[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Post good JRPGs Preferably from the ps2 era. SH2 was great.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 165
Thread images: 18
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 282x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 282x400
Post good JRPGs

Preferably from the ps2 era.

SH2 was great. I beat for the first time a couple of months ago and the characters were great. I loved that Yuri wasn't a faggot and talked shit to the villains. The battle system was enjoyable but I felt that most of the magic was kinda useless.

Solid ost as well.
>>
>>332250915
Playing the first one right now. Heard that alot of people skip it but so far my impressions are Identical to yours
>>
File: 20160327_213232.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20160327_213232.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
Good taste anon, PS2 had lots of nice rpgs
>>
Suikoden III/V
Xenosaga trilogy
Persona 3 FES
Persona 4
Digital Devil Saga 1-2
>>
>>332251691
Not OP but first one is pretty good, but believe me as someone who played them in order you will be amazed out how much higher the budget is for the second

It's not a triple-A game or anything but god damn did they polish it up
>>
>>332251691
People that skip the first game are retarded beyond words.
>>
>>332251926
Xenosaga 1 and 3 were good

2 was shit, I have no idea what they were thinking

>>332251691

>skipping the first game
>when the second is a direct sequel

stop this meme
>>
MS Saga: A New Dawn
>>
>>332252094
OP said good JRPGs.
>>
>>332252094
I really wanted to like it but that game was garbage.
>>
>not playing Koudelka before SH
>>
>>332251926
>Suikoden past 2

Forgettable.

>Xenosaga

1 was ok. 2 was crap. 3 was slightly less crap.

>Persona 3

MEMES

>Persona 4

Forgettable.

>DDS

Not mainstream enough.
>>
>>332250915
Silent Hill 2 is not an RPG though.
>>
>>332252568
>Not mainstream enough

The fuck kind of dismissal is that?
>>
>>332250915
I hate to break it to you but PS2 era was heavily Action-RPG oriented.

traditional JRPGs were too far in between.

If you're asking for good ARPGs in the PS2, you're not trying hard enough to look.

It's harder to find bad PS2 era ARPGs than good ones. Unlike with PS1, which was riddled with good-ish JRPGs and sub-par ARPGs.
>>
>>332253120
This is nonsense. There were plenty of turn-based JRPGs on PS2.
>>
>>332252568
Suikoden III and V are both better than 1.

And yes, P3 does get targeted by memeshitters. Thankfully it's still a good game in spite of idiotic "edgy" and "waifu" memes.

And what does mainstream or not have to do with quality?
>>
>>332252685
DDS is technically the core game.

But to mainstream gamers, DDS is backseat to Persona.
>>
>>332250915
I LOVED the first one even tho tecnically was horrifying and most characters design was terrible and sometimes plain retarded/stereotyped as hell.
When the second came out, I had a blast...i literally CRIED and died inside at a certain cutscene(you know wich one im talking about).
The only downside for the game was the rushed second dvd, the villains motivation(not spoiling anything, but even if the idea is cool, dramatic and everything the final boss is so rushed you can barely understands his motivation. Should have had a LOT more space, see "thefucking 2nd dvd is too rushed") and the town music. Literally, only ONE town music is retarded, expecially when the said track is obviously fits only the FIRST town encountered(its called "twilight town", for gods sake). Also, some party members are completely ignored and have no relevant stories or personalities-i blame development time and funds, as usual, but still the problem persists.
>>
>>332253210
>Suikoden III and V are both better than 1.
Not traditionally.

Are they bad games? No. Are they good JRPGs? Not really.

>And what does mainstream or not have to do with quality?

Answer your own question. I never claimed such a thing.
>>
>>332251926
>Suikoden III/V
Good
>Xenosaga trilogy
>Persona 3 FES
>Persona 4
>Digital Devil Saga 1-2
Garbage.
>>
>>332253221
DDS is just as much of a spinoff as Persona.
>>
>>332253509
And SMT is just a spinoff of MT. There is no such thing as "mainline". That's a meme created by Atlus USA.
>>
>>332253221
Digital Devil Saga is not the mainline series. It is a spinoff just like Persona.

Digital Devil Story/Megami Tensei/Shin Megami Tensei is the main.

And your post still failed to explain your point.
>>
>>332253602
Wrong.
>>
>>332253640
>some random shitty books
>mainline

Good joke.
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 283x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 283x400
>>332251691
>>332251691
OP here. I played the first game as well and really enjoyed it as well. I thought gameplay-wise it played just fine. I really dig The whole aesthetic of the SH series.

I own the third game as well but I haven't tried it yet. All I know is that it's basically a whole different story with no relation to the first two games.

Karin is best girl.
>>
>>332250915
yuri was even funnier and more of a dick in the first game, it was fucking awesome. SH and SH:C were fucking fun as hell, even if you don;t like the slight tone change in the 2nd game, the aeriel demon fmv fight scene(s) were badass. the fighting system was pretty much the same but you had stronger transforms so it got a little easy.
>>
>>332253776
>books

Those are all games.

You're either a complete retard or a troll.
>>
Would've give it ten out of ten if he fucked his mother
>>
>>332253864
Digital Devil Story and MT are not two separate entities. When someone acts like they are, it's to differentiate between the games and the books.
>>
>>332250915
I started playing the first one and really enjoyed it up until the one part
I think it had something to do with a labyrinth and splitting up into two groups
then when each group finished the labyrinth you had to team up and go through it again with everyone
at the time i said fuck that not going through it a 3rd time.
Now whenever I feel like playing it again I'm at my usual dilemma of
>do I start from my old save file or start from the beginning
>>
>>332253807
The third game isn't completely unrelated. Malice is a big plot point, and the usual mainstays appear along with the best Valentine sibling.
>>
I have no idea if it's really good since I never got to play, but Wild Arms Alter Code F is a remake of a great PS1 game. Anyone know how it compares to the original?
>>
>>332253210
>Suikoden III and V are both better than 1.
opinions aint facts breh, the only thing 3 had going for it were the implications of the next game getting real fucking serious with Harmonia but fuck that right in the ass, it could have been one of the greatest series but the writer went split. fucking shit man how infuriating. the battle system in 3 was shit too but gendo and a couple of other characters were cool. .... suiko 3 truly is a land of contrasts, overshadowed by the 2 titans on ps1. it needed the proper followup sequel that was ripped out of our hands instead. Suikoden 5 was fairly alright if you can get over the MC miming his silent MC character (why??) and Muh childhood bodyguard. The knight team were fucking bro as shit.
>>
>>332253853
Shame 3 ruined the tone further.

>SH:Dark and slightly campy
>SH2:Campy and slightly dark
>SH3:Campy and an extra serving of camp on a platter Mein Kampf
>>
>>332254275
Replay the first game. It's incredibly goofy.
>>
>>332254185
it's alright , it helps that the battles dont look like triangle cardboard breaking and numbers and more like regular rpg fighting but it didnt charm me like the original (i have both so yeah) but it's got solid gameplay and the is still pretty good for what it is. the only wild arms game i have that was hard to play through was 4, yuri lowenthal ust shit all over it too much and you get tired of hearing it. the battle system was alright and got modified and improved in 5 though. The plots of 4 and 5 were way more generic than 1-3 though so you win some you lose some, new interesting battle system, generic jrpg that can become a slog causing the death of the franchise.
>>
>>332254275
yeah the first game was almost leaning towards horror but yuri was a smartass dick so it kept it balanced, then ya they toned it down more and more and now its dead. i never got the 3rd game and apparently i didnt miss anything.
>>
>>332254849
That first village you visit in SH1 was creepy as fuck. It had nice music though.
>>
>>332254381
i wouldn't go that far.. goofy was the point where you have your magic dog playing silent snake to do some jail break, and you get a russian loli princess for reasons i dont remember. the one thing that managed to keep part 2 strongly in my favor was how badass the demon models and shit were, man that shit looke dgood.
>>
>>332254381
Sure it is, but it's certainly more dark than campy overall. You don't get a great deal of comedy relief injected until Roger shows up.

Then we go full Joachim, Magimel and stud cards in the next game.
>>
>>332253807
>>332254132
Got the third one even tho i knew it was bad-completely different team means bad news.
And OH BOY ITS IS BAD
Characters are plain as cardboard, main charcater fusion is just "lel see fanservice", plot is retarded and you graps it after 1 hour, combat is copypasted from sh2 but a lot worse...I even lost the fucking dvd at the last dungeon and never bothered to buy it again.

Also, all of my votes for Bara stupid vampire. I loved him so much, even more because i fought him in the first game. I just hoped till the end to see his bro from the first game.
>>
>>332255007
and that graveyard that you aren't familiar with once you get started. my favorite part was the show down with the hong kong / taiwan villain guy because by that point i was like alright this is big trouble in little china. this is fucking great i love this ridiculous ass game.
>>
>>332255128
That's because most of the characters in 1 were bland and underdeveloped.

Keith is definitely as goofy as Joachim.
>>
i'd be happy if they just gave me shadow hearts 1.5 with more yuri banter and no love interests. just some freaks you pick up, demons, and your shape shifting smart ass doing some shit with underground demonologists in the oriental area
>>
>>332250915

I liked both 1 and 2.
SH2 finally got up to speed to the PS2 graphics and gameplay potential and the story is really good but SH1 has better characters and atmosphere to me. It's darker.

Xenosaga 1 is pretty good too...
Star Ocean 3 i really liked, plot twist and all.

.hack games... those where great. I don't usually grind but i loved to go to areas 10 levels above me harangue a mob and see if i could survive.

Radiata Stories is pretty good too... Rogue Galaxy was, while generic, pretty enjoyable as well.

FF X has some good things about it.
>>
File: Smug_191c79_5762907.jpg (20 KB, 379x364) Image search: [Google]
Smug_191c79_5762907.jpg
20 KB, 379x364
>>332253445
>>Suikoden III/V
>Good
>>
>Ctrl+F
>Rogue Galaxy
>0 Results

but why
>>
>>332250915
1 was better
2 went to far into campiness.
>>
>>332255243
Yes, Keith is as campy as Pro-Wrestler turned Hero of the Night, Grand Papillon.
Nevermind the whole wrestling schtick and the Great Question.
And the slightly amusing monologue everytime he finds an object big enough to hurl at enemies.

SH2 had better combat, but SH1 had the better cast and overall game.
>>
the hell is campy
>>
>>332255792
He is. Go rewatch the cutscene where he gets the magic demon sword tyfing or whatever the fuck it's called.

>SH1 had the better cast

Not even remotely true.
>>
>>332255786
2 is still worth playing despite the camp.
3 was a step too far.

They even missed out on the opportunity of letting us see Halley and Koudelka again in 3.
Hey maybe even see Edward again, but nope.
>>
>>332250915
Xenosaga (II is heavily underrated)
Suikoden
Lost Odyssey
Resonance of Fate
Koudelka
Shadow Hearts
Neptunia
SMT
DDS
Persona
>>
>>332255675

Rogue Galaxy was a bore.
>>
>>332255792
Big problem of SH2 is that a HUGE part of the game-the first dvd basically-is filler. the villain is amazing but is henchmen are fucking terrible and clues to the real final boss are almost non-existant. he/she(lets not spoil)should really have had a bigger presence.

Also, joachim is best husband and bro for life.
>>
xenosaga man so much waste with some actually awesome characters and scenes.. the first 2 games usually burned out the player before they could see any of the cutscenes and villains and shit and by that time you ust wish it was over. Whoever managed to make xenosaga 3 radically and incredibly imroved fun and playable needs to get some sort of award "this is how you salvage a fucking disaster". Yeah it sucks that xenosaga 3 had to merge 2 games into 1 and cut short albedo/rubido's plotline and then kind of half ass fanservice final boss Not-Fei which whatever, nothing matters since they never followed it up and it will be left in space dust for eternity. man i bet xenosaga burned a lot of fucking money. At least we got 3 of the best themes in video games out of the final game.
>>
>>332256047
this desu
I can never make it an hour into the game
so boring
>>
>>332253445
good relative to standard fare, poor relative to their superior predecessors. At least 5's battle system wasn't complete shit like 3
>>
>>332256104
>clues to the real final boss are almost non-existant

That's because he didn't have a reason to be the antagonist until near the end of the game.
>>
>>332255928
a bit self aware, sometimes overacted to the point of ridiculousness.
>>
>>332256234
>poor relative to their superior predecessors
Hey try hard, Suikoden 1 is 12 hour generic piece of shit full of horrible writing, rock paper scissors warfare and shit gameplay.
>>
>>332250915
>good JRPGs
Is there such a thing?
>>
>>332256023
>Xenosaga (II is heavily underrated)
desu spare yourself the battle system, watch the cutscenes even with the butchered character models, the story and scenes were fucking fantastic, the rubedo albedo finale was great and the space pope fight and finale scene also ruled. too bad the best way to level up in that game was to grind using some gear near the space popes final area so you can get exp while avoiding having to fuck with the battle system which made every trash fight long as hell.
>>
>>332251709
Man. To have a Radiata Story with a revamped battle system.
>>
File: Saga10.jpg (51 KB, 350x500) Image search: [Google]
Saga10.jpg
51 KB, 350x500
Minstrel Song doesn't get nearly enough recognition.

I also really enjoyed Growlanser 2 and BoF: Dragon Quarter.
>>
>>332254275
Don't forget Koudelka, which was entirely dark. IIRC the game was even supposed to outright be a survival horror until the company screwed over the team.
>>
>>332256104
I'm not sure if that filler issue is a pacing problem or just how front loaded a bunch of sidequest bullshit is.

>>332256289
It wasn't exactly out of nowhere so they didn't pull it out of their asses but it was still a little anti-climactic after everything that had just happened. The game had plateau'd at that point so rather than a continuing crescendo we got a pretty flat finish to an otherwise great game.
>>
>>332256487
uh guy the battle system is a little more barebones than the 2nd game but the story was just fine, touching father and son on opposing sides of a war theme was presented well, with pahns duel, gremios sacrifice, elf village genocide. It wasn't suikoden 2 but it was the blue print, that shit was early ps1 and the translation was as passable as you could ask for unless you wanted some woolsey? as for the "war" battles well yeah those were shit but who gives a fuck they were like 5% of the game.
>>
>>332256717
>the game was even supposed to outright be a survival horror until the company screwed over the team.
Yeah, the weapon durability really nailed that one. Shame that bullshit sword at the end is indestructible.
>>
>>332256957
i never even saw a koudelka box for sale. it looks like improved sprites taken from tecmos deception or some shit. the rooms look atmospheric as fuck tho. how was the gameplay
>>
>>332256872
>touching father and son on opposing sides of a war theme was presented well
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It was just retarded melodrama. Suikoden 1 is a shit game. And you are a try hard making excuses for it.
>>
>>332251965
But how's the third?
>>
>>332256487
if you want to talk about horrible writing, or rather western butchery, persona 1 is the MVP on all fronts. And still somehow guido was a fresh villain, the first one to stop giving a shit after gaining absolute power instead of destroying for no reason. That scene in the flower petal room was pretty great if you GENEROUSLY excuse the fucking awful translations going on.
>>
>>332257063
>how was the gameplay
Pretty awful. No joke. I played through it after SH because I only went back for the full story of the monastery.
I don't remember a great deal, but I will say it was worth it.

There's no huge links or anything, it's basically just how shit went down that day.
>>
>>332257198
>liking a game is tryhard now
haha okay stay in school kid. See you after highschool gets out for summer.
>>
>>332257282
>Persona 1 is shit
Yes, and? I played that garbage for 2 hours when I was a kid and forgot it existed till I played Persona 3. Which also sucks.
>>
>>332257373
hot opinions mate, never before seen.
>>
>>332257510
Hey faggot, you are the one you replied to me about a shit game I didn't even mention.
>>
>>332257063
It plays differently from Shadow Hearts and is honestly kind of weird. It uses turn-based combat on a grid system, using spells enough levels them up, and you have a lot of stats to invest in, but also balance to a degree. The atmosphere and story are phenomenal though.
>>
>>332257531
nobody cares /10
>>
>>332257373
>Persona 3. Which also sucks.
It does, but I did like that I didn't have full party control. I really liked the extra strategic elements it developed like auto battle to force a melee attack and having to seriously plan my own Persona changes.
>>
lower rent gamestop /10 . It's not hard to do well in the ps2 dept for games if you head hunted gamestop during ps3's release days. so many games so cheap. only one i regret is unlimited saga. No fucking idea what is going on in that game. the game has so many hidden mechanics they should have just wrot efuck you good luck in the manual and left it at that.
>>
>>332257748
>but I did like that I didn't have full party control.
You are an idiot then. There's nothing fun, strategic or even interactive about watching shit AI play the bad game for you.
>>
>>332257665
grid system like srpg or grid system like parasite even style?
>>
>>332256289
And thats a big issue. I mean, the final confronattion should be the climax to everything you grinde...i mean, playedand fought so far.
It was a bit(a lot)disappointing.
>>332256746
Sidequest bullshit, mostly.
But it was nice because even if the story wasnt really progressive you always had some moment of characters development so you never felt "meh, time wasted".
>>332257278
terrible. Different team, the game sucks. HARD.
>>332257307
>>332257063
games' meh, but the comic-wich is a direct sequel to koudelka BUT set before SH is pretty good-like, really good.
>>
>>332257063
The gameplay is full of good ideas that are all executed poorly. Sacnoth was a pretty inexperienced developer at the time and it shows.

I still enjoyed the game, though.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
Anybody played Makai Kingdom? I'm interested in it.

I enjoy the disgaea games just to let you know.
>>
>>332258173
its good, but Disgaea is another different league.
Also plot is vague at best and got me bored after a while. there are better nippon ichi games.
>>
>>332257854
>unlimited saga
I finished Laura route, fuck going through that bullshit again to do any of the others.

Nice game though.

>>332257930
The game was shit, the added strategy that it forced was something I did like though. It wasn't good, I liked it. Being able to pull off some of the absurd bullshit you could DESPITE your retarded party was amazing.
>>
>>332258125
>the final confronattion should be the climax to everything you grinde...i mean, playedand fought so far.

Not necessarily. It's a nice change of pace compared to most games.
>>
>>332258125
Wouldn't have a name for that comic would you?
Can't search at work
>>
>>332258312
Hmmm. Guess I'll pass on it then. Could you recommend me one of those better NIS games you're talking about.
>>
>>332258173
Yeah i own it mate, it's pretty wild. theres a shitton of unique mechanics you can abuse. It's ust all around a weird game that feels like they were trying as much crazy shit as possible before making their next disgaea or something, but hearing DIO bitching about being turned into a book and the sheer insanity of the whole game is worth it if you like srpgs like disgaea and phantom brave.
>>
>>332258330
how in the fuck did you figure anything out at all? all i see is , pick your attack then theres roullette then maybe i hit then i get hit back super hard, leveling is vague as fuck and theres noway to legit grind so you've got limited time to test shit. Isn't laura the little girl? i heard her route is like one of the hardest ones.
>>
>>332258654
nothing feels better than riding a mech with huge move stat then jumping out of it and moving even further and then killing shit. i love abusing buildings and mechs to shoot your characters around.
>>
>>332258783
I think the little girl was Judy or something. Laura was the middle aged blonde bint. One of the easier ones iirc.

It took a long time and a lot of restarts. Those maps and slot machines were fucking hell.
>>
File: 1441312391384.jpg (89 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
1441312391384.jpg
89 KB, 650x366
>betamax Kato from the first game returns and is now an obsessive brooding badass with magic and a killer cape
>that whole weird segment where you play as Ouka and the apes

I had nothing but good things to say about this. Really loved this series, even 3 had its moments.
>>
>>332259054
seriously tho theres no way those slots are 1 to 1 reaction time. everytime i try to play the game i just wander the woods then beat up or die to spiders and look at my grid build and wonder what the hell any of that shit even does.
>>
>>332258585
La pucelle was nice, phantom brave had a mature and sometimes cruel plot(even if the freerange mechanic is clumsy), disgaea 2 is good but the plot is meh compared to the first one(the gameplay is more polished tho)...

>>332258554
I think its literally called Koudelka, but i cant search it now because im at work too lol.
Its a 3 volumes short manga, it was pretty good if i remember correctly.
>>
>>332259162
They definitely weren't 1-1, I do remember having a habit of aiming 2-3 slots ahead (or just aiming for a decent block of the same)
>>
File: JRPGs-PS2.jpg (501 KB, 1600x980) Image search: [Google]
JRPGs-PS2.jpg
501 KB, 1600x980
>>
>>332259228
La pucelle is pretty cool, i wish we got the upgraded version that was released on psp tho. Damn priere is so thick.
>>
>>332258009
Haven't played Parasite Eve, but looked it up just now. Koudelka's grid is more like an SRPG one.
>>
>>332259371
>Legaia 2
My wallet knows your pain
>>
>>332258516
The only thing that bugged me about the villain is that his absurd power seemed like a bit of an asspull. Sure, he learned some magic after the first game and he's extremely determined, but I didn't really follow how he was suddenly bending gods to his will and reshaping reality.

The ending was amazing regardless, though.
>>
>>332259323
fucking horseshit who greenlighted that game ! i bet having the SaGa branding suckered tons of RS fans straight up and they got fleeced.
>>
>>332259561
>being yuri and princess carrying your future mother from the past with her giant breasts up in yoru grill.

rough life for old friend yuri.
>>
>>332259561
yep, totally agree on everything.
I fucking cried so much.
10/10 would ̶s̶u̶f̶f̶e̶r̶ play again.
Even tho we all know we lost a piece of our souls when Yuri tries to resurrect alice GOD FUCKING DAMMIT WHY MY POOR HEART
>>
File: 1387216973042.jpg (14 KB, 304x305) Image search: [Google]
1387216973042.jpg
14 KB, 304x305
>>332259371
>Dark Cloud
>Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
>Wild Arms 3
>.Hack

Goddamnit anon, you made me feel.
>>
>>332259858
Fuck you, SH1 Good End all day!
>>
>>332259561
>his absurd power seemed like a bit of an asspull

Why? He got his hands on the Émigré Manuscript.
>>
SH1: demons and shit, some crazy scientist, fucking chinese demonologists, and mafia, shits bonkers!
SH2: i think i want to fuck my mother
>>
>>332256047

Still better than FF XII though.
>>
>>332259557
I thought Legaia 2 was okay. The story was painfully generic and the characters were dry. I enjoyed the music and the battle system was kinda fun.

Good thing I only spent $12 on it.
>>
>>332259458
Pretty sure that got fan translation
>>
>>332259371
>soul nomad
That evil route man, i was expecting an evil route but i wasn't expecting that evil route.
>>
>>332260047
I had it worse, I only heard good things about the first but never played it so I picked it up.

Some things were neat, but overall it was pretty bad. I had some fun just coming up with combo chains though.
>>
>>332260104
yeah it did, i played it and its got a lot of QoL changes, it's a much tighter game mechanically. aint played the demon overlord route tho.
>>
>>332259957
yeah, but it feels so sudden and..rushed. I think they really got low on funds near the end, it happens to so fucking many jrpgs. FF IX, lost odissey, all of them got crippled hard in the end section.
>>332259963
FF XII was a mistake. I couldnt ever bore to finish it. FF tactics advance is so much better than that piece of garbage, you really feel the loss off sakaguchi.

On the other hand, im the only one who played Lost odissey? AWESOME game, just rushed in the end(the most important plot turns are DESCRIBED AS TEXT IN SUB MISSION GOD DAMMIT).

Also, im the only one that really hates any "tales of" after symphonya from gamecube? they all have uninteresting plot, horrible character, lazy combat and literally, they have nothing good. i played vesperia and it was the worse waste of my time EVER.
>>
>>332260267
Oh, and also, Nier.
That game is asbolute shit because its a fucking alpha released as a completed game, but the atmoshpere, the characters, the plot hold a special place in my heart.
It made me feel emotions i tought a videogame(and more specifically, a jrpg)couldnt give me anymore.
>>
>>332260267
>it feels so sudden and..rushed

No it doesn't. It's not like he says "oh btw i'm evil now ;^)" and BAM, final dungeon.
>>
>>332260267
I don't think 12 could have been saved, theres no way square would have let matsuno put a matsuno plot in the mainline, the poor children. also fuck off with that gambit shit FFX turn based would have even been better than autopilot. does "innovate" translate into make shittier in japanese?
>>
>>332260460
maybe I have to play again then, its been a few years since i last touched it.
I got it asap when released and played a second and a third time after every year, so my meory is a bit blurry.
>>
>>332260267
The zodiac version improved things a bit though
>>
>>332259371
>all this patrician taste

you will go far in life, anon
>>
>>332260267
>On the other hand, im the only one who played Lost odissey?
Loved it, expcet the bonus dungeons and some of the extra nonsense at the end.
>Bonus dungeons
Fuck that encounter rate and general encounter length while trying to explore/do puzzles.
>bonus nonsense
Actually, in one of those bonus dungeons was key for the fighting pit thing. Opened all chests, no key. So followed a guide, EXACTLY, to find it. The chest it's supposed to be in is open.
So I got locked out of finishing the extras. Pissed me off so I'll never play it again. Was great though.

>Also, im the only one that really hates any "tales of" after symphonya from gamecube?
Similar boat, love Symphonia and Abyss, it's Vesperia and onwards that did it for me. Can't stand it anymore, especially the newew weapons synth/skill synth bullshit.
>>
>>332252167
>>332252228
What's so bad about MS Saga?
>>
>>332259371
What console is the cat for?
>>
>>332260628
you're still stuck with a half finished story due to writer walking out or getting sick or whatever and then suddenly we change tones from political intrigue to invisible talking ghosts woooooaaahh. i dont even know what the fuck was going on there.
>>
>>332260530
There's at least two dungeons and a lot of plot important shit that goes on between him announcing his intentions and actually going through with it. The party doesn't figure out what he's even planning until later on.
>>
>>332260731
It's mediocre at best. Bosses rely too heavily on patterns, customization becomes less important later on, and the plot/characters are bad even for the genre.
>>
>>332260520
XIi has a lot of problems; first is the main character-balthier-declassed as a party member to make space for "im even worse than tidus" because MUH KIDS HAVE TO PROJECT THEMSELVES BRAH; then the combat. its incredible how lazy they are.
they fucking took combat system from a MULTIPLAYER GAME(ff XI), worsened it and added a shitty IA system.
its like they wanted it to fail.
>>332260761
you just gave me a good reason to play again, because my memory is blank.
Also, i would have loved so much the towns to be better.
Apart from the first ones the other ones are super rushed-like florence-and consist only of one map.
But here im just selfish because i wanted to see my city bigger.
>>
>>332260267
My only issue with it was that he got wrecked by the penultimate boss but was somehow tough enough to be the final boss. I know that the location itself powered him up, but still. Until you start the fight he feels more like a falling action than a crescendo.
>>
to FF 12's credit , they did manage to scrounge their last 2 male characters with testosterone for it.
>>
>>332260950
i controlled basch or someone like him manually in protest. not like it mattered since nothing was challenging but i pretended i was playing the game, and that counts for something damnit.
>>
File: image.jpg (277 KB, 1110x1580) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
277 KB, 1110x1580
>>332260267
I think Abyss and Vesperia are great.

Tales started to go downhill after Vesperia in my opinion.
>>
the 4 hour or so long tower climb thru the same exact rooms fighting skeletons was the final seal of shit on XII, hard to find a better example of padding than that shithole tower anywhere.
>>
>>332260950
>you just gave me a good reason to play again, because my memory is blank.
I played not too long ago (maybe 6 months) and the last quarter of the game leaves little impression (outside of huge happnenings).

It's the most recent part I played, I've played the game SOOOO many times and that section of it is always hazy.

You know what, I think I'm ready to blame all the sidequest nonsense again.

I need to play through it and not do all that shit for a change since it breaks up so much pacing.
>>
speaking of weird tedious rpgs. Magna carta ... mmm qte for regular attack, you read my mind that is exactly what i wanted.
the girls in the game are pure sex though.
>>
>>332261680
Tears of Blood?

Memorise which button combo is which element.
Take notice of what element each enemy uses.

Go counter.

I actually enjoyed that one quite a bit.
>>
File: koudelka cover.jpg (25 KB, 280x280) Image search: [Google]
koudelka cover.jpg
25 KB, 280x280
i think it's good at least
story is surprisingly decent, and there definitely is horror and sickening stuff to think about.
the voice acting is as good as you could get for the time,
>>
File: Jeb_Niglas.jpg (25 KB, 222x301) Image search: [Google]
Jeb_Niglas.jpg
25 KB, 222x301
>>332262194
also just like shadow hearts, some of the enemies are pretty horrifying to look at.
>>
Baten Kaitos, really fun combat system because it involved building card decks. Great characters and story too.
>>
>>332259371
>Dark alliance 1
>not the superior 2
The rest of that stuff made me super jelly though, especially .hack, been wanting a physical of that for fucking yonks.
>>
>>332262479
Which one, original or origins?
>>
>>332264357
original
>>
>>332262194
>>332262474
The monsters in Koudelka creeped me out the most. They didn't even have names or explanations for them, they were just absolute mysteries of horror and revulsion.
>>
>>332264413
oh cool, yeah both were really great, I liked origins better though. The fact that all the characters only had one common deck made things easier to micromanage. That being said it did limit things in terms of healing and card combos.
>>
>>332264608
>They didn't even have names or explanations for them
Lingering essence of hate and malice from the hundreds of tortured thieves, prostitutes and orphans used by patrick as sacrifices to bring back his beloved.
>>
File: SH-C_Karin1.jpg (15 KB, 181x478) Image search: [Google]
SH-C_Karin1.jpg
15 KB, 181x478
I liked all 3 shadow heart games, but the judgement ring really pissed me off. since it recorded your success rate and even gave you a powerful item for doing good at it I autistically forced myself to get 100% success with it. even though I cheated and used save states, it still made battles take 3 times as long. by the time I got to the third game I just gave up and put it on practice mode.

>my dick when this costume
>>
>>332265254
Sure, we knew why they existed and had a rough idea of the origins, but the how was a mystery. For example, what the hell is that little three-legged thing with a cyclopean eye on a chicken neck that looks like a baby? What is that headless torso with glass sticking out of it, the severed arm that's tied backward to the other arm, and the weird shit for its legs?

The sound effects were gruesome too.
>>
>>332260520
>I don't think 12 could have been saved

To be fair it was impossible to live up to the expectations of a main FF on Ivalice.

>>332260628

While this helped they should have removed Vaan and Penelo from the game too. The story suffered them a fucking lot.

Would have been better to just focus on Balthier or Basch or even Ashe because admitedly Ivalice had potential and the whole narrative with the style of Tactics could have worked.

The tactics system is fucked up though... who ever thought that was a good idea? i mean, come on. KH had a real time that worked, SO had a real time that worked, heck, CT had a real time that worked... and they can't pull it out on any modern FF? That's bullshit.
>>
>Radiata Stories
>Ark the Lad: Twilight of the Spirit
>Grandia 2

These are usually what come to mind
>>
>>332257278
I had fun with it. I don't really get what all of the hate is about. It goes for a very different tone than the other two. The first two had more comedy and bizarre shit than most JRPGs do but the third game goes damn near full on comedy. The battle system is still good and the characters are still a lot of fun. I'd still recommend it.
>>
>>332251709
FUCKIN Gladius. Loved that game. Horribly easy to beat but the mini games with attacks felt nice.

Also large Centurions laughing manically as you one-shot some wild lands savage.
>>
I literally just got done modding an old PS2 and needed games for it.
Is there anything like FFT?
>>
>>332267262
maybe disgaea or stella deus but they are nothing compared to fft
>>
>>332267262
FFT isn't the end all be all of SRPGs. It's pretty mediocre and dated.
>>
File: 490277.png (206 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
490277.png
206 KB, 400x400
Best Snes/DS rpg
Either this or romancing saga 2
>>
>>332256717
No, that was because of internal disputes.
>Internal quarrels within Sacnoth had led to a compromised product. Kikuta had wanted to develop an action-based battle system, citing Resident Evil as a source of inspiration. However, his employees were adamant about releasing something closer to the kind of games that Square had been making.
>>
>>332269468
Wasn't it still halfway into development along the survival horror route before the change strong-armed it?

I'll admit, when I watched a friend play it on his PSP my eybrows went way up in confusion when the opening cutscene transitioned to the grid. The gameplay turned out to still be kind of fun though.
>>
>>332268185
>>
File: 2016-03-17 04.09.08.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-17 04.09.08.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>332268185
shieeet I finish 3 like, 12 days ago

I'm still on the beginning and shit's amazing so far
Thread replies: 165
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.