[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Total War
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: totalwar.jpg (36 KB, 620x300) Image search: [Google]
totalwar.jpg
36 KB, 620x300
Which Total War game is the best?
>>
rome 1
shogun 2
shogun 1
medieval 2
in that order
the rest is irrelevant
>>
NapoopaN TotaUatoT
>>
>>331747641
Depends heavily on what you want. Shogun 2 is damn good, but clans are basically the same with some stat differences here and there.
>>
>>331747641

Medieval II is my personal favorite.
>>
Really, just pick whichever setting you find most interesting and go with that one.

Also, Napoleon > Empire
and Rome II > Rome
despite what everyone says.
>>
It depends if the talk vanilla or moded.

Vanilla: Rome
Mods: Empire.

Empire was pretty bad in vanilla form.
>>
My opinion is
>Medieval 2
>shogun 2
>Rome 1
>Rome 2 (with extensive modding)
>
>
>Empire and Napoleon

I just didn't have a fun time with line battles as i did with the other period battles.
i'll not that i haven't played Atilla yet and am not really looking forward to total:warhammer.

I'm waiting for a proper Byzantine, or Jewish/Syrian revolt, or Ancient Greece styled with Herodotus game.
>>
>>331747957
you're fucking bonkers mate
>>
Shogun 2 vanilla or fall of the samurai
Attila with or without Charlemagne
Rome 1
Medieval 2

Fuck they're all good. Even empire and Rome 2 were fun as fuck. Can't wait for total warhammer
>>
Shogun 2, particularly with Fall of the Samurai expansion. It's the most polished (be it in terms of period detail or gameplay balance or whatever), it displays all the strengths of modern Total War (like UI-improvements, the least bad AI in the series, all the new features like naval battles and attrition/replenishment system) and works around the weaknesses of Warscape engine that plague other post-Empire games (for example, by implementing samurai film-esque aesthetic complete with blood effects straight from the final scene of Sanjuro, the absence of proper unit collision and fully statistic-based combat resolution WORKS, FoTS also has the added advantage of being focused around ranged combat which the engine does well).

Generally speaking the setting is a very major influence in how much you like each given game, however.
>>
Attila Total War
>>
medieval 1 because you could incest
>>
>>331749690
Pretty much this.

I think they're all good and have put in tons of hours into all of them. Only one that didn't grab me was Empire but that was because I was really more interested in the Napoleon wars and Napoleon pretty much delivered on that front.

Rome and Medieval II play fast and brutal and that's always fun and Attila has that feeling as well. One thing I really didn't like in Rome II was how the fights slow down into a slog especially if you play with greek city states. The fucking melees take SO LONG and nobody is breaking and the arrows and slingshots do shit all.

The fighting tactics and how they feel are all different in all the games. Shogun II is probably the simplest and easiest to get into with it's pretty clear rock-paper-scissor focus. Medieval and Rome have more focus on cavalry charging and Attila and Rome II have more focus on skirmishing and enveloping tactics and cavalry is usually for mopping up routing people. And Napoleon is glorious cannon and line combat with smoke everywhere.
>>
>Stainless steel 6.4 as crusader states on very hard and no combat limit

I might have bitten off more than I can chew.
>>
>>331749765
Shogun definitely is the most polished but has the simplest unit roster and that can get pretty bland. It's like early game Attila with some factions when you have dozens of fights against armies of germanic spear levies.
>>
File: 1362693669646.jpg (511 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
1362693669646.jpg
511 KB, 1680x1050
>>331747641
I come from the future. Total Warhammer: End Times edition.
>>
>>331747641
Rome and Medieval II.

Attila could almost be great. But there's something about it that just doesn't click.
>>
>>331750504
I have no idea how could humans thrive in a scenario with such fantasy creatures. We don't breed fast, we aren't the only intelligent ones, we are not the strongest physically. The only reason we rule earth is because every other creature is dumb as fuck and doesn't have the tools and technology to do the job. In a playfield like in Fantasy Warhammer or any other fantasy games, humans would just lose.
>>
File: 1419898146835.jpg (2 MB, 2033x2850) Image search: [Google]
1419898146835.jpg
2 MB, 2033x2850
>>331750996
>I have no idea how could humans thrive in a scenario with such fantasy creatures.
By the grace of the gods!
>>
>>331750996
Humans are actually one of the most numerous species, save for Orks
They have tonnes of land and have a literal god on their side
Even in 40k, it's 'god' (the emperor) who stops the forces of chaos from taking over completely
>>
File: 1458656363470.jpg (9 KB, 250x248) Image search: [Google]
1458656363470.jpg
9 KB, 250x248
>>331750996
its almost like its entirely fiction or something
>>
>>331747641
Attila and Napoleon are the best in terms of the pure Vanilla experience as envisioned and released by CA. You can actually play them without any mods and they're more than acceptable and often actually good. Medieval 2 for the overall experience, but it took us a long time to get there and anyone who thinks otherwise is a fucking newfag who doesn't remember what a monumental clusterfuck it was upon release.
>>
Rome 1
>>
>>331751629
battles in Attila are a complete mess without mods. They somehow made the AI worse.
>>
>>331751467
>>331751217
Is human god THE GOD? Why does he favor us?

>>331751574
Offcourse anon, i'm only questioning the consistency. For example, in LOTR orcs are relatively weak, dumb and lack leadership in comparison to humans and elves. Therefore, the other races trive in detriment to orcs, so it makes sense. It's just that in those fictions, humans end up being completely dull and lacking positives in comparison to other creatures so it makes no sense that humanity would become such powerhouse. Just some food for thought.
>>
>>331751629
>but it took us a long time to get there

hehe yeah man I remember we had to comfort Townsie cause he preordered it and almost had a mental breakdown, he was an oldfag too! Then there was Jackie. Oh he was mad with CA. We managed to stick together though, and we pulled through
*leans back in rocking chair*
*lights tobacco in clay pipe*
Those were the days
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.