[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you guys think of Tomb Raider series, 1-4 on the pla
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 15
What do you guys think of Tomb Raider series, 1-4 on the playstation 1 specifically?
It was one of my favorite series when I was a kid
Were the modern reboots any good? I haven't played them

Thread theme:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YaBvHqMWyxI
>>
Which Tomb Raider has you fighting a T rex at the end?

I will never forget how amazing Tomb Raider 1 was when it first came out. It was the fucking best thing ever.
>>
>>332388714
>Which Tomb Raider has you fighting a T rex at the end?
tr1 had t-rex but it was a miniboss in the first or second level
>>
>>332388714
The first one I think
Tomb Raider had some epic as fuck moments
>>
The Tom Raider games that came out around 2008 was good.

I liked the one that focused on norse mythology
>>
>>332388823
Third level, Lost Valley
Same model reused in TR2 in a secret area on the first level (The Great Wall)
And reused again in TR3 in a mandatory encounter. (Crash Site)
>>
>>332388615

Tomb Raider 1 was good,kinda hate the crystal saving system and those jumping sickos in Egypt and probably had a feud against the ones in Atlantis too but can't really remember

Tomb Raider 2 was ruined because unlimited saves,tits and butt were better defined and well I liked it

Tomb Raider 3
>India annoying
>Pacific mfw annoying
>Area 51...urr
>London...meh

Started to skip other levels,grow tired of it,skipped straight to last level,boss was some sort of JAV monster cut straight from Hitomi Tanaka's movie,ended it quickly and trashed the game

Tomb Raider 4
>we understand that people was tired of the lever formula so we replaced it with buttons and other gimmicks

Skipped a couple of levels,got tired of skipping levels,trashed the game in four days

No more Tomb Raider for me

Couple of years later pirate TR5 too,cause fuck you Eidos,play it when I feel to waste on hour or so on it,game glitches in the New York level and fucks up my save.Restart it from scratch,use two memory cards because I don't want to replay it again,end the game

>meh
>trash it

3 years later I bought the entire Tomb Raider collection from evilbay six included,hoping to have dealt with past TR poisoning I restart from TR3 and 4...uhm nope.

Skip to six,I accidentally fuck up with Nvidia and Creative drivers,format c:\

Fuck lost the save,fuck I really don't want to restart the second level,sell back the entire collection

Tomb Raider?
Never again
>>
>>332388615
>on the playstation 1 specifically
Why? It was a PC franchise from the start.
>>
>>332388714
I think that might be Tomb Raider 3? Where you start off in the Indian jungle.

Tomg Raider (the old ones) were super fun adventure puzzle games where you controlled a female character but nobody cared about that besides saying 'neat'.

The best part of the game is Laras house. It's a huge level seperate from the story that had changes every game and was filled with secrets, a crash course, quad bikes, a butler and other cool shit.

The new games don't have Laras home to my knowledge, the puzzles are literally shown to you how they are done and its a shooting game. I hate the new tombraider, ruined a franchise. they also called it 'Tombraider' so you always have to clarify which game you're talking about.
>>
>>332390258
I played on both and pc was better. I only played half the series when i was a kid and now im playing the ones i missed. Feels good man.
>>
>>332390492
Me too yet i still buy it. The last game that included the mansion was anniversary.
>>
>>332388615
Official rating of Tomb Raider games

Tomb Raider 1 - Great
Tomb Raider 2 - Awesome
Tomb Raider 3 Adventures of Lara Croft - Great
Tomb Raider 4 The Last Revelation - Meh it's ok I guess
Tomb Raider 5 Chronicles - Good
Tomb Raider 6 Angel of Darkness - Bad
Tomb Raider 7 Legend - Alright
Tomb Raider 8 Anniversary - Solid reboot
Tomb Raider 9 Underworld - Oh yeah
Tomb Raider 10 (2013) new lara shit - Awful
Tomb Raider 11 (2016) rise of the tomb raider - horseshit in every fucking possible way

There are some 'other' games that carry the name Tomb Raider but these aren't tomb raiders. Tomb Raider is a 3rd person adventure/puzzle game with shooting elements that you play on a PC with a keyboard (and mouse in later games). So temple of osaris etc gameboy platform shit is not a tomb raider game. The character looks good though but it doesnt count since its not a real tomb raider.
>>
>>332390039
tr1 didnt have unlimited saves?

how do unlimited saves ruin a game?

every tomb raider has unlimited saves retard
>>
>>332390783
3 didn't either. at least not the playstation version.
>>
File: 1371965605516.jpg (71 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
1371965605516.jpg
71 KB, 900x675
I got them when they were on sale on PSN but I didn't play much of them though my friend love them. They controls felt weird, it takes some adjusting but they weren't too bad.

The Anniversary reboot was nice, and I enjoyed Underworld but I never played the new reboots.
>>
>>332390851
>playing consoles
>ever

fuck off retard

when people talk about tomb raider they obviously mean PC
>>
>>332390962
There was no PC gaming community back then, there was no steam, if you had a PC you got the superior version but a lot of people played the PS1 versions only I had a PC and wish I played them.
>>
>>332390962
>muh pc

Please just die
>>
The two new Lara Croft games is essentially Uncharted but with "realistic" Lara Croft to please SJWs

They're not bad per say I just feel really bored playing them
>>
File: jolly fat man.png (34 KB, 140x106) Image search: [Google]
jolly fat man.png
34 KB, 140x106
>>332390962
you said all the games had unlimited saves, which is not true.

stay butthurt.
>>
I fucking loved 4. The recent reboots wee dogshit in comparison to 1-4
>>
>>332391082
>I just feel really bored playing them

That means they're bad
>>
>>332391106
all the tomb raider games do have unlimited saves though, you can just overwrite your previous save you know that right?
>>
File: tru 2016-03-26 11-06-43-45.jpg (216 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
tru 2016-03-26 11-06-43-45.jpg
216 KB, 1440x900
>>332388615
Iplayed only 4, AoD, Anniversary, Underworld and both new games. And I have to say my favourites are the new ones. Underworld has best Lara tho.
>>
File: tru 2016-03-26 10-54-13-83.jpg (200 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
tru 2016-03-26 10-54-13-83.jpg
200 KB, 1440x900
>>332391330
>>
File: tru 2016-03-26 10-53-42-18.jpg (136 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
tru 2016-03-26 10-53-42-18.jpg
136 KB, 1440x900
>>332391391
>>
File: tru 2016-03-26 12-18-04-10.jpg (234 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
tru 2016-03-26 12-18-04-10.jpg
234 KB, 1440x900
>>332391440
Also, why does fraps' screenshots look so shitty? The game looks much-much better.
>>
File: seth1.jpg (36 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
seth1.jpg
36 KB, 400x300
>tfw hopelessly stuck on pic related as a kid and never returned to the game
I feel so stupid
>>
>>332388615
>on the playstation 1 specifically?
They were the same as any other version except they ran much worse.

Otherwise, I have some strong nostalgia for this shit. Normies only looked at it like it was some fetish/sexual thing, but they only achieved that status because the games were actually very, very good, whether the gameplay, the exploration, the puzzles or the story, lore or the varied settings.

We really miss such games these days, providing us with several different locales and feeling like an actual adventure. An autonomous, silent adventure, not with someone constantly talking over the radio, letting you advance at your own pace, on your own. Now it's all stale and set in one major settings with at best a minor other one which is generally generic industrial building or city streets.

Few months ago, I played through all games again, and it felt so fucking good. Then I played the first wave of remakes, which I originally dismissed as being garbage. Well, they were much better than I thought, especially Underworld which was nothing short of stellar: those huge as fuck levels where you're free to walk around and explore, that size of everything, that feeling of pure freedom, and those actually great graphics that didn't age the slightest. When I was done with it, I actually went on holidays to Cambodia and Thailand to do some old temple exploration.

Modern games just aren't the same, and neither Tomb Raider 2013, Uncharted nor Assassin's Creed bring the same feeling. Too bad, there's some real potential to make incredible games with Tomb Raider, but they're more interested in making money than making good video games.
>>
>>332388615

1 and 2 were too long and monotonous for me to play as a child, I got bored somewhere around halfway. The story was intriguing, but the crude graphics and overlong, repetitive levels sucked all enjoyment out of it.

3 was a clear step up. The levels were more varied, there were more cutscenes to deliver the story, new vehicles and mechanics. Enjoyed it a lot at the time.

Last Revelation had the best story out of the games, but it was even fucking longer than any of the previous games, with bigger maps, bigger puzzles, bigger enemies, etc. I got stuck so many times, with no fucking clue what to do, or where to go. I didn't have internet at the time or guides to tell what to do. Still, an unforgettable experience, in both good and bad.

Chronicles was more like an expansion to LR than a game of its own. I liked the episodic stories. It still had that magical feel to it, but the mechanics were already getting hopelessly outdated.

Angel of Darkness killed my passion for the series, being too weird and different, on top of fucking unplayable.

Anniversary cut the excess out of 1 and updated the graphics. It was supposed to be everything I'd always hoped. But in the end, the graphics weren't that big of an improvement, and what's worse, they butchered the story. The magic was just gone.

Legend was absolute garbage with disturbingly senseless script and shitty gameplay. At least it wasn't long. I cleared the game in fucking four hours. Didn't even touch Underworld.

Don't know what to make of the 2013 game. It looked pretty and the gameplay was fun. But how blatantly they ripped off Uncharted and other AAA-titles made it taste like shit. And the story...never mind. I have about zero interest for the newest one.
>>
>>332392286
> Didn't even touch Underworld
retard.
>>
>>332392286
>Didn't even touch Underworld.
Your loss, it's the best of the 1st gen remakes.
>>
>>332388615
Not sure which reboot you mean, but the Legend reboot was really good, the 2013 one I have kind of avoided it looks pretty shit.
>>
>>332392374
>>332392427

>first game in a trilogy is shit
>second game in a trilogy is absolute shit
>t-the third one is good, I swear!

Oh fuck off
>>
>>332392980
k it's you who is retarded, not us.
>>
>>332391527
JPG
>>
You have to pick just one Lara.
>>
>>332393223
underworld lara. or from temple of osiris.
>>
>>332393223
Anniversary

>>332393362
>pick one
>picks two

fuck your kind of people fucking faggot fuck you piece of shit retard
>>
>>332388615
Playstation 1 tomb raiders are god tier
Played the shit out of them with my father.
2013 reboot is great, don't listen to /v/ shit opinions
Haven't played RoTR
>>
>>332393491
i'm jewish.
>>
>>332393597
my advice was free
>>
>>332393648
kek
>>
>>332390783

Nope I played TR1 both on PS1 and Saturn,it had save crystals,once used they were goner so if some crazy jumping sicko dumped you from a pyramid you had to do the entire part

TR2 on PS1 had unlimited saves and I don't really remember TR3 saves because I rushed through annoying levels and after London skipped straight to last one cause I was already bored to death
>>
>>332390962
>Acting like unlimited quick saving actually make a game superior, even when the savepoints are intelligently placed
>>
>>332393776
>>332393794
>console problems

kek im not even gonna argue you guys r dumb
>>
>>332392039
I understand. If there's one game where it's easy to get "hopelessly stuck", it is Last Revelation, which is massively unforgiving. Sometimes it actually is a glitch that fucks you over. I've found that out twice, the game is buggy as fuck.
>>
>>332393842
I seriously don't see how you can defeat quicksaves design wise. It is absolute cancer which encourages the worst kind of random, slowly forward inching design in place of carefully crafted, set challenge because that's the only real way to make it work when the player has complete control over save states.

Freedom is only meaningfully good when there is something to gain out of specifically restricting yourself in precise ways.
>>
>>332393842

At that time only few friends were toaster equipped and since our school was toaster equipped too most of the time was spent playing on easy games as Tomb Raider during an electronic lesson was out of question.

So TR1 on consoles was not easy mode like pc
>>
>>332391330
I hated camera in that game. Sometimes you just jump nowhere near you wanted to.
>>
>>332394220
Let me guess, you played only on consoles while you were a kid and got a pc somewhat near 2001?
>>
>>332388615
>Were the modern reboots any good? I haven't played them
If you liked the old TR, probably not. If you like good games, they're really good.
>>
>>332390492
it's a shame that in the HD universe Lara's home doesn't feel like a home or mansion at all just one big jungle jim playground with some statues littered about.
A dang shame because the house levels where allways one of the most fun in each game because your friends all "knew" or heard some sort of rumor on a secrect in the mansion that led to a different ending, another level more weapons or getting lara nekkid.
>>
>>332393648
>>
>>332392980
But 1 & 2 were shit. It's just that the third happens to be good.
>>
>>332394849
I thought anniversary was ok. What was wrong with it?
>>
File: 330535.jpg (507 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
330535.jpg
507 KB, 1920x1080
>>332393223
Underworld.
>>
>>332388714
First 3 have T-Rexes. 1 has 1 in the third level, 2 has 2 secret ones in the first level and 3 has at least 1 (maybe more) in the Pacific Islands level. None are at the end, although I think the expansion TR2 has a few in the last level, so you might be thinking of that. Haven't played it myself though so I don't know.
>>
Anyone else fucking love the Nevada levels? I found TR3 to be very hit and miss but those are my favourite in the series
>>
>>332395385
Not him, but I can't play Anniversary without it crashing my PC. I can play fine for maybe 30 minutes to 1 hour, then crash. Load it back up again and it crashes in 20 minutes. Kept pushing until I made it to the Egypt level with the dogs in the hallways and then it started crashing within 2 to 3 minutes, sometimes only a few seconds. And these crashes are a black screen so I have to do a hard shut down and restart every time. Couldn't even make it to the next checkpoint after trying for days. At that point I had enough. It was alright up to that point but puzzles were more tedious than Legend and Underworld. The only time I'm going back is if I play it on PS2, which I don't have anymore.

Legend was my first Tomb Raider game, so I got introduced to it with chatty characters. Anniversary felt lonely, and some parts were kind of boring/bland but overall it felt similar to Legend, just not as fun imo. Underworld was phenomenal, but I hated the Main Menu UI, really confusing for no reason and it was a pain to look for your save files and try to go back to earlier areas without overriding a checkpoint by accident. Also why can't you check what an outfit looks like without restarting the entire level? Also wish they brought back the mansion. Otherwise it's my favorite TR.

Tried the new reboot, but it doesn't feel like a Tomb Raider game at all. Wished they called it something else. Just feels like Uncharted with a weaker protagonist. Hated all the cutscenes too, there's no fun or joking around, it's all super serious drama that I can't really connect with. The graphics are nice though and I like Lara's smooth procedural animations. Underworld's looked a little buggy.
>>
File: tombraider_anni_02.jpg (220 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
tombraider_anni_02.jpg
220 KB, 1280x960
>>332396659
>Not him, but I can't play Anniversary without it crashing my PC
I have a steam version, no crashes during 35 hours.
I had an issue with save files though, but i solved it pretty easily.
I wish steam version had ps3 Lara model.
>>
>>332395385

Lazily adapted, streamlined levels, forced QTE gimmicks, ruined cutscenes, cringeworthy voice acting. Fuck, what did it do RIGHT?
>>
>>332396362

The flying saucer was super spoopy. And the autopsy room with the ayyliums. I crawled through those parts one step at a time, expecting one of them to suddenly jump up and make me shit my fucking pants. With the shitty graphics and poor performance, I couldn't tell whether it actually moved, or the game just glitched again.
>>
Do you think next TR games will have emphasys on actual tombs again? I thought RotTR was a step forward from TR2013, well first half of the game at least, it had puzzles and shit. But it just doesn't feel like tomb raider, I'm even ok with cinematic bullshit, but give me back tombs and puzzles.
>>
>>332397016
Yeah, that's the version I have too. Haven't had any crashes with either Legend or Underworld, even used an ENB for Underworld. Not sure what it is. Could be an incompatibility with my GPU or CPU. I know older games are restricted to single cores, and I had a first generation Core i7. Maybe that had something to do with it, but it hasn't affected the other 2 games. Also have an older GPU.

I did have some save file issues with Anniversary too at first but I was able to get that fixed. Ah, that does look like a nicer looking lara than I remember.
>>
>>332398121
I have a feeling they're gonna keep exploring Lara's psychology, so more of a focus on story and character development along with the linear stuff. It's already successful so I don't see them changing the formula too much.
>>
>>332389179
That was Underworld. I liked the Legend/Anniversary/Underworld era.
The 2013 reboot was shit.

I even liked the troubled Angel of Darkness (Last game that Core Design made)
>>
>>332390039
> Being this retarded
>>
File: 1451505896438.jpg (162 KB, 894x894) Image search: [Google]
1451505896438.jpg
162 KB, 894x894
I want to ____ Lara's ____
>>
>>332390258
It was originally a Saturn game m8.
>>
>>332388615
Never liked them, always found the controls irritating and the mechanics unfun. PoP:SoT and Uncharted are so much better executed versions of similar ideas, and comparing TR to something like like MGS shows how embarrassingly primitive and clunky some early 3D games were
>>
>>332399554

well my master I was 18 at that time,I could rush through TR2 sideways and do the last TR1 level blindfolded while jumping in between lava pools and collecting all the secrets without breaking a sweat.

Don't mind me if after those stunts I quickly grow tired of TR3 because despite new graphics,new zones,new animations was just the same Tomb Raider,don't mind me if I trashed TR4 too for the very same reason as I didn't see or feel the need to waste my money on them nor to waste time replaying them,I've simply moved on probably less or better things

Basically it felt like Resident Evil 2,crowd of zombies GT1 Cubanate Skeletal music on background and rushed through the levels as it was not worth the time to plink unnecessary zombies out,on the other hand I liked RE3 but after ending it 10 times guess what?No more Resident Evil for me.

Once I'm exhausted I simply drop the franchise as I lost interest of they do to improve it or worse, of what they try to jew people out
>>
The Last Revelation is my favorite old school TR and Anniversary is my favorite TR from all time. The reboots are shit. New Lara rubs me in the wrong way for whatever reason and I hate the focus on shooting. If I wanted to play Uncharted I would play Uncharted.
>>
>>332400182
suck

collarbones
>>
>>332392209
I always overlooked the games as a kid because I assumed they were just fan service first.

I guess I should go back and give it an honest shot. I remember renting 2 forever ago but I never seemed to get into it.
>>
File: really.jpg (11 KB, 372x540) Image search: [Google]
really.jpg
11 KB, 372x540
>>332402151
>avoiding fan service
>as a kid
>>
They were great and innovative games for the times.

Last Rev > 1-3. Suck it.
>>
>>332400182
meet

designer
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.