[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
who would have thought back in 2009 that a niche japanese game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 5
File: ps3-demon-s-souls-1235920651-18.jpg (338 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ps3-demon-s-souls-1235920651-18.jpg
338 KB, 1280x720
who would have thought back in 2009 that a niche japanese game would be so influential today?
>>
I bought a PS3 specifically for DeS due to /v/'s word of mouth shilling
>>
my brothers knew
>>
>>332414014
I wasn't expecting it, but I was sure hoping it. Hell, they had me since the days of king's field and armored core.
>>
>>332414140
Yup. No regrets.
>>
How is it influential outside of the games by the same company?
>>
>>332414282
No they didn't.
>>
>>332414356
TW2 combat was inspired by DeS and Shadow of the Fallen can be considered Souls clone.
>>
File: 1457907227440.gif (2 MB, 366x360) Image search: [Google]
1457907227440.gif
2 MB, 366x360
>>332414356
"souls-like" is now a semi official genre
>>
>>332414356
AC unity copied the roll dodge
also it has the same parry animation of curved weapons in ds2
>>
No it isn't the game merely spawned a ripoff and thats it.
>>
>>332414571
So Skyirm is souls-like too? Cause it seems people consider it so http://store.steampowered.com/curator/11526504-Games-Like-Dark-Souls/
>>
>>332414014
Oh hey it's that game that took inspiration from Onimusha in its combat
>>
>>332414571
>souls-like
I want to die already.
>>
>>332414356

it really isn't influential outside of 4chin. what OP really means is "who would have thought back in 2009 that a niche japanese game would spawn so many /v/ threads"
>>
They sold like 5 million copies of DaS. That's not impressive for AAA games but for niche Japanese games, it was a huge hit. The Japanese industry requires less to maintain. DaS's profits meant the game made its budget back times ten.
>>
>>332414571
>>332416789
Yup.

>Lords of the Fallen
>Salt and Sanctuary

and soon to be Nioh, Nioh absolutely looks like it's a fucking Dark Souls clone.

There are probably even more I don't know about.

I don't like it. FROM knows it's getting tired and they're stopping.
>>
>>332414014
> influential
In your dreams cockmongler
>>
>>332417489
Nioh is more Onimusha than anything.
>>
>>332417584
>Nioh is more Onimusha than anything.

Nope.

Watch some gameplay.

It is literally Dark Souls in glorious Nippon. Outside of a handful of stuff unique to it (like Sword Stances) it is absolutely Dark Souls 100%.
>>
>2009 was 7 years ago
>>
>>332417801
>2007 was 9 years ago
>>
>>332417489
This reminds me, when people talk about the idea of a new medievil or Lok game they always say "hey, it would be awesome if it would have souls combat right?"
What do they mean with combat like in the souls games? the awkward rolling with iframes? circle strafing and backstab to win? mash one botton to attack until things are dead? What's so deep and awesome about the souls games combat?
>>
>>332418120
>1999 was 777 years ago
>>
>>332417801
>>332418120
S T O P
>>
Never played a souls game before.
Is Dark Souls 1 Prepare to Die edition a good start?
>>
I remember hearing about this game at launch in japan and wondered why the fuck it not coming to the rest of the world
>>
You know despite all the shit that Bamco did, you gotta hand it to them for their way of marketing soul series.
Sure Demon's souls started it first but Atlus and SCE didn't make too much effort in making them big.
>>
>>332418397
Oh yeah sure, but holy moly you better prepare to die a wholee lot, looool this gamez sooo hard. only for hardcore gamerz such as myself rite guys?
>>
>>332418148
It was unique at the time. It was slower paced, and more "realistic" and I use that term very loosely.

Demon's Souls absolutely felt like you were a regular guy against unfathomable odds. You may have had some spells or whatever, but everything was a genuine threat right out of the gate. You felt really human and vulnerable, and you rarely felt super powerful unless you grinded weapons or soul levels, and even with overpowered equipment and levels, it was still very easy to die.

I don't think it works in a lot of games. It doesn't work in Lords of the Fallen because Lords of the Fallen is too easy. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Lords' combat system was adapted after the success of Dark Souls.
>>
>>332418397
Start from Demon's Souls.
>>
I fucking miss old king doran.
>>
>>332417358
i think you're underestimating how impressive 5 million copies is for any game.
>>
>>332417171
This. Normies neither know nor care about Souls. I live in central Tokyo and no one I have ever spoken to has even heard of it. Even the nerds in Akiba don't care about it.
>>
>>332419039
all my normie friends who own a ps4 know about Soul what are you talking about

this isn't 2009 anymore
>>
>>332418629
>"realistic" and I use that term very loosely
Loosely indeed. Nothing about Souls combat is realistic, except perhaps the weight of swinging giant ass weapons which would be totally impractical in a real battle. Not to mention rolling is the stupidest fucking mechanic imaginable. Why not actually have dodges and acrobatic sidesteps, tumbling around on the ground looks feels and plays dumb.
>giant abomination spawned solely for battle attacks
>slap its toe a few times
>it dies
>>
>>332419039
theres 2 kinds of otas
one only watch anime and play nintendo games and eroge
and the other play all sorts of games plus galge
>>
>>332419272
>2 million sold worldwide
Go outside your circle anon.
>>
>>332418595
I don't give a fuck about difficulty, I just wanna know if it's a good start.
>>332418641
I don't have a ps3
>>
>>332414014
Amazingly back when I had a PS3, i picked the game at random.
It was 20 bucks and looked alright from the cover. Little did I know what I was getting into.
DeS will be my favorite to this day though, best atmosphere and pacing.

I was surprised when I first started visiting /v/ to see how loved the series is.
I had completely missed out on the Dark souls series until you guys brought it to my attention.

Still haven't played Das1 but I've played Das2 and BB.
>>
>>332418397
If you don't have a PS3 sure, just make sure to install DSfix and get higher res textures if you don't want to be dealing with a port quality on par with DMC3 and RE4.
>>
>>332418397
I'd play FeS first but if you can't then play DaS.

You should skip 2.
>>
>>332419625
>if it doesn't sell like cod or ac it's not huge

you are a fucking faggot, also dark souls sold way more than that
>>
>>332418595
Salty? :D
>>
>>332419608
>train
>card
>talent
>ham radio
>DIY
>figures
Just about everything has its niche otaku following.
>>
>>332417489
Nioh does look fucking sick, though. Does it have a release date?
>>
>>332419039
souls are actually more popular and sell more in the west than in nipland.
>>
>>332419780

You shouid definitely get around to DaS, I liked it more than DeS but that's always varied from person to person.
>>
>>332414014
I was looking for the most ridiculous title i could find with the most edge lord RPG name there ever could be. In the end, i found demon's souls.

I was not prepared for the 7 years of addiction that followed and still haunts me to this day.
>>
>>332417171
Absolute retard.
The game is hugely influential. Tons of RPGs immediately get compared to it.
"Souls like" is an actual term now to describe a game.
People are making games based on the souls series mechanics.
Le too hard epic meme is still a meme.
"Lore" videos
Probably more stuff that i missed.
It's not call of duty relevant but it's pretty damn relevant.
>>
>tfw still remember the press calling DeS a Monster Hunter clone
>tfw still remember /v/ shilling to get the hong kong version
>tfw I bought it
>tfw I don't regret it
FEELS GOOD
>>
>>332419887
you bet XD dis gems to difficult arrgggg im prepared to die :D
>>
>>332419978
I've had it on PC for years but my PC couldn't run it very well and I refused to play it at such low FPS.

Now I have powerful PC that could run Das3 perfectly, but I don't have a gamepad.

Such is life..
>>
>>332419821
Since you provided anecdotal evidence with your friends, allow me to present mine
>70+ students
>50+ gym members
>100+ people at random bars
>30+ friends and acquaintances back home
>30+ Akihabara otaku
I have met one person who had ever even heard of Dark Souls. It just isn't popular here nor could it be considered so in the States.
>>
>>332419978
I think what series lost after DeS was boss mechanical variety. In DeS every boss had his special weakness, and while exploiting it would make the fight very easy the process of discovery made it more special. In DaS you know perfectly well that to beat the boss you have to roll/block his attacks and poke at his health bar, in DeS you could realize that a boss is blind and slow walking allows you to exploit this weakness or that a shifty guy upstairs is the one cloning boss and you should kill him first.
>>
>>332420286
you can play any of the DaS games without a gamepad.
the guys who ported are actually fucked since they made a control scheme that works with keyboard only in case you don't have a mouse for some reason.
>>
>>332417489
Ni-Oh is more like a mix between Onimusha and Souls with some elements taken from Ninja Gaiden.
>>
>>332419978
>>332420286
I definitely plan on trying to get a gamepad so I can play through DaS1 before DaS3 comes out however.

And DaS3 will be my first souls game that I play on launch.
I've never experienced how invasions are when the game first releases. Every souls game I played, I've played years after its release when there's much less people on. And the ones that are on are the try hards who already know every damn thing on the game, so fighting against them is impossible half the time.
>>
>>332414014
>niche
>influential

I can't see it being those two. Niche games have a very specific demografic, see Neptunia, dorf fort, ice-pick lodge games, etc.
>>
>>332420432
Now in DaS if they do have some kind of trick like that, it's considered cheesing to use it.
>>
>>332420443
Oh believe me I've tried playing it with keyboard and mouse and I'm REALLY not a fan.
I'll figure it out though, I hear DaS1 is the best so I guess I've saved the best for last.
>>
>>332420326
I don't believe you. If you play videogames in 2016 it's impossible to at least not know about it
>>
>>332414014
NOT mE, that's for sure. I remember the game came out, and I bought a ps3 because it looked cool and also metalgear solid.

It's funny because I did the same thing with ps4 but bloodborne and phantom pain.
>>
>>332420614
dark souls are really influential to other niche games. and it sells progressively more with each installment.
even todd howard use it to promote his newest fallout patch.
>>
3-2 best world. Nothing beats walking out onto those high ass, borderless bridges in the darkness for the first time, with that creepy ambiance in the background. Then taking an elevator down hundreds of feet to a fucking blood swamp.
>>
>>332417171
>it really isn't influential outside of 4chin
get out more, visit more sites. 4chin is nothing.
>>
>from software stopping
FOOL. FROM SOFTWARE NEVER STOPS. Just look at Armored Core.

Before Demon souls there's Shadow Tower and Shadow Tower: Abyss. Before Shadow Tower there's Kings Field.

The earlier titles were first person. Evidently the third person semi action game sold better and was more fun to play so they went over to that instead.
>>
>>332420812
lol you need to get off /v/, it's a beautiful day outside
>>
>>332414571
millnials ake this dumb cateory becase they never experienced real games.
Enclave is the real Souls game if we decide to use the term souls-like. So is Castlevania as regardless of 2D or Ninja Gaiden.
>>
>>332419525

>Loosely indeed. Nothing about Souls combat is realistic

I think it was realistic in the sense that your character was not some animu super soldier with godlike powers, the combat was slow, there was less room for fucking up, even at the end game you could still get killed real easy instead of being a immortal warrior who can kill everthing in two hits like in most other games, in the age of hand holding demon souls was something almost new.

Of course shit like its boring now because everyone idea of souls combat is just to give uber hp and damage to everthing instead of making enemies actually interesting to fight.
>>
Why do you hate normies in souls community ?
>le this game is soon hard are you ready to die guyz
>>
>>332419525
>Why not actually have dodges and acrobatic sidesteps
Bloodborne did.
>>
File: 1432641479447.jpg (10 KB, 195x195) Image search: [Google]
1432641479447.jpg
10 KB, 195x195
>>332414571

I love Dark Souls and it has gone too far.
>>
>>332421096
I fucking love enclave, but it's way too arcadey to compare with souls.
>>
>>332414014
>Niche Japanese Game
TBQH Senpai that's not even how I remember Demon's Souls back in 2009. It was something a lot of PS3 owners back then were looking forward to as big-budget Blu-Ray games still weren't too frequent at the time. Sure, I guess the audience for the game was somewhat niche, but it was very sucessful for the platform and the time.

As for being influential, I think it's actually still a bit too soon to tell. I need to see a few more games having admitted to and clearly taking influence or inspiriation from the Souls games before I call it influential.
>>
>>332414014

But anon it's not it's still a niche Japanese piece of shit
>>
>>332420989
>Just look at Armored Core.
>Never stops

Anon
>>
>>332419525
It's realistic in the sense that getting stabbed two or three times will kill you. Like you said, stupidly big weapons actually are stupidly slow unlike most games with them they feel like they have the weight they should. Weapons have a variety of different animations. Not sure why you hate rolling so much when a shoulder roll is legitimately good way to avoid something. "Acrobatic sidesteps" are anime tier shit except maybe just stepping backward, which you can do in every souls. Not to mention DaS has cartwheels and Bloodboorne has side steps. Both look remarkably less realistic actually. I do think it's more fun when there's different roll options like DaS though.
>>
File: PG7pZEZ.jpg (157 KB, 960x810) Image search: [Google]
PG7pZEZ.jpg
157 KB, 960x810
Like anything that gets too big, I get a bit fatigued by hearing about it all the damn time. Otherwise pretty good series it's done a lot to influence developers in the right direction I think

Also
>git gud
fags need to die
>>
>>332419804
>FeS

Feral Souls?
>>
>>332414014
I didn't have any thoughts back in 2009. I am only 5 years old.
>>
>>332414014
Yeah, I remember.
The news that it was really good and challenging came from Japan. They said that the westerners would not like it because it was so hard.
We wined and wined, and after like a year, we got it.
And a about year later Europe got it.
Shit was amazing.
>>
By the time DeS got to Europe people were hyped since it was already a big name game.
>>
>>332420853
Mario is influetial to many niche games as well without being one. DaS is too big now for it to be considered niche.
>>
File: Tripfag loses a fight.webm (1 MB, 268x480) Image search: [Google]
Tripfag loses a fight.webm
1 MB, 268x480
Shouldn't you guys be more happier about this?

Dark Souls is huge! Everyone loves it!

Now we'll get more games that share it's style of gameplay!

How are you not excited?
>>
>>332414571
Yes, but they suck. Awful games so far.
>>
>>332414014
I just cleared it myself after seeing the whole souls shilling here. Nothing really spectacular, just okay. It's DaS any better?
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.