[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is realistic graphics supposed to make a game better?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: challenges.jpg (480 KB, 640x800) Image search: [Google]
challenges.jpg
480 KB, 640x800
Is realistic graphics supposed to make a game better?
>>
Not always. Most of the time it's good art style.
>>
>>331767345
No but people are more likely to forgive errors if the visuals are good.
>>
File: epikos4.png (43 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
epikos4.png
43 KB, 1680x1050
Dunno.

That said, I am enjoying Epikos.
>>
Ability to distinguish what's going on the screen is more important than realism. Unfortunately, a lot of old games look like a mess of pixels due to technical limitations.
Nowadays we have the ability to make games that are more sophisticated stylistically, making it easier to distinguish objects, etc.
>>
File: lord_british.jpg (23 KB, 200x268) Image search: [Google]
lord_british.jpg
23 KB, 200x268
Ultima 4 shits all over Fallout 4. It's free on gog too.
>>
>>331768645
Is that shroud of the avatar game any good?
>>
>>331767345
To an extent. Better graphics help with immersion.
>>
>>331767969
How is that? I just looked it up after your post.
>>
>>331767345
Yes but it doesn't work like that
>>
>>331768216
Bollocks. Ever since NES we were more or less able to distinguish items on screen.
>>
>>331768753
No idea. Tracey Hickman is a good writer though.
>>
File: epikos.png (11 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
epikos.png
11 KB, 512x512
>>331768814
It's pretty fun so far. Feels a bit like a "condensed" version of Ultima 5.
The battles are more "tactical" in nature, as each char has a specific set of battle skills.
Hope it won't be short.

The music is garbage, tho - so I replaced it with Ultima 5 Lazarus music. I'll put the folder here if anybody's interested.
https://mega.nz/#!IwQXVaaZ
>>
>>331767345
If the game is going for realism, yeah.
Better graphics in general makes the game better but a game with bad graphics can still be good.

Graphics (and art design) are a contributing factor to the overall quality of the game, but is rarely a dealbreaker.
>>
>>331768216
>Unfortunately, a lot of old games look like a mess of pixels due to technical limitations.
Not really. A lot of older games are super easy to tell what's going on because they had to make everything represented by a simple symbol that had to stand out.
>>
It depends, for some games it's just the setting and something cartoony wouldn't feel right, like if rainbow six had borderlands cell shading. Yet some games use it as a gimmick or because they want to, I honestly think a more cartoonyish Tim burton look to the souls series could be really cool.
>>
>>331767345
no, it's either to make the game look good or show of your company's game-engine dong
>>
>>331767345
Define "better". Until you do this "discussion" (i.e. bait) is pointless.
>>
>>331767345
I think you are able to accomplish more with better graphics and computers like ultima 7 compared to the early games. That said I do enjoy ASCII roguelikes.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.