[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the Talos Principle the greatest game of our generation?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4
File: Talos_Wallpaper05.jpg (652 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Talos_Wallpaper05.jpg
652 KB, 1920x1080
Is the Talos Principle the greatest game of our generation?
>>
>>332203963

No.
>>
>>332204247
Care to elaborate?
>>
>>332204376

No.
>>
>There is one poster in this thread.
>>
>>332204614
There are 3 though..
>>
>>332203963
yes probably
>>
I read so many negative reviews that it deterred me from purchase.

Doesn't seem like a good game let alone greatest anything.
>>
>>332205116
Is this bait?
>>
it's my favourite puzzle game for sure

if you can get over the fact that the subject matter is pretty pretentious and kind of philosophical it's a really great and interesting game with (mostly) well designed puzzles and a pretty good story

any recommendations for similar shit? the witness isn't really cutting it but talos gave me a craving for solving puzzles
>>
I haven't played it or watched anything about it. What makes it so good?
>>
I liked the Witness puzzles more but this game has way more substance so I enjoyed it more
>>
Is that a fucking servitor?
>>
>>332205439
Well first and above all it's not popular or mainstream so /v/ will love it regardless.
>>
>>332205296
No, it's common sense.
>>
File: Sepiks_Prime_Closeup.png (929 KB, 829x625) Image search: [Google]
Sepiks_Prime_Closeup.png
929 KB, 829x625
>indie devs stealing assets
L O L
>>
File: antichamber.jpg (27 KB, 463x292) Image search: [Google]
antichamber.jpg
27 KB, 463x292
Meh, the puzzles were all fairly straight forward after you figure out the few gimmicks. The whole philosophy of the game is just edgy religion bashing with a bit of AI morality. Gehenna was an accurate representation of a website full of people who thought they were the most intelligent beings: absolutely miserable to wade through.

Pick related was a much better puzzle game.
>>
>>332205116
It's a nice puzzle game, great design all around except for a couple of puzzles. You should give it a go if you like puzzle games.
>>
>>332203963
maybe
>>
>>332203963
Antichamber > The Witness > Talos
>>
>>332203963
Greatest game of our generation? Not a chance.

Solid puzzle game worth playing? Definitely.
>>
>>332206426
>edgy religion bashing
What the fuck am I reading.
>>
>>332207140
The whole game is a humanist retelling of the Garden of Eden, whereby "eating the forbidden fruit" and disobeying God is the good ending.

Did you even play the game?
>>
>>332207767

Nothing "edgy" in that.
>>
>>332207767
That's true, but it doesn't mean they're bashing religion.
I found it to be linked more to the allegory of the cave.
>>
>Want to play Talos Principle again
>Remember the hologram clone puzzles
>>
>>332208327
This. Hated those things. Playing the DLC now, it's even more infuriating regarding those damn things.

The game is great. If you enjoyed Portal then this is much better than that so play it. Also the OST is GOAT
>>
>>332207767
Adam and Eve disobeyed God, which gave them free will
>>
>>332207767
Hows that bashing? You had to prove your "humanity", you'd do like Adam did.
/v/ gets more retarded by the month, Jesus.
>>
>>332208662
Adam and Eve were severely punished for their (her) transgression. In Christianity one is told "the meek shall inherit the Earth". In this game we have man playing the role of God, where only the intelligent will inherit the Earth.

Just because the game has roots in classical philosophy does not mean one of the major themes is anti-religious rationality.
>>
>>332208014
The Messenger ending was the Allegory of the Cave, agreed. But that is not the 'true' ending. So it is contradicting the allegory by presenting mans true purpose is to ascend beyond the cave, not to keep returning to it.
>>
>>332208327
Those were amazing though. Especially when you got a platform and you could ride your hologram self.
>>
>>332209708
I felt dumb when I realised what I was supposed to do with those platforms
>>
>>332203963
If they would' ve split the levels onto more worlds, yes.
>>
Talos Principle was a really fun puzzle game with a great atmosphere.

>>332206426
This was a fun game too.
>>
>>332209791
Me too but there wasn't much else I could think of doing with them.
>>
>>332206010

sepiks prime looks like shit though, like every enemy in destiny
>>
>>332203963
it would be if Inifnifactory hadn't come out
>>
>>332205415
Yeah I always have to get over philosophical stuff, what a detraction
>>
File: 345634567.gif (889 KB, 500x286) Image search: [Google]
345634567.gif
889 KB, 500x286
>MLA too tsuntsun to accept my invitation out
Yeah it's a smartass but maybe preferable to being alone.
>>
>>332203963
No, but it's definitely the greatest puzzle game of our generation.
>>
>>332210631
a lot of people view it as a negative, especially in games where it might not be handled very well

i thought it was pretty well-handled but i'm an idiot, I don't think it'd be a huge leap to call it pretentious and if you just wanted to do some puzzles and not fuck about with a "what does it mean to be alive/human" genesis retelling it could definitely be a downside
>>
>>332211491
The only poorly handled part was the Milton Library System. Unless it was supposed to be the mouthpiece for edgy pseudo intellectuals which you rightfully send to the recycle bin, in which case it was perfect.
>>
>>332212440

the MLS is meant to basically be a self-important dick whose original purpose was to test how self-aware the AIs were. Over presumabely centuries of being left alone, it began to diverge from this.

I mean it basically erases most of human history for being "inconsistent" so its not meant to be a true intellectual.
>>
>>332203963
thought that was Wheatley in the thumbnail
>>
>>332207767

>disobeying God

except God, ultimately, wants you to disobey him. The God is not the AI, but the humans that created it, and by extension you, that wanted the AI to produce life. I mean, God himself is not portrayed as evil, just deeply afraid of losing purpose and existence.

The whole theme of the game is the idea of Genesis, where one generation is going to die and is left with the choice whether or not to sire and guide the next generation when they will have no knowledge of if they will succeed or even if the world will continue after their death.

Its more focused on the spiritual questions within religion than religion as an institution and if you're so sensitive about art based off your religion, you've probably not read every single piece of literature about Christianity since forever.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.