[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Dante a badass or a Mary Sue?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: Dante_4.png (333 KB, 504x880) Image search: [Google]
Dante_4.png
333 KB, 504x880
Is Dante a badass or a Mary Sue?
>>
>>331794752

A badass mary sue
>>
>>331794752
mary sue. sorry, the wiki article explain what mary sue is.(and the name for male characters).
>>
>>331794876
This.

He's pretty much designed to be perfect in every way, and that's fine. But you can't really argue that there is much more to him as a character. He's a self-indulgent power fantasy.

His brother is a little better since he has some motivation for being power hungry. But it's not like Devil May Cry is supposed to be high-brow litterature.
>>
>>331795358
He tremendously fails with any of the girls he meets. How is that a mary sue and power fantasy?
>>
dante is only as badass as the player
>>
He's an anime protagonist which is a different thing than a mary sue.
>>
File: 1458703405829.jpg (72 KB, 720x690) Image search: [Google]
1458703405829.jpg
72 KB, 720x690
Used to love the fuck out of him when I played DMC1 for the first time. Thought he was fucking awesome with the release of DMC3. But nowadays I really don't like his character, same goes for Bayonetta and those other kind of characters.

There's certainly a charm to them but I'm not feeling it anymore.
>>
>>331794752
Being that he is an original character in his own IP, rather than the product of fanfiction, Dante is not a Mary Sue (or Gary Stu if you are a stickler for terminology).

Dante is, however, the main character. Thusly, he cannot fail utterly, and he must be more than capable to rise to the challenge set before him.

Now the Dante of DMC and Uncle Dante are quite different, because they fit different archetypes, at least to a degree.

Uncle Dante is far more mellow because he is something of a mentor to his nephew Nero. Since Nero is much closer to the Dante of DMC3, Dante himself cannot be so very over the top. He can, however, be more than capable of picking up the slack should Nero find himself in a difficult spot. Which is what he does.

tl;dr: Dante is a plot armored MC in a series than takes itself more or less seriously depending on the game. And he is arguably merely a secondary MC in DMC4.
>>
>>331795358
>designed to be perfect in every way
That is not necessarily what a Mary Sue is
>>
>>331796534
Protagonists of their respective universes can be mary sues. It does not necessarily require the character to be a fanfiction.
>>
>>331795723
>He tremendously fails with any of the girls he meets

You mean the the two girls that constantly hang around him afterwards?

Pretty much any hardships he faces is played for jokes, with some exceptions being the endings of 1 and 3.
>>
File: Sol_Badguy.png (1 MB, 1076x2396) Image search: [Google]
Sol_Badguy.png
1 MB, 1076x2396
People act as if a Mary Sue is inherently bad
>>
>>331796132
How can you not love him in DMC4? He's all fun and doesn't take anything seriously. Hell, look at the OP image. That is the original promo image. Every previous picture had him do badass or dramatic pose, here he's just shrugging. That's hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd6dR7bNn3I
>>
>>331796740
Yes it does, because the original Mary Sue and the source of the definition was one.

A main character that can do no wrong and wins at everything in an actual IP is just bad writing. See The Sword of Truth.

OC Donut Steel with the same traits but in unlicensed version of the IP is a Mary Sue.
>>
>>331796870
Yeah, and they both friend zone him. He's a tragic and relatable protagonist, that's why people like him.
>>
>>331797423
>He's a tragic and relatable protagonist, that's why people like him.

Haha.

No.
>>
File: mocap.png (713 KB, 833x1666) Image search: [Google]
mocap.png
713 KB, 833x1666
>>
>>331798157
i think it was a joke
>>
>>331797401
>People keep using the word Mary Sue as if it only meant "this character is the strongest/the best", when that's just one of the many possible things a character needs to be considered a Mary Sue:

>All the story revolves around the character
>All characters exist to either aid or antagonize
>All his/her decisions are proved to be right ones
>His/her morals will always be the correct ones
>Everybody loves the character and supports everything the character does, except for the antagonists who are clearly wrong and evil for doing so

>Actual Mary Sues are really hard to come by, most of the time is just a case of the author's waifu/husbando/fetish.
>>
Like DMC1. Honestly, I never found Dante cool. He feels like some little kids idea of cool. A cocky, demon-killer who's also a demon, plays guitar and loves pizza.
>>
>>331794752

He's white, tall, muscular, wisecracking, etc... So for a short, needledick, ching-chong who's obsessed with western biker culture, yes... He's a Mary Sue.
>>
There's a difference between a Perfect Individual and a Mary Sue, usually in how other characters in the story interact with them. If all characters talk only about the MC and he never does any wrong or has any weaknesses, then its probably a Mary Sue. If he's just a character that has few weaknesses and is rising to every challenge, then the characters flaws are probably not meant to be a focus of the story, and its just a Perfect Individual archetype.
>>
>>331794752
He is a Mary Sue/Marty Stu/Gary Stu.
>>
>>331797023

I like Sol Badguy, but he's pretty much the worst character in GG:

>Strongest most fastest Gear, unique snowflake from all the rest because he was a prototype and thus too badass to be controlled by Justice.
>Good-looking aloof daredevil that plays by his own rules, with his own middling sense of justice and guilt to give the character some flimsy sense of purpose.
>Smartest and most best scientist ever that was the linchpin of society as he basically invented magic.
>Invented the Outrage: strongest most powerful and bestest weapons in the world.
>Everything basically revolves around him.
>Primary rival painted to look like a total square white knight, who eventually actually becomes an interesting and nuanced character with a similar guilt complex but actually well-done and undergoes a change in personality.

In Xrd they made him borderline retarded. He wasn't too bad in AC when his dialogue consisted of "tch", and "get lost."
>>
>>331799828
>he's pretty much the worst character in GG
I think you mean Ky. Who is actually a mary sue
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.