[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What if Dark Souls never went to PC? Will the series achieve
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: 1458994107978.png (159 KB, 289x289) Image search: [Google]
1458994107978.png
159 KB, 289x289
What if Dark Souls never went to PC? Will the series achieve the same level of success as it is now? Were the console sales alone enough to fund DaS2 and eventually fun Bloodborne and DaS3?
>>
Console sales were enough to fund the Armored Core games, a far more niche series with way more games than the souls series.

Dark Souls went to PC because Demons Souls was successful.
>>
oh boy another thread where /v/ gets to show just how horrifically it overestimates the PC gaming population outside of f2p/mmo
>>
>>332481858
>Will the series achieve the same level of success as it is now?

Common sense would tell you that multiplats generally make more money than exclusives, so obviously not.
>>
>>332483443
Common sense tells you that Dark Souls was already a multiplat before it was on PC you retard
>>
File: dkiii.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
dkiii.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1200
>>332481858
Glad to see I'm not the only one who sees this.
>>
>>332481858
I enjoy this image
>>
it obviously would not have the same level of success

http://www.ign com/articles/2015/07/01/dark-souls-franchise-sales-pass-8-million-mark

the pc version of das1 makes up a very significant portion of that game's sales at this point. the series has a large market on pc. even with das2's negative word of mouth das2 sold about half its copies on pc over 360 or ps3. i know you secretly want to keep pcfats from all of the fun you had with demon's souls and keep the series a 'pure' console experience but the pc userbase is too significant a profit source to ignore for from soft.
>>
>>332483753
>same level of success
>sales

I don't think you know what success is mr. businessman.

Around here we enjoy PLAYING games, not analyze their market. If you think that Steel Battalion or God Hand wasn't successful, you are a retard.
>>
>>332483935
don't worry, i totally agree with you that sales don't mean shit about quality of a series, just its sellability to a large population.

i just thought that sales was what this thread was about, given how op talks about them. i enjoy steel battalion and god hand as much as the next guy who has played many video games.
>>
>>332483935
God Hand received generally negative reviews all around though. If that meets your qualifications for success, then you are a retard.
>>
>>332484120
Yeah. Hopefully it got through to OP though. I don't like hearing people constantly measure success with how much money it made. Though to be sure, I do like seeing a series I like make the devs lots of money.

>>332484157
>I am an imbecile please rape my face

Reviews by people who don't matter. I can ask fucking children off the street their random opinions too, and yet you don't see me publishing their opinions as expertise.
>>
>>332484559
I hate to disappoint you, anon, but God Hand was in fact a commercial failure. You liking the game doesn't change that fact.
>>
Never.
>>
>>332481858
It would be less popular, but would have a much better fanbase
>>
>>332481858
Based on Bloodborne's sales, a game on one console, yes. Now the real question is would Bloodborne have achieved the same level of success is Dark Souls had never come to PC.
>>
File: 1397702902813.png (120 KB, 285x303) Image search: [Google]
1397702902813.png
120 KB, 285x303
People who don't want all games on all comparable systems are at best extremely petty, and at worst psychopaths. Literally the only reason that you would want a game to remain exclusive to your platform is to either justify the fact that you purchased a console and exclusives are literally all a console is worth, or that you actively enjoy people not getting to play the same games you do. Either way you're a total prick.
>>
>>332485771
Bloodborne sales are nothing compared to the top sellers on the PS4.
Dark Souls 1 alone sold nearly 6 million units on all platforms, that's nearly 3 times as much as Bloodborne.
Dark Souls series has surpassed 8 million units across all platforms.
>>
What if you check this five (5)?
>>
>>332481858
>What if Dark Souls never went to PC? Will the series achieve the same level of success as it is now?
Yes
DaS was very popular without PC release
>>
>>332486105
I'm okay with the fact that Bloodborne is exclusive because From was obviously treated way better by Sony than Bandai Namco. Bloodborne was the first completed Souls game on release; they had the budget and time to actually put out the game they wanted. Plus the release was actually handled properly, unlike the absolute unbelievable clusterfuck that is the DSIII release.

You're making it a bit too one dimensional, anon. Still, I hope you got to play the game and aren't just mad because it's on a system you don't own. I agree it sucks that some people can't play it.
>>
Definitely. Consoles alone are enough to fund pretty much every series on their own. It's no coincindence CD project went sucking consoles cock for their latest game. Though for Souls the series wouldn't be so popular with the mainstream and known as "literally the hardest game ever" if it wasn't for PC. So it would have remained as this "hardcore" niche RPG, PC is what made it so sucessful.
>>
>>332486105
Case in point, I've been an Xboner since about December of 2014, although I am an idort. I really don't give a fuck that exclusives (KI, Quantum Break, etc.) are going to PC. They're all good games, and I really hope more people play it. Hell, in the case of KI, -I- benefit because there's a larger playerbase.
>>
>>332483272
Dark Souls went multiplat because Sony didn't see the potential in Demon's Souls and refused to market it. Same thing happened with Resistence 3 and why Insomniac developed a game for the Xbox One.
>>
>>332483560

So obviously releasing it on more platforms would make it even more money.
>>
>>332486105
Not wanting a game to be designed for certain systems is a legitimate complaint when it actively harms or limits the game. For instance, imagine if the next Arma game was designed be motion control or handheld friendly. It would be awful and ruin the game. That was an extreme example and consoles and PCs are getting closer together, but there are situations where certain controller or hardware that makes a game possible is only on one system still exist.
>>
>>332481858
>What if Dark Souls never went to PC?
it'd be dead

seriously. no one gave a shit about Dark Souls a year after console release. If Dark Souls II stayed console exclusive nobody would care about this franchise at all
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.