[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I a scrub for hiding behind a shield in this game? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: header.jpg (32 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
32 KB, 460x215
Am I a scrub for hiding behind a shield in this game? I'm not that far into it, but so far I've beaten Asylum Demon, Taurus Demon, Bell Gargoyles, and Capra Demon, all through hiding behind a shield I picked up in the Parish. You can basically block everything, so I'm not seeing any reason not to use one so far. I've tried two handing and rolling instead but 4/5 times I get caught by an attack and then immediately start shielding again.

Also, I'm currently using a Longsword which I've upgraded to +5 with these titanite shard things, and honestly it seems to be working out pretty well. I like the moveset and it has some decent power, but should I be investing in a stronger weapon by now? The Longsword only scales in C in both DEX and STR and I really want something which has A or S scaling in STR since that's the kinda build I'm running with.
>>
Nah, nothing wrong with doing that.
>>
>>332215835
You are ougth to find better weapons soon. Nothing wrong with sticking to what you are comfortable with. Weapons in DS aren't about the dqmage output but how comfortable you feel with their moveset.

And nothing wrong with using shields, they are great for PvE
>>
if you don't feel comfortable dodging and parrying then by all means use a shield, but i do think it is worth trying to learn how to do both of those things
>>
>>332215835
Longsword is a veeeery good weapon, and I would not worry about replacing it. But if you're going full on strength, maybe try the Zweihander or a Dragon Tooth or something. Do not worry on relying on your shield. It's obviously better to mid/fast roll then to block in the long run, but if you're just trying to beat the game, then you're golden.
>>
You can definitely hide behind a shield for at least 90% of the game, but it will get tedious and the fights will be very drawn out. Two handing your weapon and cutting down on the lock on mechanic will make you a better player. Like that /v/ Dark Souls picture says, it is better that you learn avoiding damage altogether rather than blocking everything.
>>
>>332216606
Where can I find a Zweihander? I found a Claymore and thought it was OK, I like the range you get from the poke but the light attack feels too slow. And again, only scales in C in both STR and DEX.
>>
>>332217360
The Zweihander is by a large gravestone by the skeletons nearby the catacombs. It's right next to Firelink Shrine
>>
>>332217360
Zweihander is at the graveyard beside the fire link shrine, before the catacombs. Don't underestimate the claymore, it's one of the better weapons in the game, the two handed attacks are pretty strong.
>>
>>332217360
The claymore and zweihander are both better than the longsword and can get you through the entire game. The longsword is actually not that bad if you want to stick with it for a while
>>
>>332217360
2 handing the zweihander using the strong attack can actually flatten (knockdown) a lot of enemies in the game. It got me through my first run and is actually my favorite weapon in the game
>>
File: 1458988846224.jpg (28 KB, 180x218) Image search: [Google]
1458988846224.jpg
28 KB, 180x218
>>332215835
There's a merchant in the Burg (before the bonfire, near the two spear+shield Hollows) that sells a Club with an A scaling in STR and a Reinforced Club that ends up with a B scaling (reinforced club has better damage). You can also pick up a Battle Axe from some of the other Hollows or buy one from the Parish blacksmith, it only has a C in the end but it has high base damage. Seeing as you said you've done Capra, the area you have to do next has two greataxes you can get, one with very very high base damage but no scaling and one with high base damage and good scaling. The next area after has a unique enemy that will spawn if you're human and will drop a very good STR weapon (high base damage, scaling and reach). You'll know you're there if you're at the bottom of a swampy area next to the bonfire.

A good thing to note is that so long as a weapon is not obviously trash it will be good enough to get you through the game.
>>
Fuck yeah zweihander. First time playing, just got it myself.
>>
>>332215835
Shield turtling is a perfectly valid playstyle for PvE.

In PvP, people have long figured out how to take it apart, so practice some other defensive style if you don't want to be shredded.
>>
>>332215835
If you're playing with heavy armour you're forced to play with a shield.
If you're playing with rolls you're forced to use low armor/naked.

It really depends on how you're playing, also, some bosses are easily beaten with blocking while others with rolling.

Blocking doesn't mean you're a noob, you have to manage stamina all the time.
>>
>>332215835
using a shield is harder than rolling
rolling makes the game even more of a joke than it is
>>
>>332215835

>Completed BB and DS2
>Buy DS1: Prepare to die
>Getting dunked all the time
>Found DS2 and BB really easy
>No summon signs, messages or nodes in Undead Berg
>So ronery
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.