[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I heard that blizzard said that players don't want legacy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 213
Thread images: 30
I heard that blizzard said that players don't want legacy servers
Is it true?
>>
>>331999865
Can't tell you about it. Dropped WoW years ago and I'm currently replaying WarCraft III and The Frozen Throne.
>>
>>331999865
people want it, the problem is for blizzard's current fanbase, the vast majority of them don't want it
>>
>>331999865
Blizzard only listen to current players, current players are happy with current content.
>>
>>331999865
A ton of players want them, the problem is the new Blizzard devs not wanting to admit the game was way better in the past than it is now. A small vocal minority of blizzdrones still support them and every decision they make, so they use that as an excuse not to listen to valid criticism.
>>
>>331999865
Yea it's true but most of the time they can't do shit about them.

Nostralius, the most popular legacy server is based in France meaning Blizzard can't take down their server.
>>
>>332000520
>people want it
Haha, no. You think you want that, but you don't.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuOYmqSF6OQ
>>
>>
>>331999865
It would be very stupid business wise to separate your own fan base.

Also it'd be a small minority not worth the resources for blizzard (as if they'd work on it anyhow)
>>
>>332001536
Nostralius is fairly populated, people wanted it.

Just not the people still playing WoW
>>
>>332001861
>>332001536

fuck I'm dumb, I can't read sarcasm
>>
>>332001536
>>332001541
Not that anon, but one day people will be dropping WoW due to new content being...not creative and unoriginal.
>>
>>332001861
if nostralius wasn't free, not even with a suscription, if it had any barrier of entry at all,
I guarantee it wouldn't be as popular.
>>
File: you.jpg (5 KB, 234x230) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
5 KB, 234x230
>>332001846 (You)
>>
>>332002112
wow no fucking shit anon
that's insightful as fuck, you should work for blizzard
>>
>>331999865
Source?
>>
>>331999865
It is true.

Charge 2 bucks a month for that Nostralius WoW server and it would turn into a ghost town. People want free WoW and they are willing to play Vanilla/TBC servers to get it.

This, as someone who loved Vanilla and BC.
>>
>>332002112
If Nostralius was more well known, hosted by Blizzard, and used the actual mechanics from 2005 instead of some hobbled together mess like every private server does, it would be more popular.

There's upsides and downsides.
>>
>>332002563
>I speak for everyone!
Jesus fuck how much of a narcissistic shite can any single man be?
>>
File: 1457816276334.jpg (96 KB, 575x779) Image search: [Google]
1457816276334.jpg
96 KB, 575x779
>>331999865
I'm going to get hate for this senpai.

But think of it like this, I played wow up to wotlk. Skipped two expansions and came back, currently 9/13 mythic hfc.

A lot of people say things like "it was better back then." And go to nostralmus or somewhere there and are suddenly and brutally reminded that is was a fucking slog to level, to run to dungeons to find groups etc.

While that all adds to atmosphere and story, me personally I got freelance work to do, I cant wait 4 hours for upper black wing tank only for them the rage out and leave because of the hunter

The game has changed a lot and I'm not sure where it's heading from now, but I'm just gonna enjoy the rest of the ride.
>>
>>332002563
>Charge 2 bucks a month for that Nostralius WoW server and it would turn into a ghost town.
Because it's an illegitimate private server and there are dozens of other free options out there.

If Blizzard launched their own servers at $10-$15 a month, they'd kill retail WoW.
>>
>>332002641
same here

I'm loving the leveling in WoD. It flows very nicely from zone to zone and there's no way you'll be underleveled for the next one. Also I found it way less boring than other expacs. I swear if I have to go through Outland or Hyjal again I'll kill myself
>>
File: Ahab_Wheathoof.jpg (45 KB, 350x499) Image search: [Google]
Ahab_Wheathoof.jpg
45 KB, 350x499
>smugly telling the playerbase what they want

Have you seen my WoW community? It's lost and I can't find it...
>>
Yes, considering 10,000 (peak) for a FREE version of WoW when it was "good" and "da best" when compared to the 8 mil peaks WoW gets when new expansions hit is pretty pathetic.
>>
>>332002743
>they'd kill retail WoW
lol keep dreaming. There's a reason WoW is like it is right now and it's to cater to the majority of consumers. You'll never be 14 and playing your first MMO again and neither will the original WoW fans. The dwindling fanbase is just due to the fact that people are tired of the entire thing
>>
>>332002641
Not that anon, but at least the game up to WoTLK wasn't so atrocious with the writing.

After WoTLK, I'd rather don't play the game even if it offers good game mechanisms.

Seriously, at least just a little more effort with the writing. That alone will make me get back to play the game.
>>
>>331999865
devs and blizzdrones get insanely butthurt when it's brought up
>>
>>332003004
shitpost
>>332003023
There's a reason WoW is like it is right now and it's to cater to the majority of consumers.
200k people log on weekly. The expansion had 10m subs at the beginning, nearly all of them have since left because WoD was marketed as a return to Vanilla/BC but it ended up being all lies.

Official legacy servers would take what little life retail has left m8. If you don't see that, you're delusional.
>>
File: 717319lineage2_01a.jpg (269 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
717319lineage2_01a.jpg
269 KB, 1024x768
I want this back :(
>>
>>332003124

>wasn't so atrocious

Um, did you not play Warcraft 3 or either of those expansions? The writing has always been hammy, in fact the only merit the story has ever had is how hilarious the "badass" lines were meant to be.

>>332003308

>shitpost

You mean facts that you can't engage?
>>
>>332003427
>nost gets 10k players during peak
>retail wow gets 8 million
>facts
shit post
>>
>>332003427
WarCraft III at least had something more besides hammy writing.

It wasn't cringeworthy and a total asspull.
>>
>>332002112
I don't play on nostr but would gladly pay subscription if blizzard did that
I just can't force myself to trust and invest my time into private servers
>>
>>332003541
doesn't retail only have like 3 high pop servers left
>>
>>331999865
Blizzard doesnt want to spend the money necessary to host and maintain a new set of servers. They'd also need a specific set of GMs for said servers that are familiar with the way the game worked back then so they can do their jobs efficiently.

For them its a case of too many resources to be spent on a return they see as small.
>>
There are people who complain about silver Proving Grounds being too hard, can you imagine the qq and demands for nerfs when they can't kill a Defias Pillager in Westfall?

It would also be an admission of failure on Blizzard's part and undermine the live game, which is already hanging by a thread.
>>
>>332003541

Nost gets 10k when you /who, yes. Also WoD launched to 8 million.

>>332003627

Name one well written portion of that game. In fact, give me a single thought provoking, well written line in the entire game.
>>
>>332003541
You better be meme'ing on that guy or otherwise fucking trolling
>retail has 8 million subscriptions (lolno it's more like 2m now)
>nost has 12k online during peak
>and 130k active accounts in total
>>
Honestly I played the game in vanilla, tbc, wrath, cata, but the expansion I was the most active and successful in was definitely vanilla.

I can remember raiding ubrs with 20 people, and wiping to the first molten giant pack endlessly, all the way up to getting cockblocked by patchwerk. I've done it, it was fun then but it's just not fun now.

I recently installed nostalrius and I made a character on it. I got to level 8 before uninstalling because I was so sick of not having the quality of life changes I'd gotten used to in the expansions, and the idea of slogging through to 60 just so I can grind out an FR set to hopefully get into a raiding guild to hopefully get a raiding spot to spend 6 hours a raid in MC or BWL to get the dkp I need to maybe be able to spend it when the gear drops just so I can faceroll people in BGs doesn't appeal to me at all anymore. I dont have the time or the inclination.

Then again WoW and MMOs in general don't really appeal to me anymore, but I'd postulate that most of the cucks that want vanilla servers or other expansion servers would not stick around when they figured out how their fond memories don't live up to the reality, and even if they did people would eventually run out of content.
>>
File: consider the following.jpg (48 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
consider the following.jpg
48 KB, 600x600
What more likely is that they saw how the 2007scape shit played out.
At the end of the day, no, player don't really want legacy servers. They only really want it for the temporary nostalgia factor that wears off quickly and leaves you empty once you realize that the social aspect of the game (you know, what you remember so fondly?) is not and will never be the same.
>>
>>332003698

It has 3 high pop servers in Oceania alone, so what do you think?
>>
>>332003842

Read comment chains before you post. The point is the most popular FREE vanilla server has 1/666th of expansion peaks.
>>
12000 players X $60 retail copy of game=720000
12000 players X $15 sub fee every month=180000

A mirrion dorrah is fairly hard to ignore senpai
>>
Legacy servers work just fine for other MMO's. I suspect Blizzard is afraid it'd be too popular, showing how flawed the current game is.
>>
File: xd.png (17 KB, 498x401) Image search: [Google]
xd.png
17 KB, 498x401
>retail gets 200k unique characters logging in per week
>characters,not accounts
>per week, not at once

>/who on nost yields 15k+ results concurrently during primetime
>on one faction
>on one realm
>on one private server brand

but really though, the level of sheer dronery to tout up a number like 8 million to defend WoD and shit on vanilla is pretty fuckin retarded
>>
>>332003918
People have been playing on Nostalrius for a year already, and on previous vanilla projects for many years. I am one of those people and I never played retail vanilla so there's no nostalgia for me in this. Yes, the social aspect is worse than it could've been back then because the community is shitty, but it's still better than WoD aka no social aspect at all. And the rest of the game is just more fun.
>>
>>332003698

On EU there's probably 15-20 decently populated servers across all of the language groups, and by decently populated I mean not a complete graveyard.
>>
>>332003763

>Warsong Orc: No! That goes against everything the warchief teaches us! We can't let rage overcome us again!

>Grom Hellscream: No, warrior. We must embrace it as never before! We must become the vessels of destruction that we were meant to be!
>>
>>332004252
>12000
>$60 retail copy
way off lad
>>
>>331999865
I'd pay 15 a month for ulduar patch wotlk.
I loved twink bgs
>>
>>331999865
Yes it's true. Vanilla/BC were the tits, but why the fuck would I want to go back? I already cleaned all the raids, know all the strats, all the BiS items. Everyone would roll on Black Temple in their leveling gear, the content would be over in 2 weeks.
>>
>>332004402

But that's not well written at all, in fact it reads like a highschool play.

>No! We aren't allowed to do that! Doing that would be against the rules!
>Break the rules! Breaking the rules is good! We must break the rules even if we aren't meant to!
>>
>>332004252

That's not representative of the people that'd actually put money down to play Vanilla, though. Nost is free which means you can play it for a bit, get your confirmation that Vanilla did suck and then drop it, like the 90 thousand other people that aren't still playing religiously.
>>
>>332004242
That's not counting players fucking works are you fucking joking. Blizzard has 2-3 million subs. Not 2 million people online at the same time you retard.
Nost has 130k active accounts, even if we assume that every player has 2 accounts he regularly uses (most people have only 1 and very few have several, actually) it's still like 70k players. On a single server. Hosted by fucking amateur devs.

>>332004252
Another moron who doesn't understand how it works
>>
>>332004336
that's pretty sad considering many people still playing have a 10-12 alts for a max level of every class that they do garrisons on every day
>>
>>332004447

Did you want me to add the price of all expansions? So that price would be around $300?
>>
>>332004743

>another blizzdrone that wouldn't recognize reality if it bit him
>>
>>332004743

Your reading comprehension is awful. Expansions launch with 8 million buyers and player peaks, I'm not saying it's 8 million players now.

>active accounts

Accounts* Yet the game only ever peaks at 12k, with people AFK'ing in game. Sorry that your delusions of grandeur are being shit on but the reality is that a legacy server would NEVER be worth the hassle, Nost only works because, for FREE, I can go "oh wait yeah actually Vanilla was fucking awful" and then just uninstall it without having to put money toward it.
>>
>>332004842
They wouldn't charge $60 for a retail copy of a 12 year old game. And it'd be way more than 12k people.
>>
>>332004520
You know all the BT strats.

The average player nowadays wouldn't even fucking know how to do Pit of Saron. I very much doubt any of them know BC raid mechanics if they don't know Wrath 5mans
>>
File: images (9).jpg (6 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
images (9).jpg
6 KB, 275x183
>>332005000
>Vanilla was fucking awful
>>
>>332005014

>12k people still play a free version
>but way more would buy it lul

Nah.

>>332005101

TBC raids are literally WoD LFR tier in complexity, though.

>>332005156

There's a reason why only 1/666th of the amount of people play Vanilla, bro. Keep telling yourself that people just don't get it while you run through your raids that amount to "don't stand in goo" and "stack ele resist" and totally relive your childhood by talking to the Chinese inhabitants of your server.
>>
>>332005289
>There's a reason why only 1/666th of the amount of people play Vanilla, bro.

please refer to: >>332004336

happy shitposting
>>
>>332004589

I was referring more to the diction. But if you put it like that then of course it'll sound childish.

>Don't go outside, it's dangerous!

>We are masters, not cowering servants. We must escape these limitations, for only through embracing danger and adversity can we gain true power.
>>
>>331999865
lock your XP at 60 and clear MC with 40 other retards problem soved
>>
>>332005289
Vanilla WoW would be amazing if they modded it so that the encounters and different specs were actually useful or any good at all.

Boy it sure is good having to stack all these elemental resistances, and boy it sure is great to have a bunch of talent trees that are fucking useless!
>>
>>332005289
The most popular Runescape 2 private server got around 200 people active on it. When Jagex released OSRS with a subscription fee, its popularity instantly overtook the main game (~40k players during primetime).

People become way more interested when the company that owns the IP releases the legacy server instead of some students in France.
>>
File: jxtOQlu.jpg (517 KB, 900x6271) Image search: [Google]
jxtOQlu.jpg
517 KB, 900x6271
>>332005000
You missed the point completely. Comparing the total number of subscribed accounts to a number of accounts simultaneously online at the same time is fucking stupid. Not everyone plays every day, at the same time. Blizzard has 8 million cucks who bought their shitty game. Of them only about 2 million are playing now. A shitty french server has 730k accounts registered, of them 130k active. (pic related) Even if we compensate for people creating unique accounts that's still a fucking lot for an amateur project with no AAA-company backing it up. There is demand for vanilla.
>>
>>332005530
you'd probably only need 10, low level scaling and heirlooms are completely fucked up
>>
>>332005289
>this is the kind of guy who would gladly pay 15 burger bucks a month to afk in garrison with another 1.5 years on content drought
loving every laugh
>>
>>332005836

>paying any money

?
>>
>>332004336

Not the guy you're arguing with but you do realize that's the amount of people that have the Census add-on installed, right? Why did you cut that part of the image out?
>>
>>332006054
That's not how census works. People used that addon on Nostalrius too, it calculates all people online.
>>
>>332006153

It is how it works, though. It literally only collects data from people using it.
>>
>>332005772
Fucking take them off then or are you gonna claim bliz force you to put looms on?
>>
>>332006054
That's total player activity data collected by individual players with the addon. You'd only need 1 player per faction per realm to get totally accurate numbers. Not saying that chart is perfect, but it's most likely not far off. It's as good as we'll get because Blizzard is literally too embarrassed to share sub numbers publicly anymore, even when they're hella inflated artificially.
>>
>>332006221
(You)
>>
Everyone boasts about Nostalrious's success but all I see when I play are Chinese.
>>
>>332006221
Yes, and it fucking collects that data using /who commands scanning players by level, then race, then class, then first letter of name. It literally scans every single player online.
>http://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3641&start=230#p258450
Or would you say that 7k people simultaneously online have that addon on nost?
>>
>>332006381

No, it's the data collected via the Census mod for the character you have the addon installed for. It gives you progress snapshots and history, it's not the total amount of people. With the amount of people that log in daily with 10 alts just to collect enough gold to play for free, 200k wouldn't be anywhere close.

>>332006519

Census is rolled into the system you dingus. It's not at all how it works for retail.
>>
>>332001536
wow 12k chinamens and a handful of people, you sure showed them
>>
File: WoWScrnShot_082715_220221.jpg (293 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
WoWScrnShot_082715_220221.jpg
293 KB, 1366x768
>>332006519
>then first letter of name.
Actually on retail it's uses first 3 letters
This is from most popular eu server after 6.2 was released during primetime
Just imagine how bad it must be now
>>
>>331999865
It'd just be shit.

People dont realize that what made WoW great back in the day wasnt that the game was better, it was because the people who played it weren't gigantic faggots.

It became popular and just like anything else, was ruined by the droves of retards pouring. Under-aged tryhards, "Grill Gamurs", Bronies, faggots, and the list goes on.

It's a people problem, not a design problem.
>>
>>332006618
Btfo >>332006794
>>
>>332006794
>rogues 2nd least popular class
>hunters are #1
Shiet
At least racial choices are pretty much same in vanilla.
>>
>Go back to vanilla
As cool as that sounds, lets be real for a second though.

All of our "hybrid classes" we have now, could only do one thing during Vanilla

Ret/Prot Pally?
Boomkin/Feral Druid?
DPS Warrior?
Shadow Priest?

Nope, not if you want to raid. Pallies are healers/buff bitches(HOLY FUCK I LOVE 5 MINUTE BUFFS THAT YOU HAVE TO APPLY TO EACH CLASS), Druids are trees, Shamans are Resto, Priests healed, and the only ones that could survive boss fights as a tank (gotta mitigate that crushing damage bearfags) were Warriors(inb4 hurr but u needed a caster tank for Twin Emps)

>40mans

I don't know how we did it, I don't know how we rangled 40 retards when trying to get 25 bumblefucks on task for raiding now makes me want to blow my fucking brains out.
>>
>>332005000
After playing on Nost, I can say that both vanilla and retail are fucking awful.

But Vanilla was designed in a way that forced players to work together to get through the tedium. Retail still has daily grinding, but it was made "convenient". It is more of a single player game with how the grinding is designed now. You can do it on your own time.

So I think Vanilla wins. I think an iteration that promotes working together in a massively multiplayer game is technically better.
>>
>>332007153
really paladin was the only class with total shit tier off specs, the rest of those could get a raid spot
>>
>>332007153
>DPS Warrior
>not if you want to raid
Get a load of this retard
http://realmplayers.com/RaidStats/Ranking.aspx?Bosses=0B0C0D0E0F0G0H0I&realm=NRB
>>
>>332007153
>Ret/Prot Pally?
ret were good in the latter raids, specially in naxx
Prot could tank fine everything that wasn't raid, and in vanilla(unlike wotlk) you could have fun without raids
>Boomkin
AQ and Naxx raids just for the buff
>DPS Warrior
Best dps in the vanilla, most of guild have more of them than tank warriors, not even in late raids
>Shadow Priest
Yep, they sucked
>Nope, not if you want to raid. Pallies are healers/buff bitches(HOLY FUCK I LOVE 5 MINUTE BUFFS THAT YOU HAVE TO APPLY TO EACH CLASS)
15 since middle vanilla and you could do it for group/class
>Druids are trees
They couldn't be trees in vanilla
>the only ones that could survive boss fights as a tank (gotta mitigate that crushing damage bearfags) were Warriors(inb4 hurr but u needed a caster tank for Twin Emps)
False, fucking so false it's not funny
Warriors were best tanks not because they could survive anything, but because they were the only tanks who could generate aggro
>>
>>332005530
Different class mechanics that have been introduced over the years, different stat weights and distribution and higher ilvl gear being accessible at a lower level completely trivializes every single vanilla raid instance.
>>
>>332006794

>Kazzak EU is now a medium pop server

This game truly is on life support.
>>
>>332007765
Except Naxx. Or Onyxia. Cause you can't even do them anymore.
>>
File: 1440886181652.jpg (13 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1440886181652.jpg
13 KB, 640x640
>>332007153
>"i have absolutely no idea what im talking about"
>>
>>332002563
If Nostalrius was hosted by Blizzard and everything worked properly I'd pay the shit out of $2/month for that.
>>
>>332007727
shadow priests were like boomkin and feral, 1 was useful just for shadow weaving
>>
>>332007774
>Moonguard is now Med Pop

WoW is dead.
>>332007153
This is either some next level shitposting, or you're retarded.

Either way have a (you)
>>
>>332002641
Vanilla was good because while it was a grind to level and do dungeons, leveling and dungeons weren't why you played. You played because YOU HAD FRIENDS ON THE SERVERS TO PLAY WITH. The community was what made it all bearable. It was shit, but you were in it together.
>>
>>331999865
I only started with BC so I don't know shit about vanilla, but anyone who says older WoW is better WoW is delusional. The game was bad enough a grind during BC and balance was a fucking mess. I played a Beast Mastery Hunter at their peak and it was fucking stupid how much I could do while effectively AFK.

Wrath and Cataclysm both improved the game significantly, making the grind better and introducing better progression. I didn't play after Cataclysm but all the features I've heard of introduced since sound good, and the game's leveling experience is fucking awful so these level 80 boosts or whatever are a great addition.
>>
>>332008071
I know we always forced them do be a mana battery in bc, but not sure they could do it in vanilla
>>
>>332007765
Just admit your all still salty that paladins are useful for more than blessing and flash of light spam.

Do you fucks really want the tedium of say for instance druids can't cast for 10 secs after leaving forms or the absurd resist gear that gimps stats back?
>>
>>332007727
No, you're retarded. Warriors are the only tank in vanilla that could get enough defense to be uncritable and uncrushable. Bear tanks were less viable than prot paladins because there was no leather tank gear.
>>
>>332006924
I can assure you, people that played wow back in the day were GIGANTIC faggots.

Vanilla horde painted Alliance as the faction for little kids and I think Allianced painted Horde as the edgy zombie faggot faction.
>>
>>332007153
You think it's any different now? You think it matters what class you play? If Arcane Mage does 1000DPS and Boomkin deals 999DPS, buffs aside there's no reason to give a Boomkin a general DPS spot over an Arcane Mage. This isn't a question of Boomkin v Feral.
>>
>>332008442
The irony is that Horde players tended to be annoying teenagers and Alliance players were the neckbeards with all the DeviantArt backstories.
>>
>>332008267
Are you illiterate?
>>
>>332003373
> trolled by friend into playing it for a year at least
> almost turned alcoholic due to enchanting
The controls ware so fucking awful, jesus christ
>>
>>332008036
blizzard should do it because it would be a fun feature to make their players happy and stay subbed, not to jew $2/month out of them

>>332008390
>Bear tanks were less viable than prot paladins because there was no leather tank gear.
you are retarded
>>
>>332008442
Faggots on bothsides m8 just find a group you click with and roll with them it is not your place to try to change that and you would be insane to try even in its current form.
>>
File: 1779.jpg (20 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
1779.jpg
20 KB, 306x306
>>331999865
Of course Blizzard doesn't want legacy servers. They have to pretend WoW is better now, and allowing legacy servers would be a tacit acknowledgment that retail is trash, which they would never do.
>>
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/20742845147
>>
>>332007153
> its a kid who has no idea what hes talking about posts episode
>>
>>332008685
Answer me faggot do you want gimped classes and shit gear stats(spi on rogue gear) back?
>>
File: WoWScrnShot_122906_021243.jpg (572 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
WoWScrnShot_122906_021243.jpg
572 KB, 1280x800
>>332003124
Just finished the Legend of Stalvan quest on Nost, fuck what happend to Blizzard?
>>
>>332009018
I wonder what retard thinks turning the game into a 4 button League clone will save their game.
>>
>>332009192
Tell that paladin he is bad for specing ret tell him to spec holy and to fucking stay out of combat to rez.
>>
>>332009279
This is what Blizzard is doing in legion, they're just recording it all down. I think.
>>
>>332009141
My post wasn't about vanilla vs retail you retarded fuck.
Just "locking your xp at level 60 and only using level 60 gear" on retail isn't the same as playing vanilla, and raiding as such won't give the same experience it gave in vanilla.
Note that there's nothing that implies the quality of the experience either way.
>>
>>332009421
(citation needed)
>>
>>332009320
>it's a ret paladins are useless episode
Every time.
>>
>>331999865
>I heard that blizzard said that players don't want legacy servers
>Is it true?
yes it is.
they think they want them, but once people have to go through hilariously long atunement cycles, have to farm for weeks at a time for a certain thing, experience some of the most imbalanced pvp (excluding wotlk), suddenly they won't be so interested anymore.
it's all nostalgia goggles, and once those wear off, people will stop playing. and what will blizzard do about it?
they won't be able to shut down the servers because people want to keep all their farmed and raided shit regardless of whether they're actually playing or not. now your community is divided and you're paying server bills for nothing.
it'll never happen, and it's better that way. go play a private server instead, they don't have to care when their server eventually dies out.
>>
>>332009018
Wait they really removed water walking and underwater breathing?

Are the people left working on this game completely stupid?
>>
>>332009532
so you want the experance of a 40 man raid where 20 of them are afk doing nothing and standing in fire where no one is using any rotation at all for the "epicnes" back? there was nothing epic about vanilla just bad players fucking up and saying "oh wow i am sure enjoying wiping on this boss so epic guys"

It was fucking tedium at its finest and i think you are all insane to want any of that shit back.
>>
File: 1439832699620sss.jpg (3 KB, 109x125) Image search: [Google]
1439832699620sss.jpg
3 KB, 109x125
>>332009865
>this bait
>>
>>332009865
It's not nostalgia goggles at all, the game was legitimately better back then. You can split hairs about certain things, such as imbalanced pvp, but pvp will never be balanced in an MMO anyway, unless you blur the distinction between classes to the point that it doesn't matter what fucking class you play(as they are now doing with all the pruning).
>>
File: WoWScrnShot_111010_152639.jpg (318 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
WoWScrnShot_111010_152639.jpg
318 KB, 1440x900
>>332007153
>No DPS warriors in raids during classic
Get the fuck out.
>>
>>332009951
So you are illiterate.
Gotcha.
>>
>>332010019
notice how you faggots say its bait for him telling the truth sure sounds a lot lot tumblr than 4chan at the moment.
>>
>>332010045
>It's not nostalgia goggles at all, the game was legitimately better back then.
i agree, i wasn't arguing otherwise, but it was for a completely different playerbase.
the people that played back then grew up, they don't necessarily have the time to do things like get ony scale cloak on all their characters to get their foot into raiding, or even level more than a few characters.
it's not in the best interest of ANY company to pander to a minority of their audience, and the generational shift won't allow it anyway.

i miss vanilla WoW too sometimes, but i don't miss two hours of AQ40 trash, etc.
>>
>>332009865
It is a lose-lose situation.
>No one wants vanilla because it takes a lot of grinding and it is annoying to get groups together.
>No one wants the current build because it is quick and simple to get everything you need, but there is only 1 new raid every half a century.
Seems like Blizzard needs to come up with a decent middle ground.
>>
>>332010192
>i can't argue my point so i will just call names instead.
>>
File: 1439832699620ss.jpg (3 KB, 109x125) Image search: [Google]
1439832699620ss.jpg
3 KB, 109x125
>>332010205
>>
Why would people want to play the same content over and over again? Or are you people who say you want classic servers in some sort of delusional state where you think it would make sense to have vanilla but also be developing extra vanilla only instances?
>>
>>332010302
I'm not arguing about vanilla being better than retail, so yes, you are quite literally illiterate.
>>
WoW was "better" back then because it was new, the community was better (not being a hipster but the everquest vet's & curious WC3 fans made a better community then a bunch of normies who jumped the bandwagon because it got popular) & datamining wasn't as popular so content wasn't mass spoiled before release

Shitty itemization, No AOE loot, very minimal/simple mechanics on bosses, some bosses dropped 2 epics for 40 fucking people, some specs were completely useless, buggy as shit & took weeks to fix sometimes, almost all quests were "go here & kill this" etc, Vanilla WoW had issues that would turn people off if they introduced legacy servers, AOE loot being the biggest one i think

It did do some things better though, in vanilla you were a cog in the machine, now you are The Hero (to make loser neckbeards feel better) No LFD/LFR made the World more alive, Dungeons were actually dungeons & not loot hallways, no mounts until 40 gave the illusion that the world was bigger

TBC introduced a lot of the problems that hurt WoW imo, but Wotlk gets the blame for some reason
>>
>>332010407
Don't care answer me faggot
>>
>>332010240
then do aq20/zg
>>
File: 1457353706009.jpg (21 KB, 645x456) Image search: [Google]
1457353706009.jpg
21 KB, 645x456
>>332010371
>"i'll pretend i don't know what progression servers are"
>>
>>332002596
This. I would pay 10$ a month for a legacy server that isn't filled with a million fucking bugs. Nostalrius is fucking ridiculous. Basically 90% of engineering is completely unusable.
>>
>>332010445
>TBC introduced a lot of the problems that hurt WoW imo
Name one.
>>
>>331999865
The problem with legacy servers is that there's a free alternative in private servers. Blizzard already fucked themselves over by letting that happen, and now they have very little profit incentive to do it.
>>
>>332010240
>i miss vanilla WoW too sometimes, but i don't miss two hours of AQ40 trash, etc.

Tbqh, I'm more pissed that they have been consistently turning the game more shit over the years, than I am "missing" the old expansions.

The game has been taking the wrong direction ever since Cataclysm imo.
>>
>>332010562
Flying mounts.
>>
>>332010562
flying mounts
>>
>>332010371
Actually, since blizzard currently only has part of the Z-team working on wow, a different expansion realms could add extra content to validate keeping a subscription up for people.

After you finished the daily grind in the current content, you could load up your character on the vanilla or the burning crusade realm and do stuff there.
>>
>>332010275
>It is a lose-lose situation.
for us maybe, but not for the people who are still enjoying the game right? the problem for blizzard now is making them stay.
our options now are private servers, and as long as those are stable and fairly free of bugs, you're basically getting what you asked for without putting an obligation onto blizzard to keep the servers running and manage a playerbase split into god knows how many parts, depending on what expansions you want.

>>332010321
that's not me, by the way.
>>
Legacy servers would be the only right thing Blizzard would do after the Activision buyout.
But instead of preserving their legacy of what they once were, we instead get their constant bastardizations of beloved franchises.

At least Capcom had the decency to kill franchises they didn't love anymore.
>>
>>332010620
>Since Cataclysm
>Not WOTLK

Burning Crusade introduced flying mounts and the neutral city which were shit ideas, but otherwise was great.

WOTLK on the other hand was the beginning of merging all the servers into one giant clusterfuck destroying the communities while also making lazy as fuck instances. I can't remember a single dungeon in that shit expansion.

Some of the raids were nice too. Too bad they were all nerfed to baby tier two weeks after release.
>>
Yo I've been playing on Nostralius a lot lately. How do I level faster? I'm playing a priest and it's taking forever. Never played vanilla
>>
>>332001386
Why they cant?
I'm intetested on that
>>
>>332010862
wand
>>
>>332010620
>The game has been taking the wrong direction ever since Cataclysm imo.

Cataclysm started out very promising but the idiots that came with WotLK stopped it dead in it's tracks. WotLK is what killed WoW.
>>
>>332010862
You stop, Nost has been annexed by China, it's not worth playing on anymore.

Here's hoping core craft will be good, or the dream is dead for good.
>>
>>331999865

>>
>>332010862
find a friend to quest with or just settle with wand spec
>>
>>332010562
D R A E N A I
R
A
E
N
A
I
>>
>>332010407
You did say "Different class mechanics that have been introduced over the years" implying your distaste for anything that tbc+ brought to the game
that is somehow "ruins" MC. I simply showed you class mechanics that hinder the game in vanilla.

But alas you nostalgia faggots with you big rose glasses on will not get any simpathy from bliz.
>>
File: 1434123383332.jpg (75 KB, 610x611) Image search: [Google]
1434123383332.jpg
75 KB, 610x611
>Have this quiet introverted kid as a neighbor
>He likes games but has no friends
>Invite him to play WoW with me (before BC)
>He doesn't really know how to talk with people so I walk him through the game and show him how everything works introducing him to my virtual circle of friends.

>Have a lot of tests coming up so i stop playing for a couple of weeks
>I finally return to the game and see he's still playing the game
>Friends say he has been playing it for almost 14 hours a day
>He joined a guild and even found a girlfriend in the game
>I warn him about dudes trying to scam you for items etc
>"You're just jealous, i need this"
>Fine,jpg

>Turns out the girl was actually a girl and she even lives near our place
>She decided that she would come over
>My friend gets nervous and wants me to be with him when she arrives
>Girl arrives. She is a straight 8/10. Blonde,blue eyes not fat but still a nice C-cup
>Confused and suspicious I walk up to her to make sure it's actually her and not some friend that drove her or something
>She thinks i'm actually my friend and huggs me
>What are you doing.jpg
>Explain the situation to her and point to my friend
>See genuine disappointment in her eyes
>Gave my friend a wink and thumbs up behind the girls back before i leave

>A month or so pass and the girl visits my friend every weekend
>Decided to visit him
>"How is she in bed man?"
>"I actually didn't have sex with her"
>Friend has this really weird look in his eyes like he is doubting to say something or not
>"What's the problem mate? It's not a transsexual right?"
>"Anon I need to ask you a favor"
>He explained to me that she only wanted to be his girlfriend and have sex with him if I would be included into the sex
>I fucking reject and stand up to go back home
>Friend somewhat looks happier but he begs me to please help him
>"This girl isn't right in the head mate, it might be for the best to just give up on her"

Fucking 4chan text limits (1/2)
>>
>>332010928
>Blizzard lives America
>Most servers are in Russia/France/other European countries.
DMCA exists solely in the US
>>
>>332011157
not hard in vanilla m8. the grind/difficulty makes everyone look to buddy up.
>>
>>332010490
>I never finished vanilla progression so I want a chance to finally do it

Okay I understand that but for the rest of us it's just the same damn content over and over again. In fact I would say the majority of people who would be interested in vanilla are people who've already done the content.
>>
>>332011061
>implying your distaste for anything that tbc+ brought to the game
How you came to that conclusion is beyond me.
And "different experience" =/= "worse"
>>
>>332011035
priests are not hard to level, 1-40 disc 40-60 shadow
>>
>>332001536

I hate these arrogant geek developers they behave like snobby women
>>
>>332011302
I meant to say that Blizzard is based in US not lived in America, fuck I am retarded
>>
>>332011321
On nost, I can always find people to do elite quests with in a few minutes. It is pretty nice.
>>
File: 1387569982626.gif (3 MB, 290x189) Image search: [Google]
1387569982626.gif
3 MB, 290x189
>>332011267
>Cuckedanon Level 60 Paladin
>>
The big appeal of legacy servers is being able to play content that has been wiped out due to expansions. Its the same thing behind twinking battlegrounds back before they added XP upon conclusion. It's something people want, and it's relatively low maintenance. Not like anyone is going to bitch that the legacy server isn't getting updated. Its a fun way to kill time at a level cap below what you otherwise would play at.
>>
>>332011402
priests are notoriously the worst class to level as
>>
>>332011441
Dmca on servers cant be done on not American territory?
I didnt knew that, the law way is a strange one
>>
File: cry.gif (992 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
cry.gif
992 KB, 500x376
>>332011590
I just wanted to be a healer and not some brainless dps :(
>>
>>332011590
Not even, they can shield and wand through all of vanilla, Warrior was much worse.
>>
>>332011590
Priests are terrible to level as if you're retarded, they're a fucking breeze to level if you spec right and upgrade your wand. Fantastic survivability and 0 downtime.
>>
>>332011590
not even close, warriors are by far the worst, paladins don't die but they're slow as fuck. priests don't kill shit as fast as a mage but they're way more mana efficient, with spirit tap and wand you never have to drink after pulls
>>
>>332011267
im curious. go on.
>>
>>332011640
Pretty much, and Blizzard doesn't generally DMCA servers anyways unless they start releasing content that isn't available to the masses yet.

>used to play on a BC server
>they put up an extra server that was basically one of the beta builds from Cata
>gone within two days

Fucking sucked.
>>
>>332011590
warrior and shaman are far worse
>>
>>332011681
>>332011854
Except it takes way longer than anything else, Warriors included. That's why they're the worst class to level.
>>
>>332011590
i remember in vanilla, as a warrior, i had a bag full of food when i went to burning steppes, it was awful.
>>
File: 1458430312959.jpg (30 KB, 782x577) Image search: [Google]
1458430312959.jpg
30 KB, 782x577
>>332011879
>tfw leveling a warlock

Life is good.
>>
>>332011967
You also don't have to spend 30 seconds after each mob eating/drinking, which is why downtime is just as important as time-to-kill.
>>
File: 0_5412814.jpg (22 KB, 539x385) Image search: [Google]
0_5412814.jpg
22 KB, 539x385
>>332011267
(2/2)

>I move town and don't see him anymore IRL
>Still are best bros in WoW.
>Burning Crusade comes out We're having a blast.

>Like a month after BC release he is offline constantly
>Ask around online to find out what happened to him.
>Go back to the girl to ask if she knows anything.

Turns out he still dated her and simply told me he stopped dating her so I wouldn't worry about him.

Turns out the girl had an affair with his father behind the guy's back. He found out when she became pregnant without him having sex with her.

Visit his mother (the parents divorced after this). She tells me how he attempted suicide with a hunting rifle. He got hospitalized and is permanently disabled. Damaged the nerve tissue in his spine. Can only move 1 hand anymore.

>"Gaming is over for me i guess"
>"I'll play the game for you my friend"

Spend the entire weekend playing wow on his account for the last time next to him.

WoW will forever have a special place in my heart.

Also FUCK bitches.
>>
>>332011967
nope, with the lack of downtime they're faster than everything outside of hunter, lock and rogue.
>>
>>332012126
hunters and locks are by far the best, good look competing with them for quests on that chink infested meme server
>>
>>332012305
>Turns out the girl had an affair with his father behind the guy's back
Holy shit.
>>
>>332012317
>they're faster than everything outside of hunter, lock and rogue
m8
>>
>>332001536
If they did Vanilla with and tweaked it with some of the changes added in later expansions, it would be easy money for Blizzard, I don't understand why the haven't done it yet.
>>
File: 1453251254061.png (281 KB, 535x466) Image search: [Google]
1453251254061.png
281 KB, 535x466
>played from vanilla launch to wotlk
>came back briefly in MoP, but hated pandas and insta-queues
"Vanilla? Vanilla is only nostalgia!kek"
>try Nostalrius
>level all the way to 55 over 6 months (did a shitload of PVPing and everything that's opposite to grinding and levelling)
>the magic is back and this game IS awesome!
>become somewhat known, people cheer for me when I enter BGs and beg me to tank dongeons whenever I log on
>have almost all the money for epic mount when I ding 60
>one night while drunk, realize all I do is play WoW and my life sucks; when I get to 60 and start raiding, it will only get worse.
>delete character and uninstall game
=(
>>
File: 1456934782936.jpg (57 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1456934782936.jpg
57 KB, 640x480
>>332011267
>>332012305
bitches and whores
>>
>>332012454
yes
>>
>>332012510
>tfw can't play vanilla all day erry day and still have a social life and go to work
Fuck this world
>>
File: 1453860101619.png (40 KB, 152x254) Image search: [Google]
1453860101619.png
40 KB, 152x254
>>332012305
>she had an affair with her father
>>
File: 1385405938527.jpg (71 KB, 600x597) Image search: [Google]
1385405938527.jpg
71 KB, 600x597
>>332012510
>>
>>332012305
this is a made-up story... r-right? :3
>>
>>332011967
I got a 60 priest on nost, after lvl40 as shadow I killed mobs faster than mages and didn't have to drink at all. (I used shadoweave gear) Priest leveling is fucking easy mode
>>
>>332012718
anons friend's father, not her own father
learn2reading comprehension
>>
Vanilla needs a devoted group of developers to create more content for it.

Vanilla was fun because it was NEW and HARD and when you SLOGGED to get things they actually meant something because no one else HAD THEM

Not this kind of bullshit where you can have the same skin as some of the hardest to get loot in the game but with shittier stats

None of this "You can raid the big bad lore boss if you want, in a 5man on easy mode"

>>332011681
warriors were fuckin awful in vanilla from 49 onwards
>>
>>332012949
the 40 levels before that are the slowest thing is what im saying
>>
>>332013683
nope, they're still faster then druid, shaman, paladin and warrior
>>
>>331999865
>I heard that
You think you heard, but you actually didn't.
>>
>>332013869
objectively untrue
>>
>>332013683
no you just pay 10s, get an enchanting wand and rape everything
>>
>>332013915
it's true, i don't know what you were doing when leveling priest
>>
>>332009320
Go back to /wowg/ and stay there.
>>
File: 1454022931601.jpg (30 KB, 475x343) Image search: [Google]
1454022931601.jpg
30 KB, 475x343
>>332012450
>Night elf Hunter #5009 has camped you for 2 hours in stv for devilsaur skins
>>
File: images (7).jpg (4 KB, 201x251) Image search: [Google]
images (7).jpg
4 KB, 201x251
>i play a paladin/druid
>>
>>332012510

You made the right call. I wasted years 18-22ish on that fucking game.
>>
>>332014572
>fooling new players into attacking your pet in low level zones
Hunters are the most fun class.
>>
>>332012505
The problem is that since we still don't have 100% perfect (don't say otherwise, played nearly every vanilla server and each one had bugs) emulated servers, no one wants customized content.

However once we do have a base to work with, then I believe that custom servers would become more populated. Especially if they introduced a lot of neat features like guid banks, alt specs, some tweaks, add in some custom content that doesn't break balance, and all that jazz.
>>
>>332001386
i was wondering why private servers are never taken down
why aren't there any canadian or mexican private servers, then? it would be better in terms of timezones and lag
>>
>>332003708
/thread
>>
>>332002743
If Blizz started up an official BC or LK server with the general improvements they've made since (not the watering down, just the grafix and baked-in addons and such) and kept the class depth and diversity, I'd be all fucking over it for $15/mo. They could run seasons on this shit, unlocking raid tiers at set (short) intervals and racing people to the end every year.
Thread replies: 213
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.