[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Searching for some good games to play, I finally decided to choose
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6
Searching for some good games to play, I finally decided to choose between Morrowind and KOTOR. Which one is better?
>>
>>332535396
KOTOR 2, assuming you actually played both before and you just wanna replay a good game.

If not, then go with KOTOR.
>>
>>332535396
sci fi adventure or fantasy adventure. theyre both great. get off the no-fun-allowed board before its too late
>>
>>332535396
>Morrowind
>KOTOR
>good
kek.
Go play Witcher 3, it is the best fantasy rpg to date.
>>
Knights of the Old Republic is defined almost entirely by its plot twist, while Morrowind is defined almost entirely by its atmosphere. So I think the latter is the better long-term game, because plot twists are disposable.
>>
>>332535396
>Which one is better?
It depends on if you prefer apples or oranges.
>>
File: 1459174325088.jpg (1013 KB, 3790x1072) Image search: [Google]
1459174325088.jpg
1013 KB, 3790x1072
>>332535909
(You)
>>
>>332535716
I think you have those genres backwards.
>>
>>332535396
Oblivion
>>
>>332536259
At least the mirror is working.
>>
File: 1456597685116.png (309 KB, 480x800) Image search: [Google]
1456597685116.png
309 KB, 480x800
>>332535670
>assuming you actually played both before
>>
File: swkotor_2015_11_22_00_21_47_092.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
swkotor_2015_11_22_00_21_47_092.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>332535396
KOTOR then play 2
>>
>>332537012
>tfw high res UI and modern OS update for KotOR1 never ever
>even tho KotOR2 got one
RIP
>>
>>332535909
I'm afraid my PC can't handle it.
>>
>>332536591
>>
>>332535396
KoTOR is definitely what you want.

Fantastic story. Fantastic gameplay. Fantastic music. Fantastic quests.

I would recommend the following mods:

Jedi From the Start, Dantooine Training, KotOR 1 Restoration, kse cutscene fixed, and then whatever graphical mods you want. I used HQ Skyboxes, Weapon Model Overhall, and Hi-Res Beam Effects.

Modding isn't that difficult and http://www.nexusmods.com/kotor/? has some pretty good walkthroughs. Just don't go poking around too much because you might bump into a spoiler or two.
>>
Both have aged like shit to be perfectly honest. KOTOR is arguably one of BioWare's worst games. Morrowind is Bethesda's one hit wonder and still sucked ass when it was released.

Play something else.
>>
>>332536350
are you going to tell me star wars isnt sci fi and morrowind isnt fantasy? are you going to then also tell me that star wars is fantasy and morrowind is sci fi? if so, let me just stop you and tell you youre trying too hard - and no, i dont want to read your poorly written thesis paper on it you autist.
>>
>crossboarding shit tries to le trolle /v/
>>
>>332537758
KOTOR 1 got an IOS port
>>
>>332540165
>Jedi From the Start
CASUAL
You literally miss out on feats if you do that. Don't be a retard.
Nobody should install that shitty fucking mod.
>>
>>332535396
You are Revan and you defeat you traitor apprentice Malak.
There I saved you 40 hours of KotOR.

You are the reincarnation of Indoril Nerevar, foretold in the Nerevarine Prophecy and you stop the evil mage Dagoth Ur.
There I saved you 100 hours of Morrowind.
>>
>>332540764
>iOS
Anon please stop being retarded and fuck off, nobody cares about unmoddable iOS tablet garbage.
>>
>>332541027
It's better than wasting half a dozen levels on a useless class.

I've played the game probably 10 times all the way through. My last time I decided to start as a Jedi and it was so much more enjoyable.

If the mod glitches and you are missing feats you are supposed to have, you can always use the KotOR/KotOR2 Savegame Editor to fix things.
>>
>>332535396
you're revan
>>
>>332541609
Anon you are retarded.
You literally don't "waste" anything by playing normally.
You get double the amount of Feats when playing as non-Jedi to offset your lack of Force Powers.
Once you become a Jedi you only gain half as much feats due to rest going into Force Powers.
Going full Jedi from get go is literally a nerf for Guardian and literally horribly broken overpowered for Consular.
>>
https://www.google.com/search?q=mgso+screenshots
>>
>>332535396
i don't know, i don't actually play video games. I just browse
>>
File: IMG_20160325_001621.jpg (125 KB, 1024x988) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160325_001621.jpg
125 KB, 1024x988
>>332535396
Edgy
>>
>>332540514
(You)
>>
>>332541814
My last build was a Sentinel, so I didn't really benefit or lose anything, except for being able to play the class I prefer.

I wasn't doing it to min-max, anyway. If I was so concerned about feats, I could have cheated more in. I was just in it to have fun and to play the game in a way I hadn't before.
>>
>>332541510
>implying anyone gives a shit about Morrowind's "story".
>>
>>332535396
Morrowind will take you a long time if you want the full experience, If you decide to go with Kotor than you need to play Kotor 2 as well
>>
KOTOR is a dumbed down mix of BG and NWN for console kiddies and basically baby's first RPG with god awful role-playing system, combat and banal as fuck story and characters (except jedi nigga, which is absolutely based). One of the most overrated turds of all time. And yeah, I bought it day one for Xbawks. The Sith Lords is still a bad game in terms of gameplay, but at least the writing is above average.

Morrowind is somewhat strange sequel to a Daggerfall, which would be a miles better game if it actually borrowed stuff from Ultima VII/Gothic, but as it is it's pretty interesting experience if you're enjoying hicking and huge amounts of lore.
>>
>>332542057
Being a Jedi before Dantooine is lore breaking, balance breaing and immersion breaking.
You literally had fun by breaking the game and essentially cheating.
Just because you enjoyed that doesn't mean you should ever fucking even consider suggesting this to people WHO NEVER FUCKING PLAYED THE GAME BEFORE.
>>
I will never understand why people like Morrowind.
It came out around the same time as Neverwinter Nights and Icewind Dale 2 and was inferior to both of those in gameplay and the storytelling while unique wasn't gripping at all.
It also paled in comparison to Gothic in terms of open world gameplay. Morrowind for fucks sake even has loading screens out the ass every time you even want to enter any random house while Gothic has fucking none outside of the story mine shaft thing.
>>
>>332542482
Eh, you're probably right. Not the best suggestion.
>>
>>332542471
This guy has the right idea. Combat in Kotor is really fucking mediocre. If it weren't the fact that you're playing as a jedi, nobody would touch it. Besides, the quests are banale as all hell. At least 2 is worth it for the story/writing/characters, 1 on the other hand- don't bother.
>>
>>332542675
NWN and IWD II both had terrible stories, although IWD II had somewhat mediocore writing. Morrowind has and interesting world and that's its strongest parts. NWN is okay for modules. Still an abomination as vanilla.
>It also paled in comparison to Gothic in terms of open world gameplay.
Too bad, that world in Gothic is complete shit. And don't get mad, I honestly believe that both games are equally alright.
>>332542897
It's even worse than in Infinity Engine games. It's almost like you're playing some JRPG or Disciples, where you don't even need to carefully position you characters.
>>
>>332542675
>implying the Gothic wasn't hard as all balls in addition to having the worst menus imaginable and controls that would test the patience of christ, not to mention a lot worse scenario/design

Get fucking real. Both games were great but they both had serious issues. NWN and ID2 aren't even in the same category.
>>
>>332543205
>where you don't even need to carefully position you characters.
This is one of the worst offenses I can think of. What kind of game, especially in full 3d, barely considers movement and positioning as factors in its combat model?
>>
>>332540559
>He doesn't know that TES games are post-apocalyptic
Get a load of this lore ignoramus.
>>
>>332543751
Game with an actual good combat, no? And I'm not even turn-based purist. Just look at Freedom Force, you can make RTwP combat enjoyable and not pure crap like in KOTOR.
>>
File: 43596-3-1430353636.jpg (296 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
43596-3-1430353636.jpg
296 KB, 1680x1050
>>332542675
it was the hand placed loot

both oblivion and skyrim couldn't compare. they were full of empty desks and shelves.
>>
>>332535396
Morrowind isn't that great even if I do have very fond memories. Lots of NPCs share the same recycled dialogue and the world is very static. That said, I've never played KOTOR.
>>
>>332542105
Easy chief don't cut yourself
>>
>>332542675
I agree both NWN and Gothic are much better games to go back to. Gothic has better atmosphere, quests, combat, and world design while NWN is a toolset for and DnD campaign you can think of.
>>
Star Wars is for neckbeards and retards. Go for morrowind.
>>
>>332535396
You can play KOTOR.

Morrowind however...
>>
>>332544784
>Gothic has better atmosphere
Yeah, because Morrowind has none. And since when atmosphere became objective thing?
>quests
Poorly written, but better designed, I can give you that.
>combat
True, but it's still crap.
>world design
No, just no.
>NWN is a toolset for and DnD campaign you can think of
Yeah, it's a toolset... and fucking shit as a base game.

I was the one who bought NWN day one. Boy, after BG it's was a crushing disappointment.
>>
>>332535396
both are god-tier games, but I'd say KOTOR since that actually has a beginning and an end, and is easy to follow. Morrowind is really open world and its really easy to lose track of the main quest, and go and just get lost in the game.

>>332535670
when did /v/ liking this incomplete half-finished rushed product become a meme? Is it just because its obsidian and its cool to hate bioware and bethesda now?
>>
>>332543976
And hand crafted world and dungeons.
There is no copypasting in Gothic at all compared to Morrowind.
>>
>>332535396

Overall I would say Morrowind without a doubt, but your enjoyment of either game will vary greatly depending on your taste. To be honest, though, Kotor 1 should only be played to further your enjoyment of Kotor 2. In my opinion it's good for nothing else, and removing a sense of mystery about the previous game's party and protagonist might actually have the opposite effect.
>>
>>332536259
You do know that Witcher 3 is maximum Oldschool WCRPG that is possible to pull as a high profile AAA game in this day and age,
im so uptight when it comes to games(now im replaying Ps:T for 30th time, besides Hard West,Divinity Original Sin EE,The Age of Decadence,I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream,UnderRail,Geneforge).
I consider Ps:T to be the best game ever made, by far, and my top 5 are
Ps:T, Arcanum (our Saviour and salvation),Fallout2(yes,2, you dumb fuck),Morrowind,VtM:B.

I have those games on various hard drives since release(im an ooold fucker, too old to be here) and Witcher trilogy is the best thing that happened to PC and WRPGs in last ~20 years(ok, maybe Fallout New Vegas was a small spark in endless darkness but thats it).

Anyway, point is, dont use Witcher to compare shitty present games with golden oldies.
Witcher 1 most people cant finish because they are too stupid and are unable to think or have a little patience,deductic skill or will to read(they blame game, of course).

CDPR just cashed out with Witcher 3(rightly so , all things considered), you will probably suck cock to CDPR this year for Blood & Wine and you will call CDPR saviour of gaming in 2018 when they are gonna probably release CyberPunk 2077
>>
>>332543976
I do love Morrowind, but they did have portal room they could enter any time they wanted where there were various combinations of loot ,
>>
>>332545385
Go back to Codex, faggot.

PS:T best game, my ass. And I do like Torment, but ffs in terms of writing Pathologic and MotB are miles better. And VtM:B, which is a fucking abomination. It's shit on almost every level except for soundtrack. Seriously, people who praise writing in this turd, are probably Buffy's fans. Arcanum is alright, though. Role-playing system and combat are still complete joke.

And there's nothing oldschool about Twitchers, they're all pretty much newschool post-NWN mediocore games. They're better than BioWare/Bethesda's turd, but that's about it.

New Vegas is crap, too. Just because it's better than 3, doesn't make it a good game. Muh role-playing with banal as fuck binary choices and retarded skill checks.

You taste is horrendous.
>>
>>332545385
>Hard West,Divinity Original Sin EE,The Age of Decadence,I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream,UnderRail,Geneforge
Look, mom, I'm a hardcore gamer!
>>
>>332545030
Gothic's world design was much better than Morrowind. EVERYTHING in Gothic is handplaced. Morrowind might have some cool bits in the lore but you never get to see much of it. Also NWN IS the toolkit. The OC being mediocre doesn't make everything else bad.
>>
>>332546151
>EVERYTHING in Gothic is handplaced
So what? It doesn't make level design in Gothic something special. To be honest it's not much better than in Ultima IX, which is basically a bad proto-Gothic.
>Also NWN IS the toolkit. The OC being mediocre doesn't make everything else bad.
Pretty sure it wasn't advertised as a toolkit, mate.

Seriously, both games are meh in terms of gameplay just like 95% of WRPGs, but you still want to prove that Gothic is somewhat underrated masterpiece. Well, it's not.
>>
>>332545892
Holy shit, way to come off as a tryhard 15 year-old making someone else's points.

Regardless, you both have shit tastes.
>Witcher 3 best thing since sliced bread
kek
>VtM:B abomination
dopplekek

Holy shit, no wonder the bad guys won.
>>
>>332535396
It depends on what you're going for

If you want something more linear and focused, KOTOR

If you have a lot of time on your hands and want to get immersed in a world, Morrowind
>>
>>332546726
I'm 26 and I've been playing RPGs since mid 90's.
>dopplekek
So, what's good about this game? Mitsoda's writing? The story that goes full retarded in the second half? Role-playing system with tons of pointless skills? Combat, which is atrocious mixed with god awful level design of "dungeons"? Completely static and small world/hub? Cosmetic c&c and muh role-playing? That linear as fuck roller-coaster hotel level? And I don't even mention bugs and typical Troika's stuff.

The only good things about this game are setting and art-direction (muh atmosphere), that's about it.

I'm not even try to be a cynical here, because I actually enjoyed Arcanum with it numerous flaws, but VtMB:B is just a trash.
>>
Gonna ask this here, got no place else
Arcanum runs like shit on my PC for some reason. The game just lags and lags, alt-tabbing corrupts the game, moving the camera around the map fucks with the visuals, etc. My real concern is the lag though. I'm getting insanely bad performance for a fucking old CRPG
How do I fix this shit?
>>
>>332547174
>Mitsoda's writing?
Yes. Perfect blend of cheese (which is necessary considering the subject) without becoming overwhelmingly gay and just embarrassing (see Twilight).

>story that goes full retarded
Explain.

>pointless skills
Patently false. Also, point out which ones are the useless skills and I'll point out a ton of RPGs that have useless skills (basically all of them).

>Combat, which is atrocious
Opinions. I enjoyed it. And it's almost completely avoidable. As it stands it's exactly what it's supposed to be: a powertrip when you're facing humans and a small learning curve and test of wit and skills (player's and character's) when facing hunters/other vampires/supernatural creatures.

>"dungeons"
>in modern day LA
If you want to say you didn't like the fucking sewer level, say it. Don't pretend VtMB is something like Skyrim which is essentially built around dungeons.

>Completely static and small
Static is false. Even the tv and the radio make mention of your doings. As for being small, yeah it is. As opposed to what, Morrowind which is static AND huge? What are you expecting a game from 2016 in 2004?

To add:
>the best leveling system in an RPG
>varied quests, most with several ways to finish
>9 (!) different races to suit a wide range of playing styles AND access to areas/quests

Yeah it was unfinished. Yeah it has bugs. Yeah it has a shitty endgame. But it's still the best 3D RPG by a very long margin.
>>
>>332535396
Better at what? Displaying graphics which are pleasant to you? Being easy to play? Having a compelling history? If you're going to ask such unspecific nigger questions you'd better brace for nigger answers.
>>
>>332545892
Nah, Torment is better, you probably dont even know how much shit you didnt even suspect there is in that game, let alno saw.

>>332546043
I just named those games to make a point, i dont consider myself a HC gamer(wtf is that, anyway, for me, hc gamer is a retard who ruined his life and health in WOW or Diablo3)
Im old enough to know what I like and no amount of marketing or shilling or hype trains will change my mind. I have matured taste(not mature,matured....), if I like the game I will play it no matter what general consensus is/was/will be.

If there is gonna be interesting COD, AssCreed,GTA,Battlefield,Fifa,NFL,Sims, Dance Dance XXL 9999 and Im havina fun, im gonna playa it, no matter what is "in" this week.

I enjoy playing old wrpgs, i like Witchers, KOTOR was OK, but honestly, Bioware was fucked the moment he went 3d(Neverwinter Nighst1,2 and so on) and console friendly.
NwN is shitty game, 1,2, MotB, any...

Ugly 3d models, portrait face is important in RPG, its a fucking representation of yourself or your companions, and when you saw those horenduos 3d faces, than retarded camera, then UI that really doesnt have any sense ....
All those things are integral part of the game, if I have to fight with angle of the camera instead 20 Orks that attack me, the game is shit.
>>
>>332549047
>which is necessary considering the subject
Stop, shit writing is shit writing.
>Explain.
LaCroix's plan is completely retarded just like the whole conflict and the whole ending is underwhelming as hell.
>Also, point out which ones are the useless skills and I'll point out a ton of RPGs that have useless skills (basically all of them).
All of them, ture, but it doesn't make Bloodlines good. Fuck, I can't even think about builds in this turd, because your race already dictates the build.
>Opinions.
It's not. It's a poorly made hack'n'slash with even worse shooting part.
>If you want to say you didn't like the fucking sewer level, say it.
Last time I checked there were more combat areas with equally shitty design.
>Even the tv and the radio make mention of your doings.
I was talking about overall interactivity, NPC, routines, etc.
>the best leveling system in an RPG
Agreed.
>varied quests, most with several ways to finish
>9 (!) different races to suit a wide range of playing styles AND access to areas/quests
And that's why I hate this game, because of all wasted potential. Who the fuck cares about all this cosmetic shit, when the actual gameplay is so fucking bad?
>>332549901
Torment's writing is pale in comparison to Pathologic. The whole main idea is pretty banal desu. I don't think, that games are art and shit, but Pathologic is definitely more mature game than Torment.
>I enjoy playing old wrpgs
And you haven't named a single one.
>>
>>332550301
I did , in my first post, then I realise this is huge waste of time...
>>332545385
my top5
>>
>>332550639
I already told that this games maybe old, but they're all newschool post-Fallout 1 games.
>>
>>332550784
what, you want me to list Ultima, Perihelyon,Eye of Beholder,Hobbit, Pools of Radiance, I played on my 386, Amiga 500 and C64..? Who the fuck would even know what am I talking about...
>>
>>332551314
Well, PoR is somewhat decent. Other games...

Perihelyon is the worst case of style over substance.
>>
>>332535396
Play KOTOR first. I say this because it's a more "complete-able" game, as in, there's a finite amount of shit to do in it, and after a certain point you're actually satisfied having depleted the areas of content and move on. It's a finite game.

Morrowind, like all TES games, can be played until you die of old age having never seen anything resembling a conclusion. It's pretty much just a cool sandbox with lore and quests, and it's 100% your responsibility to move the narrative forward. You can sell your key quest item thirty seconds out the door in Seyda Neen and be unable to even talk to that fucker in Balmora unless you buy it back. Nothing exists without your initiative.

Both kick ass though, I'm saying just do KOTOR first because you may pick up Morrowind and spend 300+ hours doing fuck all. Which is fine, of course, but KOTOR is really fucking good and doesn't take all that long to complete IIRC. I mean, it's a good, meaty game, but it has limits. Morrowind really doesn't.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.