[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Original or remake /v/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 12
File: majora's mask 3d.jpg (14 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
majora's mask 3d.jpg
14 KB, 240x240
Original or remake /v/?
>>
>>332604309
3ds unless you don't have one, but it's not like you're missing much desu
>>
>>332604309
None, please.
>>
>>332604309
Ocarina of Time
>>
>>332604309

Have to say remake. The changes just make the game so much better, with the boss fights feeling a lot more like proper challenges, the improved notebook and the improved models.

That said, there is a change that gets my autism flaring: ice arrows no longer make ice platforms in water just anywhere. Now they only work where the water sparkles.
>>
The original. The 3DS version handholds you to the extreme, has shitty unfun zora swimming, made ice arrows even less useful than they were in the original. There are also a lot of changes that seem completely pointless like moving the bank to south clock town and making the astral observatory stairs not rainbow (seriously wtf). Just play the original.
>>
>>332604309
The remake had somehow EVEN LESS difficulty so I'm going with the original. A little difficulty is better than none at all.
>>
File: 1350336614653.jpg (80 KB, 421x400) Image search: [Google]
1350336614653.jpg
80 KB, 421x400
>>332606654
>ice arrows no longer make ice platforms in water just anywhere. Now they only work where the water sparkles.
Fuckers.
>>
The GC version
>>
Remake is much better
>>
File: 1458364881268.jpg (65 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
1458364881268.jpg
65 KB, 768x1024
>>332609424
>making the astral observatory stairs not rainbow
You're kidding right? If not thanks for saving me $30.
>>
Wii VC is objectively the best
>>
>>332604309
The old framerate is so hard to get used to again.
I've played the originals multiple times each.
Then I played the remakes back to back (to back, including master quest.)
Then I tried the original again and it's like, I can almost count the frames.
>>
>>332604309
Original but if you hated it then the remake is for you
>>
>>332610425
I thought that was buggy? Why not the Wii VC version?
>>
Although the remake fucked up at places, it also fixed a lot of shit that was wrong with the original
>>
remakes obviously

pros:
-much smoother gameplay
-obvious graphical upgrades
-fishing added if you're into that
-some bosses made more interesting and fun
-easier item management
-song of double time lets you skip to any hour rather than 12 hour increments (this will save A LOT of time)
-portable
-saving is much better

cons:
-swimming fast is restricted to magic use only (this can be good for some cases like navigating through tight corners but is less fun in most situations)
-the rainbow coloration was removed for boring brown in the observatory. I know this sounds nit picky, but this was the point where you truly realized MM was like no other zelda game, coupled with the music. I have no idea why they would do this
-some bosses made easier
>>
If you care about direction and artistic integrity, original.

If you're a plebeian and only want to jerk off, play the 3D.

The fact the majority of people here posting remake proves that videogames are still never going to be taken seriously by anyone, and should be glad to pay for the modern AAA game.
>>
>>332611050
*tips majora*
>>
>>332604309
Trash.
>>
>>332611126
You're a hypocrite if you buy any modern game that isn't made by Miyuzaki, Yoko Taro, or Hideki Kamiya.
>>
>>332611050
Way to make your statement completely worthless dude.
>>
>>332611050
>videogames are still never going to be taken seriously by anyone
Why would you want that?
>>
>>332611298
Oh fuck off with that shit. Yoko Taro game's are the most busted shit ever. They're literally kept afloat by the fact that they're weird and quirky.
>>
I would like this game if it werent for the shitty swimming I shouldnt have to wait until night, have 200 rupees, and buy milk just to have old swimming back.Fuck off
>>
>>332611412
Because then we'll have games that actually take advantage of the interactive medium in order to take it to creative levels and make games more FUN using their knowledge and expertise instead of just simple, shallow garbage being pumped out every month?
>>
>>332611803
You just sound like an extreme games-are-art-fag in your original comment. A bad one at that

>Miyuzaki, Yoko Taro, or Hideki Kamiya.
Are you also the guy that said this? Because only playing stuff from these guys will not let you experience everything the medium has to offer

>Taro games
>fun
They're weird and freaky but rarely mindnumbingly fun
>>
>>332612093
I'm talking about modern games.

They're the only people making compex games that have actual depth nowadays in the AAA/Non-indie scene.
>>
>muh stairs
I bet some people will complain about this. It's fucking petty.
>>
>there are people that'd rather slash at fucking centipedes for a minute instead of suplexing them
>>
>>332604309
I wanna replay this masterpiece but have an authentic experience.
Anyone try those USB N64 controllers?
>http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KBAC8JU/ref=mp_s_a_1_sc_2?qid=1459403013&sr=8-2-spell&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=n64+usb+cintroller
>>
File: rainbowstairs.jpg (114 KB, 725x240) Image search: [Google]
rainbowstairs.jpg
114 KB, 725x240
remake ruined the art direction
>>
>>332612718
What in fuck's name were they thinking?

I swear to god nintendo makes decisions with a fucking roulette wheel. Absolute madmen.
>>
>>332612718
>they rotated a crystal
crazed MADMEN
>>
File: 5901622.jpg (38 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
5901622.jpg
38 KB, 500x374
Original
>>
>>332612654
>authentic
>N64 emulation

good one
>>
>>332604309
Original. Why? Because it has some of the most interest boss fights in the franchise. No patterns. No weak points. Here's the boss. It's going to try to kill you. It's not gonna do some move that leaves it open for a counter-attack. It's just gonna straight-up try to fucking kill you.
Remake fucked the bosses up and made them exactly the same as every other fucking Zelda boss. Follow pattern, hit weakpoint. Gyorg even fucking hangs back and gives you room to breathe if you follow him underwater (in the original he just rushes you down and skullfucks you for stepping into his turf). Fucking casualized bullshit.
>>
>>332616247
well put, thanks for the input

this is what does it for me, not playing the remake but replaying the OG
>>
>>332616247
fucking hated that shit with goht unless i missed something now you have to untransfrom and hit the eye with arrows?
>>
>>332610486
That pic :(
>>
>>332616247
>written by someone who never played the game
>>
>>332612718
this is cherry picked AF and the only thing wrong with the artstyle
>>
>>332604309
neither, play OoT you fedora.
>>
>>332616247
>gyorg
>casualized

he's harder in the 3ds version

>>332616836
punch him?
>>
>>332618378
Was gyorg suppose to be difficult,
I was reading something that said the MM was tougher than oot's water temple,
But I though both were super simple when I was 12...

Is everyone just bad at video games
>>
>>332604309
I've never played the 3DS version, but I'm going to say it is because I'm sure the framerate is better than the N64 one. Even with the expansion pak, that game ran chuggy as hell until you acclimated to it. I'd love to see remakes/very cleaned up ports of all the pak-using N64 games like Banjo-Tooie and Perfect Dark, just to be able to experience them running well.
>>
>>332612718
so, which one is 3ds?
>>
Remake has a framerate that is actually playable, for starters.
>>
Play both! The 3DS version is even better if you've played the original because it answers a lot of unsolved questions that the original didn't in most of the side quests. The game has more challenging boss fights and made a few changes that make sense, such as putting the stone mask in pirate's fortress to actually make that area relevant.

The remake is a breath of fresh air and check out all the personality they put into most of the areas. People are docking the observatory, but there's 100 more sick things they put in. Grab some chateau romani and look at that gorgeous bar.

IMO most of the people that complain about the remake didn't play it. That's how most people are these days. Reviewing games without playing em.
>>
>>332618594
Everyone is just bad at videogames.
>>
>>332618607
>rare replay
>>
File: MajorasMaskGuideSpot5.jpg (26 KB, 416x254) Image search: [Google]
MajorasMaskGuideSpot5.jpg
26 KB, 416x254
>muh ice arrows
outside of the great bay temple and getting into ikana canyon, when did you ever use them for iceblocks in water?

>muh stairs
this is straight up fucking autism and is such a nitpick that it should be immediately disregarded.

the framerate alone in the remake makes it a better option
>>
>>332606654
Hey man what they did to Zora swimming was a crime.
>>
Hmmm... it always really bothered me how they rushed the scenes and dialogue in the beginning with the skull kid. The pacing is only slightly different, but having replayed the game enough times, it felt strange. It also somehow came off as less foreboding and heavy. Most of that atmosphere was done away with in the remake... but it does look nicer graphically. I was also mad I couldn't use the stone mask to cheese the Gerudo pirate ship.
>>
>>332618594
no, just harder

nothing has been difficult in zelda ever since OoT, unless you miss the song of slowing down time in MM, even then it's more tedious than difficult cause you can miss events
>>
>>332619238
the stairs complement a very important part of MM because it's the first time you really see anything that ethereal
>>
Either version of OoT is good, but the MM port was butchered.
>>
File: MM N64 vs MM3D.png (1 MB, 1236x472) Image search: [Google]
MM N64 vs MM3D.png
1 MB, 1236x472
>>332619238
>Criticize the removal of an actual artistic decision. The creators had to make the fucking decision to change the colour of the stairs.
>lol autism
Please, I beg of you, never buy a single videogame again. Just pirate all of them, please.
>>
File: 1455399649076.jpg (297 KB, 1143x531) Image search: [Google]
1455399649076.jpg
297 KB, 1143x531
I'm going with the 3DS one, because that runs at a better framerate.
>>
>>332621993
If I ever make a videogame and it gets remade by talentless hacks and praised regardless, I would literally kill myself, just like Iwata.
>>
>>332621738
>>332621891
ok there very pretty ya ya. its in such a minor area anyway so who gives a fuck. its still perfectly fucking playable without them. now if they completely redone the art direction of clock town or some shit to something incredibly bland, that would be something to hoot and holler over.
>>
>>332622859
>its in such a minor area anyway so who gives a fuck.
Apathetic people like you deserve to be lynched.
>>
>>332622859
it's not a minor area, it's the part where the game finally transitions from being another OoT in style to being MM. It by no mean destroys it and I think the remake is better than the original by a good margin, but if you don't understand the impact of the original observatory then you're not looking into it enough.
>>
>>332604517
This.
MM is good but it's the hipster's favorite Zelda.
Or is that WW? Actually WW is pretty popular now, what can the hipsters latch onto? Skyward Sword?
>>
>>332616247
majoras mask wasn't a hard game in the first place though.
>>
>>332610486
That person let their dog get way too fat.
>>
>>332623056
no skyward sword is contrarians/trolls which are even worse

there is no 3D console zelda that's hipster
>>
>>332622859
>minor area
That's mandatory to go through, and it helps set the tone of how odd and bizarre the game will be.
>>
MM had some visual novel elements to it with the complexity of the interaction with npcs. The change to the song of double time completely destroys that element. Nobody is going to wait around and talk to people at different times and figure it out yourself. They'll just look up a guide and say, okay gotta go to two o clock, then eleven at night, then three.
>>
File: 1452821667217.jpg (44 KB, 500x371) Image search: [Google]
1452821667217.jpg
44 KB, 500x371
>People getting assblasted over a single change in style that belonged to a flight of stairs.

Enjoyed MM since the original release with the stairs design included in one of the many things I liked in appearance as I played. Holy fuck though are some of you looking balls deep into it enough that's reaching fan-fiction level.
>>
>>332623210
I'd say Wind Waker is pretty hipster.
>game is hated when it came out
>fans cry for more dark zelda like OoT
>twilight princess is the answer to that demand
>suddenly wind waker was the best zelda ever
The western market has no idea what they want and just continuously try to out obscure each other.
>>
>>332621993
boskeletonrp
>>
>>332623645
Tbh I don't really follow zelda much nowaday, I think ever since WW it's just become a worse metroid (if we ignore other M's existance) in my eyes. I doubt zelda U will be different because the previous 10 years of zelda have been so piss easy and devoid of challenge I just can't enjoy them as much, even on hero mode, but I guess i'll hold out
>>
>>332619238
>the framerate alone in the remake makes it a better option
Thanks for bringing this up. I tried to replay MM but the FPS was a huge turn off. I wish it was at least a stable 30. Was MM's fps lower than OoT? Because that's how it felt on my emulator
>>
>>332621993
bo skeleton rp
>>
>>332618594
I never got the rage over Gyorg. You shoot an arrow, you hit him with the Zora energy shield, you jump back onto the platform without bonking your head on the side, rinse and repeat.
>>
original majora, remake oot.
>>
>>332621993
I never got this. Does it trigger some sort of auto ban if you do it?
>>
>>332624089
That's what I assumed, like the old java autobans with field( or some shit I don't remember.
>>
>>332621993
boskeletonrp
>>
>>332623056
WW is now babby's first Zelda.
>>
>>332622982
Literal autism.
>>
They made Gyorg's fight not suck ass, and you get to grapple Twinmold. 3D.
>>
File: gyorg.png (242 KB, 650x182) Image search: [Google]
gyorg.png
242 KB, 650x182
>>
Can anyone tell me a great gift would be for someone who love OoT more than anything?
>>
>>332610486
>astral observatory stairs not rainbow (seriously wtf)
>>332610486
>If not thanks for saving me $30.

Shit, you guys are fuitcakes. The 3DS version massively improves the actual observatory by making it a proper dome like a cosmic planetarium when you walk up in to it. But you guys always ignore this and act like it didn't look like shit in the original.

The rainbow stairs were just colors randomly slapped onto the stock wood texture anyway. It was clearly place holder art that they lacked the time to do properly
>>
>>332604309

Original.

Better boss fights, better ice arrows, better beginning.

remake is too easy, redid all the bosses to make them easier, redid all ice arrow sections to make them easier, etc.
>>
>>332627285
>randomly slapped
>It was clearly place holder art that they lacked the time to do properly
Okay Mr. N64 dev guy.
The distaste for Majora's Mask is a sort of "death by a thousands cuts" scenario. A bunch of small bullshit built up into a massive fucking turd and pushed away a lot of old fans/nostalgia faggots.
>>
>>332623250
The entirety of the remake is changed to look more bizarre and have more contrasts in tone by a massive degree. The original area left no impact on me and just looked out of place.
>>
>>332627517
>Better boss fights
>redid all the bosses to make them easier,
This is the biggest bullshit meme in the existence of the port and it seriously needs to stop.

The principle is still the fucking same, it doesn't matter if there's a big eye to hit(as in other titles) or you simply hit another spot. The change makes absolutely no difference in the end.
>>
>>332627185
A bullet to the brain.
>>
>>332623405
That's exactly why the remake changes are so much better, it makes exploring the NPC interaction freely something the player has far more incentive to do because:

a) The bombers notebook it filled in progressively by the player
b) You can go to some time you are curious about to try to talk to a character then, fuck up, then go back to where you were before without having to waste any more time.

Hence, the player has every reason to experiment and interact with NPCs more, which is the whole point.

Your entire argument hinges on the player "looking up a guide" when the changes exist precisely to remove the motivation to do exactly that, which the original encouraged far more.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-31-13-03-43.png (238 KB, 800x480) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-31-13-03-43.png
238 KB, 800x480
Play the remake new rich colors are so aesthetically pleasing the deep blue and purple in the night sky are just orgasmic
>>
>>332633324
This. Seriously, the original has this pointlessly washed out look that doesn't fit it and the lighting is actually massively improved, as you can see.
>>
File: Majoras-Mask-3D-screenshot-03.png (2 MB, 1920x1077) Image search: [Google]
Majoras-Mask-3D-screenshot-03.png
2 MB, 1920x1077
lemme make this easy for you
>>
For OoT I'd definitely say the N64 version. The 3DS remake of that game fucked way too much with the unique aesthetic and atmosphere which made it so good.

The MM remake on the other hand hasn't messed too much with aesthetic, except for like missing the rainbow stairs. There are however a couple of questionable changes which will make you think HUH?, like the Mask Salesman now gives you the Bomber's Notebook instead of the fucking Bombers themselves.

By the way, both the N64 and 3DS version get framerate drops.
>>
>>332634374
Agreed in general. I find it unfortunate that OoT got remade before everything else, as all that came after ended up being far more refined. It easily could have been the definite version, has it used lighting closer to MM 3DS and had full on Hero Mode + quad damage instead of anything more pussy.
>>
>>332621993
boskeletonrp
>>
>>332630308
Kek
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.