[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok, so honest and brutal opinions, is firewatch actually a decent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: Firewatch1.png (636 KB, 1012x1449) Image search: [Google]
Firewatch1.png
636 KB, 1012x1449
Ok, so honest and brutal opinions, is firewatch actually a decent game or is it another one of these pretentious hipster games? Like gone home or whatever sjw bullshit games.

From the trailers it looks like a game where you explore a forest and also there's some sort of mystery going on. Now that definitly sounds like my kinda game. I love the outdoors, especially the woods, and I love me a good ooker spooker mystery. But I don't wanna play this shit and find some try hard deep hipster message. I just want a video game about exploring the woods and uncovering mysteries. So Is that all this game is? If so I might get it, but if it's got some gay sappy message shit I won't be interested
>>
>honest and brutal opinions
I didn't play it and neither did 90% of the other people that talked about it and I don't give a fuck about it or that unpleasant reality I just mentioned.
>>
The "mystery" is shit. The dialogue sounds good and natural, but it doesn't really have anything else going for it.
>>
>>331797701
It's a boring walking simulator, you can't even jump to abuse mechanics/physics and have some fun in this otherwise unremarkable game. The color scheme is good, I suppose, and maybe you are the kind of "gamer" that will appreciate the whole "modern artpiece" fleur it has going on, but I doubt it.
Pirate, then buy.
>>
File: 11179-petebully.jpg (12 KB, 320x230) Image search: [Google]
11179-petebully.jpg
12 KB, 320x230
>>331797701
Bump for interest (didn't play it yet either)
>>
>>331797701

not worth your time. bad gameplay, bad story. flavor of the week type crap
>>
I was bored and the canned first person animations (climbing, etc) gave me a headache.

Ending was trash.
>>
I played it. It was somewhat fun to go through, but was just disappointing in the end.

It's an indie hipster game through and through.
>>
>>331797701
can't believe such a limited casual """""game""""" made it to fucking E3.
>>
>>331797701
It's a nice way to waste a few hours. Mystery is neat but not mind blowing. Get out before you get spoiled.
>>
>>331797701
It's not worth the amount of money it's sold for and you can get the exact same experience of playing the game just from watching some youtube play it because it's entirely story driven and there are no failure conditions that I know of.

The story itself is sort of nice and would make for a nice short story perhaps, however it fucks itself up trying to over-create mystery by just creating some actually broken sized plot holes. Not just little "why didn't this person do this?!" facebook meme level plot holes, but actually what seems like complete oversights, loose ends, dropped storylines, etc.

Also, it's literally impossible to save Forest Byrnes.
>>
>>331797701
I literally finished watching it 5min ago from the only LPer I give a shit about.

It was shit. Complete, absolute, hot shit.
>>
>>331797701
Your choices don't matter
The world is boring
It's short as fuck
The mystery ending sucks
>>
>>331797701
gone home is a better game.

>>331798091
is wrong, dialouge is fucking shit. they don't hire actors to do VA, and in this game it really really shows, dragging the hole game down. watch a small part of it, if you can believe the actors then buy it, if you think the actors are just reading their lines don't get it.
>>
>>331797701
Doesn't matter. 500,000 copies sold, probably more. That plus VR means shit narrative first walking sims are here to stay for a long while. This of course it's also your fault /v/ for giving attention to the jewess and the rise of SJW shit which let to the release of Gone Home. Gaming is shit thanks to all of you.
>>
>>331797701
I watched it all on youtube.

I liked the nude guy sketch at the beginning.

Dialogue was great. Story was yaaawn when it turns out it's nothing supernatural.
>>
File: it stinks.gif (625 KB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
it stinks.gif
625 KB, 240x180
>>331797701
It's a better Walking Simulator than Gone Home, Dear Ester, etc. Probably the best walking simulator besides the Stanley Parable.

But it's still a walking simulator. Not really worth the money unless you really don't care about spending 20$ for a four to five hour game with next to zero replayability.
>>
>>331797851
So why are you here?
>>
>>331797701
I haven't played it, but from what i have gathered the game has the following problems:

>the park is pretty lifeless
>the ending is shit/a big cop-out
>the mystery's solution feels rushed/another cop-out
>barely anything to do
>certain choices don't matter/the game downright ignores some of the choices you made and follows a specific path
>you never get to do any goddamn firewatching
>its really short for a game that expensive (most people reply to this with "but people pay the same price to watch a movie thats even shorter than the game!")
>"I expected a mystery story, but all i got was a flirty woman on a walkie-talkie."

Honestly, if you want to play it, either pirate it, or wait until the price drops/there is a BIG discount.
>>
>>331797701
It's the first game made by a studio who has done nothing else. People only got hyped for it because of a drought of non shit games. 3/5 game. Play it and forget.
>>
do people really think this trumps gone home in the walking simulator genre?

gone home at least had believable voiceacting and characters, in firewatch it's never stated why the other firewatch likes the player, and every interaction between them seems like a chore for them.
>>
>>331797701
>Ok, so honest and brutal opinions, is firewatch actually a decent game or is it another one of these pretentious hipster games?

Definitely a pretentious hipster game. Slightly more gamelike than something like Dear Esther, but only slightly.
>>
Alright, OP. The game is interesting and nice looking at first with characters that are a bit obnoxious throughout.

The problem is that it all falls apart pretty quickly as it gets near the end. It relies on some stretches of imagination and seemingly irrelevant drama that isn't deserved. It wants you to feel for things that had VERY little build up (in fact what was mostly a side story for the majority of the game) or what little they did build, they threw at you all at once.
>>
a huge disaapointment for me. thought it was some sort of exploration game, turned out to be fairly linear and the mystery was a huge letdown
at least the soundtrack is decent
>>
>>331797701
It's pretty bad but I wouldn't say its pretentious, it just feels half done, the mystery they were building up got scrapped halfway through and then the game just ends. Its like they had a plans for more but forgot what they were going it.
>>
OP here, thanks for all the opinions. I was genuinely considering buying this but turns out it's another peice of indie hipster trash. I owe you guys :^)
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.