[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Generuc RPG Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: logo.jpg (72 KB, 350x155) Image search: [Google]
logo.jpg
72 KB, 350x155
Do you prefer self-insert RPG's or RPG's that give you a character to play as?

What is your favorite subgenre of RPG?

What is your favorite RPG game?

Discuss and call eachother faggots
>>
>>331833059

I like self-insert because they tend to be more open ended so I can waste time doing nothing.
>>
I hate RPG's with set characters because I can't stand the idea of playing as someone who might have a bigger dick than me.
>>
>>331833114
I feel you.
For creativity, I love playing Skyrim with the Alternate Start mod. But Dragon Age Origins does great for a self-instert narrative.
>>
>>331833059
>Do you prefer self-insert RPG's or RPG's that give you a character to play as?
Character to play as.

>What is your favorite subgenre of RPG?
SRPG, probably, though I'm a fan of most RPG's.

>What is your favorite RPG game?
Shit, I'm not sure. Either Mother 3 or Xenoblade. Devil Survivor Overclocked for favorite SRPG.
>>
>>331833356
I wish I couldve gotten unto XB. I cant get over the MMO sidequests and the wierd as combat system where almost every enemy I faught needed to be toppled.
>>
Someone recommend me a good RPG on the PC, preferably tactical or something with swords and shields.
>>
>>331833875
Dragon Age: Origins is one
Mount and Blade: Warband if you like building armies and using a little strategy
Skyrim with mods
Oblivion for that comfy feeling
Kingdom Come: Deliverance is coking out eventually
>>
>>331833059
Self-Insert with my own Harem of pure girly girls groomed for marriage.

Wish one day I could play a western RPG where not every woman is a crazy bisexual tattoed turbo slut who has every STD known in the kingdom/planet/galaxy.
>>
I've been addicted to older jrpgs like ff1 and dragon quest 3. I like the idea of making a party of people I know irl and then adventuring with them. Almost like the same joy of playing Oregon trail and seeing who dies of dysentery first.
>>
>>331833059
My favourite is Persona _1_. Pls no bully
>>
File: 1343621512282.jpg (71 KB, 969x894) Image search: [Google]
1343621512282.jpg
71 KB, 969x894
I like self-inserts.
Let me name my character, make my own choices, and if possible, customize my appearance.

It's not as fun when you have some unlikable dumbfuck be the main character and make all of the choices for the player. Especially if the character makes a shitload of questionable to just plain fucking retarded decisions.

First Person Dungeon Crawlers

Probably Strange Journey.
>>
>>331834305
I wish more JRPGs did this formula lately. People hated DQ9 because you made your own party like that, but that's honestly what I loved about it.

It's also why I love the Etrian Odyssey games.
>>
>>331833059
Self-insert, because "character to play as" I assume means I get to choose a character and not create and customize my own. I'm fairly square in that I usually make a very determined guy, it but feels more personal to me as I go on the journey instead. But I don't roleplay as myself.
>>
If the game is supposed to have a serious story, then I prefer an actual character to play as. A story that tries to be serious yet has a self-insert character tends to range from mediocre to dogshit since everything is watered down to accommodate the player.

Action RPG. I dont really care for turn-based since most RPGS can do better for themselves without it, saves a shitload of time.

Powder the roguelike
>>
>>331833059
I can appreciate both as long as they are done properly.
Most of the time devs use a silent protagonist as a get-out-of-writing-a-character-free card and just claim it's so you can "self-insert"

Of course on the other hand some protagonists are so badly written that you wish the devs had realized how garbage they are and taken the easy way out.
>>
>>331833059

Both is pretty fine by me. As long as the story is good and the protagonists didn't spend too much time angsting because I play for fun not that.

What is your favorite subgenre of RPG?
SRPG because I like tactical games. probably because too much tabletop games for me.

What is your favorite RPG game?
Tactics Ogre and Ogre Battle series.

Which is why I am making a similar game to them because Square Enix can't be arsed to make a non-mobile SRPG nowadays. Got greenlighted already :^)
>>
File: 1454312427158.jpg (65 KB, 470x535) Image search: [Google]
1454312427158.jpg
65 KB, 470x535
Someone's gotta start anyway

JRPG > WRPG
>>
>>331836398
What's the name of your game friend? I loved Tactics Ogre.
>>
>>331836718
Street Posse Showdown
>>
>>331833059
>self insert rpg with tons of dialogue to choose from
>isometric with turn base combat

Don't have one in particular... the last one I really liked was Shadowrun Dragonfall, but it's been in a while (three month) since I played a RPG.

BTW, my favourite rpg of all time is BG2 (yeah, I know, t doesn't have a good choice for dialogue and it's with pause, but nostalgia)
>>
>>331836921
Not sure how I feel about the setting but it looks neat. I'll be keeping an eye on it.
>>
>>331833059
I prefer self-insert RPG, gives you more room to role play and makes the immersion greater. But the other can be done just as well, its just harder.
>>
>>331836921
looks pretty good, like the setting, might buying it when it cames out.
>>
>>331833059
Don't care so long as I can build te character however I like
Actual Rogue-likes but mostly just turn based in general
Probably Wizardry 8 or something out of the golden box ones.
>>
>>331833539
>I cant get over the MMO sidequests
Trust me, you only really need to do the timed sidequests. You'll either have to have the patience of a saint to do them all like I did or just be THAT into the world itself.

>wierd as combat system where almost every enemy I faught needed to be toppled.

I don't recall every enemy needing to be toppled, but it's been a while since I've played.
>>
File: Sticker_McGruff_Drugs01.png (58 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Sticker_McGruff_Drugs01.png
58 KB, 250x250
>>331834176
>coking out
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.