[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ready Player One
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (124 KB, 312x475) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
124 KB, 312x475
Just finished listening to the audiobook, it was pretty awesome, especially if you're a nostalgiafag.

Any anons here liked it? Didn't like it?
>>
File: 1455159732111.jpg (159 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1455159732111.jpg
159 KB, 1280x720
Reported for shit taste.
>>
>>331731389
Either contribute to the thread or get the fuck out, not everyone has to have your taste.
>>
>>331731260
loved it

but I read it like a real book lover and not you casual audiobook-listening cancerfag
>>
>>331731897
I usually read my books, this was only the second one I have listened too.

I saw will weaton was the one reading it so I had to try it out, he did pretty good.
>>
OP (an OP, or "original post", is the first post in a thread on 4chan. 4chan is an imageboard created in 2003), I too enjoyed "Ready Player One", a 2011 book filled with references to classic video games, music, and anime (anime is Japanese animation) written by Ernest Cline. My favorite part was when Minerva X, a robot with breast rockets from the 1970s anime Mazinger Z, showed up.

Christ what an awful book.
>>
File: 1454617401721.jpg (51 KB, 395x457) Image search: [Google]
1454617401721.jpg
51 KB, 395x457
>>331732138
>I saw will weaton was the one reading it so I had to try it out

You're going to have to try harder than that to bait.
>>
>>331731260
one of the biggest pieces of fucking shit i have ever had the unfortunate displeasure of reading. right behind hitchhikers guide
>>
>>331732212

> Book was all about references

You completely missed the point, kys familia
>>
>>331732296
I'm not baiting......or maybe saying I'm not baiting is the bait, who knows.
>>
I refuse to read this for the simple fact that I'm afraid that by reading it I will consent to being treated as a ready player.
>>
fucking book reads like someone's bad fanfiction
>>
A book about the mythologization of nostalgia and popular culture is a great concept but it's bogged down by Ernest Cline being a fucking horrible writer
>>
>>331731260
In case you're wondering, the book is fucking awful. Totally uncreative hackfest by a narcissistic Jew.

A podcast called "I don't even own a television" brutally excoriated the author and this book. It's pretty savage.
>>
videogame (or videogame based on X) book thread?
>>
>>331735385
m8 these people suck. "man this book sucks heheheh hahaha. yeah totally man but it's also so bad hahaha hohoho"
>>
>>331736117
Shut up Ernest
>>
>>331736851
>Shut up Ernest hahahaha hmhmhm

but seriously, setting the book completely aside these people are awful. don't ever suggest this to anyone else.
>>
>>331737196
Shut up Ernest
>>
>>331731260

It was an ok and kinda fun read, but as others have said many times, the 80s references are relentless and self indulgent. There were a few interesting things about the setting that I really liked, the trailer stack was interesting and I really like the corporations using their employees which are basically mmo goldminers, I though they were pretty relevant to video games, but it's a shame the author really didn't do much else other than the shameless 80s wanking
>>
>>331731260

Read it. Wasn't very good, wasn't bad enough that I stopped reading it. Definitely not something I'd recommend reading or ever feel like reading again.

Assuming it's the book I'm thinking of. I don't remember the title well enough. Some grim future where the kid plays VR Facebook in some favela hellscape and then Willy Wonka creates a magical realm of references to find who has the most upboats to get his fortune? Also he has an internet girlfriend who he never knew was a girl THIS IS LIKE THE AUTHOR IS WRITING IT JUST FOR ME WHEN WILL I GET MONEY FOR MY BIG BANG KNOWLEDGE AND GET AN UNKNOWN INTERNET GIRLFRIEND WHO HAS SEEN AN UNFILTERED ME OH GOD I HAVE TO READ IT AGAIN
>>
this book is this total dogshit
>>
>>331738130
I read it. Thought it was alright. I have a huge hard-on for VR shit, so I glossed over some of the shittiness, I think.

His next one was even worse. I thought it could get better, but nope.
>>
garbage

can we get a futuristic setting that ISNT rooted in the author's childhood years? Futurama was enough The-future-is-an-80s/70s-fantasy-land
>>
>>331731260
So fucking bad
>le 80s XDDDD
>underdog kid goes against the big mean corporation in a VIDEO GAME
>more 80s shit
>love interest is a fat girl with a birthmark that is proud of being fat
>DID I MENTION THE 80S?
>best friend of author self ins- I mean main character is a fat black lesbian that pretended to be a white man because "muh privlig" and was kicked out of her house for being a lesbo
>E-I-G-H-T-I-E-S
>megacorp that has thousand of slaves/employees working on figuring out a puzzle couldn't put together dorm thing involving an incredibly iconic DnD module that Willy Wonka liked
>dude 80s lmao
>shitty writing
>protag manages to infiltrate the megacorp and steal sensitive data somehow
>remember the 80s? I sure do
>>
>>331739039

Next one as in a sequel? Same setting/characters? Didn't even know he did that.
>>
pretty standard genre fiction.

does it's job, not particularly amazing but not bad
>>
>>331739621
>standard genre fiction
>not bad
>>
A podcast I listen to had a bit where they would search twitter for people saying good things about "Armada" and then proceeded to call these people and trying to find out why anyone would like this shit.
>>
>>331739526
Nope, next book in general.

It was about how the military used a game to train up civilians using what was essentially a simulation/arcade dog-fighting multiplayer game, and a Planetside-esque game with MECHS. Top players were put into drones, and then they fought off the ayylmaos. The twist was that the ayylmaos weren't evil, and the MC brought peace to the world while some other fags were going to blow shit up.

Featured a slightly anti-social MC, a love interest that wasn't developed at all (and who didn't need no man), and a variety of other characters whom I've forgotten about. Some light-novel esque book about a dude being trapped into a little girl's body in an MMO made by some tranny anon was better than that shit. At least I laughed at some of the situations there. Cost me less too.
>>
I read it and it was some of the worst shit I've ever read.

There's two fucking pages of this book that are literally just a list of the things the main character likes.

There's a chapter where all the main character does is recite a movie he knows by memory.

I don't even agree with /v/'s irrational hate on things most of the time. I really like Dark Souls 2. But fuck this book, it's awful and if you like it you need to read better fucking books.
>>
>>331737864
The trailer stacks, while vaguely interesting, are also fucking retarded because
1. people in Oklahoma wouldn't congregate around cities, they would space themselves the fuck out
2. rickety fucking trailer stacks in a tornado-prone region, what a fantastic idea
>>
>>331739816

That sounds like a shitty Ender's Game/Old Man's War crap. Welp.
>>
It was bretty gud. The writer did have a huge 80s boner when writing it though which just got ridiculous at parts, but overall it was a 6/10
>>
I didn't like it, too many references, not enough plot.
>>
Started out better than it ended. I didn't like how every single problem got solved because the MC got a reference and knew exactly what to do.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.