[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /v/, I've lost a lot of faith in video games. Pleas
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 47
File: not.jpg (105 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
not.jpg
105 KB, 1920x1080
Hi /v/,

I've lost a lot of faith in video games. Please tell me a game that you think is one of the best ever, one that everyone should play, and explain why. Make sure you include an email or steam id or something in your post so I can contact you.

In one hour I'll gift one of you (non-randomly) a steam game of your choice <= $100. The game I gift doesn't have to be the one you recommended.

I'll also select two more <= $50 consolation prizes randomly by post number raffle.

No begging please. In the event of 404 please refer to >>>/r9k/27411785

Past threads:
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/332040453
>>332047823
>>>/r9k/27408868

Past winner gifts:
-Count Lucanor
-Rise of the Tomb Raider
-Trails in the Sky
-Two yet to be accepted
>>
File: burger feast.png (27 KB, 307x638) Image search: [Google]
burger feast.png
27 KB, 307x638
>>332052513
trying again opnie sama
>>
>>332052513
Can it be a non-steam game? Recommendation, I mean.
>>
File: 1453745829027.jpg (158 KB, 1500x997) Image search: [Google]
1453745829027.jpg
158 KB, 1500x997
>>332052610
>>332052710
that particularly contest is over senpai

I'm waiting patiently for my delivery as we speak
>>
File: 1452168625132.png (654 KB, 580x582) Image search: [Google]
1452168625132.png
654 KB, 580x582
>>332052731
It can be any video game.

Tell me where the soul of vidya is.
>>
>>332052513
I don't need a new steam game anon, here's some suggestions on the house!
I've got two recommendations, if you don't already have them. Risk of rain and terraria. both amazing games, that everyone should try.

If sprite grapics turn you off for whatever reason then i guess they aren't for you.

RoR has:
>intense difficulty
>multiple unlocks
>insanely good atmosphere
> fun and diverse class choice
>customizable gameplay.
>multiplayer that is great fun with friends.

Terraria has
>extensive crafting system
>very well polished progression system despite having randomly generated worlds.
>infinite replay value, and this is without mods.
>also has fun multiplayer
>tons of enemies and bosses
>exploring is super fun

both are 2D platformers with intense shooting acton.

If you try them out I hope you enjoy! they're my two most favorite steam games!
>>
>>332052513
[email protected]

I recommend Final Fantasy X. The story, characters, music and ending... Everything was so beautiful and epic.
>>
File: 1453752064926.jpg (144 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1453752064926.jpg
144 KB, 1024x576
>>332053056
thanks senpai.

there seem to be a lot of people who don't want steam games
>>
>>332052513
Can I still join, OP?
Dont really wanna hog prizes
>>
File: 1296046269_king-of-cosmos.jpg (68 KB, 638x401) Image search: [Google]
1296046269_king-of-cosmos.jpg
68 KB, 638x401
>>332053168
I just feel bad asking a random stranger for them familia. I'm happy to help.
>>
>>332052513
Fallout 4 is the best game because you making character will take few hours to make :D hopefully more /v/irgins will join
>>
>>332053056
>>332053168
>Terraria
OP if you do decide to get this you should host a lobby for fresh unused characters.
It is at its best when playing with friends or with random faggots from /v/
>>
Divinity OS is kinda the best RPG out there. Amazing Soundtracks, likeable characters, well made fighting and physic system and good balance are the reason Im recommending it.

Its not just good, it kinda somehow has a soul, ya know?

ID on steam: tibarn
>>
>>332053374
>random fagots from /v/
speaking of which, the Risk of Rain thread is always clamoring for a host too.
>>
File: 1458205757291.jpg (130 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1458205757291.jpg
130 KB, 900x900
>>332052513
/id/kurwa814
dude you gotta get into esport games, the ranked is so much fun on League Of Legends and CSGO, also the game gets 100x better when you´re streaming to twitch while playing it.
>why its good
because ultimately it´s a skill based team game. you work together you score together coz of the team effort it´s social, fun, demanding and IMO just genuinely entertaining.
If i were to expand from the 2 i´d go for SFV
>>
Overall I'd say my two favourite games to be Mega Man 3 and The Secret of Monkey Island.

In general I'd highly recommend Mega Man 3 for the sole reason of how well it controls, good music and entertaining boss fights.

Monkey Island is just maximum comfy.
>>
Civilization V Complete all dlcs
Reason: its fun

You can keep your money.
>>
I'll pass on the prize but Decent 2 is the pinnacle of the medium for me. It just has this atmosphere where outer space isn't empty and lethal it's actively dangerous. All of the robot enemies make horrifying almost animalistic noises, the explosions, music, and sound effects are all filled with this gravitas that is just so bracing. The gameplay is fairly traditional (DOOM in zero-g) but it is used effectively and without any blights or blemishes (basically even though it's basic it doesn't mess anything up). The soundtrack is incredible, the kind of music that sticks with you, evoking cold frigid environments through a warbling electric guitar and sweltering hot environments with electronica peppered with screams and gun fire. The whole thing is like an action packed roller coaster version of the early shock games or a more realistic and less shlocky version of the dead space games. Also the main character (known as the material defender) just has the best voice. All this and due to the love and hard work of fans the whole thing is playable on modern machines through the reborn project (bundled in the steam version and the gog version).
>>
>>332053251
- The game is really pretty. Compared to the other two 3D Fallout games, it's quite colorful.
- The FPS part of the game is greatly, greatly improved. The guns feel like they have power. The explosives actually work. Melee feels like Skyrim.
- The story is interesting. Certainly not the best, but it had a few twists and turns I didn't see coming.
- Power armor is quite cool. I think they did this really well. It's more like a vehicle that needs fuel and maintenance unlike the last games where it was just an outfit.
>>
OP, you still here?
>>
>>332052513
Gunstar heroes is the shit
>>
Easy. It's Paper Mario TTYD.

Fuck the OG N64 Paper Mario. Well, not really; it was a pretty decent title and still the second-best Paper Mario of all time. But The Thousand Year Door just goes and blows that shit out of the water, no contest.

Story and setting? Better in every single aspect. The first game was kind of testing the waters and playing it a little safe, and then TTYD saw that shit and said "nah, this is how you fucking do it". Notable chapters include a segment where Mario becomes a fucking pro wrestler complete with kayfabe and heel turns, a train segment that takes notes from classic murder mysteries, and a chapter where you and your party have to herd a massive amount of these little grey bastards called "why the fuck are you over there when I blew you over to where I am now you goddamned mongoloid". Every character has at least five hilarious lines of dialog and just about every chapter is gripping as all hell. The side stories are neat too, although after all these years I'm still not sure how to feel about the giant space computer wanting to fuck Peach.

Gameplay. Standard as the last one, but more shit. More interactions, more abilities, more items, more dungeons, more challenges, more badges; you'd be hard-pressed to find anything that didn't expand on the original, which was fucking bonkers for the N64.

Art and graphics improved by a massive fucking leap. Sprites got replaced with models, the new 3D effects are neat (but fuck up Dolphin so hard that it can't walk straight), and everything is just an uprezzed, uptextured improvement that you would expect from any good sequel.

And in the time it's taken me to write this shit out, somebody's probably already sung it's praises. That's how fucking good it is. /v/ likes it, and talks about it, frequently. It's good. It was a relic from one of the last times that vidya was truly great, and made by people with passion and drive instead of indie shitheads with no fucks to spare
>2000 character limit
>>
>>332053251
- Crafting. You can create many things including mods for your weapons, armor and power armor. You can also craft medicines and drugs.

- All the clutter is useful. Pick up all the junk.

- I loved the updated looks of the various wasteland creatures. Mirelurks, Super mutants, deathclaws etc.

- Common low level enemies pose a threat. Even the lowly bloatfly can have a legendary mutation and will do a lot of damage.

- Generally less buggy. I've only had a few annoying bugs. Less than I imagined for a game of this size and complexity.

- Mods. Bethesda games have always been very moddable and this one is no different.

- Armor layer system. It's pretty cool to have a base outfit, then a piece of armor for every part of the body. However, by about 60 hours playtime I'd already had gotten the best armors and haven't found an upgrade since.
>>
>>332052513
Age of Empires 2.

Now I hear you thinking that old game? No one wants to play as a nigger, ect....

However old, AoE2 is not. With updates still ongoing and further dlc fpr a game made in 1999? Crazy right? This isn’t some pay to win or subscription grabbing uniform hat lucky dip box of derp, this is an actual game.

A game that is balanced. A game that requires a bit of skill and knowledge with a decent learning curve. One that is always played 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. You need only look at the statistics. With unique civs it could be almost like a birth of moba, yet it with its RTS elements, PVP madness and WHY ARENT YOU PLAYING THIS YET it truely is a game everyone should have in their collection.

Weither its just for a random game once a week, or an entire day, each game being unique and different against different people in a balanced setting allows to no whining, aside from players you are teamed with. In the 15 years on and off I’ve been playing it, I’ve come across hackers once. ONCE. It’s not a graphically appealing OMG ITS SO REAL game, but more of a OH SHIT DEM PHANTS BE CRASHING THROUGH MA WALLS.

How many games can give you an old shit moment, a stressed fill moment, a panicked one and a rewarding, and I mean proper rewarding like you just beat some smug arsed cunt at chess kind of rewarding all in a single 30 minute game. Patience? Victory comes to those willing to take it. Its all down to you, your strategy, your knowledge. No super fucked up mouse and insert keyboard of the week here shit. No OMG 907xxxxxxxxxx GPAHHIX needed, just a bog standard Imma fuck your shit pc. So if you want to challenge yourself against another player, another person, in a way that allows only you to blame if you go wrong, then this is the game. Nothing beats the feeling of winning, knowing that your enemy is truly powerless to stop you. You game?

Sincerely,

Your future brain rapist.
>>
File: food.jpg (299 KB, 1244x740) Image search: [Google]
food.jpg
299 KB, 1244x740
>>332053204
How about:
If you won a major prize already, you can't win this major prize

If you won a minor one already, you can't win a minor one

otherwise it's fine

also, depicted:
the results of last thread's game
the original winner's order wasn't actually < $50 because of the jewishness of the restaurant charging 38.50 for delivery and 5% surcharge for holidays, so even though I gave him his gift anyway, after selecting a bonus non-food winner, I selected a third winner whose menu I chose. so there were a total of 3 <= $100 winners

I changed his sweet lassi to mango lassi though, kek
and switched out the 2x rotti for another lassi because lassi is based and rotti is just plain bread as far as I've seen

I think he went to sleep so he hasn't collected his prize but he wanted dark souls III. Same goes for the 2nd bonus winner

so Dr. Breedlove, MD and Face Painted Individual, get online to get your gifts
>>
>>332053916
/id/JoBloggs/
>>
>>332052513
honestly? Brave Fencer Musashi. The graphics are dated of course, but the voice acting is campy, doesn't get in the way, and can be funny at times as well. It's an action rpg that doesn't take itself seriously while still having a story interesting enough to pay attention to. The gameplay is great. There's a copy ability like kirby that makes for very interesting fighting styles, good exploration, and abilities specific to the character that you gain access to as you progress in the game. I would recommend this to anyone, especially if the age of the game doesn't put you off.

I'd like GTA5 if you pick me.
>>
File: header[1].jpg (24 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header[1].jpg
24 KB, 460x215
>>332052513

The game I suggest is Wolfenstein: The New Order.

To me, it is like one of the old Ravensoft games, Soldier of Fortune or Elite Force: You get to play a movie!

For example, the immersion is great because in TNO, the localisation is almost perfect. Almost all of the German speaking villains are native German-speakers, they use different dialects. You see plenty of ads and posters in correct German. They even created a faux-folk-album for the game, that is set in the alternate reality of TNO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_artPecEaM

ID: GinoPanino
Game of Choice: One from my wishlist, I guess :-)
>>
ITT shilling for prizes from a weeb who´s not even here anymore
>>
File: him.jpg (71 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
him.jpg
71 KB, 600x338
>>332054207
I'm right here senpai

just enjoying my meal
>>
>>332054256
Stop attention whoring you hamsterposting tripfag, and start playing vidya

Loads of good shit like Undertale and Devil Daggers hit in 2015
>>
While I have expoused my love for Descent 2, what kind of game genres do you like anon? I might be able to recommend something closer to what your looking for.
>>
File: lamulana.jpg (2 MB, 1664x1608) Image search: [Google]
lamulana.jpg
2 MB, 1664x1608
La-mulana.

I believe it is the best game ever simply because not only does it attempt to (and succeed) in innovating the 2D genre, but it is simply the best example of a videogame that uses everything we've learned about what makes a game good and instead of trying to manipulate you into feeling sad or angry at characters or tell a compelling story, it tries to be fun.

It has an incredibly complex game world filled with depth and yet the characters and story are simple. It has fantastic art design and sound design, and manages to creatively differentiate every area and make them unique.

You might dislike the jumping or how floaty the player is, but it's complimented by the level design and as you gather powerups and progress in the game, you truly become more powerful while still being presented with a challenge. It feels more fun to play as you keep going.

It's not perfect, though nothing is, there is one or two mistakes the developers have made as a result of making the most non-linear non-procedurally generated 2D action/adventure platformer ever made, but to me, that simply means that videogames can improve if they simply try, much like these developers did.

I must stress, this game does everything in its power just to be FUN, INNOVATIVE, and CREATIVE.

/id/TURNOFFTHEGAMECONSOLENOW3
>>
>>332053924
Alright.
I dont have a personal game myself but Disgaea 2 probably had the most mileage out of me (around 300 hours getting most stuff)
It has a lot of content worth going for any completionist, and even if you don't plan on doing most end-game content you'll still sink in at least 100 hours just playing the base game alone. Certainly worth a shot, specially if you own a PSP
>>
>>332054605

Thanks, anon, for the suggestion. It's on sale right now and I bought it.
>>
File: 1450633811284.png (113 KB, 247x274) Image search: [Google]
1450633811284.png
113 KB, 247x274
>>332052513
Did you forget me?
http://steamcommunity.com/id/dragonmoony
>>
>>332054520
what do you have against hamsterposting?

I would like to try underdale, but the man upstairs said I'm not allowed to like things that tumblr does

>>332054572
I think I've liked plenty of games from all genres

I would say RPG but at the same time, I don't like grinding. And I like games that have strong content rather than stretched content
>>
Heart Gold/Soul Silver

it took already amazing Pokemon games (Gold/)Silver), and made it better, but still maintained the 8-bit style that we all love, it was fucking advertised by Dylan, and Cole Sprouse, your pokemon followed you around (i liked it at least) there were wandering legendaries, the game basically gave you a Red Gyrados, the end game legendaries were amazing, both Ho-oh and Lugia, you could take out all the Gym Leaders in Kanto and Jhoto, and even though it's another pokemon game and a lot of you are gonna go "eww look at this pleb liking a game that was made after like 2006", The Pokewalker was pretty cool to a 12 year old me, and though it seems primitive almost now, i liked that game, it will forever be my favorite game ever created.
>>
File: 1451443061718.png (151 KB, 441x357) Image search: [Google]
1451443061718.png
151 KB, 441x357
nevermind then...
>>
>>332052513
One Way Heroics, neat little game with tons of replay value, im hitting 70 hours on it soon, plus its on sale 90% of the time so its usually 0.50p for the game and like £2 for the optional DLC. Not interested in the free shit.
>>
File: 130.gif (1 MB, 500x324) Image search: [Google]
130.gif
1 MB, 500x324
>>332054771
you didn't win any of the rolls, senpai
>>
>>332054747
I must warn, it's incredibly challenging and filters casuals out the gate quickly by allowing the first 1/4th of the game to be bruteforced without paying attention to tablets or puzzles, leaving you perplexed when you get to the point where you can't bruteforce at all.
>>
>>332054776
>>332053062

Have you tried Final Fantasy X OP? It's a really beautiful game with a rich story, awesome characters and an extremely fun leveling system.

You can also look up Xenoblade Chronicles. It's a long game, but every hour is worth it. It has a lot of quests and difficult monsters to test your skills on.
>>
File: 1450633654924.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1450633654924.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>>332054912
There weren't any roll when I joined you! NOT FAIR!!
>>
If RPG's are your thing and your looking for something a little different the Vanilla Ware games all have RPG elements but in different genres (strategy, action-kinda, spectacle fighter, and brawler). If your a little into horror there's parasite Eve and Koudelka (shadow hearts series) on the PS1. The golden sun games on GBA may be simplistic but they're damn sharp and lacking in grinding.
>>
File: 1440208017193.png (258 KB, 664x556) Image search: [Google]
1440208017193.png
258 KB, 664x556
>>332054931
I haven't tried it

I own xenoblade, but I only played it for a few hours before never touching it again
>>
>>332052513
I don't want your games or your money OP.
What kind of games do you like?
FPS? RTS? RPG?
Let me lay down a few greats for you.
If you like games that require both strategy and timing, try Crypt of the Necrodancer.
If you like games that require intense focus and a lot of manual dexterity, try Cook, Serve, Delicious.
If you want some grimdark edgy RNG dungeon-crawling, try Darkest Dungeon .
If you want Multiplayer Platforming NPC arena, try Risk of Rain.
If you want some ol' fashion text-based hack'n'slash, try SanctuaryRPG.
I got fucking tons of games I could suggest.
>>
File: b30.jpg (122 KB, 905x693) Image search: [Google]
b30.jpg
122 KB, 905x693
>>332054980
I was still trying to decide on the method of selecting, senpai

are you that confident you would have won if it wasn't rolls?

I would have been biased against your sticky dates desu
>>
Does OP like a steep learning curve and challenge (its a platformer)? I won't even try before you say what you think about those factors.
>>
>>332055175
Is it dustforce? La-mulana?
>>
>>332054520
You don't know how tripfagging works do you
>>
>>332055265

Dustforce, because that game is the shit!
>>
File: turn.gif (492 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
turn.gif
492 KB, 400x225
>>332055175
I would say I like them. is this going to be super meat boy?

by the way, it's been an hour. but I think I'll give 10 more minutes for people still wanting to offer suggestions
>>
>>332055143
Do you want an FPS roguelike platformer? Tower of Guns.
Do you like real time strategy war games with some anime sprinkled in? Try Valkyria Chronicles.
Do you wanna cry like a bitch? Try To the Moon.
You wanna play RTS games with pals? Try the original Dawn of War- Soulstorm. (literally 1 fucking dollar on Humble bundle right now)
You wanna be an asshole dictator of some third-world shithole? Try any of the Tropico games.
Want a not-shit survival game? Try Don't Starve. You can play it with friends, now, so there's no fucking excuse.
Rust is also acceptable.
Have you ever played Bully? It's a bit old, but it still holds up today as one of the best Rockstar games of all time.
Try Alpha Protocol. Hammy as hell, but fun.
Want a shit game to play that's kinda comfy? Deadly Premonition.
>>
>>332055321
If you don't mind teasing us, which ones do you think you like best?
>>
>>332055378

Can you recommend any happy/comfy game, that just makes you feel good? (Except maybe Animal Crossing ... )
>>
>>332055378
Do you have any games that are like Space Funeral and OFF?
>>
>>332055378
Fuck me, man, there are tons of good games to play/replay. If I'm ever feeling down, I always replay Cave Story. That always boosts my fucking hopes.
Catacomb kids is pretty fun.
Try ANY of the F.E.A.R games.
The Fallout games are great.
FTL is pretty dope.
DO YOU LIKE VN'S? PLAY FUCKIN HATOFUL BOYFRIEND AND GO FUCK A PIGEON OR SOMETHING
GOD DAMN, SON, THERE ARE SO MANY GREAT GAMES OUT THERE, YOU JUST GOTTA GRAB 'EM AND SHAKE 'EM.
>>
The Long Dark.

Probably the most immersive sandbox survival game I've played. A lot of games like Rust and DayZ have the gimmick of being PvP based with survival as almost an after thought, but I feel like the TLD is one of the few games in recent years that has done survival right, without it being too easy to break the game. Its singleplayer, and you fight against nature itself, battling staying warm, hunger, thirst, sleep and bears and wolves that will fuck your shit up if you come unprepared. Levels are fairly big, and there is a good handful to explore with some being interconnected and allowing you to travel inbetween them. I haven't played very much personally, as I don't want to burn myself out being its officially released (its early access currently, for $20), but its definitely one of the few games I'd actually recommend to anyone.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/rottmer
>>
>>332055321

Dustforce DX is by far the best 2D platformer I've ever played. It has a unique style, the comfiest soundtrack there ever is and it has CHALLENGE. Like balls to the wall challenge. The level design is super good and the replay value gets better the better you get at the game. At first you'll grind your teeth because you can't beat a level but if you actually have the patience and master the controls, you won't stop playing. As a platformer it has no other flaws EXCEPT it has digital input. This takes the most time to get used to because your movements are very input sensitive. In the long-run it benefits some aspects of the game because it teaches you to keep releasing buttons to make more accurate movements instead of holding the d-pad like an idiot and keep failing. After the initial struggle of learning the game, it became one of my favorite games ever. The more you learn about the game, the more interesting it becomes to play. If you like learning game mechanics, this is the game for you.
/id/jurmis
>>
>>332053062
>>332054931
>>332055018

You can also try the Persona series, OP. The fourth in the series, Persona 4 is super fun and my personal favorite. It has an intriguing mystery too. The game play is a mix between socializing and leveling up.
>>
>>332054632
And here's my ID just so that I don't forget
>>
File: wink.gif (569 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
wink.gif
569 KB, 500x281
>>332055404
the ******** **** **** guy was quite convincing. but I have to look closer

I'll choose the random winners first
>>
>>332055470
Happy Comfy Game? Stardew Valley. If you're a pyromaniac, try out Little Inferno. That shit is fairly comfy.
The Long Dark can be pretty comfy if you like exploring a world that's long dead.
Then there's the ultimate in comfy games: Proteus. No goal, no reason, no spook. Just gentle exploration in a world where everything makes music, day turns to night, and there are little secrets for you to find.

>>332055491
If you like Comedy, play The Drunken Paladin.
If you like strangeness, I can't really help you there, unless you wanna go into some crazy shit.
>>
>>332055545
The Long Dark is, by far, one of the comfiest fucking games I've ever played. Something about wandering a cold frozen wasteland fills me with this just... Feeling. It's pretty fucking fantastic.
>>
File: morphic jar.png (82 KB, 182x159) Image search: [Google]
morphic jar.png
82 KB, 182x159
>>332052513
Legend of Kartia
It's an old Playstation game, with art made by Yoshitaka Amano, who made most of the art for the final fantasy series. The music is top-notch and amazing.

In it, you pick one of two stories - Toxa, the knight or Lacryma, the shrine warrior - and follow their story. Sadly, you only have control of the characters during combat, and if you don't like turn-based games, it might not be for you.
Even so, it has some great moments, both in combat and in story. The characters have varied skills in magic and what they can and can't equip. You can combine magic-cards - the kKartia - to create new spells, sometimes spells that you aren't even supposed to have at that time! Moreover, you can also summon Phantoms, demons of a sort, that will help you in combat. They are varied into Common, Shadow and Doll, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Example - Doll is strong against Shadow, but weak against Common. Common is weak against Shadow and strong against Doll. You can also create weapons and armor for your characters, and win in secret texts - needed for making new spells, weapons and whatnot - armors and weapons.

the characters are well-written, and both of the player-stories intertwine with each-other, so that if you want the full story experience, you play through one character campaign and then the other.
I'd also recommend Wizardry:Tales of the Forsaken Land for the Ps2, as it has much more control, great music and an amazing story.

you also don't have to give me anything, I'm just happy to help out.
>>
>>332054931
>It's a really beautiful game with a rich story, awesome characters and an extremely fun leveling system
>lying on the internet
>>
red faction

Pretty decent gun selection
Destructable terrain
Story is pretty neat too
great multiplayer

Harvest moon 64

A great game to sit down and just enjoy how simple and nice everything is. It's easy to lose hours into and all the characters are great and memorable.

Rayman legends

Arguably one of the better platformers released this year with great level variety and going co op with a buddy is great.

Double dragon neon

Not really a favorite, but Its got really tight controls and it's really satisfying and fun. Pretty challenging too
>>
File: 1450627437553.png (276 KB, 424x412) Image search: [Google]
1450627437553.png
276 KB, 424x412
>>332052513
OP is legit.
Umaru a CUTE!
>>
that's time. I'll accept any entries before this post but not after

in a moment I'll go into the method of random selection for the <= $50 prizes
>>
>>332055896
Are you gonna roll like last time?
>>
File: 1454804535367.png (129 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1454804535367.png
129 KB, 800x800
>>332052513
Have you tried Hotline Miami?
Probably the most fun I've had in a while.
Soundtrack is also GOAT.
>>
House of the Dead.

I shouldn't have to explain this, it's one of the definitive rail shooters. Has a system of branching paths that are determined by a lot of things, but mostly whether or not certain NPCs live or die. It's got all the great cheesy lines, voicing, and plot you'd expect from an 80s zombie fiction. Or maybe it was the 90s. Whatever, go find an arcade and play it.

>implying I need your reward
>>
File: p1.jpg (18 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
p1.jpg
18 KB, 200x200
>>332055947
Yes. I'll do two sets of 3 rolls. One set for each winner.

Only the last post number of each roll counts.
First roll: determines the first digit
Second roll: determines the second digit
Third roll: third digit

That forms a 3 digit number, the closest post that gives a recommendation and a contact (whether with or after) is the winner. If more than one is equally close then we can have some sort of tiebreaker.

For example >>332055889 is 889

And this is roll 1.
>>
File: p2.jpg (145 KB, 950x950) Image search: [Google]
p2.jpg
145 KB, 950x950
>>332056114
1XX.

This is roll 2
>>
>>332056152
I thought first roll determined the first digit
>>
File: p3.jpg (105 KB, 600x700) Image search: [Google]
p3.jpg
105 KB, 600x700
>>332056152
>>.332056114
Sorry, that's 42X. No 1.

This is roll 3
>>
>>332052513

I don't care about gifts from weebs. Here are some of the finest vidya experiences you can get:

>Roguelikes:
Nethack: The greatest dungeon crawling experience. It is as if you were playing Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. You can cleverly rob shops, you can wield potions and smash the flask on a monster's head, you can cross your fingers and ask for divine intervention, you can fuck delicious sucubi. The game can get incredibly easy after a while.

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup: The greatest "arcade-like" dungeon crawling experience. The main draw from this and Nethack is that Nethack allows you to do a lot of meaningful actions. DCSS is more about pure tactical gameplay with no regards to actual dungeon crawling feel. Overall it feels more gamey. As such, your races differ a lot from each other with interesting gods to worship that grants you more abilities. It is also a lot harder than Nethack.

>Fighters
Street Fighter 3: Third Strike: It is an imbalanced game but if you play with friends you probably won't reach that point where matches devolve into shotos, the twins and chun. Parrying feels like the greatest shit and the game flows pretty fast compared to the floatyness of its successors.

>4X
Space Empires IV: You have a lot of freedom when designing your ships. Things can get pretty interesting when you play with someone else. You can send big fleets. You can get countered by those fleets if your opponent is psychic and starts to mind control some of your own ships. You said computer controlled fleets but those can get countered with viruses as well. You can turtle and make killing by inducing revolts on your enemy, steal ships, get those ships to planets with a shipyard to deconstruct those ships and gain tech by reverse engeneering. Turtle too much, and the enemy will open warp points to your major production systems and send in kamikaze to blow up your systems with ships that generate black holes.

>
>>
>>332056245
>Roguelikes
>Good
>>
File: paper.jpg (32 KB, 699x465) Image search: [Google]
paper.jpg
32 KB, 699x465
>>332056201
Winning roll is 421.
>>
File: Sissel.jpg (22 KB, 144x402) Image search: [Google]
Sissel.jpg
22 KB, 144x402
>>332052513
I dont want a game cause I have too many already, but Ghost Trick is one of my favorite games ever, and I think everyone should get to experience it at some point. The characters all have believable motives and their actions make sense, the story kept me on the edge of my seat (metaphorically) with a ton of twists and turns that I would not have seen coming, and the ending was fantastic, and left pretty much no loose ends. The artstyle and animations are superb, the characters are all very visually distinct (to the point where if you drew three or four colored lines I could tell which character you were drawing) and it used the perspective to its advantage really well, not only in gameplay but for things like the painting reveal as well. Speaking of gameplay, the puzzles start of simple and get more and more challenging, especially when the new mechanics are introduced, and it fits seamlessly in with the story. It's not my favorite game ever because there's too many to choose from, but in terms of a game that does everything that it sets out to do perfectly, I can't think of a better game than Ghost Trick.
>>
Is OP dead
>>
File: look.jpg (36 KB, 1024x571) Image search: [Google]
look.jpg
36 KB, 1024x571
>>332056346

>>332056114
>4
>>332056152
>2
>>332056201
>1

And so as far as I can see,
>>332053398
is the first random winner
>>
blade symphony https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0WM-yR5tww
>>
File: request.png (16 KB, 236x184) Image search: [Google]
request.png
16 KB, 236x184
he doesn't seem to be online, though. he'll get his gift later

Starting the second random $50 gift roll

First roll
>>
File: rumble.gif (215 KB, 500x230) Image search: [Google]
rumble.gif
215 KB, 500x230
>>332056741
1XX

Second roll
>>
>>332056201

I got this a few weeks ago, it's in my room, still in its box.

I'm about to get an extension built onto the house, so I'm saving it for when I have my own office with a glass display case.
>>
File: 1400352132881.jpg (93 KB, 500x361) Image search: [Google]
1400352132881.jpg
93 KB, 500x361
>>332056402

>Ctrl + F Ghost Trick
>Turns out it's the last post in this thread so far.

Fuck.

Anyhow OP, since this guy mentioned it first, I'll add onto it a little. Ghost Trick Phantom Detective is an amazing game. It's probably the only game I can call perfect, with it's only flaw being the lack of re-playability because once you finish this game, you never forget it. Everything from the music to the characters, the puzzles to the artstyle, the humour in the dialogue and it's unique gameplay. Everything about this game is amazing. I don't think I've ever heard any negative criticisms for this game.

If I had to tell everyone in the world to play one specific game. It's be Ghost Trick. To this day, the trailer still sends chills down my spine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OxMfwK7XKM
>>
Don't starve

A fully functioning survival game with great art style.
Crafting is really well done and the game difficulty is very balanced overall.
A lot of very tense and spooky moments will keep challenging the player.

[email protected]
>>
File: nen.jpg (191 KB, 515x488) Image search: [Google]
nen.jpg
191 KB, 515x488
>>332056819
19X

Third roll
>>
File: niyari.jpg (33 KB, 515x432) Image search: [Google]
niyari.jpg
33 KB, 515x432
>>332056852
good taste

>>332056875
The second winning roll is 195

also, thanks for the recommendations, but entries stopped >>332055896 here

I agree that ghost trick is good though. I like games like that
>>
File: 7271111721.jpg (12 KB, 201x199) Image search: [Google]
7271111721.jpg
12 KB, 201x199
when you know you lost
>>
File: open.jpg (82 KB, 515x504) Image search: [Google]
open.jpg
82 KB, 515x504
>>332054184
Looks like we have the second random winner here
>>
>>332057009
You ever played 999? Pretty good, with great atmosphere and story.
>>
File: 1457391473113.gif (495 KB, 246x200) Image search: [Google]
1457391473113.gif
495 KB, 246x200
>>332056857
>That 4 mins before death remix
Everytime man
>>
>>332057242
This and ghost trick are the two absolutely must play DS games
>>
File: gifted.png (150 KB, 1079x667) Image search: [Google]
gifted.png
150 KB, 1079x667
first person in a while to still be online.

and now I'll select the main non-random <= $100 gift.

I need some time to deliberate though so watch this space
>>
File: two-thumbs-up-tm[1].jpg (37 KB, 271x350) Image search: [Google]
two-thumbs-up-tm[1].jpg
37 KB, 271x350
>>332057213

Thanks OP!! Great guy, live long and prosper!
>>
>>332057242
I've played it

that's the same style of game, so I liked it
>>
OP I'm sorry to see this thread, its painful to see someone in the state you're in. I hope a few recommendations in this thread make you feel better about video games. As for my own choices:

>Games I've played with consistent high quality without any real low points to speak of, that I would generally recommend to anybody

Tetris
Doom 1 and 2
Diablo 2

>Games I've personally played that have very good points but also some bad parts

Final Fantasy 9
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy 12 (International Zodiac Job Version)
Legend of Dragoon
Knights of the Old Republic 2
Morrowind
Daggerfall
Shadow of the Colossus
Starcraft

>Games I haven't either personally played until completion or at all, but feel like throwing them out there

Ico
Street Fighter 2
Thief 2
Deus Ex 1
Baldur's Gate 2
Placescape Torment
Medieval 2: Total War
Fallout 1
Dark Souls
Devil May Cry 4

I hope you'll like these if you try them out, sorry if none of them interest you. I don't really play games as much as I should, being someone who comes to this place. I don't want any steam money or anything.
>>
>>332052513

Arma 3.
If you have a powerful rig and take your time to look for the most played mods, you will have fun. It's very different from every shooter. I had never such intense battles with my friends against other guys in various mods like King of the Hill, Battle Royale, Breaking Point, to only name a few.
With the integration of Steam Workshop, handling those mods is pretty easy.
If you PC is not very powerful, I would not touch it. The framerate drops too hard, and below 30 fps it's way too hard to land a hit at something that moves.
But, I'm honest. If Arma 3 would run at my PC at constant 60 fps, I doubt I would play anything other than this game and its mods.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Zerulol
>>
>>332052513

I don't want your charity but Don't Starve is a criminally underrated masterpiece. It's fucking brutal at first and each time you get a little bit farther. I have hundreds of hours played and there's still so much I haven't done. If anything put it in your wish list and wait for it to go on sale.

That being said I don't really like Shipwrecked and Together is only fun if you start a new world with a couple of friends who have a basic idea of how to survive until the next season.

Nobody talks about this game. Fuck all of you.
>>
File: choose.png (534 KB, 956x535) Image search: [Google]
choose.png
534 KB, 956x535
>>332053712
I can't choose between
>>332053712
and
>>332055545

So I'm giving both of you the <= $100 prize

Thanks for playing everyone. Of course I'll take all of your recommendations into account (for the ones I haven't already played).
>>
>>332058182
Not a winner but still OP, AoE2 is the best RTS game out there. Its cheap as fuck so be sure to give it a go. Nothing beats domination.
>>
File: 1428882436841.jpg (273 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1428882436841.jpg
273 KB, 1024x768
>>332052513
>>332058182
>ctrl F "Ace Combat"
>No hits
Came late but I don't care about the reward. I was in your position and Ace Combat opened my god damn eyes to trying genres outside what you're used to. 4,5 and Zero are typically what people suggest you stick with.

Personally picked it up because I listened to Zero:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80XAJKqRU9k

Based on that along with a few threads about it convinced me to give 4,5 and zero a shot. It does a very good job of making you feel like the most feared thing in existence, possibly inhuman and the OST is god damn magical.

>>332054776
Based on that, you'll definitely get a satisfactory experience playing on harder difficulties when the your acclaimed status matches up the to the difficulty you're performing at. Not easy by any means but I never felt it was unfair save a few exceptional missions.

Shame I can't really describe what about gameplay makes it so satisfying to play, you won't get it from watching videos as much as you would doing it yourself. Well up to you, I bought them on a whim and it paid off with interest.

>>332056402
>>332056857
Backing these two niggas up. My friend got the game and beat it in one night and despite that he still claims it's his favorite DS game hands down. Took me much longer to beat it myself but I have to agree with him on all accounts.

For DS games if nothing else pick up Ghost Trick.
>>
>>332058182
Congratulations to the winners!
>>
File: op delivers.png (410 KB, 1243x809) Image search: [Google]
op delivers.png
410 KB, 1243x809
>>332058182

Thanks again, OP!
>>
File: 1458073797476.jpg (11 KB, 250x333) Image search: [Google]
1458073797476.jpg
11 KB, 250x333
>>332058715
>"From a hospital bed"
>>
>>332058784

didn't he break his asshole or something and he was in the emergency room posting codes
>>
File: message.png (176 KB, 1296x872) Image search: [Google]
message.png
176 KB, 1296x872
and that's a wrap

still some gifts to give for those who were offline by the time they were chosen, hopefully I can settle that tomorrow

maybe we can do this some other time. until then, thanks for the recommendations
>>
>>332059020
You're very welcome OP. Have a good day and congrats to the winners.
>>
File: BattleWorlds-Kronos.jpg (935 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
BattleWorlds-Kronos.jpg
935 KB, 1600x900
If turn based strategy games are your cup of tea, take a look at Battle Worlds Kronos.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/237470/

It helped me with my Advance Wars withdrawal.

It's not the best ever, but is one of those hidden games that makes you angry nobody recommended to you yet.

It's like Advance Wars, but with hexagrid and without the COs.
Units are nice, planes consume fuel, infantry can plant mines, there's special units, all that crap.

I'm just saying this because I feel it's terribly underrated.

If you want the eternal GOTY, CiV with expansions, but you already knew that.
>>
>>332060926

I just looked into this and it looks amazing, looks just like Advance Wars, I was looking for a good clone of that game to play on PC with some friends

On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being JUST like it, how close is this to Advance Wars?
Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 47

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.