[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I play it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4
Should I play it?
>>
>>332428630
Nah.
>>
>>332428630
It's better than Trigger, but not worth playing if you haven't played Trigger.

Use Kid and Fargo to steal from bosses.
>>
>>332428630
Yah.
>>
>>332428821
Calling it better than Trigger is... a tough call. They're both great and very different. Cross gets a lot of (undeserved) shit just because it isn't enough like Trigger. I bought Cross expecting a sequel and got an awesome game that felt only tangentially related
>>
>>332428630
It's a decent JRPG with god-tier music. It would've been a lot better if the plot wasn't so damn confusing.
>>
>in before people getting triggered
>>
>>332428821
>It's better than Trigger
>>
Cross is garbage.

And not just compared to Trigger.
>>
>>332428630
Did you like Chrono Trigger?

Do you like JRPGs with god-tier atmosphere but mediocre gameplay?

If you answered "yes" to both questions, this is the game for you.
>>
>>332428821
I've played it on the snes and I know in the ps1 and ds versions off trigger there's things that connect the two games but I don't know what they are.

Is that stuff important to cross at all?
>>
File: best girl.jpg (1021 KB, 733x1000) Image search: [Google]
best girl.jpg
1021 KB, 733x1000
Why is she so perfect?
>>
>>332429857
Playing through the SNES version is perfectly fine. The (very few) extra stuff they added in to the PS1 and DS versions work if you look them up after playing Cross.
>>
>>332429857
No. That guy is just a retard. CR and CC are far enough removed that CC is just as enjoyable with or without having played Trigger first.
>>
>>332430191
She's "french" and annoying as fuck. I don't see how she can even be considered good.

On a semi-related note, why the fuck does half of all characters in Cross have annoying accents? Who the fuck okayed that shit?
>>
File: cute waifu.jpg (72 KB, 271x321) Image search: [Google]
cute waifu.jpg
72 KB, 271x321
>>332430574
>and annoying as fuck
Why? Just because of the accent? It's not even in the original version m8

>Who the fuck okayed that shit?
Some faggot in the localization team
>>
>>332430191
>clown
>perfect
>>
>>332431351
>unironically being afraid of clowns
They're just humans with make-up and funny outfits, grow up
>>
>>332428630
Did you play Trigger? If yes: forget everything about it. For get the story. Forget the characters. Forget the battle system. Forget the pacing. Forget the artstyle. Forget eeeeveeerrrything.
And then perhaps, you will enjoy this ambitious, yet still mediocre JRPG.
>>
>>332428630
The game has a good combat system and neat characters

Everything else about the game is sub par
>>
>>332430574
If I remember correctly, they actually boasted about having some system that automatically gives characters their accents and other verbal ticks. It was a point of pride for them.
>>
>>332430974
Pretty sure the characters had different dialects in the Japanese version. It may not have been as extreme but the English version didn't come out of nowhere.
>>
The story is text dump after text dump of mystic babble followed by a deus ex Machina and even more mystic babble.

The gameplay systems and graphics are fine and very well done (though I for one really didn't like all of the superfluous party characters) but the unengaging plot completely killed the game for me.
>>
>>332434040
I think Kid spoke with a Kansai dialect or some shit.

But in the localization, they gave them foreign accents making them even more insufferable

In any case, Richard Honeywood is a faggot and I hate him
>>
>>332434647
I like Richard Honeywood anon, he gave us all the puns and wordplay in modern Dragon Quest and is literally the only reason we got Xenogears at all.
>>
>>332428630
Overall, I actually like Cross more than Trigger.
It's like OOT vs MM for me. OOT and Trigger are more "epic" adventures, but MM and Cross are much more personal and when you tap into that, it makes for a more enjoyable experience (for me anyway).
Cross' main negative reception stemmed from people expecting a direct Trigger sequel. If you go in with that mindset you will be disappointed. Just enjoy it for itself and you won't regret it.
>>
>>332428821
It is in no way better than Trigger, and it might actually be far more enjoyable if you didn't play Trigger.

It would be an okay RPG on its own, but it is a shit sequel that does nothing but a huge disservice to the franchise. You know you fucked up when a Choose Your Adventure game is a better addition to the franchise than a full-fledged game.
>>
>>332434248
This is pretty much right on with my opinion.
>>
>>332428630
Like some anons said, don't expect a CT sequel, there are some references but Cross is it's own thing. It's a good game and the OST is great.
>>
>>332435391

Wow, someone who has a brain in their hood. Listen to this person OP.
>>
So what's the best party to use in the game? I played a couple hours a long time ago and I noticed there's a fuck ton of characters and I'm sure I missed some.

I mean best party as in who gets the most story development?
>>
>>332428630
Nah just download the soundtrack
>>
>>332428630
It's a mechanically solid JRPG with great presentation and music but awful characters and a mess of a storyline.
If you're a fan of Squaresoft games as a whole you'll enjoy it enough but if you're just a fan of Trigger and want more games like it then you're probably better off playing something else.
>>
Good music, good graphics.

Shit plot, bloated shit cast, shitty rock/paper/scissors combat system that offered no real challenge but plenty of tediousness, buggy.

Style over substance.
>>
>>332438165
>I mean best party as in who gets the most story development?
Serge and Kid are really the only two characters who are important the whole way through. Harle's good too but you lose her halfway through.

The third character is kind of up to you. Glenn has a relevant subplot through most of the game and ties into the Dragoon stuff, on top of being the best character gameplay-wise after Serge, while Nikki is the main character of the demi-human subplot.
Karsh, Viper, Fargo, Riddel, Norris and Radius get their moments too. Everyone else is totally throwaway.
>>
>>332428630
It's a great game on it's own, disregard the motivation for it's existence. It doesn't hold your hand at all though after the first 30 minutes, so if you forget where you were supposed to go next, you aren't likely to find clues to it anywhere.
>>
>>332429496
ayy lmao
Starfy for goat party member
>>
>>332440034
What about leena? My friend showed me you could get her, I figured she'd be important but I don't know.
>>
>>332440376
Meant for>>332439870
>>
>>332440376
The Otherworld Leena you recruit somehow gets less development than the Homeworld Leena.
Using her felt more like a novelty than anything.
>>
>>332440553
That's shitty. Guess I'll just stick with kid and whoever else.
>>
Cross spat on Trigger so hard.

If Cross came out present day for the first time, not a single soul would like it.
>>
It's a mediocre game with god tier art and music. This is why most people think CC is better than it actually is.
>>
>>332440678
Its also worth noting that some of those characters like Nikki and Glenn are recruited at points where the game's story branches into multiple paths and lets you decide how you want to continue. If you're looking to use specific characters you should probably use a guide to figure out which ones are locked to which part of the story.

I don't really get why major characters are totally optional but then you're forced to recruit guys like Sprigg who do literally nothing.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.