[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I get the MGS novelizations? Are they worth it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
Should I get the MGS novelizations? Are they worth it?
>>
No.
You should read orlando furioso instead.
Have fun.
>>
For a laugh? Sure.

As a legitimate novelisation of Metal Gear Solid? Fuck no.
>>
>>332031861
What's the issue with them?
>>
>>332032138
They butcher the story and the characters.

Regardless of what you think of the story in MGS, the story in the novel is worse in every way.

For Example:

“Merry Christmas,” Snake said as he delivered two powerhouse punches, left and then right, into the guards’ faces. The soldiers plopped to the floor. “I forgot to tell you — Christmas is early this year.” (p. 34)
>>
They're pretty good. MGS1 book snake is nothing like the snake from the game, hes more cocky and cracks jokes

still fun to read

and they touch on some stuff, like how snake carries around all these weapons
>>
>>332031340
The DGNs are pretty fun. Especially the extra focus Liquid gets. Look into them as well.

The end to the second one is pretty lulzy too.
>>
File: what_the_fuck_am_I_reading.png (19 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
what_the_fuck_am_I_reading.png
19 KB, 400x400
>>332032445
N-No... You're fucking with me. This can't be real, can it?
>>
>>332034558
Someone show this guy the line where Snake refers to Meryl as "one wacky babe"
>>
>>332032445
that's hilarious. are you telling me i should read these or not?
>>
If you can pick them up cheap, sure

MGS1 novelization has some cringey dialogue but is mostly faithful. Enjoy how they handled the Psycho Mantis thing.

MGS2 is much better, less cringey dialogue, only place to actually get the Manhattan sequence
>>
>>332034730
I'm getting mixed signals, this sounds like a worthwhile read
>>
>>332034730
Wait, what?
>>332034864
Based on what I've seen so far the second one appears to be much better than the first one. Should I get that one and Guns of the Patriots?
>>
>>332034950
The over-the-top action movie lines really make it at some points but actually tried to slog through the novels off of the humor alone will land you in a place of lukewarm disgust most likely. Because in between all the silly stuff, you realize that the rest of the novelization is genuinely a very mediocre attempt to retell the events of the videogame and it's painful to read. The funny stuff can't carry it all the way.
>>
>>332032445
I have all the MGS novels that are in english. I shit you not that in MGS2 Raiden "enters hanging mode."

Hilariously awful. Unfortunately they didn't get the guy to do MGS3 despite the fact he'd previously written Bond novels. I hope it happens one day because I want it so bad.
>>
>>332035826
context for that, please
>>
>>332032445
Must buy
>>
>>332036838
>context for that, please
There's a guard patrolling one of the connectors. To get by him he enters hanging mode and shimmies across the rails. I could probably pull a page from any of the novels (except for the 4th one and I'll get to that in a moment) and find some stupid shit from the game stuffed in there.

The MGS4 one is the only novel not worth a read. It was written by Project Itoh, who had written some boring novels previously but Kojima liked him because he ran a fan website and pestered him at signings and stuff. He died of cancer during PW's development. MGS4 was given to him to novelize and it is the only one that was handled... properly? He didn't try to stuff the whole game in there, hell, he straight up removed the B&B corp. It's written from Otacon's perspective and Sunny grows up and marries that lil' nigger kid from the end.
>>
File: 1424887592049.jpg (22 KB, 453x453) Image search: [Google]
1424887592049.jpg
22 KB, 453x453
>>332032445
jesus
>>
>>332031340
OPs Pic related is so badly written, it should be great fun. You can read a few pages on amazomg
>>
>>332037454
The MGS4 novel is worth reading for the tearjerking stuff about Itoh :c
>>
>>332035037
Guns of the Patriots is entirely different. Different author, written from the POV of Otacon, no B&B Corps., etc.

I've heard it's much better
>>
>>332037454
>>332038026
Itoh was also the only man that Kojima thought highly enough of to hand the series off to when he was sick of it.

>Project Itoh will never helm a prequel starring the Boss and the Cobras

;_;
>>
>>332038026
I have all of his novels now and the only one worth reading is Genocidal Organ, in my opinion, because it's a better MGSV than MGSV was. Sure, it has a flat ending but it handled its themes far better than MGSV did. Before MGSV's release I was convinced that he'd based the story on Genocidal Organ as a send off for his dead friend. Words that kill.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.