[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did Smash Bros become so casual following Melee? Wasn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: sakurai.jpg (180 KB, 1336x769) Image search: [Google]
sakurai.jpg
180 KB, 1336x769
Why did Smash Bros become so casual following Melee?

Wasn't Sakurai the driving force behind all of them?
>>
People don't really care about how good or deep a game is if the trim is all there.

See: Bioshock Infinite
>>
>>332500298
What are the blue and red circles suppose to mean?

Sakurai always intended this series to be a party game (and I'm for competitive play and even Sakurai should be for that more in the future) and Smash 4 did a better job of that compared to Brawl with actual balance patches and stuff like random tripping being gone.
>>
The majority of people don't give a shit because it is a party brawler. Only autistic faggots exploit a party game to try and make it "competitive".
>>
>>332500298
this >>332500460

Sakurai is a talented game designer but he makes some dumb decisions, like specifically aiming at casuals even though the first two games had broad appeal, just because that's his original vision.
>>
>>332500527
Street Fighter wasn't originally meant to be a tournament game either, but people liked that II accidentally introduced combos and Capcom embraced that utility of the game series.
>>
>>332500527
>>332500595
Also Chess is another competitive game that wasn't originally made for tournament play. Hell even soccer was originally just kicking around a ball to a goal.
>>
>>332500460
Blue means pre-SSB4, red means SSB4.
There's a common theme between all of them, though.
>>
>>332500298
Melee was never intended to be competitive.
>>
>>332500527
>exploit a game
Except Sakurai intentionally put in mechanics like L-canceling.

A game with depth can be fun at multiple levels. You know, like Melee?
>>
>>332500678
Is it that they all have a counter?

Also Lucina being red is questionable since her moveset is an actual factual clone of a pre-SSB4 character.
>>
>>332500738
>Except Sakurai intentionally put in mechanics like L-canceling.

Yet he was so disgusted with what you fags did to his game he purposely cucks you until the day he retires.
>>
>>332500734
It wasn't meant to be competitive, but unlike Brawl it wasn't intentionally watered down for casuals either.
>>
>>332500796
Yeah, it's all counters.
And it doesn't matter whether she's a clone. She still took up development time and is yet another character with a counter.

>>332500734
But it ended up being accessible to both normal players and competitive players.
>>
>>332501050
Not him but while I understand the concern, and all generally acknowledge that Brawl was more "casual," compared to Melee, Smash 4 at the very least showed he does want to improve at catering towards the competitive side more in comparison to that game. It's not perfect, but it's a clear improvement over the previous installment, and something they can keep working on for future installments.
>>
>>332501182
Yeah. but I don't know what they were thinking with that not-good ground movement. My only guess is it has to do with allowing the turning attack thing, but there has to be a more elegant way to do that.
>>
>>332500372
Well that's the problem with Smash 4 innit

The trim isn't all there

Smash Tour sucks farts
Classic mode is gutted
Target Test is gutted
Events suck

I could probably excuse the main mode lacking if the singleplayer content made up for it. But it don't.
>>
>>332500298
The fact of the matter is that without air dodging, Melee wouldn't be as praised as it is today about how competitive and high skill ceiling it is.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.