[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this the best Total War game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 239
Thread images: 45
File: Shogun 2.jpg (718 KB, 1000x1413) Image search: [Google]
Shogun 2.jpg
718 KB, 1000x1413
Is this the best Total War game?
>>
>>332230913
Yes.
>>
>>332230913
not this
>realm divide
nofun mechanic
>>
>>332231026
Every fucking time
>>
>no option to play as commodore perry and his black ship units
>>
File: mygod.jpg (22 KB, 444x322) Image search: [Google]
mygod.jpg
22 KB, 444x322
>>332230913
i like it because i'm a total pleb at total war games(can't even beat them on easy) and the small map made it easier to understand what was going on

playing rome 2 there's literally like 90 factions and two continents going on at once, I can't deal with that shit

>tfw despite being an autist in multiple genres I will literally never EVER be good at total war games
>>
>>332231120
it's not super hard; you rush your 12 territories then spend 10-20 turns preparing for realm divide

but the having to stop your war machine at its height for those 10-20 turns is the problem
>>
>>332230913
Medievil 2 or Rome 1 actually
>>
>>332231429
Medieval 1 actually
>>
>>332230913
In my opinion, yes.
>>
I like FotS better. Both are amazing for coop though
>>
>>332230913
I love empire but it's so fucking bad. I wish they made an empire 2 where the units actually did what you fucking told them.
>>
>>332231805
>can't pursue routing units in co-op after a battle
it's shit for co-op mate
>>
>>332231831
Or just fix the AI in general. Modders have been doing it for most of the games.
>>
File: 457833211122.png (2 MB, 1928x1551) Image search: [Google]
457833211122.png
2 MB, 1928x1551
>>332230913

Its the second best TW game

Attila's overall the best tbhq
>>
>>332232061
Modders can't fix AI, only do tweaks to things to make them perform better.
>>
When will the Warhammer meme end?
>>
>>332231026
desu its better than the snowball effect the previous titles had
>>
>>332232061
Yeah that would be great as well but I'm more frustrated by them not following commands, especially when charging. Routing is a fucking nightmare.
>>
>>332230913
shogun 1 imo
>>
Total Wars are all shit. Horrible unit control and A.I. Shogun 2s seemed like it was the worst in that dept.
>>
>>332231026
Realm Divide is fine now. Close allies generally stick with you. It was shit at launch because allies you've had for 90% of the game would drop you like a sack of shit when Realm Divide happened.

Atilla is best tho tbqh.
>>
>>332230913
FotS is pretty cool
>>
>>332230913
It's my favourite Total War game.

Anyone here play with mods? I'm really enjoying the Sekigahara Campaign and Hayabusa mods. Has anyone played those?
>>
>>332230913
Either that or Medieval 2
>>
>>332231805
>FotS
How the fuck do you play as a Shogunate there? Modern units are clearly superior and tech always forces you to increase your modernization or whatever. It's been ages since I played it.
>>
>>332233735
shogunate uses modern weaponry too you know
>>
>>332232094

Is any of the DLC worth picking up? The Charlemagne campaign seemed interesting, but I'm still going to wait for it to go on sale.
>>
>>332232304
Medieval 1 has much more replay value
>>
>>332234142

Yeah AoC is definitely worth picking up and its probably the best DLC campaign in the series

It has a bunch of story style missions with the factions and the campaign itself has a different feel from the grand campaign, that is you're building up an empire instead of just defending and surviving the Hunnic invasions

Other than that the empire of sands DLC is pretty good too
>>
>>332233892
What's the point then? I mean if you play as a Shogun then you should hate all those white devil things and stuff. Otherwise it would be just like Imperial side gameplay.
>>
>>332231026
>realm divide

It's annoying, but how is it any different than Rome 1's civil war mechanic?

By the time of Realm Divide, you're basically about to win anyway, so why wouldn't most other factions try to oppose your attempt to become shogun?

Could the diplomacy AI use more work? It's a Total War game. Of course the diplomacy AI is shit.

But overall Shogun 2 got back to melee combat, which is where the franchise has always shined, and then in the expansion pack brought back gunpowder combat and mixed it with melee in such a way that it produced the best gameplay of the franchise.

>>332233735
Shogunate is not medieval mode and Imperials are not civil war mode.

Both have access to the same basic units. Really the difference between the sides in the conflict is basically Shogunate is an old school despot that wants to keep the samurai families intact and not invade Korea, Imperials are anti-samurai and pro-national army and want to do all the stupid shit that lead Japan to getting nuked 100 years later, and the Republic is for people who want to completely go off the rails and take power for themselves.

Honestly the Republic is the least interesting option. No parliament to deal with or anything. Should at least try to make it seem like you're doing something novel in terms of Japanese political thought.
>>
>>332235634
I'm interested in gameplay variety only between Imperial and Shogunate. I mean with modernization you lose bonuses for traditional units and shit. If Shogunate won't stick to samurais then there's literally no difference in gameplay between those two.
>>
Fall of the Samurai was really fucking good.

Dat soundtrack too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ettjiCOgvQ
>>
File: 1387508610317.jpg (23 KB, 290x324) Image search: [Google]
1387508610317.jpg
23 KB, 290x324
>>332236023
But that's exactly where you're wrong.

Modernization is not a matter of ditching melee units for gunpowder units. While it is true that line infantry will utterly wreck samurai in a 1v1 on an open field, the fact is gunpowder units have numerous disadvantages that are quite simple to take advantage of.

For example, they fucking suck at melee combat, so if you can flank them or ambush them, they're fucked. They're doubly fucked against cavalry, and guess what the counter to modern saber cavalry is? Older spear cavalry. What's the earliest available counter to cavalry? Spear militia, which you want behind your line infantry at all times in case the enemy general decides to come charging in and wreck your shit.

What modernization does is, if memory serves, makes modern units cheaper and erases certain bonuses new samurai units get when trained.

So at first, line infantry is fucking expensive and samurai units cheaper in comparison, but as time goes on the line infantry are cheaper while the samurai's price remains the same. And a samurai trained at the beginning of the game is better than samurai trained at late game.

The difference between Shogunate and Imperials is never who uses samurai and who uses gatling guns, as both sides used modern and old styles of fighting and in fact the Shogunate was a little bit ahead in the tech race at first. Who built the first Jap railroads? Shogunate. Who had the first gatling guns? Shogunate.

Don't fucking believe Hollywood crap. That shit is a lie made to sell tickets.

And really, all strategies are viable in FotS. Samurai only armies, modernized armies, mixed. It's all good, but they have different playstyles and really I prefer a mixed as it let's you be flexible to whatever the enemy uses.
>>
Realm Divide essentially tries to recreate the battle of Sekigahara via mechanics. Considering the battle of Sekigahara was a key battle prior to the establishment of the Tokugawa Shogunate this seems quite reasonable.
>>
>>332230913
Yes. Would be Rome/Med 2 if not for distance from capital.

>>332231026
As above, realm divide is shit but nowhere near as shit as late game distance from capital in older games.

>>332232503
With the FLC and Empires of the Sand DLC it is actually really good, but climate change and razing make it a massive fucking pain.
Also I really want to play as the Huns but being a horde is really fucking shit. White Huns at least should be able to settle.
>>
>>332230913
nope. spartan, total warrior outclassed it every which way http://www.actionbutton.net/?p=387
>>
>>332230913
Rome 1 or Med 2

S2 has a real problem with siege mechanics
>>
>>332236701
Fully modernized is always better, I find, purely for the artillery and railways.
>>
File: Napoleon_header.jpg (223 KB, 700x280) Image search: [Google]
Napoleon_header.jpg
223 KB, 700x280
>ctrl+F
>search: napoleon t--
>0 results
This bums me out
>>
>>332237369
This, nothing like a line of 5 armstrong gun regiments
>>
sorry lad the series peaked at medieval 2
>>
>>332232316
Oh no, you haven't seen shitty AI and unit control until you've played Empire.
>Redcoat expeditionary force going into the interior of Canada to pacify the savages
>mop up small bands easy enough
>suddenly an army of heathens twice the size of my tired force
>preparing for some Last of the Mohikans shit
>the enormous army decides the best course of action is to run in circles while the recoats mercilessly fire at them
>more casualties from stray bullets then from the enemy
>>
>>332237054
>climate change and razing make it a massive fucking pain

I like climate change because it ups the ante continuously on a uniform level. If it was just "Huns fuck up everything: the Game", some factions like the Celts and any barbarian tribe who fights tier way to Spain would basically never interact with the Huns at all, and thus have a pretty easy game. Climate change makes sure you can't camp anywhere and that the Huns are not the only problem but a symptom of a larger global problem, which I think is the perfect choice for the game's themes. To a late Iron Age society, a few bad winters feels like the end of the world and it really sold the theory that the Barbarians which destroyed the Roman Empire had legitimate reasons for doing so.

Now, is it a little bit frustrating? Yeah, I think any mechanic you cannot do anything about is frustrating, but isn't that the point? What can the Romans or Goths do about the weather going bad? What can we today? If an Ice Age hit, what could we do other than mass migrate or try to survive in the bitter cold?

As for razing, you're right. The costs of resettlement are ludicrous and the AI almost never resettles anywhere and is prone to razing things for no reason. The worst is when you have a mission to take an entire province but one city got razed by an AI rebel army.

I think resettlement is what's broken. Not razing. It should cost less and have some sort of limit besides money, like maybe population.

>>332237369
Everyone has their preferences and really there is no wrong answer, just what you play best with.
>>
>>332230913
Attila is better imo
>>
>>332237504
Personal favorite with darthmod installed

I started studying Napoleonic history because of fucking total war

Rome 2 ee, FOTS, and Nappy are GOAT
>>
>>332237504
best music...i wish Empire was as polished as Nap. I love Nap but you really start missing the scale that Empire had
>>
Is there any way to extend the amount of provinces/vassals you need for realm divide? I played the Shimazu with the expanded map mod and before I even conqured Kyushu realm divide happened and 3/4ths of japan came down on me
>>
>>332237504
Napoleon had the misfortune of coming after Empire, just like Attila had the misfortune of coming after Rome 2
>>
shogun 2 is my favorite, but i wish the naval combat wasnt fucking godawful. can't even autoresolve it because ships are expensive as fuck and naval autoresolve is fucked

FotS is my second favorite. nothing more satisfying than a ton of artillery and heavy naval bombardment. god, to shatter an entire army before they even get within range of your line infantry; there's no feeling like it

i just picked up attila with the humble bundle and have played about 6 hours. I'm finding it a little frustrating. i think the battles are great, but the overworld is a little confusing and the building system seems incredibly frustrating.
>>
>>332238204
Empire had the misfortune of coming before Napoleon
Just like Rome had the misfortune of coming before Medieval 2 and Shogun 1 had the misfortune of coming before Medieval 1

I feel it eclipses Empire entirely
>>
>>332237776
Daily reminder that Pikes and guns STILL don't work
>>
>>332230913

Nah, that goes to Rome II with DEI and the American Civil War mod for Empire.

In terms of vanilla campaigns, Napoleon is best.
>>
>>332238631
What's frustrating about the building system?
>>
>>332239178

guns work fine until you try to move them

also, even the fucking warscape games, which center around guns, have fucked up guns

baka senpai
>>
>>332238864
Napoleon doesn't have Empire world map, so Empire > Napoleon.
>>
File: 1415753007177.jpg (379 KB, 1032x1012) Image search: [Google]
1415753007177.jpg
379 KB, 1032x1012
>siege defense on that one castle that's sitting on a cliff with the bridge over the waterfall behind it
>enemy is more than twice my number
>stuff all troops up on the final level with the castle, walls completely covered with missile infantry
>yari samurai + spear levies waiting
>thousands of enemies start crawling up the wall like roaches
>except the AI is retarded so 75% of their army tries to climb the same section of wall and gets stuck
>massive blob of enemy soldiers at the bottom sliding in and out of each other while a slow trickle of soldiers goes up the wall
>dozens of enemies slipping and falling
>towers firing arrrows
>eventually they capture the tower, and start trying to climb up to the castle
>the riflemen are waiting
>they start unloading
>since it's just a small trickle of soldiers they get picked off easily
>kill hundreds this way
>eventually some of the enemy blobs manage to make it up and into the upper courtyard
>but the AI is retarded so their entire army stuffs themselves into one corner section of wall that they're all trying to climb up at once
>kill hundreds more firing into the crowd indiscriminately
>enemies make it up
>move one single yari samurai into spear wall and plug the hole
>kill thousands
>enemies rout
>move out general and stand them in a line in the path that every single enemy is retreating
>kill hundreds
>kill all 4 of the enemy generals
>Heroic Victory
>do this 10+ times every campaign
>>
My favorite is FotS, although Medieval 2 is a close second. I don't mind Attila that much either but I hate its time period.
>>
>>332239361

it seems like you can't win. everything gives you squalor and public discontent out the ass, which is especially dumb when there is no logical reason the building in question should give you either of those

it just feels like despite the 10 or so different chains of buildings, every settlement you take is going to have the same 4 or 6 because it's the only viable balance of money, happiness, and squalor
>>
>>332239656

>implying that isn't fucking glorious

siege defenses were my favorite part
>>
>>332239478
Guns are nowhere near fucked up like they are in medieval 2. FOTS early on had the issue of line units doing that retarded shuffle when reforming, but that got patched out. In med II, Your lines just flat out wont fire and will spend years positioning themselves. Once they finally get perfectly reformed, a single one of them dying will put the line out of action for another decade.
>>
>>332235562
The French supported the Shogunate forces with weapons/officers as much as the Brits/Americans did with the Imperials (look up Jules Brunet, part of the inspiration for Cruise's character in The Last Samurai). That said using traditional troops only is fun and challenging, and once you get the hang of it is hilarious how easily you can beat high-tier modern infantry with spears and bows.
>>
>>332230913
I think I'm in the minority but I'm not all that fond of it over some of the others, like Attila. Especially FOTS since gunpowder AI is pants on head retarded. For vanilla there's not enough variety to me and the AI just camps hills making you want to bring a bunch of ranged units, and despite liking Nodachi there's almost no reason to use them over regular katana it seems like.
>>
>>332234142
Desert factions are generally considered the go to. It really depends on AoC, on one hand its a new campaign map in a time that hasn't been done before, on the other its extremely limited on unit variation (each faction gets 2~3 units per class) though that can be bolstered through mods. The story missions are interesting but there aren't many of them. Blood pack is always fun to have. I don't have the slav pack yet so I can't comment on that.

Always check g2a before buying shit on steam sales, you can find most of the dlc for more than half off at any time
>>
File: 2015-08-09_00002.jpg (755 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-08-09_00002.jpg
755 KB, 1920x1080
>>332239824
They're fun, of course, but I might actually be in danger of losing a battle now and then if the enemy tried scaling multiple different sections of the wall at once, instead of doing pic related every single time and getting slaughtered by the thousands.
>>
>>332239685
What faction are you playing as?
Barbars suffer from controlling squalor, yeah but you just have to be smart. Minmax your provinces based on their local resource (e.g. build commerce related buildings in provinces with silk/gold) and just calculate in your head what you need to keep squalor at 0. It's hard, but doable. You may have to waste slots building burial mounds or other seemingly wasteful hygiene buildings, but taking into account the top tier hygiene buildings and research, it'll balance out. As barbars though, you'll often have to stop at the tier III resource buildings in some of your settlements.

As for public order, lower the tax rate til you get better governors and research the techs boosting public order. And you can get rid of the immigration penalties in only a few turns by maxing out tax rates when you conquer provinces with immigrants.
>>
>>332239825
>FOTS early on had the issue of line units doing that retarded shuffle when reforming

nigga that's every fucking warscape game with guns

also, there needs to be an option to fucking make cannons and infantry only fire if they have a clear shot that won't friendly fire

don't tell me it's not possible, medieval 2 crossbowmen could do it
>>
File: 2015-07-28_00004.jpg (476 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-07-28_00004.jpg
476 KB, 1920x1080
>>332240803
Say that to my Spear Wall not online and see what happens
>>
>>332240803

i know what you mean, but you exaggerate a little. i can't remember a siege defense where they didn't come at me from at LEAST 2 sides. granted they usually have one side they commit the most to, but they almost always do multiple directons
>>
>>332237054
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=612198899

The theme around Attila is survival, not necessarily expansion. Huns burning half of Europe is supposed to give you the sense that the old way is ending, and you need to take advantage where you can to carve out your own little piece while the rest of the world goes to shit. I really like how the game shakes up the old system of just painting the map your color, not something I'd want in other games though.
>>
Between Rome I and Medieval II, which is the better game?
>>
>>332240803
I never had the Ai do this for my playthroughs. Multiple lines scaling multiple walls was the norm. Strange.
>>
File: 2015-09-18_00002.jpg (666 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-09-18_00002.jpg
666 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>332238072
There are a couple mods. Not you only get fame for your Daimyo's Honour (influenced by number of vassals you have), number of provinces you have, and for Landmark feild battles (non-siege battles that leave a historical marker on the field). If you can limit these things it gets easier.
>>
>>332241270

Med II, fuck Rome I.

Rome II is fucking better than vanilla Rome I.

Divide Et Impera>Stainless Steel>Europa Barbarorum>Med 2>Rome I>shit>EB2
>>
>>332237776
It didn't, take off those goggles.
>>
>>332241528

Also vanilla Rome II>vanilla Rome I

deal with it nostalgiafaggots, II has better gameplay and is more historically accurate
>>
>>332241031

i'm playing as the franks. i'm sure things will start to make more sense the more i play, i'm just having a hard time getting over the initial threshold of fully understanding the management mechanics and all the options available to me. it's a lot to learn and i'd rather play other games right now instead
>>
File: 2015-07-19_00002.jpg (396 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-07-19_00002.jpg
396 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>332241165

>tfw artillery is fucking useless defending a castle

why the fuck can't i set up a cannon in front of a wall you fucking stupid game
>>
File: assburger2.jpg (7 KB, 188x268) Image search: [Google]
assburger2.jpg
7 KB, 188x268
>>332241840

I have always, always said that sieges should be auto-resolve only. The way they work, they might as well be, successful siege gameplay is basically just cheesing.

CA can't fucking do good sieges.
>>
>>332241684
If squalor is just too much for you, I'd recommend the Sassanids. Their faction trait makes it a complete non-issue. Come mid-game, you literally wont have to build a single hygiene building in your provinces
>>
>>332239656
>move one single yari samurai into spear wall
Yari samurai don't get spearwall formation
>>
>>332237776
medieval 2 is inferior to medieval 1 in every way but graphics
>>
>>332242065
Yari Kachi I meant. It's FOTS.
>>
>can only play fall of the samurai
>checked if i own shogun 2
>says i do
>still wont let me play vanilla and no idea what to do
>>
>>332230913
Is there anyway to stop the ai doom stacks in rome 1?
t. dude who just deleted his save because greece appeared with 3 full stacks of units after i had destroyed one.
>>
>>332242347
play a different game
mods give the AI even more money and armies
>>
>>332241749
loved fots ships

who /roanoke/ here?
>>
>>332242306
I had that problem too

Cant remember what I did to fix it
>>
>>332241458
So how long and how shitty would it be for the people to remove the bodies after a battle.
>>
>>332239178
Pikes work in Rome 2 but not Attila for some reason

They can move with them down, as well as attack move. They can even push forward while attacking.
>>
>>332242651
They just eat them because there's no food left after a siege
>>
>>332242651
They burn them
>>
>>332242807
Even the armor and weapons?
>>
>>332242874
Yeah it's bad luck to use armor or weapon that touched a dead guy
>>
>>332242874
Depends on the culture, some loot bodies, some burn them with it, some discard it.
>>
>>332240379
Ignoring the obvious benefits of using nodachi for shit like ambushes, if you use them in a plain field battle put them behind the yari wall. Katana samurai are front-line troops to either take an enemy charge or smash yari ashigaru before they hit your line, nodachi you use after the lines have engaged, and you charge them into wherever your yari line is weakest to quickly break the enemy and punch through the line.
>>
>>332237504
They fucked us with Empire. They either should have polished Empire as well as Napoleon or skipped Empire.
>>
>>332240803
What difficulty are you playing on? Are you using mods? Because I almost always find that the AI splits their army up into 3-5 groups and try to scale different sections of the castle
>>
>>332241943
I've only played S2. In that the best tactic was to weaken and in most cases completely slaughter the defender with bow units.

In defense you just lined up your pike troops along the walls as AI cannot into burning doors. They would just rush at you from the side of the map, climb your caste walls, become tired and run into meat grinder.
>>
>>332242306
If you purchase only Fall of samurai, you still get shogun 2 game, but the vanilla factions and the samurai campaign is locked out. Only way to get it is to buy the vanilla, unless there is some sort of special thing you can do to unlock it without having to spend money (luckily for me, I got the vanilla version for a cheaper price on grey market sites)
>>
>>332244395
FotS is apparently standalone and also steam just calls it Shogun 2. So even when you go to the store page it says you own it but you actually dont. How stupid.
>>
>>332242723
They work fine in Attila
>>
>>332234142
wait for summer sale and get it all dirt cheap
>>
>>332244586
I guess its something to do with the fact that FotS is treated like a DLC for the main (or vanilla) game (which kinda is)
>>
>>332242723
How the hell do pikes not work in Attila?
>Set up line of pikemen
>Enemy infantry run into pikes and are utterly slaughtered

If anything pikes are too good in Attila
>>
File: TESV 2016-03-27 20-44-56-38.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
TESV 2016-03-27 20-44-56-38.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>no Skyrim civil war mod for Attila

Literally why?
>>
>>332244920
They cant attack move reliably like in Rome 2, and cant push lines back
>>
>>332242723
He meant for Med2. They work in Attila, its just that most don't have shields/much armor so they get slaughtered by anything that they aren't engaging directly in front.
>>
>>332240531
I prefer more historical factions over ROMAN SHARP SPEARS or VETERAN ROMAN LONGBOWMEN. The spearmen might all have the same name in AoC but they do look different between factions.
>>
>>332230913
Best gameplay but CA can't seem to do non-Euro factions right and sieges were neutered.
>>
>>332241639
>historically accurate
Wanna know how I know this is bait

>historical accuracy in a total war game
please
>>
>>332232316
>t. only played 1 (one) game
>>
File: image.jpg (57 KB, 500x371) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57 KB, 500x371
>>332234142
You can get AoC dlc at humble bundle right now for 3 dollars. Sale ends tomorrow I think. Not a shill btw
>>
>>332244928
I really, really, from the bottom of my heart, wish Skyrim was a half decent game, even modded. Sadly there is no salvation for that shit. It can look good though.
>>
>>332245203
The first two games were pretty grounded other than things like battlefield ninjas. Rome Total War just took it to another level.
>>
>>332244928
because skyrim is shit?
>>
>>332245073
I meant within the same faction. As x faction you pretty much get 1 unit type per tier, opposed to say the WRE where you get your 5 spear units and 11 melee spread across the tiers.
>>
>>332244928
Why would anyone want to play in that boring as shit setting, particularly when we are about to get TW Warhammer
>>
>>332237904

Do yourself a favor and try out LME for Napoleon if you haven't.
>>
File: 100 accurate portrayal here.png (57 KB, 224x571) Image search: [Google]
100 accurate portrayal here.png
57 KB, 224x571
>>332245546
Anon.. All they do is switch the names around. Historical accuracy takes such a backseat to game play that it's all just flavor.
>>
File: 1433711297452.jpg (492 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1433711297452.jpg
492 KB, 1920x1080
heh
>>
>>332245886
what the fuck are those unit cards
>>
>>332245693
There's a TES mod for Medieval 2 that's pretty interesting. Also TW Warhammer is gonna be shit.
>>
>>332246001
>Also TW Warhammer is gonna be shit.
Its shaping up to be one of the best TW games ever but okay
>>
File: 1433711209328.jpg (486 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1433711209328.jpg
486 KB, 1920x1080
>>
File: 1458347134528.jpg (78 KB, 800x627) Image search: [Google]
1458347134528.jpg
78 KB, 800x627
>>332246090
That's what was said about Rome 2 before release.
>>
>>332230913
No, best is Rome 1 by far.
>>
>>332246292
Do you need to play rome 1 to understand 2?
>>
File: 2013-02-17_00006.jpg (592 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2013-02-17_00006.jpg
592 KB, 1920x1080
>>332245886

woah what the fuck, i thought that looked familiar

that's my fuckin screenshot

>>332245957
it's a mod that colors unit cards by type because in vanilla it can be a little hard to differentiate them at a glance
>>
>>332246393
They're wildly fucking different games.
So no.
Personally I'd just skip Rome 2 altogether but hey.
>>
>>332246393
It's good to play 1 before 2 so you can call out the underage spergs who say 1 is better.
>>
>>332237790
Climate change could work, except pretty much every province in the game goes to meagre or infertile quite quickly. I have a mod now which makes sanitation buildings provide some irrigation, allowing the fertility level to be raised in that way, which works.

As for the Huns and razing, I don't have too much of a problem with it, and it can help fledgling empires, or help cripple stronger foes, even though it can be a pain. Problem comes when the AI refuses to resettle and will raze half the map by the mid game. Huns are hard to play against and even harder to play as. For a game called Attila, I just find hordes to be really poorly done.

Desert kingdoms DLC is probably the best CA's put out since Kingdoms, though.
>>
>>332246393
If you want to go full hipster you need to start with medieval 1 then rome 1 to see what they lost in their transition to 3D with a focus on graphics over features
>>
>>332231314
Think that's bad, Empire: Total War was fought on 5 continents and that's not even including trade theaters. Balancing your army and navy is a nightmare. I still sank a lot of time into it, though my Navy always got wrecked. The trick was to narrow your conquests.
>>
>>332230913
1. Rome: Total War
2. Medieval 2: Total War
3. Shogun 2
>>
>>332247090
entry level pleb: the list
>>
>>332241684
I always get bored playing the barbarian factions. Try Sassanids or better, if you have the Desert Kingdoms DLC, Himyar or Aksum. Cultural trait ups sanitation and their buildings do a much better job as well.
>>
>>332242651
Not sure about in Japan, but after the battle of Hastings, it's said there were still corpses 6 months later, and bones scattered the fields for decades.
>>
>>332247509
A caste called the birakumin tended to handle dead bodies in japan, and there is a discrimination towards them that still exists to this day in rural parts of Japan
>>
>>332246693
It is way better.

Without the huge, uncontrollable distance from capital and squalor penalties it would be the best TW game hands down.
>>
>>332247852
Yeah, because in Shintoism death is impure, so even handling dead bodies was seen as making one impure. Consorting with such a person was considered to spread the impurity.

80% of Yakuza have Birakumin ancestry.
>>
File: 1432670024170.jpg (484 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1432670024170.jpg
484 KB, 1920x1080
>>332246460
sorry. i like pictures of units being completely destroyed
>>
File: 2013-02-17_00011.jpg (679 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2013-02-17_00011.jpg
679 KB, 1920x1080
>>332248196

i wasnt mad, just astonished somebody else saved it in the first place
>>
I prefer Rome 1 and Medieval 2 for their overhaul mods. Europa Barbarorum and Roma Surrectum all day erry day

Also, what are the best mods for Rome 2 and Attila? I'm aware of DEI for Rome 2 but nothing else aside from that
>>
File: Shogun2 2015-07-08 22-10-16-456.jpg (726 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Shogun2 2015-07-08 22-10-16-456.jpg
726 KB, 1920x1080
>>332248196
half the fun of TW is taking screenshots of random things in battles
>>
>>332248196
Continue or End Battle?
>>
The worst thing about Empire, Napoleon and especially Rome 2 and Attila is how detached the battles feel. It often doesn't feel like you're watching your men fight an epic battle, it just turns into multiple blobs of units oscillating back and forth until one routs. It's not visceral and exciting to watch like it was in Rome, Med 2 and Shogun 2.

Medieval 2 especially, watching your units fight really felt like something: seeing your axemen cleaving mightily, or your swordsmen jabbing and slashing, defending themselves... you could see it all, it felt like you were there watching it.

With Rome 2, Attila all units seem to just jab and poke at each other, some random units falling over and then one unit disengages.
>>
File: 2013-01-30_00002.jpg (510 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2013-01-30_00002.jpg
510 KB, 1920x1080
>not riding into battle on your glorious carousel horse
>>
>>332248718
Don't kid yourself, Shogun 2 has the exact same problem.
>>
>>332246815
>tell someone to be a hipster by playing the hugely popular rome 1 instead of shogun 1
>>
File: 2015-07-26_00003.jpg (316 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-07-26_00003.jpg
316 KB, 1920x1080
>>
File: 2015-07-26_00004.jpg (338 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-07-26_00004.jpg
338 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>332248124
>get the shittiest job
>also get treated like shit for generations

being japanese is shit desu
>>
File: 2015-07-26_00005.jpg (407 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-07-26_00005.jpg
407 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>332248798
Yeah it does to a certain extent, but nowhere near the others. I could enjoy watching the units fight somewhat in Shogun 2, especially the katana and no-dachi samurai and hero units.

There is literally not a single unit that excites me to watch fight in the more recent two games. I've tried every fucking faction but no dice. In Rome 1 watching Praetorians steamroll the Gauls or Germans was so satisfying. Now it's the same no matter who is fighting who: just watch the lines oscillate until the enemy icon starts flashing, send another unit to the blob if your unit is struggling.
>>
How does an arrow kill someone they look pathetic.
>>
>>332249503

what
>>
>>332249503
Motherfucker what are you talking about
>>
File: 1415822586783.webm (3 MB, 900x563) Image search: [Google]
1415822586783.webm
3 MB, 900x563
>>332249503
this, desu
its why we don't bother using them anymore
>>
>>332249503
Most arrow hits didnt kill people instantly, they killed you later on due to infections.

In fact the vast majority of people died from infections.
>>
File: empire.jpg (240 KB, 1208x786) Image search: [Google]
empire.jpg
240 KB, 1208x786
>Tfw all the gunpowder Total wars are completely underwhelming and awkward
>>
File: you crazy.png (10 KB, 381x351) Image search: [Google]
you crazy.png
10 KB, 381x351
>>332249727
>that gun throw
>>
>>332249503
I have a bow. Even shooting the blunthead arrows is fucking terrifying, you have no idea the force they hit with.

So if you get hit somewhere vital like the neck, chest or head you're pretty much fucked. And unlike a bullet, many arrows are designed to cause extra damage when removed
>>
>>332249821

woah now sir, FotS is fucking great. nothing awkward about it.
>>
>>332249503
holy fuck nigger
>>
>>332249821
How would you make them interesting, though? I don't think the style of play suits it very well at all. If the next TW isn't set in E. Asia or Medieval 3, I'm really hoping they set it even further back than Rome. Ancient Egypt, Babylon, Hittites etc. Could be amazing.
>>
File: 20160324171702_1.jpg (336 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160324171702_1.jpg
336 KB, 1920x1080
Ready for some devastation?!
>>
File: 20160324171809_1.jpg (289 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160324171809_1.jpg
289 KB, 1920x1080
>>332250115
>>
File: 1397612095571.jpg (292 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
1397612095571.jpg
292 KB, 1366x768
>>332249882
>>
>>332250115
>all those copped trees outside the fence
>>
>>332250260
this maniac throwing a musket
>>
File: 1304280397020.jpg (136 KB, 1020x759) Image search: [Google]
1304280397020.jpg
136 KB, 1020x759
>>332250110
The ideal for me, is that a total war battle can read as much like a historical battle as possible. This usually happens more in Multiplayer, especially team games, because the AI doesnt really have strategy most of the time. Its then you can say things like "Then we sent our cavalry on their left wing but they outmaneuvered us, but luckily our infantry on the right broke through their lines and this allowed us to commit more reserves on the other side of the field where..."

In single player 99% of the time its "And then the AI sent everything at me at once and got mowed down and moped up by my cavalry". This isnt so bad in ancient/medieval Total Wars, since most of those battles really were about committing your whole line and then sending the cavalry on the wings. But gunpowder/Napoleonic battles were a bit more complicated than that, so when TW fails to recreate them it sticks out even more.
>>
>>332249821
Warhammer will fix it

r-right?
>>
>>332251802
They made it worse. No more formations for spear walls or halberds and the guns sounds and look like shit.
>>
>>332251802
>can't control the whole map
>can only destroy your mortal enemy
>immortal generals
>Richard Beddow as music composer
>magic ladder
And they still haven't shown how diplomatic work yet. Also notice how there is no AI defend battle video.
>>
>>332252315
>Immortal generals

Maybe if tw ai wasn't shit it wouldn't be so bad.

>some great general from history dies on ai

>I just fight nobodies
>>
As much as I like some of the things Attila did, I find myself having to spam spear unit armies a lot since the upkeep for better units is too high for it to be worth it most of the time. Seriously, the stats for most of the professional units are medicore and aren't worth getting unless you want to dick around
>>
>>332249821
You didnt play Fall of the Samurai with Bear Infantry and 2 lines of fire
>>
>>332252315
>And they still haven't shown how diplomatic work yet. Also notice how there is no AI defend battle video.
Their empire campaign showed diplomacy, and the just uploaded a bunch of siege battles with ai defending, and the vampire vs orcs battle was ai defending too.
>>
hate to ask but can someone get me the blood and gore pack for attila?
>>
>>332252315
>>332252475
Immortal generals have been a thing since Napoleon.
>>
File: 1454397930609.jpg (19 KB, 310x299) Image search: [Google]
1454397930609.jpg
19 KB, 310x299
I used to love Shogun 2, specifically FotS but I got a new computer and upon trying to install, it doesn't run. Just a black screen. The few times it loaded the main menu, the graphics and settings were locked at medium/low with no way to change it.
Anyone know how to fix this? I really wanna play FotS again after seeing this thread...
>>
>>332254040
Sent ;)
>>
File: QWXLTej.jpg (307 KB, 640x599) Image search: [Google]
QWXLTej.jpg
307 KB, 640x599
>>332254430
>>
>>332254137
You can kill any general in Attila even the big man himself.
>>
Fall of the Samurai was 10/10
I had so much fucking fun with it, it was seriously the best of both wrolds
>>
>>332254040
Its $1 on g2a.
>>
>>332247173
What's your list?
>>
>>332255232
is g2a trust worthy?
>>
>>332254568
Attila is a hybrid, he can't be killed outside of battle, but in Nappy you simply couldn't kill/lose him.
>>
>>332252315
>Also notice how there is no AI defend battle video.
go on youtube you buffoon
there are vids everywhere
>>
>>332232503
>realm divide fine now
Nah senpai. Takeda backstabbers still burn at the stake.
>>
>>332255396
I've bought both Mad Max and JC3 and haven't had any issues.
>>
File: 1409292865558.jpg (18 KB, 467x460) Image search: [Google]
1409292865558.jpg
18 KB, 467x460
>>332236572
>dat soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YooCDXpM9qE&index=6&list=PL4FF6DCEF3813460D

Thank you based Jeff.
>>
>>332255396
On G2A it gives you a rating system similar to Ebay. Just don't buy from anyone with a low score.
>>
>>332255621
>takeda
name one time
ONE
FUCKING
TIME
where they HAVEN'T back-stabbed the player.
>>
>>332230913
if your a weeb
>>
>>332251969
Spear walls are still ingame, they are now automated.
>>
>>332255927
>>332255621
>trusting the takeda

Shingen kek'd his own father out of his lands in a bloodless coup. Never trust a Takeda.
>>
File: Shingen_Takeda.png (275 KB, 500x485) Image search: [Google]
Shingen_Takeda.png
275 KB, 500x485
>>332256121
But she's so hot though.
>>
File: Johnny Cab.png (582 KB, 650x676) Image search: [Google]
Johnny Cab.png
582 KB, 650x676
>>332239550
This is pretty true desu.

>tfw forcing England into revolt so Quebec and Scotland would form

>become buddy buddy with Russia
>move all troops to camp outside their cities
>declare war and take them over in one turn
>tried this against Austria but they caught on
>>
>>332256121
>>332255927
>>332255621
I guess you could say they Take-da fun out of the game
>>
>>332230913
Yes it is.
>>
File: 1455201374903.jpg (68 KB, 600x560) Image search: [Google]
1455201374903.jpg
68 KB, 600x560
>>332252315
>they even reused empire city for dwarven cities

lazy fucks...and people will eat it alllll up.
>>
>>332256564
Because everyone knows CA sieges suck shit anyway

The battles look amazing and thats what matters.
>>
>>332230913
Shogun is by far the most played Total War for me.
>>
>>332256442
you fucking nigger I wish I could fucking choke you through the computer
>>
>>332257345
Wanna go out on a Date then? Maybe we can Oda out some food.
>>
>>332256659
I always enjoyed it all.If I build up a settlement.I want it to change.I want at least DIFFERENT FUCKING LOOKING CITIES FROM ONE RACE TO ANOTHER
>>
>>332257643
>>332256442
What is even going on here?
>>
>>332234142
It was just on sale on humble bundle. For all the Atilla dlc, minus the Slavic culture pack, it was around $16 total.
>>
>>332257643
STOP IT
>>
>>332257950
Ito not so funny now?

>>332257742
I A-mako joke and He dont like it.
>>
File: WHODOIPICKLADS.jpg (532 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
WHODOIPICKLADS.jpg
532 KB, 1920x1080
Who do I play lads?
>>
>>332258248
Attila
>>
File: stop it.jpg (108 KB, 456x386) Image search: [Google]
stop it.jpg
108 KB, 456x386
>>332258220
>>
>>332258706
Ouchi, stop being so mean.
>>
>>332230913
The only problem i have with it is the battle speed. Huge battles are over in minutes especially if you know how to use cav to bait the shitty ai into making stupid mistakes. Also cav units run way to fast. Also FotS is better.
>>
NOBLES
OF
GERMANIA
>>
File: stop.png (137 KB, 293x282) Image search: [Google]
stop.png
137 KB, 293x282
>>332258897

>>332258248
Attila the hun
>>
>>332259378
I wont stop until you Sakai my dick
>>
File: stop_that_silly.jpg (16 KB, 320x400) Image search: [Google]
stop_that_silly.jpg
16 KB, 320x400
>>332259620
that's gay senpai
>>
>>332259794
I guess im a bit Wako.
>>
>>332258248
Langobards. Just parking my spearmen in a half circle and letting those op as fuck swordsmen form blobs on the flanks, while I watch the enemy getting slaughtered by my berserking men is so nice. Its like ME2 Venice all over again but this time the units don't have shit morale and it basically plays itself.

Bonus points for letting your huge onagers shoot over half the map into the enemy mob and sending your archers into melee to further humiliate the opponent.
>>
>>332252315
Why would anyone trust a video where Creative Assembly says its player vs AI, after they faked a video exactly like that for Rome 2?
>>
>>332259851
fuck, i'm out of STOP pictures
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GF5eVVxbag
>>
>>332261821
top tier songs coming through
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHZuYngPNoE
https://youtu.be/jrUoDJEY9KA
https://youtu.be/uv8xqJX7H7A
https://youtu.be/8kZ_pl5DLD0
>>
>>332230913
It's 4chan dying? This thread has been here for like 5 hours in a supposedly fast board
>>
>>332262454
nigga its fucking late on a Sunday, on a holiday
alot of people are either
Drunk
Asleep
doing other shit
not interested in Total war
people still have work/class tomorrow
>>
>>332260181
Because there's a bunch of them? Because most of them are done by non-CA employees? If you stopped being so fucking thick for a second and actually bothered to watch them (which is typically an important point if you want to back up your bullshit) you'd know this already.
>>
File: 325610_20160309031714_1.jpg (3 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
325610_20160309031714_1.jpg
3 MB, 2560x1440
Attila is pretty amazing and is very polished but too bad the time setting is boring as fuck imo
>>
>>332260181
they had live demos at GDC
see
>>332262976
>>
>>332263659
also best thme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh9HI4eudR8
>>
>>332263659
>dark age
>boring
>>
>>332265196
dark age is awesome, Attila total war dark age not so much.
Thread replies: 239
Thread images: 45

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.