[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help on Upgrading My Fat PS3
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: fatps3.jpg (22 KB, 500x326) Image search: [Google]
fatps3.jpg
22 KB, 500x326
Hello /v/. I have an original PS3 fat, like day they released PS3 in NA original. However, it didn't see a lot of use for a long time, in part due to college and most of the kids I knew in high school back in the day owning 360 (which I had as well).

I've come to really appreciate the PS3, as a collector of physical media. It plays PS1, and PS2 games. However, I want to increase the hard drive space on it, ironically because I might want to get some cheap online only or download version of games. But knowing this is a Sony product, I'm really afraid of bricking it.

So what Hard Drives do you guys recommend for upgrading the PS3? What are the do's and don'ts. How likely am I to brick my PS3 doing this?
>>
Are you retarded? The PS3 takes literally any laptop hard drive it takes 5 minutes at most to change it with no chance of brick. You may have to put the firmware on the jump drive for the fat models though, there's downloads on the website.
>>
>>332280984
>>332280882
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps3/ here is the download link
>>
day1 PS3? with PS2 game support build in? that thing's worth bank. sell it for a boatload and buy a PS4 and a new PS3.
>>
>>332281074
Its worth $250 on the 3.5 firmware anything above that its worth $200 because they break EASILY
>>
>>332280984

I have severe fear when doing upgrades to things. Rationally I know it is an easy process likely, but I'm afraid of bricking it and losing my Monster Rancher 2 save data
>>
>>332281150
You will not be able to earn trophies and it will give you an alert about using a different account even if you use the same one if you back up the saves.

Price of not being able to cheat for trophies.
>>
>What are the do's and don'ts.
do: it
don't: fuck up
>>
>>332281213

Wait, I can't use my account that I'm using now on my PS3 and PSTV? I don't really give a shit about trophies, they are fucking lame, but I would like to still use my account.
>>
Op, seriously, sell that thing and buy a superslim PS3 and a PS2, emulate the PS1. You can play phisical media with PS1 and PS2 emulators as well.

To upgrade the drive, backup using the built in backup tool, then replace the drive with any other laptop hard drive of bigger size. You'll have to reinstall the firmware which needs an USB drive and the downloaded firmwre file. There is literally no chance of bricking, even if you somehow fail to reinstall the firmware you can stick in the older hard drive and try again later. After you reflash the firmware you can restore your backup and you will have all your shit back. It's retard proof really.
>>
>>332281336
No please reread what I wrote.

If you back up the saves and try to use them even on the same account on a different hard drive/PS3 it will give you a message along the lines of "You're using a different account you can not earn trophies."
>>
>>332281410
I backed up my PS3 and transferred the data at least 3 times and I never ever had that happen to me.
>>
>>332280984
>it takes 5 minutes
to be fair it's a bit more complicated than that if you want to transfer all your data, but yeah it's still easy as fuck
>>
>>332281391

I don't know why I'd sell my PS3 that plays all of the Playstation games that I've collected since I was a kid. And emulating a game like Monster Rancher doesn't really give me the same feeling.
>>
This seems like as good a place as any.

My PS3 YLOD'd with a disc inside. The trick to get the disc out won't work.

Will the disc be fine if I reflow the console? I don't wanna, like, boil it.
>>
>>332281781
when you reflow it you apply heat strictly to the mother board and nothing else, if you do it properly the disc drive should be completely removed at this point
>>
>>332282149
You mean I've gotta tear it apart?

Fuck man, I don't wanna do that
>>
>>332282312
yeah it's a pain in the ass
>>
>>332283183
Is there any easier way to fix it?
>>
>>332283708
paying someone else to do it
>>
File: 1398158394182.jpg (13 KB, 237x233) Image search: [Google]
1398158394182.jpg
13 KB, 237x233
>>332283954
All I wanted was to remove the disc

Literally I discovered it was kill because I tried taking the disc out. I didn't even want to use the damn thing.

Why did this have to happen
>>
>Have reflowed my PS3 phat twice
>Only issue I have with it these days is the occasion file system error that crops up from the hard drive deciding it doesn't want to play nice with Sony's shitty drive controller
>Became my emulation appreciation station for when I'm house-sitting for friends or family
Best money I spent on a console last gen was on that "broken" PS3. I paid like $300 for it because it was stuck in the update loop.
>>
>>332284097
>All I wanted was to remove the disc
You should still be able to do this even if it has a ylod. Try different combinations of holding down the power and/or eject button (maybe even the power switch on back). I had the same problem and I just kept messing around with it until it finally came out.
>>
>>332284617
I've done a lot of messing with it. It turns on, the fans kick up, and then the light goes yellow. Every time.
>>
>>332284705
turn the power switch on the back off, hold down the eject button while it's off, while you're still holding the eject button switch the power back on
>>
>>332284870
I have done that.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.