[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did the Wii U fail so terribly? What the fuck went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 12
File: wii_u_iwata.jpg (240 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
wii_u_iwata.jpg
240 KB, 960x720
Why did the Wii U fail so terribly?

What the fuck went wrong?
>>
>>332555974

>Only niche games for a niche audience
>Past gen hardware
>No multiplats
>Stupid as fuck name
>Stupid as fuck gamepad
>Prehistoric Online functions
>The casuals that massively and mindlessly bought the Wii are now massively and mindlessly buying tablets
>>
>>332555974

It had great exclusive games, that's literally all I need or expect from my consoles. I consider to that end the Wii U to be a success.
>>
>>332555974
no gaems. Nintendo either needs to get 3rd party exclusives or create sequels to all of their IPs at a yearly rate.
>>
>>332555974
Due to name people didn't know it was a new console. Lack of appealing games on said console.
>>
>>332555974
-Stupid name
-Region locked
-No multiplats
-Underpowered
-Overpriced (300$ Really?)
-Stupid controller
-Casuals abandoned them

etc
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (133 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
133 KB, 1280x720
I think the WiiU is fantastic. It just needs games.

There was so much awe and wonder the first time I played through NintendoLand and became acquainted with all of the touchscreen gimmicks. I looked forward to all of the games that would use the touchscreen, camera, and tilting technology that is all inside of the GamePad.

But then Nintendo aborted on all that potential for brand-new innovative gameplay and just made it so you could just play all the game using the GamePad exclusively without a TV.

The WiiU is basically like a console version of a 3DS. Any puzzle games you could think of that play well on the DS and 3DS would work just as well on the WiiU.
>>
>>332556963
>I think the WiiU is fantastic. It just needs games.

How can a console be fantastic if it lacks games? it's like saying "this table is fantastic, It just needs to be able to don't break when you put something on it".
>>
Nothing went wrong. I love my WiiU just like many others do. Do you think /v/ = entire world?
>>
File: wii-u-gamepad-controller.jpg (19 KB, 640x334) Image search: [Google]
wii-u-gamepad-controller.jpg
19 KB, 640x334
>>332558165
The hardware has the potential to be the best console ever made. The GamePad is GENIUS
>>
>>332555974
Nintendo made a console exclusively for manchildren, but forgot that manchildren make up only a fraction of console buyers.
>>
>>332558742

It's just a controller with a touch screen on it....
>>
>>332555974
1) Tried to win back the "hardcore gamers" after the Wii if you had a tiny bit of taste you'd know the Wii had a fuckton of top-notch vidya but called the system the Wii U
2) Calling it the Wii U also confused casuals who thought it was yet another peripheral
3) It's a generation behind hardware-wise meaning it can't play the latest CoD and FIFA, which are what really sell consoles
>>
Shitty marketing.
>>
>>332559336
>1) Tried to win back the "hardcore gamers" after the Wii

Actually, they wanted the casual audience frrom the very beginning.

They went for the "core or hardcore" audience when casuals didn't want it.
>>
>>332558742
>The GamePad is GENIUS

It's just the same Nintendo DS concept. It was some sort of a "genius" thing when they released the NDS but with WiiU the only new thing was that you could play an HD game in a fucking little screen.

I mean...WiiU it's like a 100.000$ car with the features of a 15.000$ one and then they said "But you can ride it on a 100m closed path!" as a gimmick. It's fucking retarded.
>>
File: painwheel brown.png (359 KB, 1031x745) Image search: [Google]
painwheel brown.png
359 KB, 1031x745
Stupid name
stupid controller
bad third party support
no good mario 3d platformer. Sorry but Super Mario 3D World was never seen by people to be on the same level as a SM64, Sunshine, Galaxy, etc.
No big Zelda release
No big Metroid release

they fucked up big time.
>>
File: 1454358657296.jpg (150 KB, 1417x551) Image search: [Google]
1454358657296.jpg
150 KB, 1417x551
>any console selling less than 100 million units is a failure because of the PlayStation
>>
>>332555974
The name. If they called it "Nintendo Fartbox" it would have done infinitely better. Literally every casual consumer thought it was some controller peripheral for the Wii.
>>
>>332555974
I think we have this thread everyday. Come back tomorrow.
>>
File: Comparision.jpg (4 MB, 4896x3672) Image search: [Google]
Comparision.jpg
4 MB, 4896x3672
>>332558742
>>332559060
>>332555974
Top- can do anything with it you want
Bottom- stupid gimmick that distracts from the main screen, can only be used as a gimmick
Top-Form fitting and comfortable
Bottom- Clunky, annoying to hold.
Top- total cost 90$
Bottom- Total Cost 150$
>>
>>332555974
1. when they first showed it they showed nothing but the gamepad and for too long people didnt understand if it was a new console or a peripheral for the wii

2. Hilariously bad market exposure, far too often you had stores advertising the wiiu in ads but using a picture of the Wii

3. Niche games

4. you didnt buy it
>>
you made this thread more than ten times

why are you so desperate? is this really all you have in your pathetic life? shitposting on an image board 24/7?
>>
>>332560558
>clunky and annoying to hold

what? it holds just fine, and if anything I think its too light and needs more heft.
>>
>Why did the Wii U fail so terribly?
it didn't

>What the fuck went wrong?
nothing, it's clearly the best console of this generation. with the best games. by far

literally 0/10 shitposting
>>
>>332555974
HOW ABOUT ZERUDA U NOT BEING OUT YET!!!
>>
the wii u is a great console

it just lacks power for multiplats
>>
shit hardware and terrible gamepad
>>
>>332561002
More like nobody wanted to bother deving for it when they can do whatever they want on the other two platforms where they have freereign
>>
File: 1458337138274.gif (339 KB, 370x330) Image search: [Google]
1458337138274.gif
339 KB, 370x330
Reminder that Satoru Iwata is dead and won't be a part of this year's E3 because you fags shat a storm about last years E3 presentation.
>>
File: 1457135663798.jpg (24 KB, 549x471) Image search: [Google]
1457135663798.jpg
24 KB, 549x471
>boring games that only a certain group of consumers and nostalgiafags will enjoy
>overpriced
>too much focus on the handhelds
>no decent IP priority games
>>
Media propaganda. You'll notice that a lot of the complaints about it aren't 'real' complaints.

Lack of third party games? ALL consoles have this problem these days, not Nintendo's problem. Stupid name? lol, Xbox One. Tablet controller? Perfectly fine example of how a gimmick can be built around a traditional controller.

But we were told, from the get go, that the Wii U was a disaster that most people believed it, despite how the console is easily the best so far this gen.
>>
File: WII U HAS NO GAEMS MEME.png (49 KB, 955x779) Image search: [Google]
WII U HAS NO GAEMS MEME.png
49 KB, 955x779
says who m8? wii u keep going strong
until this 2016 though then it getting replace by nx
>>
File: 1345572141803.jpg (182 KB, 592x726) Image search: [Google]
1345572141803.jpg
182 KB, 592x726
>>332555974
the controller is a tablet. people look at it and think "i already have a tablet, i don't need to spend $400 on another one" or "i want to play on my 50" TV, not stare at my hands" or "that looks too expensive to give to little jimmy, he'll spill juice on it or drop it"

so basically the only people it COULD appeal to are people who don't really look into specs or performance, they just look at the shelf and see what looks good.

and you know what's on the shelf? shitty fucking mcdonalds toys.

this device had every reason to fail, and no reason to move as many units as it did.
>>
No fifa, no cod.

That's the only reason. Casual gamers are THE main purchasers of consoles and they are after the big yearly multiplats and hardware that's marketed as powerful. The Wii U does none of this and simply can't sell.
>>
>>332555974
Nintendo launched a console without advertising it.

Thats literally it.

If they started out strong with hype, all those 3rd party games would have stayed exclusives. Everytime one of them announced it was also coming to other systems, it reflected very poorly on the Wii U's ability to sell.

All the excuses like old hardware is dumb. People will buy systems that aren't as strong at the competition, you can see that with the DS, Wii and 3DS.
>>
>>332562936
Right, but that also means that Wii U software sales are ridiculous considering the install base. Mario Kart 8 has sold 8 million units, for example.

Despite what some people may tell you, no. Wii U is not a failure. Nintendo made several smart business decisions regarding the console, mostly due to their reluctance to needlessly spend money.
>>
>>332562620
>retorts no games meme
>posts list of games that only 4 year olds will enjoy
>>
https://arch.b4k.co/v/search/filename/wii_u_iwata.jpg/
>>
>>332563176
Oh, obviously I know that it's a relative success. I was just comparing the console sales.
>>
stupid controller
>>
I feel like all of Nintendo's issues boil down to poor marketing and not knowing their consumer base.
>>
File: 1457185406820.png (107 KB, 973x357) Image search: [Google]
1457185406820.png
107 KB, 973x357
>>332560797
>>
Nintendo thought the Wii was a total hit.

It wasn't. It was a complete fluke that caught the attention of millions of casuals that got bored of it after a few games.
You can see the point where this happened when global Wii game sales suddenly nosedived over the space of a year.

They all called it the Wii U.
There are literally thousands of people that have written in to newspapers about not being able to play Wii U games on the Wii. I'm not even kidding.
There are probably more of them that have complained at game stores, quite possibly in the millions.

They also backstabbed most of the core Nintendo fans with Wii by pandering to said casuals over its life, so even they have dropped Nintendo pretty much completely.

The ones left, they are the ones that bought a Wii U.
The rest are not watching their Wii gather dust because they are playing fucking Irate Ex-Dinosaurs or whatever the fuck the new hit mobile game is.

The Wii U itself has nothing to do with anything.
It was a damn fine console. Really nicely thought out. (besides some obvious stupid things, like region locking)
It just happened to come after the Wii, which was a complete and total disaster for the company.
But hey, at least it made them a pretty penny.
Hope it was worth it.
>>
>>332555974
It was $100 overpriced and three years too late. If it came out in 2009 in a single $249 sku as is packed with Wii U sports club and Nintendoland and the Wii Sports U and Wii Party U were launch games... Well they could have marketed it as an HD Wii with a touchscreen controller and made bank. Wii and DS sales would offset the losses they took. They made a shitton of money at that time. And they would have sold enough to lower the manufacturing costs and make it profitable before the 3DS came out.

Speaking of 3DS they should have released it at the very least the prior holiday season. And things would have been a little better without the panic mode being as bad.

They could have rode this thing until 2013 and released their own new console competitive with PS4.

They were too late.
>>
>>332556269
You're right, the marketing was poor.
>>
>>332555974
This thread. AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN. Do you fucks have brain damage? This should be a sticky for crying out loud since so many of you can't seem to remember "what went wrong" with the Wii U.

Either that or this is some dank meme that doesn't appeal to me.
>>
Because people didn't know it was a new console. Many people will try to give negligible opinion-based reasons but that's what hurt it the most.
>>
>>332558810
>nintendo made a console exclusively for manchildren

So Nintendo made a console for people who enjoy playing video games?
>>
Honestly? No marketing.

It has lots of games, people just don't know about them. Gaming nowadays is like movies. The big AAA productions with marketing out their asses sell well, regardless of quality.

Look at The Division. Complete pos game but it sold like crazy for 100$ because season passes...
>>
>>332564864
But the Wii was a hit. Why are you trying to deny that? Short term? Yes, but it was a hit nonetheless. Hell, Just Dance was popular around 2010 and that was 4 years after the Wii came out. It was definitely a hit.
>>
>>332555974
I cried again...
>>
>>332563702
Which are irrelevant if you don't sell games.

Pokken is probably going to outsell Street Fighter V, for example.

>>332566527
I don't know why faggots try to pretend that Wii wasn't successful.

Fuck, I think Just Dance games still get released for it and do well. I know Mario Kart Wii sold another million units the year Mario Kart 8 came out.
>>
>>332555974
Cuz it sucks
>>
>>332560558
The worst part is NX will come with another useless expensive control when they could just sell a controller adapter for your mobile or tablet and has the same functionality.
>>
>>332555974

Shit nobody wanted about sums it up.
>>
Alison Rapp

Good thing she's gone now
>>
>>332555974
>what went wrong

Everything.
>>
File: 1459228355116.jpg (30 KB, 500x440) Image search: [Google]
1459228355116.jpg
30 KB, 500x440
>>332568415
>Mfw the cunt is finally gone
>>
>>332555974
Fucking retards need to make sequels to the games everyone loved as kids instead of doing these shitty HD remakes. Look at the success of Smash 4, just do shit like that with something like Pokemon Snap.
>>
Think is, all consoles are useless if you have a decent PC. Nintendo wanted to be original, different than a lesser pc. They did it well. Cheap console, new functionalities.
I guess it failed because nintendo sucks at marketing. They make poor marketing decisions compared to sony and microsoft. Fun fact tho, wiiu sold better than xbox one.
>>
>>332555974
>Why did the Wii U fail so terribly?

Because Nintendo has been irrelevant since the SNES.
>>
>>332555974
The name.
It fucked up the marketing from day one.
Normies either didn't know it existed or thought it was a wii fit like tablet extension.
>>
>poor marketing makes casuals think it's just an add-on, then complain when Wii U games won't work in their Wii
>overpriced
>obsolete hardware and online compared to competitors released at the same time.
>no console-moving launch titles. Smash and Zelda should have been released within three months of the Wii U's launch, in particular
>released the 3DS version of Smash first, meaning no one bought the Wii U version
>NoA woefully out of touch with its market, NoE desperately trying to reach a market that doesn't care
>>
>>332560558
>opinion
>unpopular opinion
>incorrect

Try again
>>
Alison Rap went wrong. I really don't care if she was involved in the localization or not. This is a man's industry. There is nothing more despicable than seeing these women is positions of power and influence in a male-dominated industry with a male-dominated audience.

I am an alpha. I am a bull. I will do anything in my power to put these women in their proper place. I will dig up any dirt I can. I will twist their past remarks out of context to get them in trouble. I will scour social media for any possible dirt. I will threaten them and their familiy members and dox them. They need to be dominated. They need to be put in their proper place. Which is sucking my cock will cooking me dinner. They need to learn that
>>
No games
shit graphics
tone deaf
draconian anti-consumer policies (region lock)
>>
>>332569523
How is the last one incorrect?
The first one is also not incorrect, you can't do what you want with the wii-u tablet, you could argue that the "gimmick" provides something so it's more of a mixture of fact and opinion.
>>
>>332569927
wait scratch that didn't read
>>
>>332569927
n64 didn't have a stupid name. It wasn't named something like The Super Nintendo U

It had a good 3d mario platformer
it had Ocarina of Time
>>
A good launch, and a better name would have done wonders for it. Mario Maker and Splatoon should have been launch titles.
>>
The games went wrong.

Making Gamecube games means you can expect Gamecube sales.
>>
>>332571161
Too bad they spent all their money, time and manpower designing that tablet. They could've had better launch titles.
>>
>>332555974
>Too expensive for what to the average consumer is just an xbox 360 with a tablet
>no third party
>no big name exclusives for launch
>exclusives, while good have 0 appeal to the common gaming masses, which like it or not, is the CoD/Minecraft audience
>little to no marketing
>that fucking retarded name
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.