[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
No lying /v/ When was the last time you bought and used a strategy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7
File: mon hon.webm (3 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
mon hon.webm
3 MB, 960x540
No lying /v/

When was the last time you bought and used a strategy guide?
>>
Literally never. I assumed that only people who either have never played a videogame before or just suck used them.
>>
>>331580717
haha, what game? thats not really MH.
>>
None. Back in the day the fun was learning yourself and the games were simple enough, just hard. Nowadays there's the internet, and games are so dumbed down that it's insulting and anyone needing a strategy guide to win at 90% of the shit on the market must be terminally retarded. And I mean actually fucking retarded as in needing a helper to get dressed and eat in the morning.
>>
Dead Rising 2. I really don't know why I bought it.
>>
mario 3, it was awesome

all the levels were mapped out

my sister took it, almost immediately after I got it, and I never saw it again
>>
The godfather for the ps2.
>>
Mine may have been Xenosaga Ep.1 or Final Fantasy XII.
>>
>>331581174
try FF12 without a guide. You WILL miss probably every good thing in that game
>>
File: no regret.png (39 KB, 292x244) Image search: [Google]
no regret.png
39 KB, 292x244
>>331580717
FF7 crisis core
>>
>>331580717
Probably when I was young for some game I wanted to find the secrets and items on.
Once I discovered the internet I never went anywhere else when ever I needed help on a game.

Nowadays I generally try to get as much done and collect as many things as I can myself until I hit a wall, then I'll consider looking up guides.
>>
Mario Party for the snes, the game came with one fucking huge guide with all there is to know about the game.
>>
>>331581975
You'll definitely miss the best weapon, that's for sure.
>>
File: 51B2JN1WZ0L[1].jpg (52 KB, 360x475) Image search: [Google]
51B2JN1WZ0L[1].jpg
52 KB, 360x475
FF IX
>>
>>331581638
Actually, never mind. It was Super Mario Sunshine.
>Dem blue coins, mane.
>>
>>331580717

I think it was alongside the FFXII collectors edition. Been awhile, used to grab them religiously alongside every mainline FF release just because I loved poring over all the info and secrets but that died after XII
>>
Onimisha 2.
You pretty much NEED a guide for the gift system.
>>
>>331580717
Never.
I've had people buy them for me as gifts though, usually for games I don't even own.
>>
>>331582268

FUCK THEM FOR GIVING HALF A GUIDE I STILL HAD DIAL UP WHEN THIS CAME OUT
>>
>>331580893
Its monster hunter 4U, you can only get to this level with the strategy guide though.

I'm not lying at all.
>>
>>331582268
visit playonline.com for more information regarding this quest!
:^)
>>
>>331580861
Yeah, try finding everything in collectathons before the age of the Internet, you'll rethink that stance.
>>
>>331582237
Mario Party wasn't on the SNES, lol.
>>
BradyGames was the shit.
I didnt have internet in 1997.
I would have never discovered Yuffie or the Knights of the Round materia if not for this guide and neither would any of you, faggots
>>
san andreas for the collectibles
>>
>>331580717
Last time I bought one was for Dark Souls because it looked cool, then a while afterwards I remembered why I stopped using guides because a patch came out and changes the value of weapons, thus making the guide utterly worthless compared to the wiki.
>>
San Andreas for PS2 back in 2005.

We were poor and couldn't afford internet most of the time. We would have a connection via dial up maybe a few months out of the year.

Bought the Brady Games San Andreas guide, which was surprisingly riddled with tons of inaccuracies. I was essentially on my own searching for the horseshoes because the book's locations were maybe about 75% wrong.
>>
File: 51waQQmIgAL.jpg (40 KB, 357x500) Image search: [Google]
51waQQmIgAL.jpg
40 KB, 357x500
>>331582758
heres the pic
>>
>>331580717
I think I bought one for RE4 or FF12 I really don't remember.
>>
Never bought one, I always assumed they were too expensive for what they were (even as a kid) and then the internet kicked in and they became relativeley speaking even more expensive.

I use online guides sometimes, I never spoil myself anything important though, it's mostly for minor sidequests that give you no indications at all what to do or where to go so I don't waste my time trying stupid shit.
>>
>>331580717
got one for hyrule warriors to find heart piece and skulltula locations in adventure mode since i had the game before it came out. it's also got some art in it but it wasn't worth the $15 i paid, really. the sad part is that it is extremely easy to find that in game stuff yourself.
>>
Either Yoshi's Story or Pokemon GS, can't remember which.

The GS guide I had was the fucking shit though. Never seen a more in-depth strategy guide. Still a good read to this day.
>>
>>331582860

ok
>>
>>331580717
Dragon Quest 8 for the recipes. Afterward I only bought them as collector's items.
>>
This, I never got to use it however because I had the International Zodiac Job System version so the guide would be useless. Art was wicked though, I'd play more Final Fantasy if Akihiko Yoshida designed every game.
>>
2007/8 When i bought Oblivion, was hyped it for and was a kid. I wanted to be able to read about the game when I wasnt playing it
>>
>>331580717
When The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion released.
>>
I bought a fatass strategy guide for Twilight Princess in 2007, it came with a poster.
>>
>>331580717
Got one for Megaman Legends a month or so after it came out. Used to take it to 5th grade class and read that ish.
>>
I bought one for the half life 2 series. It was slightly damaged instore, so I got it for 21p instead of about £6.
Wouldn't have bought it otherwise, but it had a Hl2DM section with some neat tactics that I hadn't thought of myself, along with stuff like gravity gun jumping etc.
>>
>>331580717
FFXIII

i got the hardcover guide on a whim cause hardcover and used it to see how the weapons scaled :/
>>
>>331580717
Dragon Quest 8, almost 10 years ago. I'm glad I did, it was really well made and I would have been too dumb to make the right items in the alchemy pot
>>
>>331580717
I have the guide books for Uncharted 3 and Skyrim. I got the Uncharted 3 book because it looks beautiful and has great artwork and the Skyrim one came with a really cool map.

I once consulted the Skyrim book for quest info because I didn't play the game for a gap of something like eight months and completely forgot what the hell I was doing.
>>
File: laugh.jpg (67 KB, 682x450) Image search: [Google]
laugh.jpg
67 KB, 682x450
>>331580717
i cant stop laughing
>>
When Xenoblade X came out
>>
File: 1456954264325.png (248 KB, 500x495) Image search: [Google]
1456954264325.png
248 KB, 500x495
>>331586943
>Decide to get the guide so I don't have to spend forever looking for ice cabbages again
>It has a digital version so people just upload the collectapedia pictures to imgur
>The fucking advice for the final boss was literally just "hope your skell didn't break lol"

I still don't know what the fuck kept one shotting me in the vita fight.
>>
I havent bught a strategy guide in forever, but ive heard the Street Fighter ones are useful as frame data look ups
>>
>>331580717
Conker's Bad Fur Day, N64 version
I don't even own the game, I bought it to read it for it's own humorous self
>>
I asked my friend what the OP's webm was from, and all he said was "Fuck off."
>>
>>331587651
its actually really nice when guides give you the information you actually want, when usually its all online. imagine nintendo doing anything like this, as it is they make their fans write patch notes for them.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.