[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Metal Gear Solid 5?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 11
File: MG5.png (149 KB, 279x363) Image search: [Google]
MG5.png
149 KB, 279x363
Only ever played the first Metal Gear a long time ago. Can I still enjoy MG5 even if I don't know the story? Thinking about picking it up for my stealth fix.
>>
Not knowing the story will improve your experience.
>>
>>332205272
At the very least you should play or watch a video of Ground Zeroes. It's a direct prequel and is pretty short anyway.

Other than that, maybe read a quick plot summary of Peace Walker and MGS3.
>>
>>332205752
This, it's the first act of the game. And the GZ movie is required watching too, if you don't want to emulate it (PPSSPP works great and it's pretty fun)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cy7E76mBL0
>>
>>332205272
>Can I still enjoy MG5 even if I don't know the story?
No.
And to be totally honest, you'd be FAR better off just playing MGS1-4 + PW, and skipping V altogether.

Don't WATCH anything. Play them.
>>
>>332205272
You should play MGS 3 and Ground Zero first and read the plot of peacewalker online.
>>
>>332206178
>Skipping V
V is one of the best games in the series though
>>
>>332205272
MGS5 is a direct sequel to Peace Walker, which again is a sequel to MGS3. Also the first "chapter" of MGS5 was released separately as its own short game, Ground Zeroes, which you really should play before TPP.
That being said, the MGS5 experience in whole was quite disappointing. It is literally missing its ending, and gets more repetitious towards the end, thanks to literal copy-paste missions you need to finish several times in order to "unlock" the weak ending we got now. Without having experienced the entire series before it, you won't be able to enjoy the numerous fanservice elements and easter eggs in the game.
>>
File: 1457732960790.jpg (58 KB, 560x571) Image search: [Google]
1457732960790.jpg
58 KB, 560x571
>>332205363
tfw played first MGSV then moved on to MGS4 and killing Liquid made me lose all interest in the series. should i get the 1-3 as HD collection or just leave the game to Old SnakeĀ“s graveyard scene for good?
>>
>>332206312
>V is one of the best games in the series though
nah, it's one of the worst, easily. Still better than PO and MGS2, but not by much. The story is fucking bad, and it even lacks the ending.
>>
>>332206312
Why is it the best?
>>
>>332206537
>game is bad because story

wut
>>
>>332206626
Gameplay smooth af
>>
>>332206737
Nah nigga nah
>>
File: Order to play MGS games.jpg (2 MB, 2664x3824) Image search: [Google]
Order to play MGS games.jpg
2 MB, 2664x3824
>>332206480
>playing 5 and 4 first
jesus christ, and I thought MGS3 start was bad!
Seriously bro, you just don't do that shit.

>should i get the 1-3 as HD collection
Hell Yes! Though you need to buy MGS1 separately from the PSN Store, as the HD Collection only has 2, 3 and Peace Walker. MGS Legacy Collection has all the main-MG games up to Peace Walker.
>>
>>332206791
yuh
>>
>>332206628
it's an MGS game, son. Story and characters are essential part of the experience.

Also GJ ignoring all the other criticism, like the fact that the game's not finished, never will be finished, and the world's fucking empty husk with nothing to do.
>>
>>332205363
More like not caring about story, and not being a fan and invested will improve your experience.

Casuals or people who didn't care about the series find MGS5 good, but most of the fans are seriously disappointed about this one.
>>
>>332206894
How is the game not finished? And there's plenty to do in the open world. Most of the butthurt seems to come from people who didn't get exactly what they wanted, so they ignore everything that's good about the game
>>
File: 1365956822408.jpg (205 KB, 747x599) Image search: [Google]
1365956822408.jpg
205 KB, 747x599
>>332206480
>tfw played first MGSV then moved on to MGS4
>>
>>332207060
>How is the game not finished?
The entire fucking Chapter 3 is missing, and you need to watch it's unfinished cinematics on Youtube to get the full story. You also never go back to Camp Omega, and everything's left just hanging in general.

>And there's plenty to do in the open world.
literally nothing. Tackling random guard outposts is fun only the first dozen or so times, and even that's not a challenge anymore since you got dozens of square miles of nothingness to disappear, and call for supplies / strikes if needed.
>>
>>332206480
how do you even manage to fuck up this badly
>>
>>332207414
cut =/= unfinshed

The open world is not meant to be challenging. The fun comes from creating loadouts to see all the different ways you can approach bases, and you have a lot at your disposal. The real challenge comes from FOB invasion
>>
>>332206537
MGS2 shouldnt even be in the same sentence as MGSV and PO

The only game that came remotely close to surpassing it was 4, but it was frontloaded with all kinds of bullshit inherited from Snake eater
>>
>>332205272
You will probably enjoy it more if you don't know how good and interesting the series is.

MGSV is pretty much a generic open world game like Far Cry 3, for example. If you don't expect anything else or unique you're gonna enjoy it.
>>
>>332207060
There is a Chapter 3 that's left out, only partially finished mission 51 that attempts to wrap up events with Sally and Eli, most of Chapter 2 is missing and replaced with copy pasted chapter 1 missions with some modifiers, Battle Gear is cut, unused voice files for more interactions with Paz, no Camp Omega, which also has some game files, and several others.

It's quite clear, it comes apart at the seams and is clearly unfinished.
>>
>>332208057
>Meme characters and meme mechanics
>good and interesting
full kek
>>
Lol. Just read an article where David Hayter claims that Konami tried to force him out some games ago. What a bunch of cunts.
>>
>>332208228

see >>332207698

much of MGS2's ending was cut too
>>
>>332207698
>The real challenge comes from FOB invasion
I bet my base's stripped clean of everything at this point. Seriously, MGS5 is such a hollow shadow of such high potential game, it's not even funny.
>>
>MGSV
>stealth
>MGSV
>story
>>
>>332208470
Nope. MGS2 had edited cutscenes but that was the extent of it, the game is still a cohesive whole unlike MGSV

I dont get why people try to make this bullshit comparison, dont even bother bringing up fatman and the second strut, half of that shit didnt even make it past the conceptual stage.
>>
>>332208510
>I bet my base's stripped clean of everything at this point

How does that make the game bad? Thanks to that there's always a reason to farm guards
>>
>>332208593
edited cutscenes and the entire manhatton ending cut sure. Liquid just gets away with Ray and...?

I fail to see how a game isn't a cohesive whole because it isn't as story focused, they may have cut back on that but the mechanics were polished to a sheen
>>
>>332208609
>farming is a good thing
>implying farming should have ever ever ever been in a Meatl Gear Solid game
Disgusting
>>
>>332205272

This is the one Metal Gear game aside from MGS1 where you don't need to have played a prior game to fully appreciate it (assuming you're counting GZ and not just TPP). This game will more than satisfy your need for Stealth.
>>
>>332208609
>endless circle of kids attacking your AI-guarded base, that has no connections to the actual campaign or plot, is a good enough reason to keep playing the repetitious hoarding game in otherwise totally empty and barren open-world maps.
Not even Kojima-fags could shill this shit that hard.
>>
>>332208813
>too much game to play so the game is shit

Yeah there's a lot of farming in game, but the amount of unique content is at least as long as any other mainstream game
>>
>>332208729
>I dont see how a car isnt finished if they made the steering wheel extra smooth but forgot the tires

The entire game's structure is fucked up, if you played any AAA game in the past 5 years there's vvery little distinguishing MGSV from them aside from the half-assed base building. Smooth (and arguably industry standard) mechanics cannot save it, and even then MGS4 had far more engaging mecchanics even though you could barely use them.
>>
>>332208830
So I can just zone out during cut-scenes and be all good?
>>
File: 1441710309103.webm (2 MB, 830x418) Image search: [Google]
1441710309103.webm
2 MB, 830x418
>>332205272
MGSV is a game where you take a sniper rifle, destroy everything from afar, then use grenade launcher to finish the rest.

Or, if you actually don't want to kill anyone - no problem, you have tranquillizer rifle and pistol.

Or, if you want to avoid that, you can just literally avoid everyone since they are blind and houses are so randomly placed and so far apart that you can just completely avoid everything with ease.
>>
>>332208945
You''re basically on the same level as old bitches playing Farmville t b h
>>
>>332208470
It's not even close to the same and you know it. Yes, some editing happens in all games, but this would be like cutting everything past the Vamp fight in MGS2 and skipping right to Snakes ending monologue, and removing the entire tanker section.
>>
>>332208889
>it only counts if it's a linear scripted hallway!!!

>>332208990
>car analogies

come on lol. V has some of the best mechanics in any recently released AAA game
>>
>>332209014

Yeah, cutscenes are still cool and worth watching, but most of the plot is on collectible cassette tapes you can listen to anytime during gameplay.
>>
>>332208945
Not the guy you are replying to, but to waste arguments on you would just be pointless as you are obviously either retarded or played a very special version of the game.
>>
>>332209087
CoD has it beat.
>>
>>332209085
It's literally exactly the same thing. Sally and Liquid don't get any resolution? Hmm, I wonder what other game that sounds like...
>>
>>332209087
>>it only counts if it's a linear scripted hallway!!!
Strawman.
>>
>>332209189
nah
>>
MGSV apologists are on the same level as RE6 shills who pretend its the best thing since RE4

utter delusion
>>
>>332205272
I'm a life long fan of the series and it's amazing. It was great to have kojimmy send the series off the way he wanted and thank those that have invested the time into his games. I'd play it asap and then play the others After. It won't be beat in the stealth genre for a looooong time.
>>
>>332209309
RE4 is far worse than RE6. Neither of them are "good" though.
>>
>>332209407
lol
>>
>>332209407
>RE4 is far worse than RE6

kek no even 5 is better than 6
>>
>>332209407
RE4 is one of my favorite games! Played through it like 20 times. You dickbrain.
>>
>>332205363
This this this. Game must be amazing to people who don't follow metal gear or care much about the storyline.
>>
>>332209542
>RE4 is one of my favorite games! Played through it like 20 times
And I'M the dickbrain? lmao. Everything past Nemesis is shit but RE4 is one of the worst fucking ones.
>>
>>332205272
>even if I don't know the story
What story?
>>
>>332209087
> V has some of the best mechanics in any recently released AAA game

Most optimized maybe, but the actual mechanics aren't really all that great. Above average, but not excellent. Good core mechanics polished to a sheen, but they aren't doing anything fundamentally different than most TPS have been doing for the last 5 years.
>>
>>332208945
What about the amount of rehashed content?
>>
>>332209721
I never played RE1-3. How does that make you feel?
>>
>>332210151
Half the fun of MGS is replaying the game to get a better ranking
>>
>>332205272
>Can I still enjoy MG5 even if I don't know the story?

Considering V doesnt have a story, yes, you can.
>>
>>332210229
I don't feel much of anything. There are so many perpetually underage nu-"gamer" meme toddlers here that I don't have it in me to be enjoyed by the presence of yet another one. Anybody born after 1990 will be underage in sensibility for the rest of their lives. You will NEVER understand video games, you lack the context.
>>
>>332210649
okay grandpa
>>
>>332206312
>V is one of the best games in the series though

Depending on what youre playing MGS for.

Do you play MGS for the stealth? Then yes, V is *the* best game in the series, no contest.

Do you play MGS for thestory? Then V is the worst piece of shit ever pulled out of Kojima's asshole. Guns of the Patriots is a masterpiece compared to The Phantom Pain. It's "JUST": The Game.
>>
>>332210713
You will be a meme for the rest of your life (like every person who enjoyed RE4) so you're in no position to insult anybody else.
>>
>>332210281
No I mean
>Chapter 2
>all those "Do Thing 3" missions in side ops
>even a lot of Chapter 1 is just "rescue this guy" missions
Not a whole lot of variety
>>
>>332210809
>Do you play MGS for the stealth? Then yes, V is *the* best game in the series, no contest.
2 had better stealth and AI.

The guards are a fucking joke in V
>>
>>332211010
There's variety in all the different options you have to do those missions.
>>
>>332205272

it's good for its stealth gameplay, very open ended, lots of mechanics and possibilities.

but yeah the ending is going to hit you like crashing into a wall of string cheese.
>>
sprinting everywhere armed with only stun grenades interrogating everyone and putting them to sleep without fultoning is what mgo is all about
>>
>>332210649
>perpetually underage nu-"gamer" meme toddlers
>Anybody born after 1990
>You will NEVER understand video games

LMAO. Please share your wisdom with us!
>>
>>332211048
2 also only had like 5 guards on-screen.

V's AI is the most distressing part about the game, but it could still be worse.
>>
>>332211493
>2 also only had like 5 guards on-screen.
is that supposed to be somekind of detriment? Compared to MGSV which is filled to the brim with guards but they still manage to be impotent as fuck?

Fuck the numbers, its about how they're used. MGSV is a hollow shell of a game that barely fulfills any of its advertised features.
>>
>>332210649
>I don't feel much of anything
It's time to let go anon, nothing but dreams now little fella.
>>
>>332211623
No, it's something to take into consideration when the game was made for hardware made only one console generation later. I'm willing to bet MGSV's biggest mistake was not ditching old gen console releases and enhancing the experience with better hardware.
>>
1 3 and 4 are fun to play.

2 is just shit, with shit characters, villains, etc etc
>>
>>332210649
>you lack the context
What "context" does hating RE4 give you?
>>
>>332211830
>I'm willing to bet MGSV's biggest mistake was not ditching old gen console releases and enhancing the experience with better hardware.
And you'd be better off running slots in Vegas, the game's design is broken on the conceptual level. Old-gen consoles have nothing to do with it, considering you have three PS2 games that outclass it in almost every way.
>>
>>332211623
Not the guy you're arguing with, but there are tons of times where the circumstances of more guards allows you to improvise greatly and do new things. I've played every mgs game more times than I can remember, but just because mgs v changed up how you do things doesn't mean it's instantly shit.

Yes you can take a sniper rifle and shoot everyone in the camp, but you could also not. traversing the same camp with all of the guards awake and being a ghost completely is infinitely more rewarding, and gives the time freedom to take as long as you want. I don't understand why it doing something new instantly invalidates it when speaking in reference to the old games.

Mgsv threads always give off this vibe similar to when your parents heard your music and instantly said it was shit compared to their stuff.
>>
>>332205272
You are better off playing MGS1 and MGS3

Or better yet, play Metal Gear 2 and Ghost Babel.

Then never look back no matter what anyone says.
>>
OP keep one very important thing in mind when dealing with MGSfags.

Anyone talking shit about MGS2 is a pleb that should be ignored, especially if they hype up 3 in place of it.
>>
How many times do people have to say "play them in release order" for people to get the fucking point across?
>>
Why does everyone say Portable Ops was bad and is non-canon?

Last time I checked Kojima confirmed it to be canon and I liked it much better than PW.
>>
>>332210649
>I don't feel much of anything. There are so many perpetually underage nu-"gamer" meme

There are certain things you can't discuss with a younger generation, it's always like this. Cut off is every 15 years.
>>
>>332212467
You're a faggot, 2 sucks dick. Just like you and it's other fans.
>>
>>332210649
ahahahahahahahaha
>>
>>332212467
MGS2 is literally the most overrated video game of all time

The fact that people legitimately try to argue that it's too smart is laughable, you have to be an illiterate manchild who's merits consist of high school philosophy to think that shitty version of the already shitty Matrix is deep in any way
>>
>>332212309
Having played more than enough Ubisoft games I couldnt find myself being all that impressed or engaged with MGSV's structure, its the same game I've played for years - this time with Kojima's name slapped all ovver it.

I prefer tight and well-designed experiences that actually force me to use all the tools I'm given. MGSV gives you 100 things that do the same thing and says "well, have fun kid", there's nothing interesting about that. It just rings of someone who couldn't be fucked to actually design their game with close attention as to how all its elements interact with each other.
>>
>>332212975
its not that MGS2 is too smart, its that people who hate it are 9/10 times stupid as fuck.

Same with Evangelion.
>>
>>332209675
Yeah I loved it, just played it like I was some random spec ops guy dropped into Afghanistan.
>>
>>332212735
2 is just as good as 3. If you liked 3, there's not a lot to hate about 2 beyond

> muh Raiden switch
> muh 60s cheese.

MGS2 is just as good as 3, and both don't quite measure up to 1.
>>
>>332209675
>>332213571
MGSV is a shitty Metal Gear game but the GOAT single player operator game
>>
>>332213192
please. The only reason people "hate" it is because fans of the game take offense when someone has the audacity to even mention they like another game better.
>>
>>332213783
I hold that 2 is a worthy sequel to 1, to a point where I almost see them as a coherent whole.

3 is some weird experimental shit that somehow became the "face" of the series for the remainder of its lifespan. Its the RE4 of MGS.
>>
>>332211168
That's not enough, frankly. I can only take down the same tank so many times. I can only save the same dumb NPC hostage so many times.

Even if I could do it 2,000 different ways, I'm still doing the same thing in essence.
>>
>>332213084
>Having played more than enough Ubisoft games I couldnt find myself being all that impressed or engaged with MGSV's structure, its the same game I've played for years - this time with Kojima's name slapped all ovver it.

This so much. Its actually just like the outposts in Far Cry 3 made into a full game, while making it tedious.
>>
>>332213783
MGS2's ending was all kinds of fucked up, which along with Dead Cell being completely terrible in every single way except for Fatman, automatically makes it worst than 3

>Liquid randomly comes back via arm possession instead of just faking his death which is fucking stupid
>SHE REALLY IS LADY LUCK and more forced Fortune drama
>Liquid just leaves with a Metal Gear to destroy the patriots which is never expanded upon other than "I put a tracker on him lol", the game was even planned to not have a sequel
>Solidus bossfight feels out of place storywise and the sword mechanics suck dick
>Ending is another shitty open ended deal where no questions are answered and Hayter has a cheesy speech
>>
>>332213783
Why are you bringing up 3? I said nothing about it. Why do 2 fags have these complex with snakeater...1 is the best anyways
>>
>>332214132
>even if I could walk down a hallway 157 different ways, I'm still doing the same thing in essence
>>
You need to play Peace Walker to get some parts of the story, and you need to play MGS3 to figure out Peace Walker...Might as well play them both on PS3.
>>
>>332214192
You forgot where literally every character in the room ruses each other.

EVERY. FUCKING. CHARACTER.
>>
>>332213783

MGS2 is not a "fun" game, its true merit is in the context. It is richer than any other MGS-game but I wouldn't be mad at someone who is bored by the graphics and gameplay.

>Ending is another shitty open ended deal where no questions are answered and Hayter has a cheesy speech
Actually, the ending and the "cheesy" speech aligns perfectly with the game's postmodern approach.
>>
>>332214174
The difference is Ubisoft couldn't make a game fun to save the company
>>
>>332214212
2 and 3fags are locked into an eternal ouroboros of shitposting.

I can agree that 1 is the most pure game. I also like how MGS4 has its own special connection to it that none of the others have.
>>
>>332214365
Black Flag is actually a good game buried beneath mountains of bullshit.
>>
>>332214070
> 3 is some weird experimental shit that somehow became the "face" of the series for the remainder of its lifespan.

True, which probably is what ended up hurting the series more as it went along.
>>
File: 1455217022150.jpg (97 KB, 472x514) Image search: [Google]
1455217022150.jpg
97 KB, 472x514
>>332214469
>shitting on mgsv while defending blackflag
>>
>>332214617
The difference between Black Flag and MGSV is that while Black Flag is a good game buried in bullshit, MGSV is a mediocre game using bullshit as its selling point.
>>
>>332214254
I don't know what you're trying to say with this but it doesn't really change or counter my position.

Besides, why would I want to do it so many ways? Only reason to replay it is to achieve the highest rank, which isn't particularly difficult and generally just employs one tactic.
>>
>>332214319
MGS2 was more of a "fun" game than MGS1, tone and atmosphere wise. Wasn't as dark, wasn't as serious, and this trend continued big time to MGS3, which was the most silly and lighthearted of the games.
>>
File: 1456583583737.gif (2 MB, 385x325) Image search: [Google]
1456583583737.gif
2 MB, 385x325
>>332214842
alright, im done in this thread.
>>
>>332206480
You've done it about as wrong as you possibly could have. You deserve every bit of disappointment you feel.
>>
>>332214929
Yeah, it wasn't as grim. With "fun", I was refering to gameplay, not atmosphere.
>>
>>332214929
Cam Clarke makes 1 more fun by default
>>
>>332214929
Id argue that PW was the most silly and lighthearted

MGS3 did good with Ocelot/Snake shenanigans but it took itself way too seriously toward the end.
>>
>>332214842
>Black Flag is a good game buried in bullshit

There's no "good game" inbetween all the bullshit of Black Flag. MGSV at least is a consistent arcade stealth experience with some neat gameplay elements.
>>
>>332212795
You will understand someday.
>>
>>332215247
I was only talking about 1-3, but I agree that Peace Walker was overall the most lighthearted. I mean, the dates with Paz alone make that a pretty easy sell.

If we're talking all the metal gear games, most fun gameplay wise goes to Revengence.
>>
>>332215403
>MGSV at least is consistent mediocrity with an overblown mobile game attachment

fixed

I'm saying with slight adjustments and focused design BF couldve been alot more than what it was. But MGSV is fundamentally broken and is better off with a complete reset.
>>
File: +123.gif (358 KB, 500x357) Image search: [Google]
+123.gif
358 KB, 500x357
>>332215672
>MGSV at least is consistent mediocrity with an overblown mobile game attachment

i chuckled. It's true.
>>
File: 16549546.png (387 KB, 640x364) Image search: [Google]
16549546.png
387 KB, 640x364
I found some solace after throwing away the game. I'm not sure why, but i definitely feel a lot better.
>>
File: 1458783188148.png (174 KB, 386x328) Image search: [Google]
1458783188148.png
174 KB, 386x328
why is everyone on /v/ literally gay and melodramatic.
Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.