[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fallout 4 made me worried for the future of TES. This is the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (474 KB, 1529x1898) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
474 KB, 1529x1898
Fallout 4 made me worried for the future of TES. This is the first time Bethesda jumped the shark on the one good thing gamebryo does- immersive character schedules/routines, and a vast, interesting world.

Fallout 4 felt so fucking unimmersive and railroaded, but not just in the writing. The game had what, two cities? For all its faults, skyrim had a great, diverse map and still a decent amount of lore that was surprisingly non-bethesda tier.

On another note, it's been 5 years since skyrim. Where's the fucking ambition? At least skyrim was ambitious.
>>
Skyrim should have made you worried for the future of TES. Oblivion might've been a fluke, but their path was clearly set after Skyrim.
>>
>>332313274
Currently they're finishing up Dishonored 2, which in itself is an original series with lots of ambition and replayability. I'm sure that after D2 releases they'll start work on another elder scrolls game, which is bound to be at least somewhat immersive.

Don't listen to people who ram skyrim because it's not a "true" elder scrolls game, while it may not be exactly like the last two, its still a fun game, and thats all that matters.
>>
>>332313584
TES is DOOMed
>>
Arkane Studios is working on Dishonored 2, not Bethesda Game Studios. So, they're working on Fallout 4 DLCs and maybe already on the next TES.
>>
>>332314194
Whoopsies, my B.
>>
>>332313632
Bethesda publish Dishonored, not developing it.
>>
>>332313632
You do realize that Bethesda Softworks and Bethesda Game Studios are not the same company, right?
>>
>>332313274
>Two cities

What? Goodneighbour and Diamond City.

Do the Prydwen, the Institute, Bunker's Hill and Sanctuary Hills not count as cities?
>>
>>332314409
>>332314521
see >>332314304
>>
>>332313584
This senpai.
>no faction reputation
>no overall world reputation
>no spell making (a fucking feature unique to TES since Arena)
>no mid air and underwater combat
>over 90% of lights don't have visible object attached
>dungeons are just long corridors that loop at the end
>no fucking attributes in a supposed "RPG"
>bare bones magic system that doesn't even have proper debuffs or buffs other than shitty armor rating
I wish Morrowind was my first TES, but nope. It had to be this pile of shit. But I doubt I could even play morrowind why it's shitty system specs back in the day.
>>
Don't worry, there will be a brand new engine this time, based on gamebryo!
>>
>>332314828
you can ride dragon xDDDD
>>
File: 200%mad.jpg (17 KB, 185x273) Image search: [Google]
200%mad.jpg
17 KB, 185x273
>>332314828
>>332313584
Skyrim's a downgrade in complexity but Fallout 4 is way worse. TES is not looking bright. Bethesda should fuck off, they seriously don't deserve either IP.
>>
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Besides a lot of the core stuff behind any game, Bethesda tends to reinvent more often than flat out borrow stuff from previous games. At best they'll look at what was best received and incorporate or improve on it. So I could see the perk system definitely returning to TES, but perhaps with a wider pool of options and variety.

Fallout 4, like any other BGS game, has good and part parts. The player customization, crafting system, and clutter was easily the best implementation out of any of their games so far.

I'd definitely agree though that Fallout 4 felt quite bland and lifeless. For a game that didn't have that many NPCs, a great deal of them didn't have any dialogue at all, much less names or anything to note. They were just more or less there. At least with Skyrim and Oblivion they'd go about their days and have animations for a bunch of tasks.

My only real worry for TES VI would be a voiced protagonist again. Not because of the "lack of dialogue options" or anything like that (let's face it, TES has never really had good dialogue systems for the most part). Simply because there's always a "canon" narrative that always forces your hand in terms of roleplaying. No matter what you did in Fallout 4, you were always concerned about your wife and child. No amount of sarcastic dialogue choices changed that.
>>
>>332314601
No.
>>
>>332315147
>My only real worry for TES VI would be a voiced protagonist again
This would be a deal-breaker for me.
>>
>>332315147
>The player customization, crafting system, and clutter was easily the best implementation out of any of their games so far.
Hahahaha
>>
File: TESV_gameplay.webm (3 MB, 626x352) Image search: [Google]
TESV_gameplay.webm
3 MB, 626x352
Moddus fix everything
Submit to groriur moddu
>>
>>332315432
Good refutation. Really showed me with your complete lack of argument whatsoever.

But please, do go on.
>>
>>332315362
Why not?

They have a lot of NPCs.
They have shops.
>>
>>332315493
They really should make adding animations less of a pain this time.
>>
I'm generally very critical of games but I still enjoy Skyrim. That being said, if TES 6 is ANYTHING like fallout 4 I will not buy it, if they have the audacity to put that voiced protag, mass effect wheel horse shit in elder scrolls that is the last straw.

It also better be at least a little deeper than Skyrim, they can please hardcore fans and casuals at the same time for fucks sake, just have two levelling styles, easy (like skyrims perk tree) and advanced which gives you more precise options.
>>
>>332315654
Am I being baited? Fallout 4's "cities" are a complete joke barring Diamond.

Seriously, there is NOTHING interesting about bunker hill, or any of the settlements for that matter. Not that any of them make sense either.
>>
>>332315493
Holy crap, sex mods have improved insanely. Are there violent animations?
>>
>>332313584
>>332313274
Even modders are getting sick of this shit.
http://www.nma-fallout.com/threads/mods-geck-will-fix-it-nope.204799/
>>
>>332315824
Is there a mod which re-adds attributes to Skyrim?
>>
>>332313584
Oblivion wasn't a fluke, it was riding on years of hype and marketing after Morrowind.
>>
>>332316041
None of them are decent.
>>
File: 1412377691186.png (14 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1412377691186.png
14 KB, 800x600
Everything fine, if they keep bringing out the updated Engine so SureAI (Nehrim, Enderal, etc) can make proper games from it :^)
>>
>>332313274
>At least skyrim was ambitious
You must be joking.
>>
>>332316180
They meant a fluke as in you could justify Oblivion being simple as a one-off and then they'd go back to being more complex.
>>
>>332313274
>At least skyrim was ambitious.
>one magic school less
>bunch of new spells every 25 levels in said magic schools
>no custom spells creation
>ambitious
>>
I just wish bethesda would hire new animators and abandon their ps2 era animations.
>>
>>332315425
It was a deal breaker with me for Fallout 4. I agree with the guys that keep saying "Fallout 4 is not an RPG", it's a fucking disgrace how far they went to ruin the RPG elements of their previous games. Fuck this railroaded story, I don't give a shit about my kid or any of this. Stop forcing me to care about this poorly written garbage.
>>
>>332316180

I meant it more as being able to disregard it as a one-off fluke, like when it released you could go 'Oh.. well it's a bit more simplistic, and what's with all these unkillable NPCs, and there's fewer factions... surely they'll bring this back for the next game'.

But oh how wrong we were. Wasn't the largest city in Skyrim a total of 11 buildings?
>>
>>332315568

>customization
>one piece armors and clothing, monotone weapon and magic selection as well as three viable combat options at most
>crafting
>not broken and tedious
>clutter
>not pointless inert weight you cant equip or use, no alchemy gear, lamp variety or improvised weapons
>>
>>332313274
>Fallout 4 made me worried for the future of TES
And 3 didn't?
>>
>>332317595
>Customization is only an aesthetic option
>Magic in fucking Fallout
>Implying the crafting wasn't easy as fuck to use in Fallout 4, easy to understand what materials you needed, and where you could get the prioritized materials in the interface
>Implying the clutter wasn't actually usable this time for crafting, rather than simply be objects that are simply there and have negligible weight and value and no other purpose

The fact it took you that long for that mediocre a response is laughable.
>>
>>332317595
This. All crafting did was make dungeon diving a waste of time since the only good gear is self made. You don't even have to go to a dungeon to find the materials you need for crafting.
>>
>>332317985
>Implying the clutter wasn't actually usable this time for crafting, rather than simply be objects that are simply there and have negligible weight and value and no other purpose
I never understood this complaint. It's purpose was to make the world more realistic, noone forced you to collect every piece of it.
>>
>>332317018
>>332316745
In terms of a big, immersive world, yes. There's a reason it still has 30,000+ players on steam at any time.

It does a lot of things well, but doesn't excel at anything.
>>
>>332318540
It's smaller than Oblivion. Even the cities are smaller. And unlike oblivion there was no world reaction like the Black Horse Courier.
>>
>>332318493
I never said it was a complaint.

I simply said it actually gave it something beyond an aesthetic reason for existing in the game world.
>>
>>332313274

Fallout 4 sucked so hard that Bethesda will really have to win me back with the next TES if they want my money again.

TES needs proper writing and proper characterisation with a world that's well thought out. Bethesda could only scale it's mediocrity so far and Fallout 4 represented the first game past the barrier - whereby it's size and shallowness make it extremely dull.

Fallout 4 was so bad that Bethesdas sales may be hurt in the long run tho, so they make take stock, fire the current team and play some other current-gen games to get a feel for things.
>>
>>332317985

But we're talking about skyrim.

You dumb sack of shit.

>>332318493

No useable alchemy gear pissed me the fuck off.
>>
>>332319128
Actually we're talking about Fallout, TES, and Fallout 4's potential trends that may impact the future games.

As someone that wrote the comment that you fucking responded to, it was also clear that I was talking about Fallout 4 in these cases.

Case in point "Fallout 4, like any other BGS game, has good and part parts. The player customization, crafting system, and clutter was easily the best implementation out of any of their games so far."

Good job not being able to fucking read, retard. Maybe you should work on third grade reading comprehension before coming to /v/.
>>
>>332319017
This
>>
>>332318865
Oblivion has better cities and quests than Skyrim.

But Skyrim has better less copy and paste dungeons, more mods and a more interesting world.
>>
>>332319017
I hope you do realize Fallout 4 commercially was a huge success for BGS.

Obviously it's way too early to say anything about its lifetime sales, but within launch window it was easily their biggest release yet.
>>
File: sigh.jpg (146 KB, 500x625) Image search: [Google]
sigh.jpg
146 KB, 500x625
Fallout's the best post-apocalyptic world I know of, and Elder Scrolls lore is fantastic.

It's ridiculous that Bethesda owns these two IP's. Imagine if someone who gave a shit about making real RPG's made them.
>>
>>332320381
Honestly curious, what companies these days actually give a shit about RPGs?

Part of the reason TES has made so much bank is that there was no real competition. Witcher 3 was a good attempt, but overall is still only one title in a long window of time.
>>
Fallout 4 is still the eighth most played game on Steam at the moment which is excellent for a single player game.
I'm quite surprised actually.
Skyrim is still quite high on the chart too at 16th.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/
>>
>>332319826
Skyrim dungeons are all made the same way Oblivion and Morrowind dungeons were. The only difference is instead of careful dungeon layouts and encounter planning, they turned dungeons into one long corridor and added a bunch of clutter in their free time.
>>
>>332320692
>careful dungeon layouts and encounter planning
Oblivion dungeons were procedurally generated iirc.
>>
>>332319903

Products are bought on reputation though. F4 was bought because of Skyrim and TES5 will be bought because of F4.

I tried to gauge the exact moment in Mass Effect where it becomes deeper than F4. I think it's on Eden prime when you first meet Ashley - about 30 mins in. It then remains deeper than F4 for F4's remaining 200 hours.

The Last of Us is even better. It manages to become deeper than F4 during the loading screen.
>>
File: 1447125570134.jpg (5 KB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
1447125570134.jpg
5 KB, 250x188
>>332320624
None are as huge as Bethesda, but we have several studios. Projekt RED's an obvious one. Obsidian has announced another RPG, I hope it turns out to be good. Maybe after it, Bethesda'll give them another shot at Fallout.

Please Todd, just this once do a service to humanity.
>>
>>332320692
Honestly Morrowind and Oblivion dungeons were largely linear as fuck with only one real path. They were on average also much smaller.

I'm not saying Skyrim's dungeons were amazing by any stretch, but in terms of the average dungeon comparatively between Oblivion and Morrowind, they were much better. More additions of puzzles, traps, etc made them a bit more varied. Shame the traps were piss weak and the puzzles were baby tier easy, but it's better than nothing at all. Changes the pacing.

Though seriously, Daggerfall and Arena were the only good games dungeon wise out of the series.
>>
>>332315845
Skyrim's "cities" were like a half dozen houses.
>>
>>332313584
Oblivion was good, though.
>>
>>332321076
>More additions of puzzles, traps, etc
But the puzzles were pretty retarded in comparison.
>>
>>332321076
>>332320692
Oblivion's dungeons were horrible. It was fine for a while but there are so many of them reusing the same texture and layout. It's so samey. Skyrim at least had a lot more variety when it comes to dungeons.

>>332321239
But it was a step up. I remember the gameplay preview, everyone thought there were going to be a lot more puzzles, but it's like four different puzzles in total.
>>
>all of the sudden neo-/v/ likes like shitrim

fuck off
>>
>>332320692

Quality beats Quantity every single time.

The next Elder Scrolls should only have a few dungeons that are as big and interesting as the Dwarven City in Dragon Age:Origins.
>>
>>332317378

>largest city in Skyrim a total of 11 buildings

It wasn't that bad. Solitude, Windhelm, Riften and Markarth were decently sized.
>>
>>332321337
The mistake at this point is thinking the game will have much more than what is shown in the previews. It's never the case. This is the main source of blind hype.
>>
>>332320930
No one has source on that and no one ever will. Because it never happened.
>>
>>332321239
Oh yeah, like I said the puzzles were hilariously easy. I think only a couple of them actually involved riddles for the combinations, though you could still easily just put in random combinations until it worked since there was no penalty for fucking up (even if there were traps they did next to no damage).

But still, it at least changed the pacing of the dungeons, just like the readdition of traps for Oblivion changed the pacing of their dungeons.
>>
>>332321510
>were decently sized.
No.
>>
>>332321449
I hope you're fucking joking about the Deep Roads.

That was the worst part of Dragon Age Origins outside of the stupid Sloth part.
>>
>>332321076
>More additions of puzzles, traps, etc made them a bit more varied
Objectively wrong. Why lie on the internet?
>>
>>332321239

The puzzles in Skyrim were absolutely pathetic.

Match the animal with the other animal is insulting.

Tomb Raider Reboot had some ok puzzles that would be achievable in TES6.
>>
>>332321676

I played DA:O and really liked the deep roads and the fade.

And then I read the reviews and /v/ and absolutely everyone hated it.
>>
>>332321397

>people aren't blinded by nostalgia and accept the strengths and flaws of each game

Skyrim did lots of things wrong but stop claiming previous installments were superior in EVERY aspect cause they're not
>>
>>332321773
What was even the point of them. The answers were right out in the open.
>>
File: 1455707563727.png (344 KB, 518x518) Image search: [Google]
1455707563727.png
344 KB, 518x518
>>332321527
Oh yeah, Todd's a slippery fucker. Honestly, it's surprising none of these companies have been sued for deceptive marketing.

It's so common in gaming, isn't it? This fucking industry, man.
>>
>>332322020
How could you like any of those areas?

The only good part of the Deep Roads was the Revenant you could fight in it, and the Fade wasn't difficult at all, just a huge time sink (and gave you incentive to check every nook and cranny in that repetitive, soulless area).

It's like they gathered in a meeting and said "This area is putting players to sleep, it feels forced, and no one likes it. We should scrap it."

Then someone shouted "Just add attribute boosts!"
>>
>>332313274
>skyrim had a great, diverse map and still a decent amount of lore that was surprisingly non-bethesda tier.
when I think about it Skyrim is the starting point of how the next Bethesda game would be.
>a lot of mission consisting of go to dungeon A kill/grab X
>a shitload of stuff have been removed compared to the previous game (characteristic, spells, type of ennemies, ability to create spell)
>the scale is fucked up, while Oblivion still gave you the illusion to go to actual town half of Skyrim town feels so fucking small specialy the capital. Even the forest you have never the feeling to go in a deep wood because too small.

Skyrim is way better than Fallout 4 but I can stop have the feeling that with Bethesda for one improvement you have a dozen of stuff gone wrong.
>>
rollin2
>>
>>332322097

I have no idea. Good puzzles really give a game depth but the puzzles in Skyrim weren't even puzzles. Skyrim could have done so much in terms of making dungeons actually rewarding to get through but they didn't.

>>332322242

When I played the Deep Roads I really liked the story. I'm a sucker for the whole 'it's a mystery down there and certain death' - and it didn't disappoint. The game really achieved a sense of scale and danger.

The Fade was the same; I liked the madness and the dream-like quality of it. If DA:O is ever rebooted they should really nail down the whole madness thing.
>>
rollin 1
>>
rollin 2
>>
rollin 3
>>
>>332313632
They will fallout 4 it... They want the largest fucking audience possible for muh sales.
>>
>>332322156
false advertising as a law may as well not exist, companies can show literally whatever they want as long as they don't say "this is exactly how the product you purchase will look"
>>
>>332315910
This site looks like a shit hole senpai.
>>
>>332317378
>unkillable NPCs
That doesn't make the game simpler, it just restricts your playstyle in a way.
You have to make a choice: having a radiant AI system and some unkillable NPCs, or having all NPCs be killable yet lifeless and stationary. Because having a vital NPC die due to a pathing bug or from some monsters or bandits on the road is not fun.
The radiant AI system makes the game more complex than having 100% of the NPCs killable as opposed to 90%, by actually giving NPCs schedules and daily tasks. Beth should just add an option to toggle the immortality of essential NPCs, or make them unkillable by anything except the player, it'll calm the spergs down.

>and there's fewer factions
But better faction quests. I'll take quality over quantity.
>>
>>332320930
>Oblivion dungeons were procedurally generated iirc.
You're wrong as fuck.
>>
>>332324605
Back to be todd. And no. I'm not buying your game.
>>
>>332324650
You can toggle unkillable with console commands
>>
>>332324650
No it doesn't, just make them essential if they have to travel somewhere or otherwise keep them in safe cities like the majority of skyrims NPCs.
>>
>>332313274
Now that Fallout 4 is out I realize I don't dislike Skyrim half as much as I thought I did.
>>
>>332324650
Skyrim does not have better faction quests than Oblivion. The move from faction complexity to simplistic should not have been necessarily coupled to either the reduction in the amount of quests or their apparent quality.

These were changes made due to a shift in design priority. Morrowind valued gating in ways that later installments tried to abolish. Oblivion and Skyrim attempt to let any kind of player do any and all missions.

I would much prefer a gated experience where not all paths lie open to a single character at the onset, AND where quests are better than "fetch THING from PLACE."

I want Morrowind's design philosophies concerning how we are able to approach the world, Oblivion's quality quests, and Skyrim's... visual fidelity.

Instead, we have Morrowind's shitty fetch quests, Oblivion's shitty leveled loot and enemies, and the worst incarnation of the quest journal yet in Skyrim.

But walking is prettier than before! Huzzah!
>>
>>332324650

>having a vital NPC die due to a pathing bug or from some monsters or bandits on the road is not fun.

>Make them killable by PC only

Wooooooow that was fucking hard wasn't it.
>>
>>332328160
Hard? For "Trains, digitigrade legs, ladders, open cities, layered clothing, thrown weapons, and spears are hard to do well in our games." Bethesda? I'm going to go with "yeah."
>>
File: i like this post.gif (1 MB, 200x254) Image search: [Google]
i like this post.gif
1 MB, 200x254
>>332328032
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.