[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been playing SM64 for the better part of Saturday for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 6882-super mario 64.jpg (311 KB, 620x429) Image search: [Google]
6882-super mario 64.jpg
311 KB, 620x429
I've been playing SM64 for the better part of Saturday for the first time ever and I was wondering - was this the first 3D platformer, or did it just improve immensely on a formula that a few have tried before?

I genuinely don't know. But it's a hell of a first attempt, if it is that.
>>
>>332073571
BUT
>>
>Alpha Waves had players bounce on platforms in 3D as early as 1990. The earliest example of a true 3D platformer is a French computer game called Alpha Waves, created by Christophe de Dinechin and published by Infogrames in 1990 for the Atari ST, Amiga, and PC.

There you go anon. All I had to do was google "first 3D platformer"
>>
>>332073571

There were a couple of first person 3D platformers that pre-date it, but i'm pretty sure it's among the first of the third person 3D platformers....and it set the bar stupidly high.
>>
>>332073950
god forbid someone starts a game discussion in a way other than "let's talk about [game]"
>>
>>332074296

Sorry, anon. It's gotta be more interesting than that to start a thread.
>>
>>332073571
the first 3d platformer I can think of is Jumpin Flash, which is actually a first person platformer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyQI10yfl1E

But Mario 64 wasnt influenced at all by it, the playstation didnt have an analog stick for many years.
>>
It was the first third person 3D platformer with complete 360 degree camera control.
>>
You are realizing that SF64 for as fun as it is, did the industry more harm than good by setting the bar low again for platformer physics and controls.
>>
>>332077104
I mean Banjo-Kazooie. lol

Don't ask me why I was thinking of SF64.
>>
>>332073659
FIRST
>>
>>332077104
>>332077186
>no momentum
>shit tutorial for every move
>more emphasis on dialog
>more unskippable cutscenes
I blame Banjo for giving way to a lot of shit.
>>
it was pretty much the quake of 3d platforming

not the first, but the one that set the standard for every game in the genre that came after it
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.