[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My psychology professor lectured for two and a half hours today
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6
File: 2016-03-09_13-47-15.png (258 KB, 340x340) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-09_13-47-15.png
258 KB, 340x340
My psychology professor lectured for two and a half hours today on how video games are unhealthy if you're treating them any differently than you'd treat a television show or film. You're apparently supposed to see video games as nothing more than a form of entertainment. If you treat them as an escape from reality, you're putting yourself at serious health risks. Your chances of having anxiety and depression difficulties are both increased, due to you not knowing how to cope with reality's burdens without a video game to play, leading to anxiety. As for depression, you're apparently constantly disappointed with real life as opposed to the reality in video games, which leads to the depression, which actually isn't that far-fetched of a hypothesis. Other things that treating video games as an escape from reality include: inability to socialize in a normal manner, problems finding anything besides video games interesting, and apparently people who do this are so addicted to it that they're constantly spending money to get larger collections to suit their needs

Is my professor just a shitass individual, or is it actually unhealthy to treat video games as an escape from reality?
>>
they're pretty biased
>>
File: 1454288718252.jpg (76 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1454288718252.jpg
76 KB, 1024x1024
If reality wasn't so fucking garbage 90% of the time I'd agree but looking how most peoples lives turn out I'm not sure how you're expected to not want to escape reality
>>
>>332066351
He's probably right.
There's a reason why 99% of all autists in first world countries plays video games
>>
>>332066351
everyone has their own forms of escapism and reward mechanisms instilled in them - some people use physical possessions, substance abuse, sloth, gluttony - video games can cause issues, but it's all relevant. I'm happy with the hell I've chosen.
>>
>>332066351
MY NIGGA SGP RAIDER KLAN BLACKLAND RADIO THE BLACK GOD

too bad he sucks now
>>
>psychology
>science

Disregard your teacher
>>
>You're apparently supposed to see video games as nothing more than a form of entertainment

I'm confused, that makes perfect sense. What do you guys see video games as?
>>
>>332066953
reminder that crackhead sgp smoked his brain away

but, some of his music did some great shit for its time
>>
>>332066351
He mixes the cause and the effect, I wouldn't say that using video game for escapism cause depression and anxiety, I'd say anxienty and depression urges some people to find some sort of exit.
But then again psychology is mostly a scam run by idiot, I'm not surprise he'd twist numbers to fit his shitass world view.
>>
>>332066351
I don't get this. People constantly ignore, talk shit about, and over all be shitty people to outcasts/socially challenged people. Yet they condemn the things they use to escape as unhealthy? Whole shit is fucked.
>>
>>332066351
AND THE S STANDS FOR A SUCKA
>>
>>332067561
Saw him live couple weeks ago, it was fucking great.
>>
>>332067275
yea dude, mysterious phonk and intoxxxicated are real classics and in my opinion, revolutionary during its time

well, 2bh 2012-2014 was such a good time for rap with denzel curry, lil ugly mane n such
>>
>>332067631
Should I bother listening to the other ULT members?
>>
>>332066351
He forgot to mention that people use TV to escape from reality too but he's right
>>
>>332066351

It can be in a sense, but there's really only two ways to do that.

Either spend so much fucking time playing them that you're not doing anything other than eating, sleeping, pissing/shitting, and playing games.

Or burying yourself away in the social structure of an MMO the same way some people fuck themselves over immersing themselves in social media like facebook, and forgetting that these "friends" aren't actually friends and shit.
>>
>>332066351
>Is my professor just a shitass individual
>psychology professor
I believe you have answered your own question.
>>
>>332067691
sgp blew it all

he could be the king of this underground shit going on right now if he didn't smoke his sanity away. the klan especially. he just completely fucked it all. no one has a worse series of career choices than purrp. fucking shame.

also, RIP to lum until that secret circle society shit gets revealed a little more. it's probably just a dream at this point, though.
>>
>>332066351
I think he's right OP. That just described me perfectly.
>>
>>332067691
lil ugly mane is weirdly active on facebook, he teased some collab with wiki and antwon.
He might come back

>>332067758
Nah, it's one of my main problem with crew/posse/rap group nowadays, they generaly have one or 2 good artist.
If you want something similar listen to bones, chris travis or kamiyada.
>>
>>332067251
This
>>
Escapism is unhealthy in general, but I find video games to be the worst way to foster it. Unless you're on drugs or something.
>>
>>332066351
Everything he says is right.
>>
>>332067951
What happened to SGP, I didn't follow the news, wasn't really listening to rap when his mixtapes and album came out.

As for lum, I prefer an artist that quits while his ahead than the opposite.
>>
>see video games as nothing more than a form of entertainment. If you treat them as an escape from reality

I see this as a contradiction considering most entertainment media is an escape from reality (action movies, fantasy novels etc.)
>>
>>332066351
> If you treat X an escape from reality, you're putting yourself at serious health risks.
Oh wow, I guess you really need a psychology degree to be that wise.
>>
>>332067758
dob't listen to any ULT members, but check out some of the old raider klan members. yung simmie, kenshin travis, xavier wulf, eddy baker, bones. also, check out $uicideboy$. all of their albums are free to download at suicideboys.bandcamp.com and they're seriously so fucking good. they're making a collab with denzel called ULT $UICIDE pretty soon. $crim produced NARCOTICS on imperial, and denzel let him use the threatz sample to produce CHERRY P.I.E.
>>
>>332067983
>>332068265
thanks for the recs senpai, i already listen to seshollowater.
>>
I'm proud of /v/ for recognizing SGP in that pic

Shame everything he did post blackland was trash
>>
>>332068152
he was pretty much the king of the memphis revival shit, but make a series of the worst possible career choices. if you don't know who he is, he was the primary leader of the raider klan, a three-six inspired group out of florida. they were close friends with ASAP. they all started coming up at the same time, around mid 2011 to 2012. after around mid-2012, purrp just went fucking crazy and started smoking insane amounts of crack and livestreaming him doing it and all the insane shit he'd say on it. there's been several times he's said on twitter that he was going on killing sprees (even as recently as this week) and just starting shit with every single person possible. he made problems with everyone in the klan, and started shit with tons of labels and producers that really fucked with him heavy.

he essentially just moved everyone who was ever into him away by being an unlikable fuckhead. an incredible pity.
>>
He seems like he has an axe to grind and some of those points don't seem to have a concrete correlation. If someone is playing games to avoid stressors of reality then they're treating them as a form of entertainment because that's what entertainment is: a, typically, non-stressful activity that provides enjoyment. I'd argue that the vast majority of people who play video games don't face depression because "life isn't like a video game" that's such a foolish conclusion to apply to such a large demographic. Yes video game addiction, like every other addiction, can take over your life and cause social issues, depression, anxiety, etc. but addiction isn't inherent to video games or more likely to happen with video games. People who just treat video games as an escape from reality aren't necessarily addicts and most of what he's talking about only applies to addicts who spend the majority of the day playing video games and I'd argue that a heroin addict or alcoholic face similar issues.
>>
>>332067251
Hobby
>>
Video games are an active hobby, unlike film or tv which are passive. By definition it is different from them and people who don't analyze games as a different medium in itself and instead just group it together with shows are uneducated plebs.
>>
>>332066351
He's spot on.
>>
>You're apparently supposed to see video games as nothing more than a form of entertainment

no shit

psychology really is shit tier
>>
File: ffta.png (544 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
ffta.png
544 KB, 720x480
>>332066351
>>
>>332068791
>unlike film or tv which are passive
And you're calling others plebs.
>>
>>332071110
Shut the fuck up Marche
>>
>>332071110
>It's okay for half the world to be turned into monsters just so my waifu doesn't have to dye her hair

Nah son. Marche was the true hero you're just a faget
>>
whoops
>>332071893
meant for
>>332071313
>>
Whaddya know, things are bad in excess.

Variety is the spice of life. People who have multiple hobbies and pastimes are more happy than people with tunnel vision. Delayed gratification is healthier than instant gratification. (drugs, vidya)

that's common sense to being happy 101. people who have other hobbies and responsibilities and don't play vidya all the time tend to actually enjoy the games more than us virgins who play every day
>>
File: Image for kangaroos.jpg (1 MB, 2000x2210) Image search: [Google]
Image for kangaroos.jpg
1 MB, 2000x2210
>>332066351
Your professor is right, except about the depression part. Videogames aren't alcohol.
>>
>>332066351
Video games, unlike television and movies, actually requires input and activity, which makes them very different. Video games can provide a more social experience than film and television. I don't know if those differences really matter when talking about an escape from reality; everyone has their own escapes, its just a matter of how much you escape... Video games can certainly be unhealthy. Just like anything in life: everything in moderation, don't neglect your responsibilities, if you are getting depressed find other hobbies, yadda yadda yadda.
>>
>>332067251
Some people see video games as their culture
>>
I don't get it.
How is escaping from reality healthier than living a "healthy" life when reality is shit enough to make you want to escape from it in the first place?
>>
>>332066660
This honestly.

I could play video games all day or be a normie faggot texting all day in an echo chamber fishing for likes

I havent suffered from depression only anxiety which I've been overcoming and if anything my parents are to blame since as a child I was never given a chance to play outside or even visit friends until I was 13 and 17

I'm socially retarded but i've been getting better because of work.
>>
File: 1458942850329.jpg (181 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1458942850329.jpg
181 KB, 480x640
>>332066351
I dont understand why most people think video games are so singular. Your professor has obviously never played an online game before. You meet thousands of people per day online, probably more or less depending on whag game you play. You are always communicating with others while playing online as well. How can this be unhealthy and how is it any different from talking to people you see daily in real life? The only difference I see is you are still communicating and talking normally except that you both are enjoying an activity.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying video games.
>>
he's 100% correct
>>
>>332066351
People like him are one of the reasons why I only play video games and don't socialize at all. It's biased as fuck and complete garbage.

Basically anything you do as a hobby can become "unhealthy" if you exaggerate it, but retards like him only think video games are like this.
>>
>>332066351
The only problem is that he thinks they CAN be treated "as movies".
There is only one way to "treat" video games: playing them, and facing the psychological consequences. There is no middle ground. Your professor doesn't know because he isn't a gamer.
>>
File: 1455951898555.png (95 KB, 520x390) Image search: [Google]
1455951898555.png
95 KB, 520x390
>>332066351
>Psychology

ayyylmao

I bet that cunt doesn't even run statistical analysis on his results and instead his data is either skullfucked by selection bias or the p value is probably >0.2
>>
>>332066351
>psychology
Get a real fucking degree lmao
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.