[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Red Dead Redemption 2
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8
File: prepare_your_red_dry_rectum.jpg (75 KB, 600x330) Image search: [Google]
prepare_your_red_dry_rectum.jpg
75 KB, 600x330
Finally R* seem over their Grand Trite Auto-aiming rehash Zika virus and are moving on to REAL open world gaming again...

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Red-Dead-Redemption-Could-Finally-Getting-Sequel-Get-Details-125787.html

Now all we need is Warriors 2 and Vice City 2 / Redux, and the triumvirate will be complete.
>>
>>331360013

I wish it success with SJWs and tumblr
>>
RDR is literally GTA with a western skin. I want a western game that isn't just a reskinned GTA.
>>
>>331360282
any open world game with multiple vehicle or horse transportation can be considered a GTA clone
>>
File: bjeff.jpg (15 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
bjeff.jpg
15 KB, 256x192
>>331360282
>RDR = GTA reskinned

turn your lock-aiming off, faggot
>>
>>331360429
It played exactly the same as GTAIV with even the same game progression. And they even implemented stranger missions into GTAV. I understand what you're saying but GTA has a formula that isn't necessarily the same as other open world games and RDR followed the formula to a t. I think people just like RDR more because it's a different setting than modern day America.

>>331360627
I've never played any GTA with lock on aiming and I don't think I played RDR with it on either.
>>
File: homer_j_bird.jpg (32 KB, 525x521) Image search: [Google]
homer_j_bird.jpg
32 KB, 525x521
>>331360429
except GTA is garbage that's stunk increasingly more since SA, while RDR is still today arguably the pinnacle of the genre
>>
>>331360719
Name an open world game with multiple vehicle transportation that can;t be considered a GTA clone. The only ones are military shooters.
>>
File: sg.png (414 KB, 750x544) Image search: [Google]
sg.png
414 KB, 750x544
>>331360013
>red dead redemption 2
>red dead 2
>>
>>331360940
For the record, I'm not saying they are GTA clones, I'm just saying any game that follows this kind of formula is automatically dismissed as a GTA clone. It's bullshit.
>>
wouldn't it be Red Dead 3
>>
>>331360940
I'm not talking about "multiple vehicle transportation". RDR doesn't even have anything besides horses from what I remember outside of some cutscenes where you're riding in an old car. I'm talking the mission layout and progression and just overall how the game plays. I don't think many people would mix up AssCreed and GTA but if you sat someone down with GTA4 or 5 and RDR to play they would most likely consider them pretty damn similar.

>>331361098
>>331361331
Red Dead Redemption != Read Dead as a series. I imagine this is a sequel to RDR and not another reimagining of the Red Dead series.
>>
>>331360282
>>331360719

always gotta be that one guy.
just stfu and leave if you aren't hype. if you didn't like red dead then this isn't your thread BITCH.
>>
>>331361603
I did like it. I just don't consider it God's gift to open world games like some people do and I didn't realize the only people allowed to post in threads about video games were the ones who think the game is literally perfect with no flaws.

In fact you sound insecure that someone doesn't consider RDR the perfect video game. You might want to see a shrink about that.
>>
>>331361448
It has multiple horses you can tame and ride is what I meant. The distinction would be a game like The Witcher 3 or Skyrim which has only one horse you can ride. Any game that follows the formula of

>open world sandbox
>third person
>multiple vehicles

is labelled a GTA clone.
>>
>>331360719
>people just like RDR more because it's a different setting than modern day America.
that's surely part of it (who the fuck not born yesterday wants another R* game set in the U.S. of Drumpf?), but:
>the game's mechanics were different
>the game's combat felt different
>the game's atmosphere was different
>the nature and period setting is still unique in the genre
>the DLC content was actually good
>the game even had LAN, so can still be played with friends without having to enter the tard universe of lagline
>>
>Sit in a wagon for 10 minutes listening to some character talk
>Turn up somewhere with a bunch of short walls
>Shoot someone
>Get back in the wagon
>Every mission is like this

Why do people like this game again?
>>
>>331361760
AssCreed 1 had multiple horses you could ride and I don't see people calling it a GTA clone.

>>331361856
>the game's mechanics were different
>the game's combat felt different
Do people really believe this? I remember the first time I started playing the game I was thinking about how similar it was to GTAIV. It plays almost identically.

>the game's atmosphere was different
>the nature and period setting is still unique in the genre
Yes, the setting is different. That's what I was talking about.
>>
>>331360013

If it didn't get a PC release, I'll sue. The previous game being stuck on consoles is a travesty.
>>
>>331360013
>Warriors 2
>online and couch co-op
>HD remake
please rockstar, i need this so bad
this game was so comfortable to play with friends
>>
>>331362087
It also isn't a shooter, though admittedly I forgot to put that in the criteria.
>>
>>331362113

*doesn't get

Bah, fucking autocorrect.
>>
>>331362113
lol cuck
>>
Needs
>indians
>and therefore bows and tomahawks
Did RDR have tomahawks?
>barroom brawls
>generally greater emphasis on hand-to-hand, guns should be OP
>tracking missions
>ability to say "yeeha" and "work ya damn nag" on command
>>
>>331362113
This is why consoles will always be better, regardless of their lower power. A game of RDR's stature would never not be on consoles.
>>
Why is the roll mechanic so much better in Red Dead than GTA V? Also there's so many more random events. Almost seems like there's much more happening.
>>
>>331362650

It's just sad because the game was amazing but it had a lot of technical issues like pop in and generally low framerate that would be non issues on PC.

Don't get me wrong, I played it on 360 and loved it but I felt like it was being held back half the time by the console's power.
>>
>>331361734
>I just don't consider it God's gift to open world games
no one's saying that... but what else is there? GTA has been a cookie cutter clone of droning driving and drive-bys ever since SA and the AC's of the world are glorified cut-scenes with token player interaction only there to justify the $60 price tag

RDR has potential, as much of what could be done in such a game was not really explored - as you said: it's a "open world" game at heart - so a sequel has a lot to work with

guns and cars are all GTA has reduced itself to, with little to know innovation attempted or any longer hoped for. R* sell GTA on the strength of its CoD-like hype and the series is more casualware than anything substantive nowadays.
>>
I know its super autistic of me to want it, but I really hope its about John Marston again.

He's such a better character than Jack. I'd even be in favor of them showing him having faked his death so his family could live in peace.
>>
>>331362821
>but I felt like it was being held back half the time by the console's power

get over yourself, cuck.
game wouldn't even exist if it weren't for the glorious console race.
>>
>>331362825
Most open world games aren't good. I'm not saying there are any. But even if it's the best (which I'm also not saying but I can't think of any other ones off the top of my head) it still isn't very good. RDR's open would did nothing for me when I played it. I beat the story and did the hunting and that's it. I never was drawn into the open world. It was the same wandering across an empty desert as any other open world game.
>>
>>331362087
>I remember the first time I started playing the game I was thinking about how similar it was to GTAIV.
similar ≠ same, and just because the playable character's gait is similar, doesn't mean everything is a copy pasta clone

RDR wasn't revolutionary - granted - but it has more potential to go places than the stagnant GTA does... heck, V was so ensconced in its own ways that it left out co-op play in lieu of three, separate protagonists... kek
>>
>>331361927
decent music, decent gameplay, decent graphs, fantastic setting

game was fun
>>
>>331360013
>Red Dead Redemption 2
but john marston dies, the protagonist.
>Warriors 2
the same
>>
>>331362980
Nobody is saying anything to the contrary but it was developed for platforms with half a gig of ram and with GPUs that couldn't even play most games at 720p 30fps at decent settings. I don't mind console games but most games are held back by console limitations. It's less of an issue at the moment but still is one. And with exclusives it's generally sad because they will never be any better. You will never play RDR at anything above 720p and unstable framerate with shitty assets for all eternity.

Unless they want to sell the game to you again for current gen and then again on the PS4k.
>>
>>331361927
Name a game that isn't repetitive. Every single game can be reduced to "go here, do x, leave, etc."

No game has you constantly doing different things the entire game.
>>
>>331362980

Eh, I don't agree with that. Consoles made gaming accessible to normies but if consoles weren't around, it just would have been developed for PC. Consoles are the reason the game never came to PC (since they had to do a lot of fuckery to make it work which made porting nearly impossible) but not the reason the game exists.

The game exists because it's a product consumers will buy.
>>
File: headless horseman goes bowling.gif (2 MB, 440x330) Image search: [Google]
headless horseman goes bowling.gif
2 MB, 440x330
>RDR2
>>
>>331363306

I'm a fucking pussy because I could see myself buying a PS4K for this.

I really, really loved RDR.
>>
>>331363508
Except if you remove the money made from consoles and console games, how different would the industry be? Consoles are and will always be what drives the industry forward. Imagine a game with budgets like GTA V's or Destiny's being PC only?
>>
>>331363091
>Most open world games aren't good.

this is true:
>very limited building exploration
>small 'sphere of interactivity' (rendering sniping and long range weaponry inutile)
>design models obsessed with square yardage over the quality of what's contained therein
>non firearm combat usually spans bearly tolerable to absolute garbage
>questing that boils down to shoot-outs and point-A to point-B fetch quests
>oddly untapped [campaign] co-operatively functionality
>games either SP only or far to multiplayer / death match / MMO-like online grind centric

open world games aren't exactly the quantum computing of vidya, to be sure... but that's kind of why there's till hope -- there's so much to still explore in the genre
>>
>>331363593

Could be RDR2. Or Red Dead 3. Or Red Dead R[subtitle].
>>
>>331362696
I remember the gunplay being a lot more functional as well.

Aiming in GTA V was a huge pain in the ass no matter how much you played with the sliders in the settings. It's like they didn't even test it at all.
>>
>>331360282

Fuck I never noticed that
>>
>>331363718

I'm just tired of Open World becoming a bullet point on modern releases. I don't want every damn game to be Open World, especially series which historically haven't been.

And this is also part of why I'm enjoying FO4. It's a smaller map but denser and more interactive.
>>
File: 03949343.jpg (34 KB, 493x386) Image search: [Google]
03949343.jpg
34 KB, 493x386
>>331363710
>$500 million budget
>700,000 sales
>>
>>331362856
>accepting really contrived explanations just so you can be back with your comfy protagonist

Jesus anon that's exactly how I feel
>>
>>331362856
No. No amount of bullshit can write off RDR's ending as faked. We saw him get shot like a dozen times. He bled out on camera. He spoke to Abigail and Jack right before walking out of the barn. It wasn't a double. If it had happened off-camera I might buy it, but it didn't.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>>331363783
>Aiming in GTA V was a huge pain in the ass no matter how much you played with the sliders in the settings.
On the PS360 maybe, but in the next-gen/PC version they fixed everything that was wrong with it. The run-and-gun mechanic is pretty close to almost playing like Max Payne 3, but since the protagonist always faces forward it's more akin to Vice City/San Andrea's (with maxed weapon skills) run-and-gun shooting.

Even though I love IV, the shooting felt like pic-related
>>
>>331362856

John was perfect for the story RDR was telling -- he was a relic of an age which was in its death throes. His death symbolized the death of the Wild West.

As much as everyone hated Jack, we still felt liberated to do things we never would as John because he was a different person in a different time.

I don't know if I'd enjoy him as much in another story.
>>
>>331364329
>Red Dead Redemption: New Austin Stories
>Play as John Marston back in the day when he rode with Dutch and the gang
>>
>>331364579
>prequel
No.
>>
>>331364664
>>prequel
rockstar's specialty
>>
>>331364579
>Red Dead Revolution
>play as a cowboy desperately clinging to the Old West during the industrial revolution
>>
>>331364579

The problem with prequel stories of that they're never as good as the legend told about them. I'd rather leave his backstory as tales told about a previous life. Adding too much focus would probably remove some of the sheen.
>>
>>331360013
>could

Don't click and give them views, guys.
>>
>>331365847
/v/ really needs to learn how use archive.is .
>>
File: lolo8.png (262 KB, 626x459) Image search: [Google]
lolo8.png
262 KB, 626x459
>>331361856
>drumpf
end your life
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.