File: 1441326263813.webm (3 MB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1441326263813.webm
3 MB, 800x600
>>332615502
It's probably an EU type thing where voters don't even to decide anything.
>>
>>332604774
>still forcing the other m is bad meme

primefag circlejerk thread?
>>
>>332615440
Other M's zero suit is fucking disgusting. Every other version is fine, but that one makes me puke.
>>
>>332610931
I think the vanishing on the N64 is forgivable because a lot of series struggled to transition to 3d.
>>
>>332614819
>Remember the first time you entered Phendrana?
yeah i had to head straight to the options menu and turn down the in-game brightness lol

>>332615305
seconding this. the federation never was and will never be interesting. fusion/prime3/other m proved this in very different ways.
>>
File: 1398984848862.webm (3 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
1398984848862.webm
3 MB, 854x480
>>
>>332615078
That was retconned in future game entries.
>>
>>332615718
Such as?
>>
File: 1455658330410.png (228 KB, 300x420) Image search: [Google]
1455658330410.png
228 KB, 300x420
>>332615615
memes don't lie

otter m is garbage
>>
>>332615662
It didn't have to go 3D on the N64 or beyond, just as Kirby didn't and continues not to. If only the Nintendo of then had known of the future success they'd have with 2D platformers on highly 3D systems...
>>
>>332610597
>image

haloidbabby autism
>>
>>332615787
He probably means how in Fusion and Other M, everyone you interact with is human.

But we know from Prime Hunters/3, the Federation either includes or pays for the services of tons of other weird aliens.

Another reason why I hate the Sakamoto portrayal.
>>
File: 1414652440158.webm (3 MB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1414652440158.webm
3 MB, 1280x960
>tfw you'll never roll around at the speed of sound
>>
>>332615678
>the federation never was and will never be interesting.
Fuck you, the federation will be interesting if I can see the different political factions struggling inside of its territory, the budget it has for the different military and civilian branches, the propaganda and ideologies, how the political parties define each other, the speeches they give on the senate, the friction between the Federation Navy and other stuff and the government relations with the high classes of the Federation.

I know I'm boring, shut up.
>>
>>332615440
Latex is boner killing you dipshit

regardless some people don't like fucking sexualizing everything, nor people shoving it in their face

not to mention this poor fap bait the only attention the Metroid series gets anymore, in what way should that make a fan happy?

Its like when a favorite actor gets an incurable disease, or dies, or commits suicide. It colors your memory of them
>>
File: 1444006376149.png (561 KB, 794x895) Image search: [Google]
1444006376149.png
561 KB, 794x895
>>332616109
The thing is sure the Federation COULD be interesting, but who fucking cares? It's like the senate scenes in the Star Wars prequels. I guess it's important but not to anything I care about or anything related to Metroid games.
>>
>>332616325
>but who fucking cares?
I care

>It's like the senate scenes in the Star Wars prequels.
Lucas is a hack, he doesn't know shit about politics
>>
File: 1427931666802.png (1 MB, 1200x1650) Image search: [Google]
1427931666802.png
1 MB, 1200x1650
>>
>>332615002
Yeah, it shows Sakamoto, it shows...
>>
>>332615615
sakamoto, please...
>>
>>
File: 1392421805057.jpg (636 KB, 1130x1394) Image search: [Google]
1392421805057.jpg
636 KB, 1130x1394
>>
File: 1398372746823.webm (3 MB, 682x386) Image search: [Google]
1398372746823.webm
3 MB, 682x386
What do you want Prime 4 to be about?
>>
>>332615871
You're not thinking of what Nintendo thought at the time. 3D was new, it was cool, old 2d sprites were going away. Zelda transitioned. Mario transitioned. Donkey Kong dabbled. Sonic had a real hard time transitioning. Mega Man made a whole knew series around 3D. Castlevania stumbled along, but went back to 2D when that wasn't working, and the original Symphony of the Night, while very pretty, honestly did sell like shit.

Nintendo needed to at least TRY to make it 3D. Even if they split the difference and made a 2.5D like Yoshi or Kirby, they needed to at least try to make it 3D.
>>
>>332617028
I don't want a prime 4 the prime story is done
>>
>>332604774

Nothing, Other M was a golden gift from the gods after the horrible FPS Dudebro-pandering trash that was the Prime series!

/movieblob
>>
If you like prime you are a newfag, and underage, and a gamecube babby millenial and need to be shot
>>
>>332617185
>Stupid fucking retards thinking that Prime means the actual storyline involving the Metroid Prime

It's the STYLE. The 3D first person STYLE is Prime. Christ even Miyamoto said this, why are people this stupid?
>>
File: 1442101744342.png (230 KB, 699x825) Image search: [Google]
1442101744342.png
230 KB, 699x825
>>332617028
>A space pirate cult still believing in Dark Samus tries to revive her.
>they find some hidden phazon.
>Samus is dispatched to destroy them.
>However, it is a trap, they needed Samus to revive Dark Samus.
>It is revealed that Samus body will always produce Phazon for the rest of her life, thus there is a chance that her more violent and cruel side, Dark Samus could come back.
>If she can't control herself, she will become Dark Samus.
>>
>>332617487
Anon this is awful. All Phazon was eradicated from the universe, it's pretty plainly stated in 3. Come up with something else.
>>
>>332617607
No, as far as we know, all phazon close to Phaaze was eradicated, not all phazon in the universe. Besides, my story is super cool, fuck you.
>>
>>332617363
Shitty edge bait, apply yourself.
>>
>>332616182
Please calm down.

Other M is the only Metroid that was "shoving it in their face" and we all already agree Other M is bad.

I don't care what non-fans associate with Metroid. The only thing I associate with Final Fantasy is how hot some of the female characters are, why should FF fans care what I think?
>>
>>332617729
Nintendo: "Phaaze dies and all the Phazon in the universe ceases to exist."

http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Metroid_Prime_Trilogy_art_booklet

PAL is the canon version.
>>
>>332617992
Oh yeah? Well Samus still has the potential to create phazon inside of her because her DNA changed and the pirates know that so they will use that to make her into a new Dark Samus.

Check mate, nerdlord.
>>
I liked the little fuzzball metamorphosing into Ridley. It's not super important either way, but it's a fun little worldbuilding detail. Shame they put it in Other M and not a good game.
>>
>>332617916
>Smash faggots being blind to their own game

who do you think focuses on the fucking zero suit to being with?
>>
>>332618235
Nintendo: "The Phazon evaporates from Samus's body."

http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Metroid_Prime_Trilogy_art_booklet

Did you even read the site?
>>
>>332618830
>reading a wiki
lol

>The Phazon evaporates from Samus's body.
The ACTIVE Phazon evaporated from her body, but not the potential to generate more. It's like if you shut down a factory and destroy everything it produced. It's still possible to generate more if you open it.

Double check mate, fagtron.
>>
>prime's fanfiction writing is so shitty it contradicts itself and retcons itself across regional versions

fucking garbage
>>
>>332614107
It was more like he was smashed by his ship that her dad blew up.
>>
>>332619012
Phazon was a hyper dimensional singular Solaris organism

There is only one in the first place

"Consuming" just means concentrating its local representation

It was completely shunted out of local space time
>>
>>332619012
Are you stupid? Retro pulled a Metroid: Fusion Samus DNA is back to normal no Phazon, no Metroid.
>>
>>332618710
Smash isn't a Metroid game I'm pretty sure.
>>
>>332619169
>Phazon was a hyper dimensional singular Solaris organism
And this is why I don't like Prime lore. WTF?
>>
>>332619329
Smash is the only recent representation, and it spawned the whole zero suit fandom, was the point
>>
>>332619307
>>332619169
why are you trying to shun my idea, huh? Is it because it's super awesome and you guys are jealous? Yeah, I bet that's the reason. You can't come up with something better.
>>
>>332619329
Just like Prime go figure
>>
>>332619398
>doesn't like fighting lovecraftian horrors
>>
>>332619465
Ok so then it didn't contradict anything I said.
>>
>>332619467
No one is trying to shun your ideas; your ideas just can't work if Phazon no longer exist in the confines of the universe.
>>
>>332619540
Because what you said was irrelevant

it is the source of all the shit tier zero-suit fap bait fandom, and You should fucking know that if you read the quote chain you responded to
>>
>>332619532
Wasn't Phazon a radioactive mutagen in the first Prime?
>>
>>332616109
>Fuck you, the federation will be interesting if I can see the different political factions struggling inside of its territory, the budget it has for the different military and civilian branches, the propaganda and ideologies, how the political parties define each other, the speeches they give on the senate, the friction between the Federation Navy and other stuff and the government relations with the high classes of the Federation.
Isn't this just every fictional world/universal govt ever?
>>
>>332619708
>fictional world
You know, fictional governments are based in real governments, right?
>>
>>332619658
Have you read any lovecraft?
"Colour beyond space", is literally a story about a lovecraftian horror radiocative meteorite that mutates and kills life
>>
>>332617607
>All Phazon was eradicated from the universe, it's pretty plainly stated in 3.
Remember when all Metroids were eradicated and the universe was at peace? Good times.
>>
>>332619814
>reading meme authors
lol
not him btw, I'm just memeing
>>
>>332619902
Was the Metroid eradication a Deus ex Machina?

>>332619814
I never liked how Prime Samus was physically stronger than main Samus. Metroid II and Super Metroid stories take place after Prime, why is Samus weaker?
>>
>>332620121
>physically stronger
what are you talking about?
>>
>>332619620
Someone said that they hate the Zero Suit being sexy because
>not to mention this poor fap bait the only attention the Metroid series gets anymore, in what way should that make a fan happy?

I then responded saying
>I don't care what non-fans associate with Metroid.

How is that irrelevant?
And how is that contradicted by someone re-stating that Smash is what made the ZS popular?
>>
>>332620286
Have you even played the 2D Metroids and compared it to Prime. Samus weapons in Prime ranges from average to straight up bullshit. Samus beans in the 2D games never really seemed impractical. Dark Beam, Light Beam, Prime 3 Hyber Beam, Samus floating in the air every time the Phazon corruption in her body got worse, Hyper mode. Seriously Prime lost me.
>>
Metroid 5 fucking when?

Need post-Fusion goodness.

Also need genuinely new powerups and obstacles. Samus having the same upgrades in virtually every game is just tiring.
>>
>>332620394
WHY WOULD THE ONLY REPRESENTATION FOR A DECADE, SMASH WHICH GENERATED THE FUCKING FETISHIZATION, MAKE FANS HAPPY YOU RAGING SHITLORD
>>
>>332620612
>2d: beam goes through walls
>3d: overpowered compared to that in any way
>>
>>332620612
Strange, I always felt the weapons in Prime were terribly weak. Possibly because every enemy under the sun in those games were sponges? Even Hyper Mode wasn't a 1, 2, or 3 shotter. Just had to keep on hammering away at enemies, aside from the obligatory 1hp things like scarabs/bees.
>>
>>332620640
I never said it should make fans happy.
At most, I implied that fans should be indifferent to it. I personally am.
>>
>>332620612
>>332620286
I almost forgot all those fucking weapons from Prime Hunters.
>>
>>332620696
>2d: beam goes through walls
Well that's true, but IDK something about Prime felt off. It felt more like I was playing DC/Marvel comic instead of playing Metroid game. The first Prime didn't give me the comic book feeling, that game actually felt like Metroid to me.
>>
>>332620942
Remember the Death Ball from Prime 2 multi?
>>
>>332621620
>playing the Prime 2 multiplayer
LOL
I do, it is awesome. Or the computer virus that you scan into your opponents? Fucking sweet
>>
>>332621620
Yeah, but that was multiplayer, not really canon.
>>
>>332604774
Aside from the DOA looking character designs, the presentation was great and I loved the direction that they went with how the game was designed with weird camera angles in a 3d environment, but still use d-pad movement. But that's all the good I can say, they fucked everything else up.
>>
>>332620612
But the Dark and Light Beams were awesome and so were the beam combinations.

>not just firing a miniature black hole at your enemies
>>
>>332622591
>black hole
edgy, shooting a small sun is the real deal.
>>
Take Fusion and make everything controversial about that game five times worse. Add some watered down Ninja Gaiden combat for good measure and you have one Other M, best served lukewarm with a side of stale bread and stagnant water.
>>
>>332622591
True, but they didn't make much sense. The Wave Beam made sense it is made up of electromagnetic energy which can pass through solid objects. The Plasma Beam can pass through enemies which also make sense due to plasma being super heated.
>>
>>332604774
They didn't fuck anything up. It's a great game, and only ideologically driven retards think otherwise.
>>
File: 1457940869196.png (165 KB, 542x352) Image search: [Google]
1457940869196.png
165 KB, 542x352
>>332624484
Thread replies: 225
Thread images: 41

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.